Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I’ve been using this: https://www.amazon.com/Rustark-Gund...04887757&sr=8-4 modeling tools kit for the last few kits and it’s been working pretty well so far but I was wondering if getting more expensive, higher quality nippers would be a good idea so it’d be easier to clean up nubs. On the other hand, if the difference in ease of cutting isn’t going to be that great I might as well not bother. I’m looking for something priced mid-range, a little less expensive than godhands. Would the tamiya nippers be a good pick? The other tools are fine, I still have some x-acto blades left but I don’t know how to use the metal file and I haven’t used the sanding sticks all that much. Usually I cut the piece off the runner and then nip the nub off, using the x-acto blade if I need to.

Yes. That kit is nice. It's got useful things. I still use mine.

I refuse to spend $75 on nippers. (Read: godhand) But I am happy to spend $70 on nippers to find the one that's not $75. (Because i'm a bit crazy, it also means I can make suggestions like this.) So I did. Here's what you need to buy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RW8VTSX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I spent $60 on other nippers getting there.

Because few place (any?) tell you what makes good nippers. Here's what I've found. You want FLUSH cutting on one side, and you want narrow blades. The blue handled ones are better than like.. wire nippers, but only "just". And you want them SHARP. The blue ones I linked, are sharp. And flush. It also looks like "single blade" nippers are at thing, I can't say anything about them yet.

I tend to do the double snip method. Then I do a final shaving with a hobby knife. As much as I LOVE x-actos. (My mom, and stepmom were both graphic and fine artists depending on what year you talk to them about) so... I've been around them. A lot. I found that the little hobby knifes are better. They take 45 or 60 deg blades. Let me link that.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MTI3QQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 They're slightly harder to find blades for. And they're a lot more fragile. Tradeoff being, they stay sharper. And I'm completely unwilling to spend time sharpening x-acto's like lots of people will do.

If you like X-Actos, cool too. Pick up more blade, they're cheap in bulk, and if you "think" you should change it, you should have changed it a long time ago.

And since i'm new here. Here's my current project.

A few Mobile Workers from IBO.

They're expensive. The IBO options kit that comes with ONE mobile worker, is $25 or more now. And when did you ever see "A" mobile worker deployed. So... that had to be solved.

A. Few.

I decided I wanted 100 of them. Beucase if you're gonna go big, go big. That print you see there, has 26 mobile workers on it. And, sadly, takes about 4 days to print.

Here's what I get in the end. It's surprisingly little plastic.

I have the first 40 painted. And I have enough raw models to finish it up now.

Cannon has some odd colors, so i'm just going through my stock of tamiya paint and doing all the colors. Though I think I'll return and do some more beige and white.

I'm worried about doing washes on them, due to the lines from the 3d printing. But getting the panel detail is driving me mad. My gundam markers absolutely will not draw on latex paint. So I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking about tamiya panel line ink.... what do you think?

And how about an in-process shot.

While we're here, here's the process I'm using. After cleaning up the plastic, I'm priming using tamiya grey surfacer. Then I paint all the "dark grey" bits, which is the middle of the chassis, the mudflaps up front, the guns, and the front of the missile racks. Then I do the color. That's the three legs, body, and main section of the guns. Then I come in with flat black, and do the wheels, sensor turret and what would be the headlights. I then sand the wheels so they're flatter and are "on the ground" and the tank sits even. Then I feel "done". Except for when I try to do the panel lining.

... Hi, I build gundam. And other models because covid says I can't go anywhere.

Edit: Uh.. if any of you want a pair of Mobile Workers, say something, asking users to pay $26 to build one is obscene. Pay postage I'll send you a couple.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

Anyone have opinions on Tamiya nippers? Those seem to be the best mid-range nippers I have available to me. How about Bandai's own set of nippers that they offer?

I'm not kidding about the $7.50 nippers I linked to on amazon.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm. Bored.

Mind if I tell a story? Just before covid hit, I was at the local hobbytown, and I was there to pick up some paint, as I was doing a r/c car body that weekend. While I was there, there were some tables setup, and a whole bunch of people building gundam.

Now, I've never seen inside a box before. And I HAVE seen models over the years. I had no reason to think that gundam were molded in... color? And some even were molded with joints and frames as one peice? Boy my eyes were opened that day. I called a RC buddy of mine, and he showed me a bunch of things, and I bought two models that day. Gundam 00 Exia Repair, and Gundam 00 Dynames Trans-Am. Because one was blue, and one was pink.

