Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Yay I'll be able to pick up my Turn X tomorrow!!! I'll be able to start it as soon as I finish my Deathscythe Hell! Let's see where I'm at with the Deathscythe

Oh.

Sanding sure takes a while. (Sorry for lovely camera phone pic)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Is the MG Shining Gundam worth getting? I know it's an older kit, but it's one of the better ones based on the previous reviews I've seen about it.

http://www.amazon.ca/Gundam-GF13-017NJ-Shining-100-Scale/dp/B00030EUBC/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_img_1

My Deathscythe Hell EW still isn't finished and I haven't even touched my Turn X, but it's hard for me to say no. Now I know how backlogs start. :negative:

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Is there any way to "buff" out scratches from sanding? I gave 2000 grit sand paper but I don't think that will work.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Bimmi posted:

Short answer; kind of. Some scratches will always remain no matter what you use on it. This is one reason clear coat over bare plastic is a thing.

They can be minimized greatly, though. Basically you want to use progressively finer grades of sandpaper until you are essentially polishing the plastic. You can also use toothpaste as a final polish but this will impart a high gloss to the plastic which may not be the effect you're looking for.

But again, going over it with progressively finer grades is key. Hitting an area with #2000 grit that was originally sanded with #600 is not going to accomplish very much on its own.

I did use progressive sanding (400 to 700 to 1200), so I don't think it's too bad.

I was planning to use a flat clear coat so I'm glad to hear it should help.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Thanks for the tips! All the videos I've seen haven't even mentioned wet-sanding, so I never bothered. I'll give it a shot. If it turns out well enough, I'll re sand all my parts...

I'll never get to start working on my Turn X. :negative:

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
So I just finished my MG DeathScythe Hell after more than an year from when I bought it and have barely started working on the Turn X I got almost an year ago and now I'm getting this crazy idea of building an MG from every Gundam (except SEED cause SEED sucks). What I really want to know is if there's a good MG for G Gundam. All the good stuff appears to be HG (Fuunsaiki :( ) or the MGs are hard to find and overpriced. Also, if anyone wants to shoot any suggestions for any MG, feel free.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I really like the design for Gyan. I just want to confirm that it's a good build. http://www.amazon.ca/Gundam-Seed-Destiny-Model-japan/dp/B000F8MIHK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446339028&sr=8-1&keywords=mg+gyan *I love the irony of it being listed as being from Seed Destiny.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Sweet. Placed the order. Should give me enough time to finish my Turn X.

I think I prefer the more unique designs than the 'standard' Gundam stuff. I'm eyeing both the Amazing Red Warrior and the Sengoku Astray as my next build. Can't wait.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Today I finally put together my Turn X! Yay! However, I broke my Deathscythe Hell's ankle armour. I do have some plastic cement, but I don't have a good way of holding the two pieces together as it broke at where the armour bends. So now I'm looking for replacement parts at this point. Anyone know a good place/site for replacement parts?

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 19, 2015

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Finished building the Gyan. After building the Deathscythe Hell and Turn X, the Gyan was a much quicker and easier build. I don't get the hate with Gyan. Sure it looks goofy as hell in the wrong pose, but it can look really cool in the right pose.

Only reason why the sword isn't lit is because I didn't set up the LED in the sword correctly. Now I can't fix it cause the screw is stripped. That and the waist armour not being connected to anything are my only real negatives with this kit. I recommend it, especially if it's your first MG. It's pretty cheap.

I'm going to build the MG Fenice Rinascita, which I'm really looking forward to. It's going to take awhile cause I have to move some stuff around to make room. I just want to confirm that the MG Sinanju OVA is a good kit. It's has good reviews, but there's a lot of conflicting reports about it not being able to hold it's weapons and the wrists being really loose.

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 17, 2016

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

BlitzBlast posted:

It can hold them, but it has really heavy weapons and rounded armor that makes posing them a little awkward.

Main thing to worry about is the waist joint, though.

Do you mean in terms of posing or durability?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but did recognista get any MGs? I live the designs but all I find are HGs.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Really disappointing. It bugs me that AGE got so much more attention. I understand why. I just don't like the AGE designs in general.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

TaurusOxford posted:

To be fair, AGE had five cancelled MGs. I hardly call that a successful series.

I meant to say 'more attention from Bandai'. Doesn't make me feel better. Wish there was someway to transfer all that effort into atleast a MG G-Self.

Reds posted:

AGE was meant to be a big seller, G-Reco had reluctant support at best and minimal kits since they clearly didn't expect it to do very well, and had to hurry kits out when it turned out to not flop.

IBO had more support from Bandai before it began than G-Reco did in its entire run.

While I'm glad that IBO is getting a lot of support (cause the designs are great), reading this is still sad.

