Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
The horrors, an army of educated immigrants hell bent on using our goddamn schools? For learning? What a bunch of assholes.

Immigration isn't a problem. Spoiler alert, asdf32 and on the left troll this thread to oblivion because they are unwilling to accept that economic inequality is an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

fwd: fwd: fwd: fwd: fwd: Hussein Obama is taking your guns and giving them to anchor babies!!!!1!!!1

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

down with slavery posted:

Immigration isn't a problem. Spoiler alert, asdf32 and on the left troll this thread to oblivion because they are unwilling to accept that economic inequality is an issue.

Unrestricted immigration is a problem if each immigrant represents a guaranteed cash liability to the tune of a million dollars.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

on the left posted:

Unrestricted immigration is a problem if each immigrant represents a guaranteed cash liability to the tune of a million dollars.

Nope, even if you sneak in the word unrestricted. It's like you're incapable of posting an honest argument. Go back to freep.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Nope, even if you sneak in the word unrestricted. It's like you're incapable of posting an honest argument. Go back to freep.

Yes, if anyone can come and have a baby that will have full rights, then yes, it's unrestricted.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

on the left posted:

Yes, if anyone can come and have a baby that will have full rights, then yes, it's unrestricted.

No, that's actually not what unrestricted immigration means. Try again, less retarded this time.

Props on avoiding addressing economic inequality, real shocker.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Since they don't get the basic income unless they're residents, it's no different from giving it to a "native."

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Since they don't get the basic income unless they're residents, it's no different from giving it to a "native."

The cool thing about the US is that there's no exit stamp on your passport.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

on the left posted:

The cool thing about the US is that there's no exit stamp on your passport.

No, I'm sorry, expats like yourself who are trying to avoid paying their fair share back to society won't be receiving the mincome.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Citizens registered for selective service. Those chinese 'anchor-babies'? Pretty drat sure their card will be rejected and they won't have access to in-state tuition subsidies.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

No, I'm sorry, expats like yourself who are trying to avoid paying their fair share back to society won't be receiving the mincome.

If expats are responsible for paying taxes, why shouldn't they also be able to receive mincome?

My Imaginary GF posted:

Citizens registered for selective service. Those chinese 'anchor-babies'? Pretty drat sure their card will be rejected and they won't have access to in-state tuition subsidies.

Why wouldn't Chinese people be able to register for selective service?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

on the left posted:

If expats are responsible for paying taxes, why shouldn't they also be able to receive mincome?

Because it's the law, this thread isn't about your personal crusade to get out of paying taxes

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 3, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

Why wouldn't Chinese people be able to register for selective service?

"Why wouldn't a foreign national, raised and indoctrinated overseas outside of established and respected American institutions, by two culturally non-American and non-western individuals, be able to register for selective service and have their registration accepted?"

Because they pose a security threat and, as citizens, have failed to file the appropriate tax documents for the preceding 18 years of their life.

E:

Because it's the law, this thread isn't about your personal crusade to get out of paying taxes

Let me be clear: American domestic policy should not take into primary consideration anything except the well-beimg of domestic Americans.

gently caress expat tax dodgers. Pay your loving taxes or burn your passport and renounce your citizenship. Don't be a gently caress'n hypocritical rear end in a top hat. Expats don't count for minimim guaranteed income because the policy is designed to boost domestic consumption, not your ability to purchase melamine-laced milk and ground tiger dick.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 3, 2014

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

We already have a social security processing center in Manila because many retired Americans live in South East Asia for....reasons. Why not leverage our existing infrastructure for providing services for Americans overseas?

My Imaginary GF posted:

"Why wouldn't a foreign national, raised and indoctrinated overseas outside of established and respected American institutions, by two culturally non-American and non-western individuals, be able to register for selective service and have their registration accepted?"

Because they pose a security threat and, as citizens, have failed to file the appropriate tax documents for the preceding 18 years of their life.

I'm not entirely convinced you know what registering for selective service even is.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

on the left posted:

We already have a social security processing center in Manila because many retired Americans live in South East Asia for....reasons. Why not leverage our existing infrastructure for providing services for Americans overseas?