I spent the next two weeks of evenings spending 10-20 minutes with my boy and girl on the kitchen floor doing a step or two of the gundam. They're.. harder.. than they can do. As the boy is 5 and the girl is 7. But they were interested, and were really happy in the end when they got ~their~ robot.

Well, then.. I needed my own gundam. I forgot what I bought next. Oh, that's right, IBO Barbatos. But a whole freight train of models has followed. I ended up watching Gundam 00 start to finish.

Now this wasn't my first exposure to gundam, but.. the movie of gundam wing I watched at ACEN 20 years ago didn't really do it for me. I am, was, maybe still am? a guy who lusts after Valkyries. And that's where this story picks up.

Gundam (HG and RG) are 144th scale. But, the sets and scenes on tv dont' give a really good feel for the size. I had to figure that out. A trip down ebay with the keyword 1/144 quickly lead to things like a 1:144 scale F-14, and more importantly, a F4u, and P-51. These are things I've walked up to, and touched. And I have a viceral feel for "what the size of the thing" is.

Speaking of a 144th scale F-14, here's one next to Gundam Vidar.

Most people haven't been "near" a F-14. F-14's are huge. F-14's are closer to the size of a B-17, than they are to a P-51. They're whoppers. But it also shows that gundam are "real scale". This is a thing that we humans have built, that pulls 7g, and drops it's portly behind onto the steel deck of an aircraft carrier. It makes gundam seem almost plausible.

So now I have a thing. I'm still a Macross fan. Almost nothing of Macross is 144 scale. But.... I did some digging. And found an IAMI mold of the VF-1. It doesn't transform... but the kit came with all three modes in the box.

Vidar, who lives on my mousepad. Next to a VF-1J. Valkyries are T I N Y.

Also, building the Valkyrie was.. like a normal model. Except the mold is trash. Lots of filler and the... fidelity is not good.

The fighter mode, is like.. half the size of a F-14

It's not done yet, but because it's mecha, it's relevant.

It's a lot bigger than the VF-1.

And now, I feel like I have a real understanding of how big these things are. Maybe you do too now?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

The best way to get a real understanding is to go to Odaiba or Yokohama.

They built 1:1 scale versions of a couple Gundams there.

They're pretty big, as it turns out!

Covidmas means that's a no-go. :-) At least for now.

To add something to the thread.

The reason I went through the initial exercise, was "is a gundam battlemech sized? is it super robot sized? is it godzilla sized? is it Jager sized?"

Gundam are in the 65' tall range.

Godzilla, started out at 165' tall. So a gundam is small versus godzilla.
Voltron, is 328' tall. And you could have a swarm of gundam fighting the defender of the universe.
Jagers, from pacific rim, are around 250'. Gundam would look like toddlers.
Battlemechs range from 23 to 56' tall. So would appear "short" versus a Gundam. (and there aren't any 144th scale battlemechs... Kinda, save the VF-1 (stinger, wasp..).. wait, i'm wrong, the desteroids are available as 144th scale... I may need to buy some more kits.)

Back to actual models. Is the tamiya panel line stuff a good plan? or should I be chasing some other method to get things like the cockpit windows and access hatches highlighted.

Ibblebibble posted:

RG Force Impulse done. That was a really fun build, didn't realise just how mongo the backpack was until now.

I really need to work on my photo-taking skills.

It really is a monster. That looks good. The related one I have on my wall I have with all the bits closed up, as he'd overlap the rest of the display. Heh.

Perhaps I should share how I have these things put up.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

If your kids want to make some gunpla there are some 1/144 scale kits that are more simplistic than High Grades.

There is, but once a kid's played with a high grade.. how do you convince them to go back? :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

mllaneza posted:

And here's someone putting waaaay too much work into a Macross kit plus display,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYgCH1C5TCE

Needs better speakers.

Doesn't transform. Doesn't fly. Boo Hiss.

Really though, it's a good job.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well.. I just ordered I think 3 MG kits... HG are down to like the 90 minute mark. Hah.

I managed to build my Penelope two weeks ago. That took.. a few hours. It's very, very large. Even the base Gundam inside is very large. Overall, it's quite .. fiddly? delicate? I broke one of the skirt support frames just assembling the thing. Even assembling the Penelope on the base gundam was tricky, as you end up needing to align four not exactly pins.

It looks cool. It's not much of a toy, and the things that make it ~cool~ you can't show off without really like.. playing with it. Frustrating. But.. it was bought for me with the intent of being a real trial to build. :-) (A full 1/4 of the gundam I own were bought with the intent of making a pile of pretty colored gundam glitter, and being tricky to build.)

