Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there a good database for all the awesome NGs? Dalong is lacking, and a lot of the cooler looking odd suits and MSV apparently never got a HG release. Where's my HGCC Kapool, Bandai. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

You two joke, but I've already gotten both 1/100 DXs as well as two extra HGAW GX's with accompanying resin G-Bit conversions.

I've gotta ask, why the fascination with the Gundam X?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I have a "New Material Model Turn A Gundam"
I have no idea what it is. It was $20 bucks, though.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 8, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

MJP posted:

Re: nub removal, I posted in the last thread about Gundam Planet's video mentioning curved blades.

I can now state from my personal experience that curved blades are AMAZING for nub removal and everyone should give it a try. I've been doing nothing but curved blades on Metal Gear Rex, which is now complete.

Cut the part from the sprue close to the tree, then cut down the nub to around 2mm remaining. Err on the side of any stress from the cut being far away from the part.

Use the curved blade with just a slight slicing motion to push through with just enough pressure. You're making the first few slices AWAY from the surface of the part just to be sure. e.g. the Major Nelson step 5 method:

One or two to remove the remaining bulk on each side of the nub.

Then repeat on the other side of the nub.

Cut flush with the surface. There's gonna be a slight bit of nub but zero - ZERO - white stress marks if you do it right. The rest is just careful shaving with the curve of the blade or sanding to completely flush.

It's a different paradigm than the standard #11 or other angled blades - with those you're pushing through the nub. Once you get just the right amount of pressure, it's perfect.

I hate to use a sports analogy but think of it like swinging a golf club or baseball bat - you're aiming to get the right motion to connect and have the right follow-through. If you push too hard or slice too hard with a curved blade, you get the stress mark.

I'll see if I can put together a video on this, seeing as the only one I can think of that teaches the curved blade is the Gundam Planet one, and that doesn't really get granular into how to do it.

It does take some getting used to - my earlier Rex post has some meh nubs galore that have since been cleaned up a little: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post437175085

You mentioned earlier that you were using an x-acto blade for this, right? Do you happen to know the number of the blade? And does this method work for pulling the blade instead of pushing. I've never actually gotten down cutting away from myself, instead of towards me. :downs:

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

How many fingers do you have left, out of interest?

I've only ever caused a bit of damage to my thumb, and nothing ever significant enough to even draw blood.
The worst thing in any handwork was working with wire with sharply pointed ends, with lackluster tools. My hands went numb from pain and I basically had to soak them in hydrogen peroxide to keep the infection at bay.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

That sounds like a bad way to shop as opposed to "This place has thing, the price difference, if any, is negligible (for whatever your definition of that word is), now I own it."

Nah, it's the same as checking craiglist or whatever for a good deal, except it's all in one spot and easy to deal with.
Seriously, mandarake is fantastic for getting cheap exclusives. especially if you don't care about whether your box is mint.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The correct Christmas tree is the Neo Zeong with Fuunsaiki as a star.

I told my roommate about using the NZ as our tree and she hit me so I think that idea is out.

That's the only reasonable use for that drat thing...

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I keep saying, it looks super dope menacing my other 1/144 kits and it provides a nice easy focus for posing: Everything is teaming up to fight it (except AGE-1 Titus and Build Burning, they're slugging it out at his feet, and Z'gok's running in terror). It ends up looking pretty rad.

I mean if I had the money, the space, and didn't have a fuckton of HGs and NGs I want, I'd probably get one too, but it's still the most impractical model I've ever seen.
Except for potentially the dendrobium.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

But, like, a lot a lot of money. Because there's no way I'd be buying an HG-level kit for that much unless I have so much money I don't know what to do with it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

It's actually p. easy doing a reverse wash on the Sleeves trim, you don't even need to paint within the lines. You just lay down some metallic, then some gloss, then black, then use a q tip dunked in alcohol to wipe the black paint off the raised detail.

http://majorwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/04/gundam-building-101-reverse-wash-and.html

While I can't attest to the accuracy of this tutorial, it seems well-written and the dude generally seems to know what he's doing.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

madpanda posted:

lol for real, we are all buying plastic action figures, dont be making GBS threads on dickeye cause he bought one of the biggest toys and u mad jelly. jnust poo poo on him when he keeps telling newppl to buy it.