Because I don't give a gently caress about Americans who have expatriated getting the mincome? How did you get to be so dumb?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Because I don't give a gently caress about Americans who have expatriated getting the mincome?

Hmmm, if a lot of different groups don't care about certain minorities getting mincome, it would seem like that would sabotage any plans to actually implement mincome. I guess it's all for the best because then we don't have to argue about whether its racist to exclude people without IDs or documentation from getting mincome.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Because I don't give a gently caress about Americans who have expatriated getting the mincome?

One important thing to point out, Manilla is considered American territory by American officials and has been since TR. It may be under local management, yes, so is Puerto Rico. Its still under American sovereignity, so Manilla, in addition to the Panama Canal Zone, are a bit of exceptions when Americans want to live there.

E:

on the left posted:

Hmmm, if a lot of different groups don't care about certain minorities getting mincome, it would seem like that would sabotage any plans to actually implement mincome. I guess it's all for the best because then we don't have to argue about whether its racist to exclude people without IDs or documentation from getting mincome.

America: Love it or leave it. You chose to leave it. Now go petition your new government for minimum income.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

One important thing to point out, Manilla is considered American territory by American officials and has been since TR. It may be under local management, yes, so is Puerto Rico. Its still under American sovereignity, so Manilla, in addition to the Panama Canal Zone, are a bit of exceptions when Americans want to live there.

Source on this? We've had military bases there and own land, but it's nothing like Puerto Rico.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

on the left posted:

It's like a golden fountain of stupidity.

Mincome is for residents of the US. Wow, that's a hard pill to swallow, better play the race card asap.

Expatriates aren't a minority you loving moron.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

It's like a golden fountain of stupidity.

Mincome is for residents of the US. Wow, that's a hard pill to swallow, better play the race card asap.

Expatriates aren't a minority you loving moron.

You don't need to melt down, don't you understand the definition of minority?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

on the left posted:

You don't need to melt down, don't you understand the definition of minority?

Ahh yes, a tone argument. Quite the cherry on top of your idiocy.

As a minority, you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to equate expatriates with a race.

Have a wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_group

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

As a minority, you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to equate expatriates with a race.

Minority isn't restricted to race. Many people use it to refer to groups that make up less than 50% of the population.

Also lol at "tone argument" after making personal attacks at me using harsh language.

Realtalk: do you literally shake when the congressional minority leader is mentioned on TV?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

on the left posted:

Minority isn't restricted to race. Many people use it to refer to groups that make up less than 50% of the population.

Also lol at "tone argument" after making personal attacks at me using harsh language.

Tone argument is because you're talking about my tone instead of the content of my posts. The personal attacks are warranted, you've been posting this stupid poo poo for years.

Minority has a meaning and the "well it's less than 50%" card is just an ignorant thing to say, and like I said, as an actual minority, you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to play that card.

on the left posted:

Realtalk: do you literally shake when the congressional minority leader is mentioned on TV?

Context, what is it?

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 3, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

:cry: You have insulted the expatriate people. They would do somethimg about it, except that they're too busy chasing tail in foreign lands from desperate peasants looking to GTFO.

Any chance we can get back to the substantive discussion at hand? Even if a mincome individual chose to travel the globe for a year, to create a politically feasable program you can't automatically include ever tax dodger as eligible.

Remember, the purpose of minimum income is to achieve entitlement reform by making them redundant.

E:

I have an old union card. Am I a minority?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

:cry: You have insulted the expatriate people. They would do somethimg about it, except that they're too busy chasing tail in foreign lands from desperate peasants looking to GTFO.

Any chance we can get back to the substantive discussion at hand? Even if a mincome individual chose to travel the globe for a year, to create a politically feasable program you can't automatically include ever tax dodger as eligible.

Remember, the purpose of minimum income is to achieve entitlement reform by making them redundant.

Currently, the largest form of entitlement spending (social security) is open to expatriates. If you want to eliminate social security in favor of mincome, you have to allow it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

on the left posted:

Currently, the largest form of entitlement spending (social security) is open to expatriates. If you want to eliminate social security in favor of mincome, you have to allow it.

There's no reason to eliminate social security, all the money we need for the mincome is right here:

Sucks when the answer is that simple, eh?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

Nah. How about America institutes minimum guaranteed income with the conditions I highlighted above and eliminates social security?

