Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I've decided to give this a shot. I've watched Mobile Suit Gundam and maybe War in the Pocket/MS 08th team a few years ago, so I don't have a wide knowledge of the franchise as a whole. I know the RX-78-2 and Char's Zaku though, so I ordered HG versions of those and a basic tool kit.

Have I made a terrible mistake? I read through the first page and I don't know if I have the closet/shelf space needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10324628 because Amazon reviews said this version was better than the older one

and

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10310668 because it also seemed to be the most recent plus came with the bazooka instead of just the machine gun.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

My tool kit doesn't come until tomorrow but I've already bought 3 HG kits and am considering a day trip up to Seattle.

Is buying online from Japan the best way to go about it usually? The Barnes & Noble has a very limited selection (6 different models?) but the markup there doesn't seem extreme, $10-13 for HG. I'm worried in-store markups elsewhere will be too high to justify not just waiting a few weeks for Japan shipping.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Y'all, I built it

I read that 0.5 mechanical pencils work just as well as Gundam markers for panel lining, so I'll give that a shot soon.

I also have Char's Zaku and a Barbatos waiting to be built. Plus a few IBO sets in the mail. Gonna check out some local shops tomorrow to see what they got. This is how it starts, huh?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Good thing they've made so many Graze's then.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

How much of a pain are older kits? I'm looking at http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10015713 and wondering if there's anything I should know before getting a 15 year old kit.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Is the RGM-79 Powered GM a better option? I was looking for something era-appropriate to pair with a Zaku 2 that's also older it looks like.

E: I've got some IBO kits in the mail. I should probably work in those first. I'll do more dalong research and keep an eye out for revives for now. Thanks!

zelah fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 10, 2016

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Coworker got me a MG Astray Red Frame and I am intimidated. I've only built two HGs up to this point. Should I knock out a few more HGs before tackling this or jump straight in?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Just took an hour trip into the suburbs. Turns out Hobbytown has so much gundams. Action bases too, have a few coming on a slow boat though so I didn't get any. Picked up the 1/100 Graze and Barbatos plus the real sick Origin Zaku II with huge axe and swoosh effect.

They're doing their first "Gundam day" next week but I'm not ready to make that kind of trip again.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

That's some Star Wars expanded universe knee sabers going on...I love it

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Aren't RE 100 kits comparatively limited in poseability/articulation though?

I was put off of purchasing the RE 100 Graze Kai when I learned that the yellow rounded core part is a big sticker. That's not a problem of you paint kits but I'm a dirty snapbuilder and that won't fly for me.

MG is the sweet spot for me, don't kill MG Bandai.

I'm not trying to be shady, but what would be wrong with it being a sticker?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

That's one of those questions where the disclaimer just raises greater concerns. Like 'I'm not trying to be a pervert, but why don't you like apple juice?'

Seriously, why would it be shady to ask why someone doesn't like stickers?

I'm sorry. I meant shady as in throwing shade. I didn't want "what's wrong with stickers" to come off as anything but a genuine question. I'm still real new to this hobby so maybe there's something about sticker aversion that I'm not aware of.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Got it. I just finished the 1/144 graze and was bummed by how the eye sticker looks. Working on an Astray gold frame HG a coworker gave me and the stickers for that seem much more suited for curved surfaces.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Amida's Hyakuren is my favorite design from IBO so far.

I've noticed the IBO kits have been much cheaper locally than other HGs, 10-13 bucks vs 16-20 for everything else. There doesn't seem to be as big of a discrepancy from Japan online. Think it's a distributor thing trying to push the new stuff?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

My 5th kit is killing me. Possibly literally. First 4 kits and no incidents, and now I keep cutting myself on this Gold Frame Astray.

I need a thimble.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Yes

E: I've been trying to be better about nub marks so I've been cutting farther away from the piece then shaving the rest with a the hobby knife. Probably just need to be better with replacing blades more often so there's less effort and less chance to slip.

zelah fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 25, 2016

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I might end up with both 1/100 Barbatos's. I bought the regular one right before I find out about the new version. Would really like to have that mace...

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Droyer posted:

I'm planning on getting both. I think they're different enough that i want both of them on their own merits, not just to complete the accessories.

I'm a sucker for large/small matching, so if the 1/144 and 1/100 6th form are basically the same I guess I'll end up with 4.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Finished my first kit, Char's Zaku Origin version. It was really enjoyable and looks cool as hell. I'm definitely going to continue the hobby, but I'm not sure what kit I'll do next. I want to someday do a MG Sinanju, but I want some more practice first.

