Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I was considering outright replacing the forearms with the double jointed ones of the GM Sniper II because they're very similar, but on the other hand it's a GM. Spray and pray is the only way.

Sadly, the GM Sniper II doesn't have double jointed forearms. It's one of the few real complaints I have about the kit.

You'd need something else if you wanted to improve the elbows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Amazon's site is wrong about the second part being one package, wrong about half being from TJHO, or wrong about the other half not being from TJHO; it happens.

TSJO tend to ship pretty fast, but it's still going to take 3-6 weeks to get to you.

Not always. As far as I can tell they've somehow got a thing set up with amazon so that some of the kits they sell are on prime, with standard prime shipping speeds.

Don't know how it works, but it's pretty nice when it does.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

RGM-79D is the best GM design. :3:

Really wish we'd get an MG or RG, but it's never going to happen. :(

I've always had a soft spot for the RGM-79SP, but yeah. The 79D's pretty great.

Of course, it gets a little sadder if what I've read about it is true. Again, grain of salt, but apparently it wasn't originally meant to be a GM variant. It was meant to replace the GM, so any future one year war stuff would show it instead of the original design. Same with the other suits, like the Zaku and the Guncannon. Those were going to be THE designs for those suits going forward.

But Bandai backed away from that, and here we are.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

They're also releasing the Ares Graze through P-Bandai. Just the basic Graze in blue.

Which, you know, is much nicer than when a whole mold is P-Bandai exclusive.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like another Ace Graze variant and what looks like it might be another Gundam, judging by the head fins. What ever it is, its got one hell of a fat rear end.

The head on the new Graze looks like a commander variant of the Kai, for whatever that's worth. Guessing it's a Tekkadan mobile suit.

Kind of fits to have everything they get be made of the older suits they trashed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MJP posted:

I just started watching Turn A Gundam.

Why do we not have even an HG WaDom :-(

As much as I love Turn A's designs, I'm not sure that a foot tall grunt mech will sell that well.

The WaDom is kind of loving huge.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedd posted:

It's a Victory gundam, Details and quite a few parts from the dash pack make me think MG.

The base for scale inclines me to agree with you.

Thing looks about the size of a large high grade. Much too big for the HG Victory.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

Also doesn't help that a lot of people represent the Greek letter "nu" as a lowercase "v".

And then you add in the Turn A Gundam, and it's just a mess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I secretly wish they made kits that big.

Well, if you all you wanted was a big loving mobile suit...

I mean, it's a foot shorter, sure, but it's still pretty huge.

There's also mega scale models, which "only" weigh in somewhere around 15 inches, but they're big enough to dwarf a perfect grade. Plus, all the kits I've mentioned cost less than a PS4. Don't get me wrong, it's an absurd, irresponsible way to spend money, but it's a large entertainment item level of expense, not a games workshop or, well, 1/35 EX-S level where you have to live in the shipping container for the kit after.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

They made a maega size Gundam AGE2.

they really thought people wer gonna like that show

Yeah, it's a really weird bit, the whole thing.

If I remember right, Level 5 went to Bandai saying "Hey, we make games. We had an idea for a Gundam game. Does that sound good?" and Bandai said "Game? Screw that! You just made our next TV show!"

Huge push. Multiple master grades in development, ton of new and revived sublines, ranging from mega scale models to a new beginner level of kit, arcade booths across Japan designed to interact with the toys, 49 episode anime. Just all in, committed from the word go.

And it flopped on pretty much every level.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Electric Lady posted:

My Schwalbe Graze just came in the mail today, and I'm waiting on a Graze Kai!

The price of the stock Graze went way down on Amazon within the past week, so that one might be worth picking up too.

It's definitely worth it. The base Graze has nice colors and more thruster options than the other two kits.

But with the Graze, so far there's no wrong option.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DigitalRaven posted:

How's the Jegan measure up, kit-wise? It's got a decent number, but I can never figure out how many exclusives it's had.

P-Bandai kits are kind hard to keep track of.

Let's see...

Jegan
Stark Jegan
ECOAS Jegan
Jegan D type
Jegan A type
Jegan B type
Jegan A2 General Revil colors
RGM-89S Stark Jegan

So, that's eight by my count. Graze is still behind at five released, but it's going to catch up pretty soon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Revitalized posted:

Have there been any relatively recent releases of anything from 08th MS Team?

