Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the only problem is you multiply the US population by a very modest basic income like $15,000/year and the figure you get is whooooops.

I mean it's not impossible but with basic income and the current federal tax revenue (alone! not counting state revenues) you'd have to collect about 50% of US GDP in taxes. So... that's not going to happen.

I'd like to see your numbers on this. Last time I saw numbers it wasn't all that far out there, though we would need to impose fairly high tax rates on the top percentages of income.

Plus, remember that there would, at least ideally, be significant administrative savings as the various costs in determining eligibility went away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ComradeCosmobot posted:

And don't forget what the knock-on inflationary effects will be when rentiers know that who they are renting to is guaranteed to have $15k a year coming to them.

Now granted, inflationary effects have always tended to be less than the direct impacts (see also: minimum wage hikes) but they will exist in an unknown amount.

My *guess* is that this would be outweighted by the stimulatory effects as low income people started paying more.

I'm honestly surprised nobody has written up a solid policy analysis on this topic. I feel like I've read one but can't remember enough to google it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
So did anyone ever find a professional cost analysis / white paper / working paper for a proposed GMI in America, or are we still just circlejerking and throwing numbers up into the air and pretending it's a debate?

Don't get me wrong I support the concept but in order to sell it we need a professional analysis that says it's feasible and gives hard numbers as to exactly what kind of taxes it would require.

• Locked thread