The new Gundam RX-78-2 HG would be a good second kit to go with your Char. Those were my first kits and now I can't stop!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Any of y'all built the Double X MG? I haven't seen the show its from but it looks cool and my coworker has some Barnes & Noble coupon/discount situation that would bring it from $50 to $35.

It expires later this month so there's no rush.

The only two MGs I'm in the market for are the RX-78 The Origin and the 2.0 Char Zaku, so maybe I could wait a week or two to see if they get that in RX-78? I'm not sure what their ordering schedule looks like though.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Local comic shop is double dipping on distributors so now they have a corner wall covered in kits. New IBO stuff is cheaper than Amazon, RGs a little more, but a few kits like the Strike Rogue +Ootori that aren't on Amazon at all for ~45. Basketball's ending soon and I'm gonna have a lot more free time...

zelah fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 12, 2016

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Whoops, I looked up the + Ootori part but forgot to check the order of the first part.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I really want that 7 Eleven gundam...

I took my first step in panel lining, and took a black Sakura pigma micron to my HG Revive RX-78-2.

Internet is telling me to use gray though. Sakura doesn't make a gray. Those who use markers, what kind are you using? There's a 3 pack of gundam branded pens on Amazon (black, gray, and brown) for $9.55.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Bimmi posted:

I use this for (most of) my panel lines. YMMV.

edit: I really wish Sakura would make a Micron grey, I would totally use it. Stopped using the black one a good 20 years ago.

Do you use the black gundam market for non-white parts? Or gray for everything?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Azubah posted:

Who was looking for the 7-11 Gundam? I saw one for about $24. If you don't mind waiting until I return to the states, I'll pick it up next time I hit the town.
It was me and I appreciate the offer! I found it on Amazon (with Prime and everything) for 32 so I just ordered it today. Thank you though!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

How do y'all feel about the Nu Gundam ver Ka? It's down to 67 on Amazon but reviews online seem mixed. Half seem to say it's amazing and the other half say it falls apart or breaks super easily.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Ordered. The weak wrist when holding the rifle is a bummer. What can you do to strengthen that or the knee joints?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I'm reading up on water slide decals since I ordered that Nu Gundam and keep seeing conflicted information on what to use. Most seem to recommend Mr Mark Softer to be put under and/or over the decal, some say Mr Mark Setter under the decal, others say just water under the decal?

I don't plan on painting, so do I need anything under the decals?

Am I loving up by not top coating anything? I don't really have the space or ventilation to do that easily.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Thank you!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Did you add shipping? $12 for me vs free from Amazon. Only a couple bucks difference but I guess that $12 shipping makes it show up faster than Amazon where it's coming from Asia it looks like.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Good news is there's like 5 other Grazes to buy, and they all look cool!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

So there will be 3 1/100 of the same Barbatos? Original, HD, and now MG? If I'd have known I wouldn't have gotten the original. Oh well.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I started using Gundam Markers recently and really like how they look. Here's most of a HG RX-78 NT1 I'm working on

I'm using grey or black on the white pieces, black on the blue pieces, and brown on the yellow.

Just trace a panel like or fill in a space, then dab or rub a little with a qtip or tissue to soften/even the detail and remove any excess ink that isn't where you want it. If you hate what you've got, use a little rubbing alcohol and the ink comes right off and you can try again.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I've been using a NT Cutter knife. Feel safer with it being retractable and I can push it out further if the nub isn't at the edge of a piece.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

I'm eyeing the RX-78-2 PG. There's no indication that they're gonna do a 2.0 or anything are they? I'm sure the more recent PGs have a lot more quality of life or engineering improvements, so if they're going to update it I'll wait for that, but otherwise it looks great. Am I making a Terrible Mistake?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Ok. Ill just keep it in my Amazon wish list in case the price drops a bunch.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

How much of a gimmick is the LED gimmick? I'm working on the MG Gundam The Origin and it's the first time I've had the option. Is it worth the 8 or 9 bucks to have it maybe look cool when I switch it on or should I stick to the sticker eyes?

Also, can anyone help me figure out what's going on here?

A26 is a clear piece. Are they saying that I can put the sticker on the "inside" instead of up front if I want the LED to shine through?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

What's the best/most recent version of the Alex? Always really liked that design.

I just built the HG from 2004. That might be the most recent. The MG is from 1999.

My only complaint is the shield connection is wonky.

Here it is with Bernie

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Had to super glue my first piece tonight. Part of the upper arm on the MG Gundam The Origin (rx78). Also the index and middle fingers popped off one of the hands and the index finger keeps wanting to fall out if I'm not extra careful. It's the shield hand though so that might end up superglued too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

MG Red Frame Astray kind of did. 1/144 scale stand for the huge sword that you could use for the actual model in one specific configuration. Seems like most others don't though.