Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Or, how much will higher education rates go up for individuals due to increased access? Will individuals be able to more afford to live the basics of life, while resulting in an overall reduction of tax revenues, or will they live a better life while increasing everyone's profit margins and reducing the deficit and need for entitlement programs?

I don't think that higher education costs would go up at all. The people who feel like they 'need' a degree to find decent work now would not feel that need if they had a guaranteed income. Those people wouldn't go and pay more for an unnecessary education. I'd guess that there would be less demand for it, and therefore if they wanted to stay in business they'd have to either offer more value for what is currently being paid or lower prices to attract the people who only require that kind of education to advance to something that actually needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Helsing posted:

If a bunch of elderly Wal Mart greeters and single moms waiting tables suddenly withdraw their labour from the economy while simultaneously a bunch of car dealerships, construction firms, marketers and factories get new customers then do you really think the final effect on the economy will be nil?

Exactly, more money chasing a fixed basket of goods will create inflation that eats away at the minimum income. Then the government can raise taxes for a higher mincome, or kind of just let people get back to work as normal, but with essentially a prebate on income taxes.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Helsing posted:

As demand increases more idle workers are hired. Also people currently performing low productivity work may be attracted by better wages to move into higher productivity occupations. In addition to this you'll have people who can now afford to do things like hire a nanny (creating one job) and then enter the labour force (increasing hours worked). It also raises the price of labour, which puts pressure on companies to automoate, which in turn raises productivity (and thanks to the GMI job killing automation presumably won't carry the risk of sucking aggregate demand out of the middle class).

So I see no reason to assume that productivity or hours worked are guaranteed to decline, and even if they do decline there's seemingly no reason to think they'd just happen to decline the exactly right amount to eliminate any gains from increasing aggregate demand.

No doubt some of the money would end up going to places like China but roughly %70 of America's GDP is still domestic consumption, and in particular a lot of the goods and services consumed by lower income individuals are local based (i.e. lunch at the local deli, somebody to take care of your kids, etc).

Increased aggregate demand will certainly create a pull in the labor market for more production which will show up as increased wages. But whether this leads to more production or inflation depends entirely on whether it succeeds at getting more people into the workforce and/or increasing productivity.

Simultaneously every potential new employee is getting $15k from a policy that's deliberately trying to prevent some of them from feeling a need to work.

Remember that money for GMI came from someone who was also going to spend most of it. The aggregate demand increase comes from the different propensities to spend. It's not the entire GMI amount or close too it.

So yes some of what you're saying is possible, it depends on 1) how much aggregate demand increases and 2) how much less interested will people be in working.

Helsing posted:

If a bunch of elderly Wal Mart greeters and single moms waiting tables suddenly withdraw their labour from the economy while simultaneously a bunch of car dealerships, construction firms, marketers and factories get new customers then do you really think the final effect on the economy will be nil?

If you want to argue that GDP isn't an ideal tool for measuring human welfare or even economic development I'm not going to disagree with you.

I think the economic effects are nil unless those car dealerships, construction firms and factories get more workers!

archangelwar posted:

Minimum wage policy supposedly has the exact same effect of pushing out certain sections of the labor force, yet somehow increased unemployment is not a guaranteed consequence of raising minimum wage.

Additionally, you are talking about removing the most vulnerable and often least productive elements of the labor force, and offsetting it with increased consumption.

Minimum wage has never been significant. Hence it never has significant effects positive or negative.

You can't offset the removal or people from the workforce with increased consumption. Those things are actually contradictory.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MadMattH posted:

I don't think that higher education costs would go up at all. The people who feel like they 'need' a degree to find decent work now would not feel that need if they had a guaranteed income. Those people wouldn't go and pay more for an unnecessary education. I'd guess that there would be less demand for it, and therefore if they wanted to stay in business they'd have to either offer more value for what is currently being paid or lower prices to attract the people who only require that kind of education to advance to something that actually needs it.

