Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BizarroAzrael posted:

What are some good paints that will run through an airbrush but also work with brushes? I know Tamiya don't get on with being brushed on, and Citadel works but I expect I can get cheaper than GW stuff.

And back to the GB gunpla chat, is HLJ still the way? Ebay/Amazon? What do I do to avoid customs charges?

Depends on where you live. In the US, Amazon's prices fall in line or end up being cheaper than shipping from Japan via EMS, especially if you have Prime. But, again, that's here in the states. AmiAmi is your best bet for preorders, but they have limited supply so you have to act early (some of the collectible toys like Robot Damashii and SH Figuarts will sell out almost immediately as soon as preorders go up). HLJ will generally have more stock, restocks relatively often, but I personally mainly use them for their clearance sales which are usually awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Literally The Worst posted:

Hey here's a question: What happens if a package I ordered from HLJ gets marked return to sender, because my mailman is a stupid idiot.

Call your post-office.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

everythingWasBees posted:

I have a "New Material Model Turn A Gundam"
I have no idea what it is. It was $20 bucks, though.

It's basically a "Chogokin" (die-cast) toy of the Turn A Gundam. I hear it was okay for its time, but it's a pretty old figure. I'd be careful with it since I think I remember reading something about them being relatively fragile.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
To be fair, they fudge the scale on a lot of kits. I mean, that's why MG Turn A's seated pilot is so much smaller than their standing one and why the HGFC God Gundam is about the size of some of my Unicorn HGUC kits.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BlitzBlast posted:

I actually went and crunched the numbers, and at 1/144 scale the difference in height between the WZ and the W is small enough to be insignificant. Proto Zero is totally busted though, but hey that's what happens when you reuse inner frames.

The standing pilot figure for the MG Turn A is pretty explicitly not 1/100 though. Just compare it to the cow.

The cow should be small enough to fit into the Turn A's chest without having to remove panels like you have to on the MG and the seated pilot is absolutely tiny. The real issue is that nothing about it is correct scale and it was animated to be much bigger than the official height.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
If the tips of your thumbs aren't mostly scartissue at this point, you haven't been in this hobby long enough.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Warmachine posted:

What do you guys use for stripping acrylics from plastic without hurting the plastic? I dorked up some of the painting on my Zaku, and want to start from scratch on that part (especially after doing things properly on another part).

This stuff strips acrylics like no one's business and doesn't damage plastic as far as I know. I've used it myself. It's pretty awesome. Let it soak for a couple hours then come back with a toothbrush and get scrubbing.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
A coat like on that Kaempher? Yeah, definitely a lot of sanding and polishing involved. But I mean you guys have the gist of a basic candy coat if you've ever thought about changing the color of a Unicorn Psyco Frame. Base coat, metallic coat, then clear color.

My biggest problem is getting the consistency of the metallic coat right. I've had stellar results with both Tamiya acrylic chrome and that Alclad chrome, but I find that some other metallics like gold and copper will come out as a rough flakey surface if you aren't careful. It's all about getting that thinner-paint ratio right.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

everythingWasBees posted:

Speaking of favorite robots, does anybody know how the 1/144 Hildofr is? That tank alone pretty much made MS IGLOO worth it, and I was wondering if it was worth the price.

Hildofr came out under the EX line, which were more like traditional model kits in that they required cement in their construction and a ton of paint to look accurate. Unless you're prepared to go full gung-ho model kit building on it and not just snapping it together over a weekend, by all means go for it. Otherwise, pass.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Well, there's your third form.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

W.T. Fits posted:

... Cool video, but that design still just does nothing for me. :shrug:

That's fine. More Perfect Grade Unicorn for me.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

The Muffinlord posted:

That's a bit of a shame. Macross is about the only other series with enough kits to be worth exploring that I also have familiarity with. So are the 1/72 scale ones about MG-sized?

Roughly, but it's going to require more paint and decals than your average MG.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Honestly I'm most excited about the RE/100 Dijeh. Despite being Amuro's actual personal suit in Zeta Gundam, the poor beer-gut Gelgoog/Rick Dias hybrid hasn't had any love.

It really deserved a Master Grade, though. They could have even reused Rick Dias and Hyaku Shiki parts.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 20, 2014

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
We know there's going to be a separate Full Armor accessory package in the near future. I imagine any psyco frame variants will have to exclusives of some kind. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a general release Banshee, though, considering Bandai's love of recolors/remolds.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

Watching him struggle fruitlessly with that knee lock is borderline painful.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. It could just feel his frustration.