Same night I was building Peen-a-lope, my buddy was building the MRX-010 Psycho Gundam. What a weird machine. It.. transforms into a .. building? Also it makes the Penelope seem small. It's the first gundam I've seen that needed actual screws to assemble.

Tonight I built the Gundam GNT-0000 00 Qan[T]. Just to start off, the name is a mouthful. I do like that it's a return to the "light and lithe" ideal of Exia, and Exia repair. It was a fairly easy build, the trickiest bits being the stickers on the head. It poses really well, and comes with a glitter green stand. And that suits the model really nicely. The shield isn't quite as positive on it's attachment as I'd like, but for a HG kit, I'm giving it a solid pass on that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

HaroPla turns out to be... a blast if you have kids around. And at $7-14 a model... it's a great way to introduce people. My kiddos are (5 and 7) are able to go from zero to "complete haro" in about 20 minutes. And theyr'e excellent to acutally play with.

Don't buy the HaroLoader. Do buy the MobileHaro. :-) This is my review of HeroPla.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

Buy a Mobile Haro regardless of who you are. It's a triumph of robot aesthetics, and a solid kit to boot.

It really is! And if you're feeling kinky, it's got a lot of things you could potentially detail with paint, or markers. But "even out of the box" it's good. And stable. And has good color separation.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It just sucks really bad, the arms barely stay in the torso and the claw gimmick doesn’t really work. It was my first large haropla kit and I was really disappointed.

The fitter is pretty good, though.

Well...

The orange plastic is styrene, and not "good" plastic. Most of the joints are slip fit between abs and styrene. It won't last. Heck, the joint between my lower torso and the upper torso is already uselessly lose. The arms can't hold anything. The claws.. as noted, don't work. they barely go anywhere useful. The hinges on the legs are nonsense, and if you put any load on it, the legs pop out of the lower torso.

It's not bandai quality. Like.. at all.

The haro though? is 2nd gen, and has the keyboard and display and such.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I dove into Master Grades a few weeks back.

I ordered a Zaku II, and a GP01. The Zaku II is a fairly recent MG. And it was a lovely build. It's neat, fun to mess around with, has lots of range of motion... I like it.

Well.. last night I built the GP01. It's.. from... 1997. 23 years old.

So, depsite it being a cheap MG kit. Don't.. buy.. it. Let me count the ways. First, is lots of the model is injected from thin, and not rich with pigment, styrene. So they're almost translucent. I'm not sure it's the age of the tooling, but these parts had more flash than I've seen on any Bandai kit. The color separation is.. hilariously bad. There's no yellow plastic, at all. There's a moderate amount of stickers, but even that misses out on a lot of color correctness. The shoulders have no connection between the arms and the shoulder armor. The hands don't hold anything well. The shield has.. no articulation. All the gates are conventional, and no attempt was made at hiding them. There's no undergating, or clever gating to make things hidden.

This really, is just a big High Grade kit.

What's nice? Well it's got the fighter unit. It comes with three sets of hands. And as long as you're not doing anything with it? it looks pretty good.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Zarikov posted:

Does anyone have a good hookup for spare polycap pieces? I would have thought these would be easy to find but I'm having little luck. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms?

I've been playing around making bandai gunpla compatible parts with my 3d printer, and using some spare polycaps for the joints. Unfortunately, I don't have near enough of them to build a whole model from scratch.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3598434

Print in TPU. :-)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

If you don't wanna spend $75, I can suggest these two:

This is $20: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0894TVBYN/ stedi 4.7-inch Model Nipper

And this is $8: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RW8VTSX/ IGAN igan-330 nippers. I have recently put in a warrenty claim with them... and they're sending me a new set. (the spring broke.)

They're double edge clippers, so aren't quite as slick as the single edge ones. The Stedi ones are.. only slightly, better than the IGAN ones.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

About brushes: I think there's far to little said about them, and they're treated far to preciously. There's a solid midrange of brushes, between the "ohmygod it won't even pick up paint" or "leaves 80% of it's brissles on the model" and $50 per brush, made by naked artisians at 72.1 deg and 41% humidity of the finest camel hair harvested from 8 month old calves.....

The "kind" of brush, matters more. Is it stiff? Is it supple? is it round? Is it flat? Where do you want to use those? How often should you be wetting it? etc, etc, etc.... These aren't discussed nearly enough.

My experience with brushes comes from my mom. She painted professionally for most of her working life. Flowers, and houses mostly. For commission.

