Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Welp, my very first Gunpla is here.

Guess that'll be the project for the weekend, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Behold, my very first Gunpla:

Filing down the nubs from the sprues wasn't quite as effective as I'd hoped, but everything else seems to have worked out pretty well. Even panel-lined it with a mechanical pencil, though it's quite faint.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are there actually any good, solid transformable kits, or does 'transformable' automatically equal 'floppy, fragile piece of crap'?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Dang, that MG Exia Dark Matter looks so much better than the HG. Its in-show appearance trod this careful line between 'goofy, tryhard mass of spiky plastic' and 'genuinely intimidating', and the MG pushes it way further towards the latter end of the scale.

I've now received Patrick's Enact, the Throne Zwei, and an Action Base in the mail, so that's my weekend set up. Here's to seeing just how floppy the Enact actually is - the Base should at least give me an acceptable Plan B if the answer is 'too floppy'. I also want to give the Arche a go, and if my Enact build goes well, Ali's custom version is a very sexy-looking piece of kit.

Just wish 00 had more good-looking hero suits to set them off with. Maybe the Dynames or Cherudim? Ah, well, at least Reconguista in G seems to have learned its lesson and given the badass Zeonesque designs to the good guys.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So for future Gunpla-ordering plans, how are the HG Dynames and Cherudim? Any red flags I need to know about, or are they solid kits?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Ver.ka ZZ looks pretty good and show-accurate, from a quick GIS. Anything obviously terrible about it I'm missing?

On a related note, how are the Zeta MGs? I like all the main suit designs in that show - the Hyaku-Shiki, the Qubeley, the The O, and the Gundams - and was thinking of using them as my introduction to Master Grades.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
poo poo, I got confused and was looking at a fanmade conversion. Never mind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So I'm making my gunpla shelf into something of a diorama. My plan is to have MG RX-78-2 vs MG Zaku II and HG Unicorn vs HG Sinanju.

For the other matchup, which should I have? I want the other ones to be HGs, to make MSG ones look more dramatic in the middle.

I considered Nu vs Sazabi, but you guys warned me off HG Sazabi.

(e): In fact, how are the Turn A and Turn X HGs?

(second e): WHAT THE HELL THERE'S NO TURN X HG?

Cherudim versus Arche? 00 S2 wasn't great, but the kits are solid by all reports, and there's something special about gun-kata versus laser-foot breakdancing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I really wish SEED had less of a monopoly on the good kits. Its mechanical designs are just so ugly and... well... plasticky (yes, I know everything in this thread is a plastic toy, but I prefer my plastic toys to look like they're representing something more realistic or more interestingly futuristic and alien, not another, fictional plastic toy). Suits that are good to build are one thing, but you need the end result to be visually pleasing as well.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 2, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kibner posted:

Just getting into this hobby after a recent vacation to Japan and buying $100 worth of Acguy kits (Jaburo combo pack, MG kit, and social edition gold HG kit). Because he is just adorable.

I think I might be insane because I absolutely love the looks of just about all the Zeon amphibious suits and want to eventually build a complete line of them.

Juagg centrepiece, of course?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

The Kapool! The best mobile suit ever designed!

He asked for Zeon suits. The Kapool is a proud Amerian design, just like how the Borjarnon has nothing to do with those weird Zaku things. :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ActionZero posted:

Behold the glory of the Agguguy.

Haman thought it was worth fighting in. You ain't going to dispute Haman's taste, are you?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

muike posted:

Do you even know how to neg?

... Are you hitting on me?

Anyway; gonna give my new kits a try tomorrow. See what I learned from the GN-X.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Done the Enact. Why the hell did you guys tell me it was floppy? If anything, its articulation's slightly on the stiff side, though not enough to be a problem. The stickers were fiddly and kept flaking off (yes, I took the proper precautions, it was just those weird angles you're supposed to wrap them across), the small feet make it difficult to balance, the sonic blade looks nothing like the in-show version, and it can't hold its gun all that well, but it's still a beautiful suit that recaptures that sense of awe I felt when I watched the opening few minutes of 00 and watched this fresh, sleek, alien design dance through that ludicrously difficult training course... before some dumb, recycled blue-and-white thing shanked it a few seconds later.