It's more that he recommends it constantly, to the point where he almost seems like a spambot.
I don't think BlitzBlast even talks about the Gundam X as much as he does the Neo Zeong.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm actually gonna back BlitzBlast up here by saying that the MG Gundam X is baller as gently caress because the satellite cannon is loving sweet. And I've only seen like 10 episodes of Gundam X, too.

For every Gundam X comment I think BlitzBlast has another Gundam X kit added to their backlog.
And yeah, it's pretty cool for a primary protagonist suit.

Speaking of, is there a decent version of the V2 out? That thing looks utterly ridiculous and I kinda want one.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 18, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

As far as I know there are just a bunch of guys who are dedicated to trying to find every household solution there is. I mean hell, people use lighter fluid in this hobby.

Also forget Friday, my final Gundam X delivery came in today.

Since I have zero interest in getting Airmaster or Leopard unless I miraculously find them cheaper than I paid for their upgrades, and since there isn't a 1/100 Ashtaron (and the resin one is long out of print) to go with the Virsago, for all intents and purposes my collection is complete! :toot:

You know, unless Bandai announces a new HGAW or MG but DETAILS.

Oh my god.
How many of them have you gotten around to building?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

When's that big expo where they announce all the new kits?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Speaking of favorite robots, does anybody know how the 1/144 Hildofr is? That tank alone pretty much made MS IGLOO worth it, and I was wondering if it was worth the price.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

Hildofr came out under the EX line, which were more like traditional model kits in that they required cement in their construction and a ton of paint to look accurate. Unless you're prepared to go full gung-ho model kit building on it and not just snapping it together over a weekend, by all means go for it. Otherwise, pass.

I'll wait until I start painting my kits then. Thank you very much!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The Jormungand had a decent amount of firepower for a beam weapon, I think. Obsolete before it was even tested, but it packed quite a punch.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

muike posted:

oh cool i got my new model kit in

:aaa:
I didn't even know it came with that.
Excited to build it once we move into a larger place.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

MJP posted:

Gird your loins and guard your wallets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SNWs94vGf0

Oh god that's cool.
If I got it it'd never ever leave Unicorn mode, though.
So, uh, how's the HGUC Unicorn Mode?

I missed something, what the hell is the third form because all I saw was Unicorn and Destroy.

Destroy Unchained.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ignimbrite posted:

Hey Blitzblast
http://www.taghobby.com/9-0/9-1/%E4...-gundam-series/

Also some P bandai Zetas, RG 00 Raiser, MG Dark Matter Exia, HG Guntank, Zaku II, Hi-Nu Brave, Wing Gundam Zero, Gundam Amazing Red Warrior, RE Dijeh and Gerbera, and some pics of PG Unicorn. Also a full armour pack for PG Unicorn.

:getin::unsmigghh:

Oh god the HG V2AB and the VDash and that Guntank. That glorious Guntank.
e: I'm so confused by the Red Warrior but I want one.

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 20, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Ka0 posted:

I didn't like the Papilion, I'd much rather build miss Sazabi, it looks more poseable.

It's a fun build. I still need to finish mine.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Looks like a custom build of the Z'Gok E kit.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Bimmi posted:

Watching him struggle fruitlessly with that knee lock is borderline painful.

He figured it out eventually. Did it in one try on the other knee.
Honestly it seemed pretty easy to transform.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Monaghan posted:

All right guys.

I want something big and dumb for Christmas. I haven't done a pg in about ten years. So far I've whittled it down to:

PG Strike (or Rouge, getting the pack either way)

PG MK II

PG GP-01

PG Unicorn

Give me your thoughts. Should I even risk getting the PG unicorn giving that the multitude of problems that could arise?

