Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

I managed to find a bunch of the Advance of Zeta kits in Taipei on a trip! Gonna start putting stuff together tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Apprentice Dick posted:

Look at this absolute unit Bluefin put up for preorder.

Sweet GODDAMNED Christ that thing is beautiful.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Oh goddamnit, I just received a P-Bandai Hrududu II kit (from Advance of Zeta) that's sitting on my desk at home and now I'm contemplating ordering a TR-6 Haze'nthley II Rah kit. Why in the goddamn hell did they make the new AoZ kits P-Bandai? Does Bandai not want to make fistfulls of money off of these kits? They have to make fresh tooling and molds for all of them anyway, why not just make them standard HGUC kits?

:<

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

My guess is that since those suits only show up in an old manga, Bandai figured they wouldn't have a ton of appeal to casual consumers.

Possibly true, but if they sold well there are something like a dozen or more variants that they could make, using most of the same core parts.

Puddin posted:

Tell me about it the Aoz kits are all some of the best looking kits around. Like I get all the niche kits that only some like but they're too good to not get a general release.

I know it's cause they can charge what they want and always sell out of what they make until they get reprinted but at least give other markets the availability to easily order them without reseller mark ups.

I know I'm one of the suckers that keeps buying them. I've got a TR-6 sitting in a box for the last few months since I got back from Taiwan just waiting for this box to arrive today.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

The core TR-6 Woundwort is so tiny!

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Not truly plamo, but I received an amazing VF-1J from SDF: Macross in Millia Falina's colors today! This one's one of Arcadia's 1/60

It'll be great with the YF-19 I got last year. I wish there were better Macross models for anything that's not from the VF-25's line and descendants. I'd pay a lot for a well designed VF-11 or 17, or YF-21...

:shepspends:

At least there're some really good figures for many of them these days.

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 18, 2020

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

Hard agree. More Macross kits at a modern standard would be amazing expensive amazing. I've got an old transformable VF-1A. It's a glue kit, but went together pretty well. The mechanics of it are just not great. It transforms, but doesn't feel solid and the detail are mediocre. I also have a VF-25 to compare it with, and the 25 is a great kit. I've lot some important pieces from my original VF-25, so I should be seeing a new one this week to scratch that itch. The difference in quality between the two models is night and day.

In non-transformable kits, the 1/100 VF-25 fighter-mode is also a gorgeous kit. Not a lot of pieces, all really well formed. It really shows off the beauty of the VF-25. but it's an amazing amount of stickers or masking paint to get all the details of the paint job. The black and red details highlight the white paint job, but are an amazing amount of work to apply. Looks drat good when it's done, and it's only about a $20 kit.

I've gotten a few Macross kits over the years, the VF-0S by Wave was quite nice but was a kit that needed full glue and paint. I guess what I want is something like a 1/60 scale Master-Grade equivilent. The 1/72 kits from Bandai I build for the VF-1 and VF-25 were okay as static displays but felt like plastic spaghetti when ever I tried to transform them. A 1/60 VF4 would be something I'd pay a good deal for, same with the VF-11 and YF-21 if they somehow figured out how to make the '21 look good in Battroid mode.

There's a load of great kits from Hasegawa and Wave and Bandai but none really work for me. I guess that's why I'm slowly getting into the transformable figures now, even if they're even more expensive.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Oh sweet goddamn hell yes!!!

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Got the TR-6 Haze'n-Thley II done! It's a ridiculous mobile suit but I love the Advance of Zeta designs. Shown with the Hrududu II add-on kit I got last year and the standard TR-6 Woundwort. The Haze'n-Thley is ~240mm tall, probably the biggest 1/144 Gundam kit I've assembled now.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Ooooh, I've been wondering and waiting for a kit/figure of the flight unit. Might have to splurge and get that, build it up and display in flight mode.

I've built a few Koto kits, never had any issues with them really. Comparing injection kits to Bandai is a tad unfair in a lot of cases I think.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
My wonderful brother got me the P-Bandai HGUC TR-6 Kehaar II, must've found someone in Japan selling one. It's a really nice kit, transforms with a lot of part swapping just like the other AoZ kits.

And an AoZ family shot!

...And Gabby being super helpful while I was assembling it!

I guess I've got a small but growing Advance of Zeta collection, with how modular the MS' are you can kind of build silly things with them. I'll probobly leave Kehaar II in MA mode while it's on the shelf, I like the odd hockey-puck-with-rabbit-ears look it's got.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

RillAkBea posted:

On the other hand, it's a fairly astute observation that the only people who even remember AoZ are nerds on the internet who are willing to pay a small premium for space rabbits.