There was a pretty good HG EZ-8 in '13, which had a Build Fighter version (EZ-SR) a year later.

Nothing more recent that I know of, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Put a GM head on it and call it a day.

Every gundam is better with GM head. It is known.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Exactly. Grunt suit supremacy.

You know what won the one year war? That's right.

The RB-79. It was cheap, easily mass produced, and could trade lives with the Zaku II at a net profit for the Federation, slowly bleeding Zeon dry.

But the GM was good too.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The HGUC GM isn't a bad kit, just don't expect modern articulation.

Ehhh...

I mean, I started with older kits, and it's not like the thing's a lot of extra work, but the HGUC GM is kinda crappy. Only two sprues, crappy articulation even compared to other kits from the same time period, beam toothpick...

The thing could really use a revive.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

zelah posted:

Is the RGM-79 Powered GM a better option? I was looking for something era-appropriate to pair with a Zaku 2 that's also older it looks like.

E: I've got some IBO kits in the mail. I should probably work in those first. I'll do more dalong research and keep an eye out for revives for now. Thanks!

Powered GM and GM type C are much better, yes. Personally, I'm fond of the GM Striker from that era. Nice kit, good articulation, comes with plenty of gear. It's a bit sticker heavy, though.

Closest match to the base GM is probably the Thunderbolt version. Different colors, and it has that backpack, but it's a pretty nice modern kit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

They never have. HG kits don't even have cockpits for a pilot to sit in anyways.

Out of curiosity, what kit?

Well, a few have cockpits. And a few have little figures, even if they don't go in the pilot seat.

For example the Turn A has a pilot in the cockpit, but Loran doesn't come as a separate piece. He's just molded in there.

But yeah. HGs don't tend to have cockpits or pilot figures.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd be definitely much less hard on the Graze if it wasn't a Gundam series, but it's just kinda stuck with the fact that it's a merch-driven show and half-a-dozen variants of the same design doesn't really fly well when it makes up half the line. The other problem is there's no variety to their design intent, they're all slightly-different equipment loadouts to do the same generic job. Stick some missile pods on a few or something, instead of boiling it down to "here's your rifle, here's your sword and/or axe, here's maneuvering equipment on the shoulders to do the same basic job for the local environment (air/ground/space)."

The thing is, they have those loadouts, but they're all in the accessory packs, so it doesn't make the actual Graze kits feel different. Kind of a bummer, especially with the weapon kits all being one color only.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lanz posted:

[looks at HGUC pale rider prices on amazon]

so uh was that a P-Bandai Exclusive? Cause somehow that thing goes from 48 bucks to over a hundred

Well, that and a pack-in for a special edition videogame. (The game sucked.)

It's an original mold that never reached full mass production. Kind of a pain to get.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

A friend of mine got it, it's mostly an edit of the HGUC GM Sniper II.

Really? Interesting. What I heard was that it was visually similar to the Sniper II, but with completely different parts.

Sounds like I heard wrong, then.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

There's an ova about a group of feddie grunts on foot attempting to ambush 2 Zakus on earth, it's part of the Igloo series but I don't recall which part. Gundam 08th MS Team also has an episode where a mob of angry people come too close to a felled Zaku, only to fall victim to it's anti-personnel mine.

It's the first episode of Igloo 2: The Gravity Front. It has a shinigami for some reason.

The ending is there were three Zakus.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Or a delicious fried shrimp. :v:

Some kind of... pistol shrimp.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xenothral posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and ordered that second one you linked, so that'll be awesome to put together when it gets here!

Oh dang yeah this has gotten way more nuts than it was when I got mine. The amount of extras that thing has is crazy, and those LEDs are really cool!

Yeah, the PG Unicorn is crazy. But even the smaller stuff has really advanced. The current main line, Iron Blooded Orphans, has nearly complete inner frames for most of the kits, for example. And the RGs are more detailed than a lot of Master Grades, despite being pocket sized.

They're really cool, but they might drive you insane with all the small parts. Especially the transforming ones.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

Not to rain on your parade, but not really. most models don't have the same inner frame as any other model.

That said, most modern kits use the same basic polycap setup. So, if you want to, say, give a Montero the legs, arms, and backpack of a Hi-Mock to make something a little bulkier with double jointed elbows?