I think you're making a mistake in assuming that education is a good with elastic demand.

Why do high school seniors, even the ones who should go to trade school instead, go to college for 4 years? I guarantee its not because of a perception of future return with increased lifelong earning potential for the vast majority of individuals at non-Ivy institutions.

Hell, we're already seeing the impact of a GMI during college enrollment in the form of student loans. Take away the repayment obligation, you'll only increase demand for a limited number of slots, for which foreign competition at higher price is already exerting upward price pressures.

And all this minimum wage chat, it completely fails to look at wages as a system. If you live in a state with the bare Federal minimum and border a world-class municipality with a $15/hr wage, you're incentivizing urban blight amongst the working classes unable to afford to cross state borders to take advantage of city pay with residential administrated poverty. It provides perverse incentives unless properly enacted on a regional, multi-jurisdictional level.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 3, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
Woah woah woah, giving people enough money to survive comfortably?

"I'm going to need a comprehensive impact report before I sign up for this" said the rear end in a top hat

GDP is irrelevant while children go hungry in America, hth

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

Woah woah woah, giving people enough money to survive comfortably?

"I'm going to need a comprehensive impact report before I sign up for this" said the rear end in a top hat

"I could draft a serious policy brief with a moderate chance for implementation," said the rear end in a top hat who knows his audience and their concerns.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

My Imaginary GF posted:

"I could draft a serious policy brief with a moderate chance for implementation," said the rear end in a top hat who knows his audience and their concerns.

That's not really the purpose of Something Awful and the serious policy briefs already exist, they have zero chance for implementation because neither of the parties have any interest. Did you even see the minimum wage debate?

Will we need a basic income in the future?

The only answer is "we need one now" and unless you're offering another method to start curbing economic inequality then you can gently caress right off.

Tax the rich. Give it to the poor. It's not hard.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Here's an image to help those who can't figure it out

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

As was already said, we need one now. But even that is only part of a solution, as it simply creates a basic income underclass, and an ultra rich overclass. It does little to fix social mobility.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

As was already said, we need one now. But even that is only part of a solution, as it simply creates a basic income underclass, and an ultra rich overclass. It does little to fix social mobility.

Ensuring that basic needs are met for everyone no matter what is actually excellent for social mobility.

http://www.bignam.org/Publications/BIG_Assessment_report_08a.pdf

quote:

As noted above, we found several examples of new economic activities linked to the BIG. Most notable were several new small business activities that emerged, including retailing, brick-making and the manufacture of clothing. Thus the BIG was not spent only on immediate consumption needs but also provided a basis for income-generating activity. This is supported by the following remarks from residents of Otjivero:

“Since we get the BIG I bought materials and I am making three dresses that I sell for N$ 150” (Emilia Garises).

“I started my business of making ice lollies right after the BIG started.... The demand for ice lollies is big because I make the biggest ice lollies in the settlement. I sell one ice lolly for 50 cents and I make 50 a day... With the BIG, people have money to spend, that is why I make the ice lollies” (Belinda Beukes).

“After the introduction of the BIG I started my business. I bake traditional bread every day. I bake 100 rolls per day and sell each for one dollar... I make a profit of about N$400 per month. My business is good and I believe that it will grow. The only problem that I have is the lack of fire wood. It is often hard to get wood. But
I made an application for additional help to the government in order to expand my business” (Frieda Nembwaya – her house is shown on the outside cover of this book).

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think you're making a mistake in assuming that education is a good with elastic demand.

Why do high school seniors, even the ones who should go to trade school instead, go to college for 4 years? I guarantee its not because of a perception of future return with increased lifelong earning potential for the vast majority of individuals at non-Ivy institutions.

Hell, we're already seeing the impact of a GMI during college enrollment in the form of student loans. Take away the repayment obligation, you'll only increase demand for a limited number of slots, for which foreign competition at higher price is already exerting upward price pressures.