Doesn't change the fact that I still want a PG Unicorn, though. Just now I know I'm going to pop pieces off and struggle endlessly with locking mechanisms when I go to transform it. If I ever get one, of course...

Edit: This is why you get shelves or cases with glass doors, by the way.

VVVV

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BlitzBlast posted:

Sinanju by far. The Sleeves garnishing will take you forever, but the base kit is extremely solid and will actually stick together.

Meanwhile Sazabi's legs oh my god.

Serious question because I really want to get the HGUC Sazabi: But what ARE the problems with the legs?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I'm sorry, that thing has knives mounted on its head. That is the most badical thing I've ever seen. I legitimately kind of want my own knife culture Gundam now.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I've hand-painted and airbrushed with Tamiya acrylics and haven't had too many issues. You probably want to mix a little thinner in with it beforehand when handpainting, though. Airbrush you definitely have to thin.

Getting it up, though? Yeah, you're going to need something a little stronger than the thinner, but admittedly when I'd screw up and smudge a bit I'd start all over painting the whole piece. Mostly because I use the Simple Green to get it up.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 27, 2014

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Tenzarin posted:

My best spoon was done with 50/50 tamiya acrylic and future, It seems like the more thinner i use for hand brushing the more strokes i get, what gives?

Future is gloss coat, not thinner. Get a bottle of Tamiya Acrylic Thinner from either your local hobby store or online.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Ka0 posted:

I hate tamiya so much.

Is there a reason? I've never had trouble with it and it's my go-to brand since it's readily available at my local hobby store.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Oh, wow, the 1/144 Victory kits are cheap. I think I could get over the 25 year old engineering for $4 a kit. They would make for great practice fodder.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Monaghan posted:

The Nu gundam ver ka is one of the best builds I ever did but the hands are annoying as hell and pose it before you put the funnels on.

The Emotion Manipulators are the worst thing to happen to MG kits in a while. They should just take a page from their Tamashii Nations lines and use the swivel-ball joint like on the SH and Robot Spirits lines. Full range of ball joint motion, but with the stability of a good old fashioned hole and peg.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Monaghan posted:

I gotta say I really liked how the alclad chrome and clear red look on the mg sengoku astray.

Though holy poo poo is panel lining this thing going to take a while.

What kind of gloss black base coat did you use for the Alclad? I know they recommend using enamel, but I hate working with enamels especially since the only ones I can get my hands on are Testors. I think I remember someone in the thread saying they used acrylics, though.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

muike posted:

so who is gonna make the 150m gebera straight

I was going to make a joke about how it'd just be a real katana, but then I realized that at 1/100 scale, that'd still be too small.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
7000 yen before shipping seems kind of outrageous for a standard-size Master Grade, though. Not sure why Bandai felt the need to make it a Hobby Web Exclusive. I'm sure they could've done a standard release. If they're reprinting it, it obviously shows there is a demand.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Tenzarin posted:

Everything I hear about RG make them sound awful.

They're actually fantastic kits and fun to build, but every kit has its flaws or drawbacks. It just comes with the territory.

Also, I just got my Nightingale from Amazon and these pieces are massive. Some of them are so large they didn't even bother to give them a gate or runner, not even with a bit of extra plastic with a number on it. It'll be a while before I get started on it, though. Next kit is going to be another practice/experiment with a cheap old HGUC 0080 GM.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Literally the only problem I had with the RG Zaku II is that the skirt armor likes to pop off, but it's such a ridiculously easy fix I don't even really worry about it. It's a really solid kit all things considered. But, man. that Mk. II? That Mk. II is an impressive piece of engineering. You do have to cut out your own pipes and wires, though, but that was pretty easy all things considered.

Also, the only two RG's I own have no problem standing on their own. In fact, they can hold pretty decent poses. And the armor plates that slide past each other when you move the joints are so cool.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You guys in Austin need to go to the HobbyTown USA's. THAT'S where the Gunpla is at. The one on MOPAC next to the Fry's always has a great selection. There's also a place out on 183 called Wonko's Toys and Games. They'll sell Gunpla and sometimes other plamo kits, though at a decent markup. They're nice folks, though, and I always stop in while I'm in town.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
You're always going to find the best deal for kits online. That HobbyTown in Austin I go to just usually has a really nice selection of kits for relatively decent prices. Also, pretty sure they run through Bluefin considering the last kit I bought from them has a Bluefin sticker.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I generally like Katoki designs (like I said, Endless Waltz designs are my favourite in general, hence why I'm collecting all their MGs) but the decalling is just excessive. Especially on the Wing and Heavyarms.

