Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

I think it's supposed to be a variation on Deep Striker Ex-S Gundam, but the size of it suggests it's bigger than a 1/100 scale. PG Deep Striker maybe? If so, holy gently caress that's gonna be a price tag with 3 zeros after it.

Actually it says it's 1/100 scale, in the triangle bit above the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Anyone got the HGUC Zssa?

If so, how was it to build? How is it to pose?

Cause that is a drat fine design. Macrossian in it's missilitude.

Looking at the Dalong review and it's a bit of a brick as you would expect, it has some neat details like hydraulic pistons that slide out when you open the leg missile compartments. But it also has quite a lot of stickers including the missile heads on the arms, the black bits around the wrists, some of the dark green on the chest, the light green bits on the backpack including a lot of curved surfaces and all of the red bits at the joints. It does look pretty stable in spite of that huge backpack. Also, the large missile compartments are just empty on the inside when tilted up so they look awful in that position, but I expect you would have them facing forward 99% of the time so it's not much of an issue.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I am a dumb mother fucker.

Instead of clear green... I now have clear black.

Yes, I know I just sprayed the runner. I'm lazy and I figured I could paint over any nubs that are exposed.

Soooo... now I'm gonna have to strip all of this off and do silver + clear green like I should have in the first place.

Uh... any suggestions for taking off testor's enamel on an entire loving runner?

If it's any consolation, I only got the kid for half price :smithicide:

What kid?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

chumbler posted:

I resisted as long as I could, but Build Fighters has claimed final victory over me. I just ordered a few kits and some basic tools, and my journey down the dark path of plastic crack has begun. How many more souls must you claim before you are satisfied, Bandai and Sunrise?

For reference, I ordered the HG kits for Wing Fenice, Zaku Amazing, and Destiny.

You should get the Gouf R35 too, it's a new mold so the kit is really nicely engineered and fun to build.

Plus just look at this cover art:

That awesome pose, that menacing eye! Every time I look I can hear the twong! sound of it looking at me. :allears:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

People with a little more HLJ experience than me: Is there a way to tell the difference between "backordered" and "we will never get this back in, go find it somewhere else"?

Those get classified as discontinued. Back ordered literally means that they have a standing order with the manufacturer or distributor and they are waiting for it to be fulfilled.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

I hope you realize just how hosed the articulation, or rather the lack thereof, is in that kit.

He bought a loving Neo-Zeong, think about it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I'm thinking about building something, after a hiatus of 10~ years. Can anyone give any advice about the following kits? They're all 1/100 MG.

RX-178 Gundam Mk-II Ver.2.0 A.E.U.G.

XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam Ver.Ka

GX-9900 Gundam X

GN-001 Gundam Exia

The only master grade I've built before was a Zaku II. That was a long time ago, but I'm confident that nothing amongst those kits could be worse than the stupid little cylinder things on the Zaku's leg pipes.

Anyway, any thoughts on which of these is easiest to build? And which will look the best without having to do a bunch of extra stuff beyond gluing/sanding, panel lining and applying a lacquer topcoat? How much of a pain in the rear end are all the decals on Ver.Ka kits?

The GX looks the easiest to me, but it's also my least favourite of the bunch. I really liked the designs in Gundam X, but its kits seem a bit underwhelming.

You should get the X, its got really great engineering and will look amazing with just cleaning up the nubs and panel lining, let alone topcoat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

LeadSled posted:

So, Build Fighters is working exactly as Bandai wishes, and just like last season I've ended up impulse-buying another Master-Grade. Last time it was the RX-78 3.0, and honestly it looks kinda like crap as I didn't do much other than clean up the nub marks and apply all of those goddamn stickers.

Now I've got the MG Tallgeese coming from Amazon, and I'm looking for a way to make this one look better. Is it worth buying the waterslide decal kits I see on EBay? My problem with the stickers is that they started to look like crap about a week after I finished the model, even though I thought I was careful not to let skin oil get all over the area while applying.

Also, I keep hearing about people using floor wax of all things as a topcoat, surface prep, and generally for everything imaginable on these. What the hell?

The waterslides are about a million times better than the stickers, seriously. And people use future because it's literally a really good self leveling acrylic gloss coat, no wax involved.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Crosspostin'

I'd like to sell you guys something: Montana brand Silver (Metallic) Alcohol Dye Ink

This stuff is super, super thin, comes in a dropper bottle, and is incredibly opaque. I'm willing to take up any experiments people would like me to try on this stuff, but basically the thing I've found it's great for right out of the bottle with no other prep or overlay is a brushed aluminum color and texture. Since it's so thin, it shows brush strokes pretty easily. If you use a marker it's not as bad but yeah, it does show brush strokes. While that's not so great for a chrome look, brushed aluminum is cool with me.

Here's a pic I took of using this stuff on bare sprue over some text

And here's how it responds to a flash. Very very shiny.

4.27 for 25 ml. I'll be getting some mileage out of this stuff for sure.

You could try thinning it with some rubbing alcohol and see if it goes on smoother after that.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

signalnoise posted:

You guys totally got me interested and I looked up what a Gundam X looks like and now I'm glad I have personal preferences because I laughed and didn't buy it

How does it feel to have no soul?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

How well-articulated are the HGFC Burning Gundam and Master Gundam (w/ Fuunsaiki)? I'm probably getting them on Thursday when I get paid, but the way I want to pose them when I'm done might be a little tricky.

I know the burning at least has crazy articulation, see here: http://www.dalong.net/review/hg/bf18/bf18_p.htm

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Holy gently caress! :vince::vince::vince:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

I always think the Astrays have the Punisher symbol on their chest.

Someone needs to photoshop that Astray into this:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kibner posted:

Spreading of sanding, would a high grit paper work for removing discoloration left by sprues?

I shave the sprue until it is smooth and level with the surrounding areas of a piece, but it still leaves behind a mark that is a few shades darker than the base color.

The discoloration goes downwards into the plastic, so no. The best way is to leave a lot of nub and slowly sand all the nub away until smooth and then use polishing paper, but that takes forever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kibner posted:

Welp. I have already been leaving a lot of nub and using a knife to slowly shave away.

Guess I will sand them down for my MG and limited edition kits, and do my normal thing for HG.

A knife edge will put more stress on the plastic than sandpaper, especially fine sandpaper. A fresh blade as mentioned by MJP would work better because it is not going to have micro-chipping or a rolled edge from use and therefore pass through the plastic with a minimum of force. If you want to leave no marks sand down the last bit using 2000 grit paper. I hope you are looking forward to about half an hour of sanding per nub. :shepface:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

YamataNoOrochi posted:

It's got soldering too! Which is wonderfully represented! Somebody ripped the whole thing to youtube already, here's how the inside of the head goes together around an LED: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB0aswZ9ywM

Oh my god, the dramatic music, the "Werrrr-Kerchack!" sounds, this is the nerdest thing ever. I'm cringing pretty hard here. :cripes:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

I think I remember hearing somewhere that the MG Turn A was supposed to come with an action base, is that not the case? Mine doesn't have one, at least. What's the right size base for 1/100 kits, anyway?

You might be thinking of the MG Turn X, which does come with a custom AB1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

My unicorn LEDs finally shipped. I cant wait to start building this monster. Maybe I can finish it before they announce PG banshee and I lose interest in the vanilla unicorn.

A-Are you ok? You should take your temperature, I mean, you, build something? Are you sure you don't want to put the box on a shelf instead? If something is wrong we can help you through it, you can rely on us. :(