She.. made a living at it. And did very little of what I see people do to protect their brushes. Never did I see a brush clipped up in a cup. Never did I see a brush much more than washed in rinse cup water. But brushes were NEVER left with paint in them. Brushes were often left in cups. (my most common two brushes are currently IN my cup upstairs... They're not wooden so i'm not worried about it..)

Arcsquad12 posted:

I like my Lotos but I wish they had bigger feet. Theyre very top heavy.

I've bought that kit.. four times now. Attempting to perfect it. The knees are hilarious, and kill the kit. Also, the parts fit on the legs is... iffy at best. There's currently 5 of them built around here, and two more in a sealed box...

They are going to be my first custom gundam. I am going to do at least one in snow-camo colors. And maybe a stealth-ish one.

I'm quite amused by the idea that one of the smallest gundam, is ALSO the one that carries a squad of troops in the back. And has one of the smallest reactor outputs.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 12, 2021

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Monaghan posted:

My six year old stepdaughter asked if she could gunpla two days ago and she's already built a petit guy and a little haro. She want's do some more so I'm seeing if my local comic shop has anything that she likes.

I guess I should be responsible and resist the urge to just go "hell yeah you can have more gunpla" for when she asks for more kits after this.

The only real problem with getting people into GunPla, is that it ruins them for "normal" kits.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Onmi posted:

That's nice and all... but I want a 1/144 ship kit.

So... Uh... 144 scale ships.. are a thing...

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq6EpFloN1c

144 scale ships, lets say an aircraft carrier... would be 7.5 feet long. Even a burke class destroyer would be 3.5 feet.

The Potelermos would be 5.7 feet long. https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/CBS-70_Ptolemaios

That's... something. Now I am very, very, interested....

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Onmi posted:

Oh I know they'd be stupid large. But I have this odd desire for everything to "Be in Scale"

Nothing odd there. I have a VF-1J, a bunch of WW2, and modern planes, and the gundam all in 1:144 scale.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yes. Lots.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

For the americans out there....

Target is carrying Gunpla now. And they have a few target exclusives now.

Anything they've got on their shelves has been updated too. Like.. I'm about to re-buy the RG exia because I bet it's been updated too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You've ordered one already, haven't you?

I've checked five targets, and found zero.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've bought evrything but the exia. They all have manuals updated with english...

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I love the RG justice gundam. It's pink/magena. And different. And spiky. and it's got all the RG linking armor.

And the KIT IS AWFUL. I think I broke 5 parts building it. I... don't.. break.. parts... I'm sad. And it's floppy and can't stand, even without the pack. The disappointment is so great.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I wish I had known about backlogust. I have... a bunch of models. haha.

boz posted:

Ball Twins are a bust, only paints I have right now are a cheap 20 dollar acrylic set I bought off of Amazon. Learning that I may need to invest in something not those to get decent results. May try again later but for now it's going back on the shelf.

I ~think~ one of the differences between model grade paints and cheap paints, is how finely the pigments are ground, and the percentage of pigment suspended in the carrier. The stuff I've used that's not artist/hobby grade always ends up.. grainy.

Barbatos rex seems to get over that by airbrushing it really thin.. but even then you can see.. the pigment.. sometimes.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

boz posted:

Only handbrushing at the moment, hope to have an airbrush setup before the year is out

I do all my paint at my comptuer desk. So it's all handbrushing for me too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

boz posted:

My hurdle right now is trying to get the right ratio for a thin coat, been watching a couple of youtubes about it but I feel like that sweet spot may take some practice.

AAah, a place I can give advice.

The actual "ratio" is much less important than you might think. it's important that it's thin enough to "flow". That's the important bit. If it's to thin, it'll take more coats. If it's to thick, it's obvious it's brushed paint. So... thinner.

It takes coats. Lots. Of. Coats. When I've not been good with my thinning, as many as six coats. When I AM good with my thinning.. more like four, three if I am lucky.

Your first coat will be streaky, runny, and likely have gathered pigment at the edges. Your second coat will do better. The third.. even better.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

This is what I did last night. A wide range of techniques here... Some paint, some stickers, some panel liner.

This is my favorite IBO kit.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Naaa, it's the 1/144 scale one. My old one lives on my mousepad. I am now 2-3 years down the road in my skills, so I thought it was time to do one "well". This one is definitely better.

I do have the 1/100 FM model in my backlog... but... I'm kinda not doing 1/100 models till I get the house clean enough to display them. Or until Exia 2.0 is released.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

Is this a Backlogust entry?