Now there's a compromise that has potential for bi-partisan support!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

There's no reason to eliminate social security, all the money we need for the mincome is right here:

Sucks when the answer is that simple, eh?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Irrelevant chart for 400, Alex

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

So this means the answer to higher GDP is to increase taxes?!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

archangelwar posted:

So this means the answer to higher GDP is to increase taxes?!

the answer to higher GDP is to have taxes within a goldilox zone; either you increase them on net and you face reduced rates of inflation or you reduce them and face inflation. Of course, since the dollar became the globally accepted currency, normal inflational trends do not apply; there is a strong and unmet demand for the dollar throughout the world, exerting a deflationary pressure on American debt.

We should be using this foreign demand to fulfill domestic supply. Like with oil.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I honestly didn't think this was possible until a few minutes ago. I used Australian Statistics because it was easy to find and navigate. None of it is exactly accurate, but it should be good as a guide.

I'm using $18000 as an example of the basic wage.

First, I worked out how much money was brought in every week overall. Using September's employment data and the [url=http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6302.0/] weekly wage, minus 18000 as $16.864 weekly. After that I worked out the adult population. Well to be exact I worked out the children in Australia to be 5081896. Australia's population is 23 million.

To pay every adult in Australia a basic income is $6 349 707 754.60 weekly, or $330.18 billion yearly. Our budget puts aside $140.52 billion already. I dunno what is important in it so there might be programs that can't be cut.

I personally disagree with a basic minimum wage, but I do believe it could be done.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
I really hope a country tries it. A complete, closed loop, long-term attempt will be a glorious trainwreck.

A "small" basic income will result in prices for everything rising (partially to cover the additional expenses introduced by all upstream suppliers, partially because the customer can now pay more so why not) to the point where inflation will destroy any gains.

A "big" basic income will result in huge taxes, and will make it increasingly attractive to say "screw it, why should I work hard and be massively taxed for it when Bob does nothing all day and survives quite well". Hello ever-increasing pool of parasites long-term unemployed.

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp

My Lil Parachute posted:

I really hope a country tries it. A complete, closed loop, long-term attempt will be a glorious trainwreck.

A "small" basic income will result in prices for everything rising (partially to cover the additional expenses introduced by all upstream suppliers, partially because the customer can now pay more so why not) to the point where inflation will destroy any gains.

A "big" basic income will result in huge taxes, and will make it increasingly attractive to say "screw it, why should I work hard and be massively taxed for it when Bob does nothing all day and survives quite well". Hello ever-increasing pool of parasites long-term unemployed.

Thank you, Fatstrodamus. What are this week's lottery numbers?

Anyone who refers to other people as parasites should, in my opinion, be completely discounted as being not serious about anything but smelling their own farts.

It's already been tried and it helped prop up capitalism just as much as any other incremental reform has.

Arri fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 3, 2014

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
You sell Hot Dogs. The Government gives you an extra $30 a day, then ups your Taxes by $40 a day. Your suppliers all raise their prices (because they are getting taxed more and their suppliers are charging more). At the same time, your customers now have extra money and can therefore afford to pay more for hot dogs.

Do you 1) raise your prices like everyone else, 2) lose money, or 3) say "screw it, working is for chumps" and quit. Be honest.

e: no - it has never been tried in a long-term, closed-loop system. Most people won't quit work when they know the trial is going to end and they will eventually have to explain the big gap on their resume.

My Lil Parachute fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 3, 2014

Arri
Jun 11, 2005
NpNp
So you think the economy works the way your Conservative voting nana's email fwds claim.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
So humor me. What exactly is wrong with my scenario?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

My Lil Parachute posted:

So humor me. What exactly is wrong with my scenario?

What isn't?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My Lil Parachute posted:

This isn't how you play "Freep or Stormfront".

Eh fine, um Freep I guess. Stormfront wouldn't mince words when it comes to identifying Those People who are lazy long-term unemployed parasites upon the body of the people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
tbh I was actually picturing a fat lazy white guy (hence the name 'Bob') but I guess any issue can be a racial issue if you look hard enough.

• Locked thread