Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Week or two ago had a wario64 popup on twitter that showed a Mecha-Godzilla but done in the colors of EVA-01.

After putting the order in, I figured I should practice with something a little simpler. So I ordered two off Amazon

Then I went to Target

And then I blinked. And this happened

Godzilla hasn't even arrived yet.

boz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Azubah posted:

I've been slowing building this during my group build sessions and it's really cool. Most of the color separations are injected into the molding itself, no color correcting stickers.

Nice! Where would you rate the difficulty on that?

grassy gnoll posted:

One of us, one of us.

I would recommend against buying model kits of any stripe on Amazon, not just for gently caress-Bezos reasons, but because the scalping tends to be outrageous. There's a ton of specialty retailers who can get you product faster for cheaper, depending on where you are in the world.

I appreciate this. Definitely noticed some higher prices, and then I read earlier in the thread the whole Epyon (I think) debacle with the fake kit.

boz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 5, 2022

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

I just got the RG Eva-01 with the transport platform from Newtype. They fulfilled my order the same weekend, and it got from California to Michigan within a week. So there’s one data point in their favor. The rest of my models have just come from Target.

I just ordered the same model from them, they had the shipping label printed and ready to go in less than 2 hours after I bought it

boz
Oct 16, 2005
RG Hi-Nu in stock at Newtype

boz
Oct 16, 2005
First time trying panel lining and doing other things

boz
Oct 16, 2005
For anyone not in the discord, Hobby Lobby already doing their 40% off on models again

Their online stock is a little bare but they have more models in the brick and mortar.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
The box size is making me nervous, about to start building thick boy

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Been a while since I posted here. My girlfriend got me the Eva Kiryu for my birthday. The box is huge. I've never done a gunpla of this scale before. I'm excited.

That's the thing that got me into doing gunpla a month or two ago. It's still in the closet and hasn't been built yet, it's a bit intimidating.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Big guy was a lot of fun to build, trying to decide if I even want to panel line, let alone do stickers.

Also core gundam is my new favorite thing

boz
Oct 16, 2005
At least one PG Unleashed available at Newtype (had to cancel my order)

https://newtype.us/p/94r57Cb7gf2uyEnpOuqM/h/pg-unleashed-rx-78-2-gundam

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I think I just added number 43 to my backlog, so I'm definitely down for it.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Starting with this later today.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
First one done

Better use of the shield

And next up

boz fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 5, 2022

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Finished this last night, first time doing anything besides straight build/gundam marker

The dark grey parts and the inner part of the shield I did a dark purple. Don't have any spray cans or airbrush, so I handprimed and handpainted it. Big parts don't look great, but it was a first try so I'll chalk it up to inexperience. Also did a matte topcoat for the first time, only did one layer but I like how it turned out.

(I don't expect 2 extra points for it, as I didn't paint that much of it, really just experimenting)

And next build:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Went to local hobby shops build meet today, met some cool people. Met an old guy who goes around and helps organize different conventions, last one he helped with was SDCC.

Finished this while I was there:

Next two builds:

Posting these together, as I'll be working on the MG while the 30MM is drying/curing etc.

Going from Portanova[Brown] to Portanova[Anything Else But Brown]

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Halman posted:

Where do people go to resell kits? My ADHD has done the ol shuffle and so I've got a few kits sitting here that I will just never start.

You could post them here or in SA-Mart. You may have some stuff someone here is interested in.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Finally free from sticker hell, but waiting until tomorrow to pose (was half done months ago and I am lazy)

Did that one a month or so ago, I agree on those stickers.

Good luck posing, it can definitely hold the hammer with both hands, mine was posed like that till my daughter decided it shouldn't be.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Finished painting the Portanova

Humidity here was real bad, but used rattle cans anyway. The armor green is spraycan and the blue/green color was handpainted. This was the first time I did the entire paint > gloss > panel line > matte process.

Also tried some weathering at the end with some dry-brushed chrome paint and then some brown on the feet

I think it looks better with the robot head rather than the default head:

And this is what a straight build looks like for comparison

Tons of mistakes were made, but I learned a lot.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just finished the clear grandpa MG 3.0

Turned out pretty good I think. Put a couple decals on, per usual they don't look that great. Going to order some waterslides eventually to do it justice.

The build was fun, but really stressful, felt like I was squinting the whole time to read numbers on the clear runners, and then dropping a couple pieces on the floor was a good time as well.

Gonna slow down and do a SD now:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Couldn't sleep so I got the SD Unicorn done

Transformed it and stuck the decals on, this time I used my hobby knife to make the decals as small as possible, definitely makes a difference

This one may take a bit cause I'm gonna try handpainting it completely and see how it goes.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Ball Twins are a bust, only paints I have right now are a cheap 20 dollar acrylic set I bought off of Amazon. Learning that I may need to invest in something not those to get decent results. May try again later but for now it's going back on the shelf.