I haven't been bothered to go back and look at the rules. :-) Though, this does mean I built a DEEPLY backlogged model in august. That model has been here for about two years.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Like.. a year ago. A buddy of mine built those twins while I was building.... I think.. MG Kyrios? I need to get to decaling my RG Zeta....

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

MechaX posted:

So now that I'm a little bit deeper in this hobby compared to a year and a half ago, I was just wondering; what is the general consensus for the youtubers like MechaGaikotsu?

Just wondering people's thoughts these days or if there's other content creators out there to watch out for

Ugh. Ok, so here's my rule with reviewers. Reviewers aren't ~for their reviews~. Reviewers are for what they're showing, and knowing what they value. There's a radio personality here in chicago, who I listen to his movie reviews. We.. rarely.. agree. But I know what he values, and know what sets him off. It tells me exactly what I need to know about a movie. MechaGaikotsu does the same thing for me. Often his review of "bad" kits are what makes me buy them. That's how I approach most reviews in general. And things like ratings systems... all go out the door eventually.

Kakarot197 is.. good for information, but he is to me, pretty insufferable. :-/ And his actual gunpla reviews are typically years out of date.

ZakuAurelius is ~fine~.

I end up watching model making videos more than gunpla videos. I should check my subscriptions to figure that out.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Monaghan posted:

I really need to check listings on amazon more closely.

25 nano blue leds seemed like a good deal until I got them and I realised that it's bare wire. There's no way I can use them in a gunpla kit. They'll inevitably come into contact with another led's wire.

ten bucks down the drain.

You sure they're not varnished wires? I'd expect that in that sort of situation.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

boz posted:

Took a couple of hours to decide, but I've had this in my closet since May I think,

I'm not generally a fan of gundam wing. But the EW version is beautiful. It's one of the gundam that lives above my desk.

Above my desk, I have Kyrios with the bomb pack, that I printed. Freedom. Arios with Archer, and Wing EW.

I'm slowly switching out everything I can for RG stuff. It just all "feels" better.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

boz posted:

Everything that doesn't already have an MG.

Also an Exia 2.0

They just repopped Exia 1.0. I have it, I built it, I'm unhappy with it's hips. I have Virtue, Kyrios, and Dynames.. here.. waiting... OH YEAH, any of the non hero stuff in 1/100 or MG. The flag is unobtanium.

I'm having some real trouble getting myself to finish even a HG these days. I have half a dozen RG's staring me down..

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

I got this dude for my birthday on July 27th, along with a Lego Optimus Prime. It was a busy month, so it's kind of like a backlog of one. It's my sixth dude since starting the hobby this past Christmas.

Guess who I made today? Mine came in a monochrome box..

I say today, but it took me four, beucase my mental state is T R A S H.

Also thought I should share this guy:

Finally got his leg boosters installed. And you can see the one he's replacing in the background.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 30, 2022

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm buying the max p-bandai will allow when this comes out. Seems like a really good match for my.. floatilla of D-50 Lotos.

Has anyone here ever been surprised when ordering kits, to have them show up and NOT be Bandai? This is the second time I've ordered from USAGS and ended up with... suprises. The first time I knew it was an aftermarket set, but.. it was trash. (flight pack for the RG astray red frame) This time I bought both HWS for Nu, and Hi-Nu, and they're both chinese. So.. they have questionable plastic and surface finishes. And decidedly don't have the color fidelity. They're not "expensive" but they're also not early HGUC cheap.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Prof. Banks posted:

I get not having capacity to meet demand and not wanting to overproduce and be left holding the bag, but when they're doing pre-orders for a pressing they presumably have not produced yet since they're pre-orders and not, well, orders, why not actually treat them like a pre-order should be and use the number pre-ordered as the number that will end up being produced. Like announce that pre-orders will be open for a week and whatever is ordered in that time will be what's made. Then make them.

If their whole thing is to not take risks, then doing pre-orders that way means that they have no risk since that week's worth of orders have been paid for. What they're doing now has a lower ROI since they're having to spend money on designing and making molds for lots of things that get tiny runs.

TLDR: I want my spartan, but I have a job and a kid and adult poo poo to do so I can't spend all day on a discord or reddit or pressing F5 on the P-Bandai site waiting for the 6 minute window where it's actually available. :argh:

The alternative is Supreme. You do not want Supreme.

They charge reasonable prices, and don't oversell, or inflate prices to.. well.. people are paying a 100% markup on popular cars. They're leaving money on the table because they make enough money. I am ~very~ thankful they're still a Japanese company, and will do that sort of thing. Once you apply the MBA handbook ~everyone is unhappy~. Especially you.

