Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So after I had to divert funds to fixing my car for DMV inspections I wasn't able to place a preorder for the RG Astraea type F like I planned, am I correct in assuming that I missed the boat hard on anything resembling reasonable pricing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Gentei Kits still has it up for pre-order, though I kind of wonder if that's a mistake.

I'm not sure how to interpret this price because it comes out as either 9 or 900 dollars depending on if the comma is a decimal.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

5800 yen is $51. EMS should be about $20, so that's $71 total.

OK that explains it, for some reason google interpreted it as chinese yuan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

so at what point does the Gold Frame stop technically being an Astray Gundam from all the replaced parts anyway

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Should have got the FA and just used the extra weapons as bonus equipment for your other models :eng101:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

As much as I enjoy ragging on Dickeye for his poor life decisions y'all are kinda getting overly indignant about the neo zeong, especially since like 9/10ths of you have photographically incriminated yourself as having made an equal or greater volume of financial fumbles in this hobby.

MJP posted:

What my wife doesn't know is that there's gotta be a way to rig the NZ up as a menorah. How do I run LEDs and rig up a 9-way switch?

Unfortunately it's about 3 arms short unless you want to parts order and get real crazy.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

You've never seen me paint.

It's actually p. easy doing a reverse wash on the Sleeves trim, you don't even need to paint within the lines. You just lay down some metallic, then some gloss, then black, then use a q tip dunked in alcohol to wipe the black paint off the raised detail.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

I just spent like a solid half hour, minimum, assembling MG Unicorn's waist. This kit is DOPE.

I hope you realize just how hosed the articulation, or rather the lack thereof, is in that kit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The reason you use a gloss coat is because unlike straight gloss paint its designed to harden as a protective layer, which protects your model from flaking and allows you to layer and do washes without risking all your work as readily.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

chumbler posted:

I have a hard time believing anything could beat Wing Zero's buster rifle for raw power, let alone on a gun that is hand-held and doesn't need to hook up to external power.

haha what

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

muike posted:

is my only choice for a 1/144 size crossbone vanguard waterslide emblem samueldecal

You could try printing your own if you dare.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Midjack posted:

There's no way they won't make every HG and MG variant we've seen so far again in PG.

I dunno man, they only made one Astray once they got the PG mold designed, they may actually not bother.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

There any trick to applying waterslides to a rounded surface like a zaku pauldron or is following standard waterslide procedure good enough?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Monaghan posted:

All right guys.

I want something big and dumb for Christmas. I haven't done a pg in about ten years. So far I've whittled it down to:

PG Strike (or Rouge, getting the pack either way)

PG MK II

PG GP-01

PG Unicorn

Give me your thoughts. Should I even risk getting the PG unicorn giving that the multitude of problems that could arise?

Of course the one time "buy a Neo Zeong" makes sense as purchasing advice happens while Dickeye is probated

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

So now that finals are mostly over and I actually have free time I started putting some kits together, starting with the Thunderbolt GM, which I snapped together tonight.

This is incidentally the first gunpla I've put together in over a year. Fresh impressions:

-I really like how the legs come together, really pleasantly solid.
-I hope you like muddy yellow stickers because this kit has them in spades.
-The shield arms are simultaneously more poseable than I expected and not nearly as poseable as they should be. Didn't this thing launch around the same time as a lot of the GBF booster packs? You had the molds for articulated arms right there, use them!
-The right arm's torso connection is a little floppy, but I may have trimmed the polycaps a little too much so it's probably on me.
-The looseness of the thruster pack, however, is entirely on bandai. That's getting glued after painting, no question.
-gently caress shaving nubs on dark plastic forever. Are the weapons molded out of a different kind of plastic? stress showed up a lot easier on them than on everything else in the kit, I eventually said gently caress it and decided to add them to the painting queue.
-My nexus 7's camera is dogshit, holy gently caress

After this I'm probably going to decalify it,panel line, put some metallic paint on the thruster bells, and topcoat the thing.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Well, to clarify, the chest vents, thrusters, crosses on the shields, and the collar are actual plastic parts. Everything else that's yellow is a sticker, and they're real fuckers too since they're all really narrow and fiddly and go over odd contours. You can only see about a third of them in that picture, not counting the 10-ish tiny ones that go on the legs, which is where I drew the loving line.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 13, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

God loving drat it one of the crossbone maoh's shoulder vulcans rocketed off into the ether :negative:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Winning looks like it has full-size Gungam limbs on it's back, possibly a torso. Transformation or combiner gimmick?