Glamour shots tomorrow, and maybe I'll give the Throne Zwei a go as well. After that, it's time to order the Arche and Ali's Enact - hopefully I can learn from my mistakes and make that one a prettier build.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

You know what? I'm coming around on a few of the AGE designs, the Farsia looks like it might be neat, I quite like the back/shoulder armour. Shame that girl = pink.

The Fawn Farsia has its perks as a suit, but the Farsia itself is literally an immobile, remote-controlled weapons silo into which a girl is stuffed so that she might be fridged to fuel the main character's angst (hence the weird fused-together legs). No matter how nice the suit looks, it's hard to get over that once you've seen it in context. Most of the G1 and G2 Vagan suits are pretty good-looking, though, and all of Woolf's machines (the Genoace Custom, G-Exes, and G-Bouncer) are quite lovely.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Got the Arche, Exia, Cherudim, Dynames, and Ali's Enact on the way. Still need to build my Throne Zwei, but I should be able to get that done soon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Any idea what's next on the G-Reco release calendar? Because the designs are a mishmash of 0079, Victory, and Turn A with modern Gunpla technology, it is my catnip, and the only thing keeping me from blowing my whole budget on everything in the range right now is the tiny pool of available designs (nothing from the Capital Army, the first half's main antagonists? Really, guys?).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

John Carstairs posted:

The Elf Bullock's coming in February, I believe, and the Mack Knife's being released in March, if it's Capital Army suits you want.

Honestly, I want them all, but it especially seems like a shame to only have hero suits without some villains to balance them out. Mask's machines are a good start, but in addition to the neat Towasangan stuff, I could definitely go for some Wuxias and Caitsiths.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Finally got the Throne Zwei done. Behold, my first three HGs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do any of the Tierens come with commander variant pieces? Because I wouldn't mind putting together one of Sergei's S1 machines.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

The Val Varo was half-finished during the OYW, but then that ended and it was left incomplete. Crazy one arm dude just spent 4 years finishing it.

The stupider part was Zeon even having the technology for the Val Varo in a time period where MAs were huge, bulky, and mostly Newtype-use. But 0083's ridiculous tech inconsistencies are the least of its problems.

Not really. It's just an upgraded Bigro with extra weapons from the Adzam, nothing drastic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

The Val Varo is something like five times faster than the Bigro, and yet entirely controllable by an Oldtype with one arm. That is kind of sort of bullshit.

Nah, the Bigro was pretty goddamned fast (fast enough to make Amuro almost black out with the G-forces when it grabbed him), and was also controllable by a single Oldtype pilot. That was its primary selling point, being big, tough, and faster than anything a mobile suit could manage. The VV just upped the agility a little and stuck on more guns.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Did the Gundam 00 line not do well? It seems pretty light on MGs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is the Over Flag just Graham's Custom Flag with the upgraded gun, or are there any other differences?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a rightie instead of a leftie. Otherwise, exact same thing.

I don't see how that's a function of the kit and its parts, though. Surely you can just have it hold the gun its other hand and attach the defence rod to its other arm? They're pretty symmetrical, aren't they? Or does the Custom Flag have an extra open-hand part on its right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

...You asked for what the difference was, and I told you.

As for the kit, you get more extra right hand parts than left but that's about it. You can swap the shields or which hand is holding the gun as you like.

EDIT: Unless you meant the HGs, in which case both of them just come with closed fists.

Yeah, I was talking in pure kit terms. I know the in-show differences, I was just wondering how they were represented by the actual Gunpla.

Basically, if I bought an OF to represent Graham's custom machine, would I be missing anything except the older gun?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 12, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The HG kit actually comes with both the upgraded and original guns. It's also very floppy if you don't position the limbs juuuust right, because it has no polycaps. The transformation gimmick's nice and simple though.

See, everyone says this, but I've now put two Enacts together and they're stiff as hell (FYI, I recommend Ali's machine - it's got less stickers and holds its weapon better than the Enact Test Type). I would assume that Flags, given their similar designs, would work pretty much the same way.

And the Custom comes with the upgraded gun as well? Sweet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yosuke posted:

Ali's custom one. I don't know if there's a real difference between loadouts of the model though (he has a normal Custom and of course the Agrissa compatible one).