Going for this next instead:

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nerobro posted:

I wish I had known about backlogust. I have... a bunch of models. haha.

I ~think~ one of the differences between model grade paints and cheap paints, is how finely the pigments are ground, and the percentage of pigment suspended in the carrier. The stuff I've used that's not artist/hobby grade always ends up.. grainy.

Barbatos rex seems to get over that by airbrushing it really thin.. but even then you can see.. the pigment.. sometimes.

Only handbrushing at the moment, hope to have an airbrush setup before the year is out

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nerobro posted:

I do all my paint at my comptuer desk. So it's all handbrushing for me too.

Stuff like this gives me hope. Just had some Vallejo paints / matte / gloss come in today, gonna pull the ball twins back out and try some more.

Edit:

Finished the Origin Guntank

Definitely going to go back and give it some camo paint some day, this model is begging for it.

Next up is MG Char's Gelgoog

boz fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 16, 2022

boz
Oct 16, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Handbrushing is totally viable. Airbrushing gets a lot of hype but if you take your time and build up thin coats nobody will be able to tell the difference once its finished.

My hurdle right now is trying to get the right ratio for a thin coat, been watching a couple of youtubes about it but I feel like that sweet spot may take some practice.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks for all the advice everyone, will definitely try and implement for the rest of this kit and the future.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Went back and finished the Blue Ball Twins

Left was done earlier this week with the cheaper paint, right was with the Vallejo.

Painted before I had a good knack on the thinning, so it went on a bit thick and covered a detail here and there.

I did notice with this kit that a lot of the panel line recesses on the arms are barely even there, even without paint.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just finished Char's MG Gelgoog 2.0

I love Zeon suits, always giant feet.

Was debating on finally starting my PG Unicorn, but don't know if I'd finish before the month is up, so I'll play it safe:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I don't like watching reviews for kits I want to build because I don't like spoilers.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

The only Gundam reviews worth watching are the dude who reviews bootlegs from inside a Philippine prison

You can't just drop that here without a link or something.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
RG Nu Gundam finished:

Build was a blast. Only put on a couple of decals, going to order some waterslides next month.

Gonna work on some more Unicorn stuff:

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Azubah posted:

Careful with the hips on this, the leg pegs are weak.

Much appreciated, I'll be careful when I connect those

boz
Oct 16, 2005
HG Narrative Gundam C-packs finished. Forgot how scrawny his arms were

Took a couple of hours to decide, but I've had this in my closet since May I think,

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nerobro posted:

I'm slowly switching out everything I can for RG stuff. It just all "feels" better.

Same here, if I have the RG or MG, the HG typically takes the bench.

I may use some of those HGs to practice painting on.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
RG Wing Zero finished

This thing feels so tiny after building the Nu Gundam (HiRes Powered Red Astray Sword for scale)

Timestamp and next up:

boz
Oct 16, 2005
HG Origin Guncannon finished:

Like all the other Origin models I have built, this one was also a good time. Will need to tighten the piston on the cannon, as it won't hold a position right now.

Next up is Titans-colored Core Gundam

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Titans Core Gundam finished:

Trying to get all the colors/versions of these. Tons of fun to pose and mess with.

Next and possibly last up is MG RX-78 GP02A from 1998

boz
Oct 16, 2005
MG finished:

Shield: Was excited about the giant shield. Now not so much, way too heavy to hold up (will need to tighten joints) The handle isn't even in a good place where it could hold it and have it propped on the ground. The cannon for the bazooka is stored in the shield though, so that's pretty neat. And his green beam sabers are also pretty sick

(Not even holding it in this picture, it's just leaned up against it)

Next up, HG Bael:

boz fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 28, 2022

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Tarquinn posted:

Huh, it seems most of you are into HG/RG kits.

Are MGs to big? Too expensive?

Expense definitely plays a part, especially if I pick anything up from the local store. They normally mark up a bit. But for 1 MG a lot of times you can get 2 or 3 HGs, plus what the others said, some suits just aren't MGs. (yet)

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Argas posted:

My original stint with Gunpla was MG mostly. I built plenty of HG/HGUCs of ye olden times but I was mostly passionate for big detailed kits.

My current stint with Gunpla is mainly modern HGs because there's many things that don't have a MG version and it's easier to slap on a few "fixes" or add-ons to a 1/144 kit of HGUC grade or equivalent, while a MG kind of demands a higher level of detail.

This, plus if I mess up an HG I don't feel too bad as I'm only out 20-30 bucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

This threads most requested MG kits:

Everything that doesn't already have an MG.

Also an Exia 2.0