On a lighter note, I think I know which kit is going to be my next build.

http://www.amazon.ca/MSN-06S-Sinanju-Mobile-Gundam-japan/dp/B0037KLPX6/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1454463312&sr=8-11&keywords=mg+sinanju

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

BlitzBlast posted:

Not happening unless they release MG Full Armor Knight Gundam first.

Seriously do you guys even know how P-Bandai works?

I know that P-Bandai will always break my heart (and wallet).

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Is there a good place to buy stickers for specific kits? I lost the sticker sheet for my Turn X.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Droyer posted:

So I recently moved into a new apartment and yesterday I finally finished putting all my robots up

http://imgur.com/a/DRQsK

Pretty sweet. The posing for most of your stuff needs work though, but that may be because you've just settled down.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I wish the MG RX-0 Banshee came molded in black so I wouldn't have to paint it. I'm in an apartment so I can't set up a good place for painting kits. It's definitely on my list of kits I want to paint.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

What are some good sprue cutters in the 15 to 20 dollar range?

Yea, I'm looking for new sprue cutters as well. I have Xuron Micro-Shear 420 and they sometimes they leave marks on my parts, even when I'm being careful. Tell me if I can find better or if I'm just bad at cutting plastic.

EDIT:

Kuvo posted:

I use this. Its only $10 and works really well.

Seems pretty good for $10. Hard to find good deals in Canada though.

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 26, 2016

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Bimmi posted:

A box big enough to bury yourself in once you die of shame.

Only if it were MG.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

MJP posted:

I'm going to post in SA-Mart once I line everything up for photos, but I've got a chance to trade some kits plus cash for a PG 00 Raiser. I'd like to raise the cash by clearing some backlog that I can probably purchase again down the road. Anyone interested in any of the following? I'm in northern NJ, can meet in Manhattan during the week or at Gundam Planet/anywhere in NNJ over the weekend.

P-Bandai MG Mega Bazooka Launcher - $50
P-Bandai MG Heavy Gundam (not sure I want to part with it yet) - $90
MG Turn A Gundam - $40
MG Zeta Plus C1 - $30
MG Jesta (also not sure if I want to part yet) - $40

If you have an MG Char's Zaku II 2.0 or Gelgoog 2.0 I'd trade the Turn A, Zeta Plus, or Jesta for it straight up.

Would love the Turn A but I'm in Canada. Let me know if that makes shipping too expensive for you.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

MJP posted:

You'd be the one paying it, or rolling the dice on the office postage machine, which I can offer for free albeit with no shipping/insurance.

What's your city and postal code? I'll weigh it out and quote a price.

I'd rather email you directly about this (no PM's). Edited out my email.

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 8, 2016

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

BlitzBlast posted:

G bombed in Japan. It is still unpopular.

That is your answer to every "why doesn't this G thing have a kit?" question.
And SEED gets remastered...

God, Japan has the worst taste... I also hate how SEED has the some of the best designs

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Sorry, was being hyperbolic. Just frustrated that we'll probably not see anything new from G Gundam. I want my sombrero Gundam :(

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Anonymous Robot posted:

I gotta be real with you guys I grew up with G Gundam and it's got a ton of charm and has some great designs but it's an absolutely poo poo series that is just abysmally written.

I know it's not the greatest but I wouldn't call it "absolute poo poo". It's more like a cheesy bad kung fu movie. Sure the story isn't going to be good but drat does it have charm and great fun designs to make up for it.

Back to gunpla, I'm working on the turn a I got from a fellow goon and I'm loving the build! Especially the legs! Can't wait to pose it with my Turn X. I got a nu Gundam waiting and I'm planning to use all the waterslide decals. No, the decal sheet didn't scare me out of that idea. Yes, I'm crazy.

Mad Lupine fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 11, 2016

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I'm going to start panel lining with Zippo lighter fluid and I've heard that this turns the plastic brittle. Anyone here experience this?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
A lot of guides swear by it but what you're all saying makes sense. I never heard about using alcohol before. I've just finished my Turn a and I thought using a wash would be quicker cause this thing has a lot of panel lines.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I've checked the western options for P Bandai and I don't see a pre-order option for Heavyarms so where do you usually go to pre-order P Bandai stuff?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
All this talk about Goufs and Zakus make me want to ask which is the best MG for each? Haven't built either yet.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Yawgmoft posted:

I continue to hold out for a Kampher 2.0 or ver Ka

Same but with shinning/god Gundam.

:negative:

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
Is the RG Z'gok good? I really like the design.

On another note, all of your backlogs put mine to shame.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I don't remember losing pieces but I've lost sticker sheets. Since I don't use most of my decals, especially sticker decals, I don't much care. However, losing the foil sheet for the MG Turn X really sucks. Still haven't found a way to buy a replacement.