On the subject, I know there's a weird case of a 1/100 HG (not a typo) Heavyarms Custom. If anyone has one they'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price, I'd love to take it off your hands. The cheapest I can find them is on Amazon for £70 which is way too much for a HG, 1/100 or not.

Do you live near a Barnes and Noble? They now carry some kits, but in particular I've seen the old late 90's HG Endless Waltz kits. Also your best bet for the MG Ver. Ka regular Heavy Arms, actually.

Which raises the question why they haven't released the Custom version of the MG kit yet.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
The proportions aren't bad on the HGUC, either. Looks like a decent kit to me. Might have to snag one up eventually just to paint it.

Of course, I skipped all the hassle and got my hands on a Robot Damashii Zeta Gundam. Crazy Obari-esque proportions, insane articulation, AND it can hold all of its weapons with relative ease. Helps when the handgrips are also on ball joints, I suppose.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I personally love the Stark Jegan, though admittedly I prefer the original MSV lineart as opposed to the Katoki Unicorn version. They should release that as a kit, giant-rear end missiles and all.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yasuhiro Moriki. :colbert:

Nah, Izubuchi 4 lyfe. Man gave us the mecha designs for both Char's Counterattack and 0080. The mecha design in Hathaway's Flash is superb and beautiful, don't get me wrong, but Izubuchi's designs are iconic.

Reminds me that I should start working on these 25 year old Patlabor kits I have on my pile, but incidently I have two 0080 HGUC GM kits to finish before then. And then the RE/100 Nightingale. Look, I'm a little biased okay.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Bimmi posted:

Izubuchi hands down the best, though his 0080 suits clearly hail from some alternate dimension and shoehorning them into the official continuity has never been anything but awkward.

To be fair, if you've thumbed through the MS Era artbook, you quickly realize that most of the designs in 0080 are meant to really be retcons of the classic designs as opposed to all new, completely different variations. There are some obvious actual variations like the two different GM Commandos vs the Cold Climate type (I would contend the Sniper 2 is just a Sniper Custom), but otherwise the Dom II is just a Dom, Hygogg just a Gogg, FZ Zaku just an F-type, etc.

But Bandai just had to make sure they could sell those new designs with the old so model kits and manuals made up a refit project to explain the new designs.

Zakrello and Bigro, ver. Izubuchi.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 26, 2015

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
On the other end of the spectrum, I have the GFF Ex-S. It's actually pretty solid, but like Bimmi's FA Gundam, it's really just a brick. That's just the nature of the Ex-S in general, though. The joints are actually pretty tight and everything stays on reasonably well thanks to the fact that PVC likes to stick to PVC. The only complaint I ever had about it is the crotch-attachment for the Beam Smart Rifle never sat right probably due to a molding issue.

Motherfucker's been standing tall in my collection for like a decade now. Besides that crotch-attachment issue, I've pulled him down and moved him several times and haven't had any problems. Nothing's fallen off, nothing's broken. It's kind of a miracle, really. I mean, it's the Ex-S.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

It should only have one Red Shoulder.

Though, it should really be on the right shoulder, and a deeper shade of red. Like the color of blood...

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

boom boom boom posted:

What is even going on here?

It's part of the three Zeta team from the Gundam Evolve series of shorts. They've already released the White Unicorn and Gray Zeta (which isn't gray at all!) as Web Shop Exclusives.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Azubah posted:

It gets a bit weird at the end though. It's still a fantastic series that should be watched at least once.

Actually, it's awesome all the way through and you should watch it at least five times.

Then buy the model kits.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Sharkopath posted:

How are those kits, I like how much detail they seem to have but wonder what the color separation and articulation are like.

The Bandai 1/20 ones are literally Master Grades without the MG moniker on them. Otherwise, identical color separation, parts count, articulation, etc. I can't speak for any other companies' kits, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

BlitzBlast posted:

RD X3 Full Action arrived. I'm in a rush so I don't have time to take more than quick phone picture though:

The sad part is that buying 5 RDs was still cheaper than actually getting MG X1 FC, X2, X3, and the X2 Custom conversion kit.

Or maybe the sad part is that I bought 3 RDs that are quite literally the same thing.

EDIT: Oh hey if I get the RD X1 Custom I'll have all the weapons and a spare set of thrusters to put on my corefigh- ahahahaha no.

I did that the first time they released RD Crossbones. Welcome to the club.