And all this minimum wage chat, it completely fails to look at wages as a system. If you live in a state with the bare Federal minimum and border a world-class municipality with a $15/hr wage, you're incentivizing urban blight amongst the working classes unable to afford to cross state borders to take advantage of city pay with residential administrated poverty. It provides perverse incentives unless properly enacted on a regional, multi-jurisdictional level.

It's not elastic in the current environment, it's a false 'requirement'. It's not the perception of future return (meaning that they aren't looking at the amount they will make), it's instilled in kids these days that a college degree is a requirement for any kind of decent job beyond a minimum wage. They get told "If you don't want to work at McDonald's your whole life go to college." It's not that the jobs themselves have changed in difficulty therefore requiring a degree, it's that the competition for jobs has increased. There's a reason that diploma mills exist and it isn't to educate. The competition for the lower end jobs that 'require' degrees would end. If there were a guaranteed income, having to get a diploma from a university to get a job as a secretary would disappear. There would be no reason to get 'a degree' just to make a basic living. It's not the higher tier jobs that actually need a degree that would be affected.
The student loans wouldn't be an issue at all if marginal income students and people who really don't need a degree didn't enroll in the first place. There would be no pressure to enroll in higher education for people who can't pay for it since they wouldn't have to have the degree to get a job with which to pay student loans, etc. The only people who would bother with college would be the ones who really wanted to, the ones that really need a degree to actually do their jobs.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

MadMattH posted:

It's not elastic in the current environment, it's a false 'requirement'. It's not the perception of future return (meaning that they aren't looking at the amount they will make), it's instilled in kids these days that a college degree is a requirement for any kind of decent job beyond a minimum wage. They get told "If you don't want to work at McDonald's your whole life go to college." It's not that the jobs themselves have changed in difficulty therefore requiring a degree, it's that the competition for jobs has increased. There's a reason that diploma mills exist and it isn't to educate. The competition for the lower end jobs that 'require' degrees would end. If there were a guaranteed income, having to get a diploma from a university to get a job as a secretary would disappear. There would be no reason to get 'a degree' just to make a basic living. It's not the higher tier jobs that actually need a degree that would be affected.
The student loans wouldn't be an issue at all if marginal income students and people who really don't need a degree didn't enroll in the first place. There would be no pressure to enroll in higher education for people who can't pay for it since they wouldn't have to have the degree to get a job with which to pay student loans, etc. The only people who would bother with college would be the ones who really wanted to, the ones that really need a degree to actually do their jobs.

But the phenomenon you're talking about doesn't really exist in the first place. A quick glance at AA jobs on my local Craigslist found exactly one with "degree preferred," and none that were required. Even in more technical fields like software development a degree isn't really required if you have enough experience. And the reason jobs aren't requiring it is because there isn't the supply that would be needed:

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

You can't offset the removal or people from the workforce with increased consumption. Those things are actually contradictory.

This is both factually incorrect as well as being somewhat irrelevant. If you are going to continue to make unsupported "just so" claims on top of being intentionally obtuse, I don't really see anything productive from responding to you. You are completely mischaracterizing even the simplistic Econ 101 arguments, much less the deeper macro discussions that move beyond.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

archangelwar posted:

This is both factually incorrect as well as being somewhat irrelevant. If you are going to continue to make unsupported "just so" claims on top of being intentionally obtuse, I don't really see anything productive from responding to you. You are completely mischaracterizing even the simplistic Econ 101 arguments, much less the deeper macro discussions that move beyond.

How is it incorrect? Cutting the workforce obviously won't increase production, and if consumption is expected to rise, it's likely that the increased consumption will come at the cost of net exports.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

But the phenomenon you're talking about doesn't really exist in the first place. A quick glance at AA jobs on my local Craigslist found exactly one with "degree preferred," and none that were required. Even in more technical fields like software development a degree isn't really required if you have enough experience. And the reason jobs aren't requiring it is because there isn't the supply that would be needed:

That's why I put 'require' in quotes. It might not be listed as a requirement, but there are going to be more people competing for that same job that actually do have degrees.

