Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

If everyone has lost their jobs to machines who will buy the crap machines produce? Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Paradoxish posted:

What you're really talking about here is labor participation, and in that sense we've already got around 40% of the working age population who are unemployed. The actual unemployment rate only looks at people who are actually looking for work. Labor force participation rose pretty steadily as women started working, and it's falling again since there aren't actually enough jobs to support full labor participation.

And more people retiring.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

As was already said, we need one now. But even that is only part of a solution, as it simply creates a basic income underclass, and an ultra rich overclass. It does little to fix social mobility.

Ensuring that basic needs are met for everyone no matter what is actually excellent for social mobility.

http://www.bignam.org/Publications/BIG_Assessment_report_08a.pdf

quote:

As noted above, we found several examples of new economic activities linked to the BIG. Most notable were several new small business activities that emerged, including retailing, brick-making and the manufacture of clothing. Thus the BIG was not spent only on immediate consumption needs but also provided a basis for income-generating activity. This is supported by the following remarks from residents of Otjivero:

“Since we get the BIG I bought materials and I am making three dresses that I sell for N$ 150” (Emilia Garises).

“I started my business of making ice lollies right after the BIG started.... The demand for ice lollies is big because I make the biggest ice lollies in the settlement. I sell one ice lolly for 50 cents and I make 50 a day... With the BIG, people have money to spend, that is why I make the ice lollies” (Belinda Beukes).

“After the introduction of the BIG I started my business. I bake traditional bread every day. I bake 100 rolls per day and sell each for one dollar... I make a profit of about N$400 per month. My business is good and I believe that it will grow. The only problem that I have is the lack of fire wood. It is often hard to get wood. But
I made an application for additional help to the government in order to expand my business” (Frieda Nembwaya – her house is shown on the outside cover of this book).

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

MadMattH posted:

It's not elastic in the current environment, it's a false 'requirement'. It's not the perception of future return (meaning that they aren't looking at the amount they will make), it's instilled in kids these days that a college degree is a requirement for any kind of decent job beyond a minimum wage. They get told "If you don't want to work at McDonald's your whole life go to college." It's not that the jobs themselves have changed in difficulty therefore requiring a degree, it's that the competition for jobs has increased. There's a reason that diploma mills exist and it isn't to educate. The competition for the lower end jobs that 'require' degrees would end. If there were a guaranteed income, having to get a diploma from a university to get a job as a secretary would disappear. There would be no reason to get 'a degree' just to make a basic living. It's not the higher tier jobs that actually need a degree that would be affected.
The student loans wouldn't be an issue at all if marginal income students and people who really don't need a degree didn't enroll in the first place. There would be no pressure to enroll in higher education for people who can't pay for it since they wouldn't have to have the degree to get a job with which to pay student loans, etc. The only people who would bother with college would be the ones who really wanted to, the ones that really need a degree to actually do their jobs.

But the phenomenon you're talking about doesn't really exist in the first place. A quick glance at AA jobs on my local Craigslist found exactly one with "degree preferred," and none that were required. Even in more technical fields like software development a degree isn't really required if you have enough experience. And the reason jobs aren't requiring it is because there isn't the supply that would be needed:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

on the left posted:

The whole point of a mincome is to drastically cut the workforce, so it makes sense to point out the effects of doing that. If your argument is that a mincome will change very little, then what's the point of enacting one?

It's not though, it's to provide everyone with a basic level of sustenance. One of the big changes caused by the basic income study I linked earlier was that self-employment income went up as people didn't have to worry about starving if starting a business didn't work out.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Since they don't get the basic income unless they're residents, it's no different from giving it to a "native."

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

My Lil Parachute posted:

I really hope a country tries it. A complete, closed loop, long-term attempt will be a glorious trainwreck.

A "small" basic income will result in prices for everything rising (partially to cover the additional expenses introduced by all upstream suppliers, partially because the customer can now pay more so why not) to the point where inflation will destroy any gains.

A "big" basic income will result in huge taxes, and will make it increasingly attractive to say "screw it, why should I work hard and be massively taxed for it when Bob does nothing all day and survives quite well". Hello ever-increasing pool of parasites long-term unemployed.

It's actually been tried and worked quite well. I hope this helps.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Anyway no, price increases can't cancel out any gains because of basic economics. The reason is that if prices increase to the point where the burden on poor people is the same, the burden on relatively richer people will be higher because the basic income is a lower proportion of their income. That means lower demand, and inevitably lower prices. It's the same reason why minimum wage increases are effective.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

What countries can you move to if you aren't able to afford good healthcare here?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

down with slavery posted:

Property doesn't mean what you think it does

Just because property tax has been horrifically underutilized (generally we really only tax land/buildings) is just another mistake in our tax system. You should pay property tax on your bank accounts, assets, etc.

What is the property tax rate that the ultra-rich would have to pay on their investments?

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

down with slavery posted:

When? I don't think you grasp just how large the wealth held by the 1% is.

When the bottom 20% has 10% of the wealth we can talk about how we can't afford to keep actively redistributing wealth (on top of restoring income tax rates, which should be done as well).

But most of the 100-whatever trillion held by the wealthy is businesses. Liquidating that is going to cause lots of problems very quickly.

Redistributing it to the employees would work better but that's a completely different policy :getin:

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you have it done directly through treasury, how?

I guess causing massive inflation is one way of not increasing the deficit.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, when the current issue is consumption held down by debt service obligations, yes, increased rates of inflation do induce additional demand and promote economic growth.

A single year of it would exceed the current M1 and would match all bond purchases done during all the rounds of QE. So unless there's real data it seems very high.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

TwoQuestions posted:

To the majority of people in America, any kind of aid to the poor is morally atrocious.

[citation needed]

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

A 50% marginal tax on poor people is pretty awful actually.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

Ardennes posted:

In this case it is a reduction in benefits which is a pretty different, you could always scale it but ultimately it a budgetary sense you need to most likely means test at some point.

It's the same result: a $1 income increase results in a $0.50 loss to the government.

quote:

If you have limited resources, a hypothetical example does it make sense to have a 8k GMI for those making 0 but those making 20k a year get 28k in total or have a 13k GMI but those making 20k only get 23k in total?

Depends. Without hard data it's impossible to answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Choose KDE!

enraged_camel posted:

Again this assumes that the cost of most if not all goods will not rise to compensate for the increased income, in which case demand will go back to its original level.

That's because we know how economics works.

• Locked thread