(I also keep the Kehaar in donut mode.)

Who knows, maybe someday we'll get a full scale TR-5 Fiver or something else crazy like the massive TR-6 mobile fortress designs.

I only need most of my liver...

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Been working on another project that's had me using my airbrush a lot, got me back in the mood for it. I ended up pulling the Vic Viper I'd half-finished from a few years ago and now I've got it almost finished! Just need to put on the decals in a day or two once the paint has cured, then the final finishing.

I'm pretty happy with it, even if it's been a rush job. Got the kit the first time I was in Taiwan with family.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

I'll eventually finish gluing my VF-31 Battloid together and hate post about that kit; it's a Tomytec.

I built a couple of the VF-1a kits a few years ago, is the VF-31 that bad?

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Looks like they're also reissuing a BUNCH of the AoZ kits too. Bandai, why do you wish harm to my wallet...

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

wdarkk posted:

gently caress ya Kehaar, probably the p-bandai thing I regret missing most of all.

Kehaar II is one of the few kits I keep out on display, it's a good 'un.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Halman posted:

If I wanted to build a VF-1Valkyrie is there a particular kit/brand I should be looking for in order to have the least hassle? And it looks like a lot of them expect you to paint them?

I built the Bandai VF-1 from a few (10 or so?) years ago. While it could be a good kit if you pose it once and then never touch it again, it's not so good as a super fragile plastic hand grenade transformable mecha. I ended up getting a fixed-mode Hasegawa kit and a used Arcadia transformable figure.

Edit- Here's Dalong's build & photos of the kit: http://www.dalong.net/reviews/etc/mv03/mv03_p.htm
It's an incredibly fiddly kit.

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 4, 2021

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Oh, oh goddamnit.

For a few years I stopped buying/building plamo cause I couldn't hold concentration long enough to make them like I wanted. Then I did a quick finish on one of Bandai's VF-1 kits that I had laying around.
And now I've got two Macross resin kits from ~1995 that I'm buying joint parts for.

May Space Whale have mercy on my soul

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Finally got the Queadluun kit scrubbed down and was able to tape enough together to see how big it's really going to be. I knew that they were big but even in 1/72 it's going to be somewhere around 25cm tall.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

koreban posted:

A heads up about BBTS: I placed orders with them for “guaranteed pre order” items last July with an ETA of August. As of January they pushed their ETA out to April and I finally cancelled and ordered from Newtype.

Lots of people speak well of them, however I had nothing but issues, they never contacted me about pushing back ETAs, even after months, and I wouldn’t trust their ETA system as far as I could throw them.

Maybe eventually I would have gotten the stuff I ordered, but after 6 months of their nonsense, I didn’t have patience for it anymore.

I’d either preorder from USAGundamStore and get the 10% off (plus they have the other accessory kits if you were interested) or else tap the heart on Newtype’s store and you’ll get an email when it’s being restocked.

I'm still waiting for a kit from BBTS too, a VF-31 cockpit model that's showing as 'in stock' at HLJ and 1999. Tempted to just order from Japan instead now.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Got a quick build of the Regult from Hasegawa done!

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

Nice ! But now they have to do new versions of the destroids (and Monster).

If Hasegawa does Destroids and more Zentreadi stuff I'll definitely get them.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

My 20+ year old Queadluun-Rau (the original design, this's a recast) kit can finally stand on its own! I've got most of the joints figured out, just the elbows left to work out. Ended up printing out assemblies for the knee joints. It's such a styalized design there isn't a massive amount of possibility but I wanted to be able to move it a bit to pose when it's done.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Made a simple 3d-printed stand base for my Queadluun-Rau kit if anyone wants it. It uses the Action Base support arm.
If anyone wants a Meltrandi emblem stand have fun!

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Potsticker posted:

Where does that logo come from? I don't think I've come across it before.

When Macross - Do you Remember Love was produced and the Metrandi were redesigned they also got their own emblem to further differentiate them from the Zentradi.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

finally, my brain

Haven't done anything but take a look in the box but the instructions are big, clear and full colour by the look of things so that's nice

Oooooh! I've been looking at those off-and-on, let the thread know how they turn out.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Got a big bag of stuff from local hobby shops to entertain family with, going to visit for a few days. I tried to get some for all skill levels, should be fun to do with everyone! I think I'll claim the Hi-Nu for myself so it doesn't get chuckled through the window in frustration.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

It's been a while since I worked on a recent release from Bandai, godDAMN the engineering is amazing on this RG Hi-Nu kit! The color separation is some kind of arcane magic, is it like this with recent MG kits now?!?

