Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
I guess since new thread, I'll post completed robots instead of backlog.

First painted kit that I finished a while ago. Probably my favorite.

Then

and recently (that I can't finish now because university sucks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

madpanda posted:

For those that have used SAL for shipping about how long does it take and have you ever had shipments damaged/ not show up?

Coming from the retro games thread it was pretty much EMS or bust but we were getting old electronics sent.

I'm in Canada, packages usually take 2-3 weeks to get here for me, and I live on the east coast. The only damaged box I had was one from HLJ where a side was crushed. My poor MG Strike Rouge RM. box was hurt, but the sprues were fine. It really depends on how your country likes to treat its parcels.

On another note, is it usual for HLJ to not protect the contents of the box with stuff like paper? Because my Rouge just had its box and nothing else.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
Since everyone was talking about MG's for a bit, I'll show what I've been working on.

After building so many HG's, I forgot how sturdy MG's are. And a MG Qan[t] is on the way, that's gonna be fun.
Getting the Rouge's cockpit to open is rear end, though.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
RG 00 Raiser
Holy mother of god, thank you bandai.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

John Carstairs posted:

Yeah, I've got this Tamiya file set, and I pretty much only break them out if I want a big chunk of something completely gone.

I use the flat rectangular one regularly, just really lightly then buff out the scratches with 600+ grit. Though I bounce between knife/file work depending on where the nubs are on the piece.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's mostly the boxes I'm having an issue storing, actually. I was thinking that, if I get some large ziplocs, I could keep the models I'm not displaying and their accessories in those, and get rid of the boxes.

But the boxes look so good :(

Cut out the art and trash the rest?

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
RX-78 OYW Ver. is also super solid.
Too bad the colours for both versions are eh, gonna have to paint it.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

TARDISman posted:

That was me. Maybe it was just my kit, but the whole core fighter-top-bottom thing just doesn't hold together that well. It's in the "Build it, pose it, leave it the hell alone" category.

I found the GP01 to be fine, if one of the most stable kits. Once you get the core fighter in the right pegs, for me it seemed to stay. Only problem is that it likes to lean if too much weight is on one side.

I think most RG's should be build and pose and leave alone, since they sometimes have the most finicky parts that just like to break.

^^^mk ii is probably the most stable rg, and comes with tons of stuff, get it

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
If you're going to handbrush, get model color, not model air. Model is a bit too runny, model color just needs a bit of water and it's good to go.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Everything I hear about RG make them sound awful.

It's what you get when you cram mg/pg level gimmicks and an internal frame into a 1/144 scale. They're nice to have, but not nice to pose and constantly fiddle with. Make them as good as you ever will, pose them then leave them alone and never touch it.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
I have the HGUC Nu and it's honestly such a cool kit. Needs some stickers or paint but drat it's huge.

It has the right feel for the nu, too bad it's lacking a bit in the hip articulation and has single jointed elbows

Speaking of huge, I'm building the HGUC Sazabi and it's just

massive

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

How is the HGUC Sazabi anyway? I love the design, but I've heard nothing but horror stories about the HG, and it's limbs falling off.

I don't know about the legs yet since I haven't built them, but the arms feel solid. I think it was the legs that were the problem, but I'll find out soon enough.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
How good is the acrylic tamiya gold leaf for creating a good gold finish?
I got a HG Phenex and I want to airbrush that ugly vomit gold over.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks for the tips, Gaia may take ages to get here, alclad seems to be more obtainable, may try that out.
Though I wonder how gold leaf+clear yellow would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

MJP posted:

Alclad Pale Gold is quite nice. It looks like actual gold metal, less like GOLD SHINY BLING. It's not Hyaku Shiki gold, it's Rolex gold. I used it extensively to turn the spotty yellow of my R-Gyagya into something hugely loving awesome: http://imgur.com/a/ijQ4x

You don't even need to do gloss black under it, just prime.

Well it looks like I know what I'm buying the next time I go to a hobby store, that gold looks amazing.