Money is on either winning becoming armor for the other suits(burning) or a SD<-->1/144 transformation gimmick. 1/144 looks more likely given the look of the armor but would probably make Fumina dangerously relevant in the eyes of sunrise.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Mecha-Shiva! Mecha-Shiva!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Holy gently caress I was checking ebay for prices on HG gadessas and garazzos for my ZOE kitbash and they're all in the $30+shipping and above range :psyduck:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

Forgot to post about it, but finished the Zaku a few weeks ago and it was amazing. What are some good kits of unusual suit designs, like the Guntank or something similar? Also is there an MG of the 8th MS team Ground type? The premade figure of that is the first Gundam I ever bought and having a better version would be neat.

There is a ground type MG, as well as an ez-8 and even a GM Head variant iirc. They're a bit on the old side but posters who have made them havent given any complaints.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Once the Aile Strike Gundam released was about when Master Grade kits began to consistently have internal frames rather than partial frames, if you want a good rule.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I thought The O's girth was less a deliberate misdirection and more just a result of combining shitloads of armor with the requisite thrust systems and fuel to make it go resulting in a huge-rear end MS. All those thrusters means its gotta have tanks all over the suit.

e. like I think it's one of the only suits in Zeta that can flat out no-sell Beam weapons purely on how thick the armor is rather than from beam coatings or I fields.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 21, 2015

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I wonder if it'll replicate the HG's insane hyperposeability.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Is anyone insane enough to buy this? Because drat.

I'd say "paging dickeye" but he's a huge baby about painting things so he wouldn't even touch this

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I think trans-am versions are what killed 00 kits numbers, really almost every suit has an exact double.

00 really drove the idea of recolor kits into the ground, almost every kit had a transam version, there were multiple custom scheme recolors for minor characters nobody gave a poo poo about, all the gundams had a "designer color" version and at least two of them had alternate greyscale "roll-out" recolors on top of that. Add all of the minor retool 00MSV releases that were coming out concurrently you had a total clusterfuck of 00 saturation.

And the worst part is that all the designs were dope as gently caress but bandai's minimal lack of return means that like 99% of them will never get a second run :negative:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

hey we might get lucky and the Hyaku Shiki will have all undergated armor.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Is it to avoid cannibalizing HG sales?

Well, that and they also probably want to make sure there's enough demand before spending all the time and resources on engineering an MG kit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Here's some sound advice I've seen for the RG Zeta: Pick wither MS or Waverider mode and leave it in that mode. I watched Robert184's video video on it and it looks like everything can go wrong at once (unless he's doing something wrong).

To this day I stand by my claim that the Zeta was Tomino's way of loving with the toy makers.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Someone for the love of god tell me that the swing-out pegs on RG weapons become easier to deal with after the aile strike, I've been trying for 20 minutes and can't get the thing to stay folded out long enough to slot into the palm

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Finished the build of the RG aile strike, I eventually gave up on the rifle peg after it flat out broke after trying to finagle it. I'll probably glue it back together later, but first I'm gonna decal and panel line.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

now I want to see someone use a Stormtrooper kit in the next Build Fighters series

Some sperg tries to play with the 1/72 X-Wing to prove that mecha is inferior to dogfight-style starfighters and immediately gets shot off the board by the MC for not approaching the game with a spirit of fun.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Why would flying spaceplanes not he fun?

Flying spaceplanes are cool, and good. Actively making GBS threads up mecha discussion about how mecha are "dumb and impractical" compared to fighters, as some people on the internet tend to do, is neither.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I have this image now of there being, like, a single motherfucker in southeast Asia who was lucky enough to get a ground-type that was actually built off of a finalized production chassis rather than just being a pile of mismatched spare parts, and constantly getting poo poo from the other pilots for it

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

If you want candy finishes to show up well on camera your best bet is to do what automotive photographers do and use polarizing filters to minimize reflective highlights while you light it. Also double check your white balance since your colors seem very slightly off.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

MJP posted:

This is me being stupid. Do I put the filter over the lens of my S5 camera or over the lights?

over the lens, you rotate the filter to block certain polarizations of light from reaching the sensing medium. Fair warning that polarizers and autofocus don't play all that well together so you'll probably want to manually focus/prefocus the shot.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I enjoy how each revision is bringing the barbatos closer and closer to being Literally A Mortar Headd

e: also that thing on its hip looks dangerously close to a beam rifle of some kind

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 22, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Maybe the shield arms will have real articulation this time!

Also I finished assembling a hg barbatos today and it's a dope kit

Shockingly good for the cost, although the eye sticker is a motherfucker and a half to get decent. If you're at all confident in your ability to paint I'd recommend painting the eyes instead because the sticker is not worth the effort. Since I'm snowed in today I'll probably mix up a red wash and an armor wash to do the details.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Do you have to layer black then silver then yellow tint or can I just spray gold over black primer?

You want to go gloss black - silver - gold, if you just go gold over black it'll come off as more of a tarnished brassy look than a gold one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I remember when the most reliable way to get cheap gunpla in the states was manually filling out an email order form from rainbowten. Amazon didn't have poo poo until like 2011 at the earliest.