Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Also if it's more than 15 years old and isn't a MG you're probably poo poo out of luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's the bit that connects the two GN Sword IIs. It's on the page talking about how you can use all the accessories so I guess you just skipped past it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You'd legitimately be better off trying to paint the decals. The HG was actually designed to make it easier IIRC.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Please don't purchase shame tia.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

For the love of loving God, DO NOT put all of the FA weapons on Unicorn. I have horror photos of what happened to mine when my action base gave out and my FA Unicorn took a 3-foot drop off my shelf.

Glue the action base stable. :ssh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HGUC V2 is good, though it's a bit chunkier than it should be and lacks Wings of Light. Also it has a really loose waist for some reason.

If you want to go 1/100, the old 1994 HG 1/100 V2s actually aren't that bad, all things considered. V2AB is a loving mess, of course, but the base V2 is solid.

Also just wait till Friday when I get to post my updated Gundam X backlog. :getin:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sacrifices must be made in the name of FA Unicorn Plan B.

Speaking of that, guess who totally hosed up painting the Armed Armor BS? I tried stripping and then repriming, but it still looks a little uneven. :negative:

Oh well, at least on the actual FA Plan B it's the one armed armor that isn't transformed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Irisize posted:

Can you, like, build the thing by heart by now?

Hey, only... 1/3rd of my backlog is the same kit.
yes

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Got a HG System Base a while back, and finally got around to building it. And, well, there's only one thing I can really put on it.

Oh wow that lighting is way too bright.

It takes some finangling, but you can fit everything but the extra shields and the boosters. And those you could either put to the side of the Unicorn or just have standing right next to the whole thing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

As far as I know there are just a bunch of guys who are dedicated to trying to find every household solution there is. I mean hell, people use lighter fluid in this hobby.

Also forget Friday, my final Gundam X delivery came in today.

Since I have zero interest in getting Airmaster or Leopard unless I miraculously find them cheaper than I paid for their upgrades, and since there isn't a 1/100 Ashtaron (and the resin one is long out of print) to go with the Virsago, for all intents and purposes my collection is complete! :toot:

You know, unless Bandai announces a new HGAW or MG but DETAILS.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HG X Divider was finished a while ago (and I kind of flubbed it which is why I grabbed that extra HG GX), I started work on HG Airmaster and DX before I dropped them to focus on the Unicorn, and 1/100 DX was my experimental kit for welding. Oh and MG GX has been sitting in a state of 90% completion for a really long time now.

I plan on tearing into this pile as soon as I finish up with FA Unicorn plan B.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

G-bits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I... I literally just said.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Both of those kits are great, but Build Gundam mkII is technically a two in one so.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Gundam X is the best in literally every single way. Get it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gundam mkII 2.0 is also a very nice kit, but it's not the X.

Get the X. :colbert:

Also it's sort of lacking in accessories, so unless you really like that maintenance base thing you should just get the Build mkII.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's good that it's the right height, but they both look awful. :sigh:

ZZ Extra Fit is impressively articulated, and the Wing Zero style Double Beam Rifle is really cool, but everything else is just a total wash.

The head is just a complete mess,

a squashed mess at that, and the backpack is just a shell of its former self. There's no way to hold the beam sabers (not that you'd even bother since they don't provide beam effect parts, the only ones in the box are for the new sabers in the knees), the missile pods don't open up, and there's only two thrusters now.

The decals are pretty nice though. They're obviously inspired by RG Zeta, which is a nice way of showing the two suits are related.

EDIT:

It's kind of sad that the HGUC is still by far the best ZZ out there.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 16, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Eh, HGUC ZZ benefits a lot from some design changes; the upper half of its torso is a bit sharper so you can actually see the collar, the blue arm guards are better proportioned (and the red elbow bits are in the right place!), and the way the shoulder flaps attach on is a lot more stable. Even the shields are less oversized and the legs, as you note, are no longer a clusterfuck of sliding parts. But even beyond that there are some minor proportion changes to make the whole thing look more sleek.

The ZZ is totally a giant mess of a design though, and that's why I love it. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So kind of a weird request here: I'm looking for manuals. Specifically MG GP03, Unicorn vOVA, Victory/V-Dash, F91, Crossbone X1 Full Cloth, Sword/Launcher Strike, Exia, Phenex and the (I doubt anyone will give me these) the HG 1/100 V2 Assault and V2 Buster. If any of you are willing to part with those, contact me at RBlitzman@gmail.com and we can work something out.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I'm not in love with the blue parts of the torso/cuffs/feet. I'm considering spraying them a darker blue, or maybe even black.
This is actually a good idea since MG GX has some awful nubs on the feet.

quote:

1. Wet sand the pieces I'm painting.
2. Wash those pieces with isopropyl alcohol.
3. Spray with Tamiya grey surface primer.
4. Spray with acrylic blue, or black or whatever. I guess something like Tamiya TS-6 (matte black).
5. Spray acrylic clear gloss coat, TS-13.
6. Apply panel line wash using acrylics from gundam pens mixed with acrylic paint thinner.
7. Spray clear flat top coat, TS-80.

Step 2 is overkill; just wash with soapy water. Also you should prime/paint the pieces with two separate coats, not all at once, making sure to wait at least an hour in between. You'll also want to wait a while (preferably overnight) between priming and painting and painting and top coating.

Gundam markers aren't acrylic so trying to use an alcohol/water based thinner will not work.

quote:

Does the surface primer make much difference? poo poo's pricey!