Your graph says that the percentage of people that get a college degree now (as of 2009)is about the same percentage of people who in 1940 had even graduated high school in the over 25 bracket. It does not say that they currently actually need those degrees to do their jobs, it says that they have them. If more people are getting degrees then there are more people with degrees in the market for jobs. The graph says that the current supply of degree holders is about 6 times higher than in 1940 as a percentage, but it doesn't say anything about actual need.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

on the left posted:

How is it incorrect? Cutting the workforce obviously won't increase production, and if consumption is expected to rise, it's likely that the increased consumption will come at the cost of net exports.

Just because a segment of the population voluntarily leaves the workforce does not mean that there is a permanent cut in the workforce, given that we currently have un/underemployment in other labor cohorts, nor does it necessarily mean an overall reduction in production since the displaced cohort currently holds one of the least productive positions.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Yeah, they're incorrect without understanding of modern social pressures in America. You don't go to college for education; study after study has shown that the value of higher education lies within the network which an individual creates.

You fuckn go to school to get drunk, have great times, and learn to operate within a formalized structured environment. Degrees are worthless relative to work experience; the network you create while attaining you degree cannot be valued in pure dollar amounts due to the amount of human development which are you forced to undergo within the confines of a loosely structured environment.

So, GMI would increase the cost of education and worsen the student loan crisis for new students. For current and former students, it would reduce the burden of their educational development.

Now why I wade into GMI is because of some considerations outside of America. I know a guy who's extended family owns a developing nation, and the country is set for an energy development windfall. The questions for policy development are how to use that windfall to transition individuals into the formal economy while also promoting gender equality and strengthening existing institutional structures so that higher ed doesn't become even more of an elite thing than it is.

Its a serious issue on which I can have somewhat of a voice because people are lazy and they'd rather pay you to do the heavy lifting for them while they get to take the credit.

E:

on the left posted:

The reply to this, with amoral implications, is that it matters the method and system through which the workforce is cut. Letting them go without a second thought has lower productivity gains than cutting an appropriately unproductive portion of your workforce.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

archangelwar posted:

Just because a segment of the population voluntarily leaves the workforce does not mean that there is a permanent cut in the workforce, given that we currently have un/underemployment in other labor cohorts, nor does it necessarily mean an overall reduction in production since the displaced cohort currently holds one of the least productive positions.

I didn't say production would drop, but there's no real reason why production would rise. If you predict increased consumption without corresponding increased production, there's one easy place it can originate: a decrease in net exports.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

on the left posted:

I didn't say production would drop, but there's no real reason why production would rise. If you predict increased consumption without corresponding increased production, there's one easy place it can originate: a decrease in net exports.

Why are we assuming no increased production?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

archangelwar posted:

Why are we assuming no increased production?

What evidence do you have that large amounts of people dropping out of the workforce would increase productivity?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

on the left posted:

What evidence do you have that large amounts of people dropping out of the workforce would increase productivity?

Well first of all, we are talking about increased consumption, so I am not sure why you think I am tying increased production as a function of reduction of the workforce. Second, you are once again assuming overall reduction of productive labor, which is yet again a point of contention. Third, you have now introduced the scare words "large amounts" as if not only the previous point were settled, but you have fundamentally changed the argument into a total strawman.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

Depends upon the field. I'm sure it would decrease productivity in those fields that become less cost-competitive due to GMI. How are you measuring productivity, in what sector, and what would the impact of GMI be upon demand in that sector?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

archangelwar posted:

Well first of all, we are talking about increased consumption, so I am not sure why you think I am tying increased production as a function of reduction of the workforce. Second, you are once again assuming overall reduction of productive labor, which is yet again a point of contention. Third, you have now introduced the scare words "large amounts" as if not only the previous point were settled, but you have fundamentally changed the argument into a total strawman.