Ali's Enact has a different head design, redesigned pelvic armour, that neat gun/sword with the slide-out bayonet, and a holster for its sonic blade. The Agrissa version is just a recolour. For the record, while you will have to repaint it, the Test Type has the standard non-officer head as well (two horns, not three), so you can build it as a regular mook as well as Patrick's souped-up version.

Got the Dynames in the mail today, and it doesn't have the pistols or beam sabers, meaning it's GN Sniper Rifle or nothing. Bah. On the other hand, it can do the eye thing. Not sure why you guys said it couldn't.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 13, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Basically every suit Woolf flies looks great, if we're talking AGE designs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Maybe the Zaku Amazing first? Your first kit won't be your best kit, so it might be good to get som practice in before the glory that is the Kampfer, the ZA shows up earlier in the show, and you mentioned that your kid likes Zakus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

That kit is a complete brick though. Presumably the kid actually wants to do stuff with it beyond "place it in one pose and never approach it again, lest it explode into a million bits".

Ah, fair enough. Wasn't familiar with the horror stories.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Do the HGs after 00 get better at providing appropriately-coloured blades for their beam weapons? Because the only kit I've got so far with a proper transparent beam sabre is the GN-X. You would have thought it would be pretty straightforward for the Exia, Dynames, and Arche, too. Fortunately, they have enough weapon options that I can just ignore that stuff, but it is mildly annoying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Yes, beam saber effect parts became standard after 00 S1.

After S2, you mean? Because the Arche doesn't have them on its beam feet, for one.

I must say, though, looking at GIS, I am impressed by how they resolved the modelling nightmare of the Garazzo's weapons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Box art for the star winning, you can its HG transformation in the back.

Is it just me, or does the HG form have the Zeong thing going on?

As in, no legs?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gearhead posted:

Blows things the gently caress up, basically.

FatGundam (Virtue -> Seravee -> Raphael), in all its incarnations, is basically the show's final word in 'Just how BIG a gun can you strap on a Gundam?' I'm not sure that anything Tieria ever hit with that thing was actually capable of surviving a hit from it, enemy tactics when engaging it were to try to keep it from deploying that horrifying thing.

Basically, the Virtue and its descendants were the 'siege Gundams', designed to obliterate enormous hard targets. In practice, they were kind of redundant because beam weapons were so powerful, and the Dynames series offered good enough firepower with far fewer drawbacks. Tieria got around this with the Seravee by giving it six arms and strapping guns and beam sabers on all of them, and then strapping on more guns because there was free space on his Gundam and gently caress that noise.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

To be fair, goon favourite Gundam X has a completely impractical massive gun too. Then the Double X happened and just said "gently caress IT STRAP ANOTHER ONE ON"

The X series were decently agile all-rounders that just happened to have giant fuckoff doomcannons in addition to the standard swords and rifles. The Virtue, meanwhile, had three options - 'stand still and fire my big, slow beam cannon', 'stand still and fire my slightly less big and slow beam cannons', and 'oh poo poo guess I need to disassemble my entire suit now'. I imagine a great deal of angry yelling at Celestial Being's engineers happened during the development of Tieria's replacement machine.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Virtue's design was sound because it was mostly up against conventional weaponry that couldn't do jack to its condensed GN-Particle field, and the Seravee addressed the issues it had with close combat pretty well. For those that haven't seen 00, the shoulder and knee cannons fold out into beam saber-wielding arms for a total of six along with the ones stored in the wrists of the actual arms. The kit, sadly, can't replicate this as it only has two "beam cannon hands" and those are for the Seraphim Gundam on its back (the shoulder cannons are its arms).

Oh yeah, the Seravee fixed just about everything, but it's hard to argue that it had a lot to fix. I mean, the Virtue got punked by Tierens and (repeatedly) by Patrick Colasour. That's just embarrassing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was thinking of getting a HG RX-78 and Zaku (or Gelgoog). What are the good, recent kits for those, if any?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On closer inspection, it looks like everything showed up in the 2007 HGUC line. That decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I really hope they ramp up on G-Reco kits soon, want a Hecate pretty bad.

There are very, very few G-Reco kits that I do not want.