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
After working on this kit for a bit over a year, I've finally finished it!

Quimeliquola Queadluun-Rau [1/72 B-Club Recast]

Added joints to most of the common spots. The resin is so heavy compared to an injection kit that she can't really hold herself up too well but with the stand it works pretty well. First time I tried lacquer paints too, the color was so overpoweringly vivid until I put the semigloss finish on it.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

My backlog isn't super-large but almost every single suit is an MG and I just got this today which hasn't helped!

I've got the IMS Engage Octaver SR-1 in the closet waiting behind a bunch of other kits. I built the Bang Doll a few years ago and it's really good and pretty bad at the same time. Volks has some interesting ideas going on in their kits...

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

How do you mean? I'm prepared for it to be a tougher build than a Bandai kit but forewarned is forearmed.

It's not nearly as nice as a Bandai kit, or even a kotobukiya. It's closer to a resin/garage kit in how a lot of the parts fit together and took a lot more glue, at least with the Bang Doll. Kind made sense to me considering what all Volks usually makes aside from their injection kits.

Don't get me wrong, the IMS kits are beautiful once completed, but they're a lot more fiddly than many.

Edit- If you've done part pinning on kits before it can help with some of the tiny joints on kits like this.

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 11, 2023

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Just got a weird kit, it's been a long time since I built a Daban kit.

It's a lot of kit, this is the Daban 8814, a bootleg of the MG Astray Red Frame and the Metal Build Astray Powered Red Frame and 150 Gerbera Straight. The Metal Build isn't a kit, so this is some kind of derivative kit but still working pretty well so far?

Only got the Gerbera Straight part done so far, it's the real reason I got the kit since the Metal Build for this damned thing is so hard to even find.

(still in 1/100)

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
I'm trying some weird poo poo with the remainder of the Daban Astray kit I got. Kitbashing the big arms with a 1/100 TR-6 Woundwort kit I've had built but in storage for a while.

Got it roughed together fairly well, the arms are set into part of how they would be displayed in the Daban kit's instructions, then the whole assembly hooks into the Woundwort's drum frame. Should be fun to mess with.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

grassy gnoll posted:

Backlogust 2023, week two

Logged as a single MG, I think? Correct me if I’m mistaken.

Oh, don't log me! I'm just messing around with kits, not backlog stuff. Sorry!

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

Is that the CuteCube Woundwort? I've heard the original release was a horror story, have they updated the build at all or is it still a nightmare?

edit: Looks like it's a moot point since it's not available anywhere. :(

Yeah, my spouse got it for me like 7 years ago. The construction isn't amazing and there were a few QC issues (including a bad, non critical part) but it's got the best proportions of all of the Woundwort kits I've seen. Some of the peg joints are somewhat loose but it's about on par with an earlier Kotobukiya kit and it doesn't transform.

Edit- I've been looking around for another of it and the kit seems to have vanished from the internet.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Finally got a finishing pass done on my TR-6 Woundwort kit! I think I've had it for something like 6 years built. I really wish someone still made an injection kit or even an easily available resin kit for the Woundwort, it's such a cool design.

Waiting on some new printing resin to work on the Gigantic Arms assembly for it...

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

It shows up on P-Bandai every so often. So.. it still comes out.

The base TR-6 that Bandai has some real poportion, scale and build issues for me. Also, I should have said a 1/100. The only larger-scale ones are a few hard-to-get resin kits and the now well out-of-production Cute Cube kit.

Woundwort is an amazing design (to me), and deserves a good MG/Full Mechanics like kit. I'd pay for it.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Got new parts printed for the TR-6. Finally received the new resin and this stuff prints really nicely, though it's an "ABS-like" so it's flexible. The two halves sagged a bit overnight so I might add in some bracing in the model, or add pin holes and use that to strengthen it.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

DrHammond posted:

Do any Gunpla kits use ABS? I'm a dumb mech/anime enjoyer, not a materials engineer.

Not sure about ABS, there might be a bit. It's sometimes marked on the sprue's tag what material it is, if it's not standard styrene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Self-imposed-punishment-backlog-photo.jpg

I need to get a few of these done before the year's over...