The whole point of a mincome is to drastically cut the workforce, so it makes sense to point out the effects of doing that. If your argument is that a mincome will change very little, then what's the point of enacting one?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

on the left posted:

The whole point of a mincome is to drastically cut the workforce, so it makes sense to point out the effects of doing that. If your argument is that a mincome will change very little, then what's the point of enacting one?

It's not though, it's to provide everyone with a basic level of sustenance. One of the big changes caused by the basic income study I linked earlier was that self-employment income went up as people didn't have to worry about starving if starting a business didn't work out.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

on the left posted:

The whole point of a mincome is to drastically cut the workforce

Wait, what? No it isn't, although that is a potential side effect under certain conditions, such as post-scarcity. I don't think anyone is arguing that we are there yet.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

The whole point of a mincome is to drastically cut the workforce, so it makes sense to point out the effects of doing that.

Ok, you try messaging that and see how it works.

On the left is proposing to create a nation of welfare queens. Vote Right to eliminate minimum wage.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

It's not though, it's to provide everyone with a basic level of sustenance. One of the big changes caused by the basic income study I linked earlier was that self-employment income went up as people didn't have to worry about starving if starting a business didn't work out.

It works better when you phrase it as, "The one piece of legislation that eliminates entitlements and gets rid of Obamacare that they don't want you to know about!" Now sell it to your business donors within the confines of that phrasing.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 3, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

If this is the goal, why not just expand the food stamps program and make getting section 8 housing easier? Then we don't need to worry about the financial difficulty of mailing everyone 15k a year. Expanding the welfare system in general is much cheaper and more effective than a mincome at achieving those goals.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

If this is the goal, why not just expand the food stamps program and make getting section 8 housing easier? Then we don't need to worry about the financial difficulty of mailing everyone 15k a year.

Because then your opponents in the primary and general will say YOUSE A friend of the family LOVIN DEMONCRAT bad things about you.

Your posts come across as if you have no understanding of the considerations you make as an elected representative. Go work for a few campaign cycles and learn rapidly the answer to your question.

The entire sell of a minimum income is that it eliminates entitlement eligibility. That's why its starting to gain some traction in the thinktank crowd, and that reason alone.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 3, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Somehow I have a feeling that expanding welfare is a lot easier than getting the government to sign off on yearly checks to every citizen. The 14th amendment guarantees that any mincome would be quickly broken by birth tourism.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

Somehow I have a feeling that expanding welfare is a lot easier than getting the government to sign off on yearly checks to every citizen. The 14th amendment guarantees that any mincome would be quickly broken by birth tourism.

So attach eligibility to selective service registration. Make it a national security priority.

And no, no, expanding welfare is not easier than anything. gently caress, getting any checks signed by the government is likely to require very significant entitlement cuts soon.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Food is already heavily subsidized, I don't know how people can expect it to get much lower.

Grow vegetables in the United States on federal land by federal farms paying federal wages and we'd send the $2 red bell pepper into the annals of history.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

:911::supaburn: Anchor babies! :supaburn::freep:

How would this hurt the system? Babies don't get mincome their parents aren't going to receive it for their loving tourist visa. Presumably expats aren't going to be getting it either, so what are they going to pop out a kid in New Jersey, leave him at the orphanage, and fly home?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 3, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

:911::supaburn: Anchor babies! :supaburn::freep:

How would this hurt the system? Babies don't get mincome their parents aren't going to receive it for their loving tourist visa. Presumably expats aren't going to be getting it either, so what are they going to pop out a kid in New Jersey, leave him at the orphanage, and fly home?

Why wouldn't expats get mincome if it were truly for everyone with no real restrictions?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

asdf32 posted:

Increased aggregate demand will certainly create a pull in the labor market for more production which will show up as increased wages. But whether this leads to more production or inflation depends entirely on whether it succeeds at getting more people into the workforce and/or increasing productivity.