Easy as playing with Legos.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Geeze. I could just get a Jesta Cannon cheaper than a Jesta and the conversion kit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm very mad that the Geara Doga is P-Bandai. :(

That Geara Doga, or the Geara Doga in general?

Because in the second case, I have good news.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 15, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

The legs are so long and slim on that thing that my gut's going with the insane:

That's absolutely batshit insane. And a surprisingly good match for the silhouette.

I'm down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Looks like that's what they're going after, yeah.

And LEDs look cool, but are 110% not worth the effort of taking it half apart to turn it on for a few minutes. Things like the PGs, where the switch is on the outside, are a lot better about it than the little discs.

The Jesta, at least, lets you get at the switch petty easy. 30 seconds of work, give or take.

Better if the switch was outside, but not too bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

I would love to see a NONP-BANDAI mg GM cardigan. I mean we're already there.

Wouldn't entirely be a surprise, given the P-Bandai Powered GM. That thing has way too many new pieces to just be a one-off exclusive, unless I miss my guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bimmi posted:

The Man Rodi and Gundam Gusion frogbots from IBO are cheap and good.

I'd be a little leery of getting the HG Graze for a beginner, them parts is tiny.

As much as I love the sniper, I'd say it's a bit worse on that count. Most of it's good, but the visor optic is a nightmare. Fiddlier than the smart parts on most RGs.

I'm voting for the Revive Guncannon. Not too many small parts, great articulation, looks nice out of the box.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

You want Kotobukiya's Mechanical Chain Bases. All the ones you see in dioramas are assembled out of those.

Warning: They're really pricey for what you get.

Wave's Hangar bases doesn't have the detail, but it's also pretty nice, especially if you get the arm sets.

Only like 20 bucks on HLJ, and one set is about enough for a whole hangar for a HGUC.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Gundam X says hi.

As far as I can tell, the Gundam X was a regular release. Did I miss something?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

We got a MG X but never got MG X Maoh.

Right, but the MG X was a regular release.

What I was saying about the Powered GM wasn't that Bandai never releases a kit without a remold. It's just doing a metric fuckton of remolding for a single P-Bandai release without as much as a game special edition for a regular release...

It would be very odd.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xenothral posted:

So I still haven't gotten around to getting a pen or anything to do the lines on this Wing Zero I got, but here's a bad picture anyway, with a guest appearance from my yet-unpainted and very out of focus Uziel.

It was a lot of fun to put together though, and now I want to build an Exia, but don't know which one to build.

Also from the Armored Core kits I've looked around at briefly on Amazon, I really want to build a lot of those as well. Are they ever less than $50 or is that pretty much the standard for them?

1) Real grade.

2) Pretty much standard. Bandai's kits tend to be both cheaper and better than the nearest competition.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Huh, neat!

I mean, I'd prefer a grunt suit, but since that was never going to happen, a villain suit in Real Grade is almost as good a change of pace.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

The new Hyaku Shiki is indeed HG # 200 according to Bandai...which is kinda underwhelming if you ask me.

It looks good, and just as a 200 I'd be fine with it, but it is kind of a disappointment. After that kind of buildup, I was kind of expecting something crazier.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 12, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The reveal is; it's plated in real gold! :homebrew: :v:

Also why is no-one mentioning that crimson IBO Gundam covered in multiple giant switchblades? I need that thing :shepspends:.

Apparently, it's a Build Fighters kit?

Looks neat either way.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

god drat i loving love jegans.

I'm a fan of pretty much every Feddie grunt suit, but the Jegans are pretty nice. 3 decades of active combat duty, too. Feddies knew they had a winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm looking at the MS-06F Zaku II Real Grade, because if I'm gonna get a Zaku, I might as well get a good one. I'd considered getting the Char custom Zaku RG, but I saw the HG Origin Zaku for Char and it looks awesome.

The RG Zaku's also pretty early, and the cabling tends to... explode. It can be handled by glue, but it's a bit of a pain. Char's Origin Zaku is a better bet.

Still, that one's not in green yet, so if you want a grunt version, probably the best choice. For RGs in general, though, I recommend the Gundam MK II. Really solid kit, nice frame, cool moving armor.