PM me. I bought three of the GM Snipers. Lets work something out.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Monaghan posted:

gently caress it I'm gonna be salty right now

I didn't even place in the top 3. First place was this

It's a standard model kit star wars legion barc speeder. With a kind of poo poo paint job. Also there's apparently two other star wars kits that were ostensibly better than my stuff. I even included pictures of the unpainted unaltered kits to show what work I did. I tell ya, gunpla gets no respect!

You got robbed. Also, we're in the same facebook group.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah, I've been to multiple hobby shops run by geezers and their reactions to gunpla chat ranged from oblivious to open hostility.

As a guy who does both.... I can see where the elitists come from. I got into model building when I was.. 5-6 years old. At the time, it was just glue and the color it was molded in. And what was on the shelves at Toys-r-us. Mostly. This means I was building ~the best models~ of the era. And they were .. at least ok.

In the last two years, I started building model planes again. Mostly so I'd have "something real" so I could ~know~ how big a gundam was. What I discovered was, models, unless you're really careful about like.. tracking down the exact tooling, in general SUCK. There aren't that many molds, many have been in use since like the 1950s. Lots of them are downright terrible.

So I can totally see people going "you didn't have to wash, paint, fill, make detail parts...." and being dicks about it. Shoot, "I" was avoidant of gunpla becasue of my modeling experience. I didn't know they were in color, or even the mold quality.

I was in the oblivious group. Being a dick, is still being a dick.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

IG-88 posted:

Well in that case, what’s a good tool kit to pick up? All I have are clippers and a purple mat :)

Amazon preferred lol

Straight smooth jaw pliars: https://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Plie...46&sr=8-39&th=1 this set will do.

Since you only have clippers?
Buy these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RW8VTSX?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k2_1_5&amp=&crid=39HLM03TFBFDA&sprefix=igan%2B&th=1
If you have a few more dollars: https://www.amazon.com/stedi-4-7-in...288&sr=8-4&th=1

Those are what I buy for me. And I've bought every set of nippers under $20. And i'm unimpressed by the $50-80 sets.

Everyone talks about glass files. They're right.

$8 for a set of two fine, two medium
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08222X79D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit: I rarely see it discussed.

But here's how I evaluate nippers. For what we do, we need sharp, and thin blades. Thin blades means they need to line up well.

Most of the economy nippers on the market are stampped metal. The pivot surface in those is ALWAYS sloppy. They're just a no go. That includes the low end of the godhand line.

The cast frames, with the pressed and ground pivots are always better. Both nippers I posted have the pliar type pressed and ground frames.

But side cutters with cast, pressed and ground pivots are easy to find. Then comes the part we care about, damage to the models.. this is where sharp and thin blades come in. When I started buying the.. oh.. 20 sets of nippers I bought, I went searching for nippers where the blades were cut back. If you look at the Stedi MS-100's I posted, most of the head of the nipper is trimmed back. This helps prevent marring of the plastic where the cut is made. The IGAN 330's have a similiar thing, but it's less cut back.

Single blade nippers attempt to take this to another level. By using one jaw as an anvil, and one blade as the cutter, they are attempting to bring a thinner blade to the party. Like when you buy PVC tubing cutters at the hardware store.

I've not had good luck with single blade cutters, as they require cutting from one side, and that is often NOT the side I care about. And they still leave a good mark on the surface. (If you like them, more power to you... I can also recomend a couple that work as well as my MS-100's)

Single blade: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JYPFRQ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Moai Ou posted:

*Lots of useful information*

My Steadi MS-100's are about equal to the Tamiyas. Tamiya, tools in general, are markup tools, everything they sell is made by someone else, except their plastic goods. The high end godhands seem to have a VERY defnite use life... a $75 tool with a "oops the cutter cracked off" can just not get in my toolbox to start with.

I use the same mat cutter type knives for doing cleanup. But I use $2-3 handles. https://www.amazon.com/Cutter-Resin...ols%2C95&sr=1-9 Thirteen bucks for two? The blades are hardened more than X-acto so they stay sharper longer, but they also chip easier. Don't pry with them.

Tweezers I tend to buy sets of. If you're bored and out with your SO, or you're of the pursuasion yourself, hit the local makeup shop, their tweezers and nail file sections are gold. Also.. pick up some clear nail polish while you're there!

I end up burnishing my decals with the back end of my hobby knife.

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Dec 17, 2022