Get the Unicorn and warn the rest of us.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kibner posted:

Yup. My favorites so far are Acguy, Juaggu, Hygogg, and Z'Gok. The Gogg, Zock, and Zogok are ok. Any other Zeon suits I left out of that list?

The Kapool! The best mobile suit ever designed!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

So I know he probably gets this stuff for free,

but I don't think you needed three Neo Zeongs YellowSubmarine.

God that PG Unicorn is huge.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Before I go down this rabbit hole, does anybody know what are good resources for finding resin conversions? I'm looking for Gundam Artemie kits, but it seems they've been out of production for a couple of years.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Warmachine posted:

You and Sharkopath are going to be best friends.

I want to be their friend too.
And am also wondering why they didn't get a NG Kapool yet.

Sharkopath posted:

The second they announce an mg hygogg or capule is the second I get an airbrush and compressor and nobody sees me ever again.

Hell, just give me a proper HG Kapool and I'll buy at least a half dozen.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

I would buy the hell out of a FLAT. :colbert:

I have heard nothing but good things about the NG FLAT.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Come on HG Kapool. A properly articulated kit, that has its various torso bits poseable without the poly cap falling off inside the torso every time you do so.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Is it wrong I want there to be an HGUC Capule just for schadenfreude?

Would people actually care much about the difference? Its a matter of a coat of paint.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

How did the guy with one arm even make that mobile armor anyway? I mean he had one freaking arm.

One armed dudes making crazy machinery has long been a thing, especially in terms of prosthetic. Honestly with enough clamps I doubt that there's really much you wouldn't be able to do.
Also he really just did repairs and customized its controls to work for a one-armed dude. That was probably one of the least stupid parts of that show. Besides the Feddy helping him repair it, but, you know.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I feel I may be falling to the curse of this thread.

Finished my Hygogg and want more amphibious Zeon suits, and also considering Gundam X.

Get a Kapool. Hell, get five.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

But Kapool doesn't have a HG :negative:

Its 1/144, and well detailed and proportioned. Just a bit...fiddly, and not well articulated. Dirt cheap though.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Is there a dalong-esque site with all the SD Musha gundams and such?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

there was a real good goon post about airbrushes somewhere but I can't find it anywhere
it had prices and recommendations and everything
does anybody happen to have a link to it?

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 11, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Speaking of GBF, in episode 7 of the original series, the one with the land sharks, Mao has a little leather case with spots for all his tools. Do they make anything like that?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kibner posted:

There are a few other sites that you may want to check out for price matching purposes. The OP has some links at the end. If you and your son want to just see what models are out there, check out http://dalong.net. Click the 'HG' link in the toolbar at the top and then 'English Catalog' on the side. He does a thorough review of nearly every model, so it is a good way to find the names of suits that your kid likes.

The only tool you really need to get him started is a pair of nippers. Tamiya is a reliable brand to buy tools from.

An optional thing is to also pick up a Gundam Fine Line pen. It is used to highlight panel lines and makes the model look better. They come in three colors (that I know of): grey, black, and brown. Grey is the most commonly used.

Or just use a mechanical pencil!
But yeah get a good pair of nippers, and that's honestly probably all he needs. Two cuts, one far away, one closer. If he wants to get more into it there's a whole lot of routes he can go, from painting to carefully working it down with sandpaper and all sorts of stuff, but if he's just starting that's probably a good way to do it.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So is this P-Bandai HGUC 1/144 RX-80PR Pale Rider [Heavy Equipment Ver] going to likely be the only other release of the pale rider besides the one that shipped with that Limited Edition version of that game? It's a really awesome suit but I'd rather not buy it now if there's any chance of a standard release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Shaldoll Rogue from AGE has an arm cannon. It's what I'm planning on using it for my inevitable Shaldoll Aran vs. Ridleyzine project.

Quote for save