Yes, though if you're going from blue to darker blue/black it's not as necessary.

quote:

Is the gloss coat (step 5) necessary? What does it do?

It seals in the paint, makes the surface smoother so the panel wash can flow better, and makes the surface stickier so the decals adhere better.

quote:

Will doing a panel line wash with acrylic thinner strip the base coats when I remove the excess wash?

Yes. You're planning on using an acrylic gloss coat, so obviously acrylic thinner would go right though that. That's why people usually use enamels.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Could I just use a gloss paint instead and skip the gloss coat?

Gloss paint just matches the sheen, it doesn't keep the properties of a gloss coat.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 17, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

...No, I mean I actually want the physical manuals. Otherwise I'd just go to dalong.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think you need to take a look at dalong again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

To be honest nobody seems to be able to agree on just what gundam markers are.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've messed with gloss paint before and it doesn't feel particularly sticky so v:shobon:v.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Every time somebody in this thread buys a Gundam X, I know.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You are possibly the first person I have ever met who didn't like the Gundam X's design.

Hell people who don't even like the show generally agree that the X looked cool at least.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It starts on the 21st.

Also I have been looking all over for a decent image of the Blast Impulse, and I swear to god it just doesn't exist. Gundam Perfect File has both Sword and Force, would it have killed them to round out the trio? :smith:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The X is the one gundam that actually counts as a WMD though. :v:

It made the opening to one of the ACE games really silly, because after this whole montage of various robots they cut to the GX dropping a Satellite Cannon.

In a city.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

freedom with meteor pack is better :smuggo:

What is the X for? Is it a capacitor of some sort or cooling fins?

The Satellite Cannon is the second most powerful beam weapon in all of Gundam. The Twin Satellite Cannon, of course, is first. The METEOR doesn't even compare.
:goonsay:

The X is a really great design because basically all of the flourishes actually have a purpose. The green gem in the torso is both a GPS and a receiver for the power station on the moon, the X and the various purple bits all over are solar panels to store the charge, and the vents all over are to help it cool down immediately after firing.

The X also doubles as a flight pack. :eng101:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

chumbler posted:

I have a hard time believing anything could beat Wing Zero's buster rifle for raw power, let alone on a gun that is hand-held and doesn't need to hook up to external power.

WZC ain't poo poo. :smuggo:

The Double X is hilarious because they built the thing to store energy even faster than the X, and ended up gathering so much energy they had to fire it out of two cannons.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

seed had many more powerful weapons like Requiem and the Alaska base unless you only mean ones that fit on a mobile suit.

Requiem is literally a SEED Satellite Cannon, and even then it destroys colonies by destabilizing them like the WZ's buster rifle. The SC just straight up blows them up. And the Cyclops system isn't a beam weapon.

madpanda posted:

superman could beat up batman, its science.

The DX is probably one of the weaker Gundams overall actually, it just has the biggest gun.

The Muffinlord posted:

Technically, wouldn't the Moonlight Butterfly be the most powerful weapon ever equipped on a Gundam?

Not a beam weapon! And Turn A isn't even fair to bring up in these kinds of arguments anyways, it's way beyond a WMD.

I'm ready to :spergin: about Gundam X all day, come at me. :downs:

EDIT: Just in case you couldn't tell, that was a joke, please don't turn this thread into a gundam power level debate.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 18, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally, looking up their PG Tactical Arms was when I first realized Red Frame Kai is just the Red Frame with the Tactical Arms strapped to its back.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

Also, while I'm thinking about it, has anyone ever made a conversion kit to turn the MG Gouf 2.0 into a Gouf Custom 2.0?

Yes. Considering the price, though, you'd almost be better off just buying both MGs and kitbashing them together.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You're not getting any use out of the parts order system unless you live in Japan. GK Parts has really cut down on their system to fit Bandai's draconian policies, and HLJ won't give you poo poo unless you prove that it came broken in a package from them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He meant HG God. Which is great, yes, but the RD is even better. :getin:

You'll have to wait for RD Master to come out though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It depends. If you want to do it on the ground, absolutely not. If you're fine with doing it in the air on some ABs, they can pull of a close approximation.

Sideways lunges aren't really a thing HGs are good at. There's not enough ankle articulation, and the knees usually don't bend far enough. The RDs I mentioned should be able to pull it off just fine though!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 19, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's an exceedingly convenient acrylic gloss coat, yes. You can brush or spray it, it's self-leveling so you've got a lot of options.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Not sure what I was expecting from a third Unicorn form, but Destroy Unchained probably wasn't it.

I will probably never own a PG because my favorite designs will never be popular enough to make it to 1/60.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HALLE-loving-LUJAH

I'M NOT EVEN MAD I HAVE A SPARE DX NOW

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EDIT:

OH MY GOD HG V2AB TOO

AND V DASH

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Nov 20, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

HG Wing Zero Fire is from a sidestory.

And MG Dark Matter was kind of obvious as soon as they announced MG Exia RII. I'd say Amazing Exia would be a web-exclusive, but the existence of HGBF Amazing Exia makes me unsure.

Also, and I know this is silly but it's true, it's Hi-Nu Vrabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

no seriously it's vrabe

I'm so happy about MG DX that I don't really care what else Bandai announces, but green frame Norn being a web-exclusive too is just :psyduck:.

Did Bandai finally decide that they released enough MG Unicorns, or?