Simultaneously every potential new employee is getting $15k from a policy that's deliberately trying to prevent some of them from feeling a need to work.

Remember that money for GMI came from someone who was also going to spend most of it. The aggregate demand increase comes from the different propensities to spend. It's not the entire GMI amount or close too it.

So yes some of what you're saying is possible, it depends on 1) how much aggregate demand increases and 2) how much less interested will people be in working.

In the world we actually live in, where deflation is a real risk and inflation is not, where lack of purchasing power is depressing demand, and where millions of people in supposedly first world countries are struggling to feed, cloth and house themselves and their families, I think it's pretty safe to say that a minimum income would be a good thing.

In some alternative universe where the 1970s ended totally differently maybe a minimum income would be a bad policy. Maybe in that universe inequality has been decreasing steadily since World War II, and the big problem is rampant inflation and a massive labour shortage caused by overly generous government programs and confiscatory tax rates. It's a world where people whisper in hushed tones "who is John Galt?"

Ultimately though, we're living on planet Earth. If you want to argue against a minimum income then rather than framing it in such an abstract way you should actually clarify whether you think a minimum income is likely to create problems and why. It's one thing to suggest that in some possible world the mincom could conceivably create issues but I think what people care about is the possibility / probability that such issues would arise if we actually implemented the mincom now or in the foreseeable future.

quote:

I think the economic effects are nil unless those car dealerships, construction firms and factories get more workers!

Good thing there's a huge labour surplus then.

on the left posted:

:staredog:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

Why wouldn't expats get mincome if it were truly for everyone with no real restrictions?

No income restrictions. Presumably we'd require residency. You're arguing against something no one has proposed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

No income restrictions. Presumably we'd require residency. You're arguing against something no one has proposed.

Ok, so lets have a grounded proposal from everything discussed so far

MinIncome:

-Qualify to receive when you register for selective service

-Must elect to receive by filing appropriate forms

-Distributed on a bi-monthly basis via direct deposit

-Can only be distributed to individuals with permanent residences in USA who have established said permanent residence for no less than one year

-Counts as income for IRS purposes, taxes/SS automatically deducted?

-Set at a level which disqualifies individuals from all entitlement programs (19k? 19.5k? 40k?)

-Eliminates ObamaCare

Any other parts or component proposals to add to this?

Yeah. I just don't know whether they're a naive child or ideologue.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

It's pretty easy to switch your tax residency to the US. It's much harder to establish a tax residency outside of the US. Just rent a mailbox in the US and say you are traveling on an extended basis.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah. I just don't know whether they're a naive child or ideologue.

Birth tourism is a real thing that has taken off in recent times because customs has been ordered to stop asking pregnant mothers about it. It would probably be much bigger if US citizenship was worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in direct cash benefits.

on the left fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 3, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

It's pretty easy to switch your tax residency to the US. It's much harder to establish a tax residency outside of the US. Just rent a mailbox in the US and say you are traveling on an extended basis.

Just to be clear, you're worried about 3-day-old infants doing this?

quote:

Birth tourism is a real thing that has taken off in recent times because customs has been ordered to stop asking pregnant mothers about it. It would probably be much bigger if US citizenship was worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in direct cash benefits.

Help someone, the freep:freep: is coming from inside SA :ohdear:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

Just to be clear, you're worried about 3-day-old infants doing this?

Their parents will absolutely do it, there is a large industry that organizes this sorts of thing.

VitalSigns posted:

Help someone, the freep:freep: is coming from inside SA :ohdear:

I know couples who have done this, mainly to save on university costs in the future. It only costs about 15k to pay people to arrange all of the details for you, which includes birthing costs. They established state residency for their kid in the state they wanted their kid to go to school (California, lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

I know couples who have done this, mainly to save on university costs in the future.

Oh God it's getting worse :cry:

• Locked thread