Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
The trouble with any kind if income security is the firm belief of the majority of the American population that if you can't provide for yourself, you deserve to die.

Even if there were massive economic gains and better quality of life all around from this policy, how would you sell it to the vast majority who needs to see people be homeless and starving beneath them? After all, you haven't made it if there's other people who haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
To the majority of people in America, any kind of aid to the poor is morally atrocious. Take a look at the Freep thread. That's how the vast majority of Americans think deep down, they're just too scared of (rightly) being painted as monsters for voicing their true feelings.

How the hell are you going to sell GMI to a bunch of hateful fuckers like us?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

[citation needed]

Just look at the comment section of any economically related news article, and 3/4 of the posters are bitching about moochers and welfare leeches.

Imagine if you were some minimum-wage chump, and someone wants to give everyone what you've worked so hard to have. No, they've worked hard to be better than that filth, no way are they going to let such a policy through! Those lazy fuckers deserve to suffer, they deserve to starve, they deserve to die!

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

down with slavery posted:

Ahh yes, the comments section on an article about economics, truly the most accurate representation of the American psyche.

Income/wealth inequality is my pet issue, and I work with a variety of organizations to bring about change and I can assure you that the average American, given the correct messaging, is quite compassionate.

Citation needed on that one.

For the record, GMI is a loving brilliant idea, we just hate each other too much to let it happen.

EDIT: typo

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

What are these organizations you work with that help address this problem?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Sweet Jesus, I just googled "Guaranteed Minimum Income" on a lark, and I found sympathetic articles on The Atlantic and Reason.com of all places. I looked in the comment sections expecting hate and horror, and even the Reason article had comments mostly supportive of such a plan. I'm absolutely stunned.

I take back what I said, this kind of thing is possible.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
Sounds like you guys want something akin to a negative income tax, which I find more sensible than handing a GMI out to working people, only to take that away again and then some with taxes. However, we have to make sure it's recalculated month-to-month rather than yearly, in case someone's job situation changes over the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
We don't need mincome, we need Sanctuary Districts to house the people the Job Creators don't need (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sanctuary_District).

In all seriousness though, how would you solve our continually worsening unemployment problems caused by more and increasingly effective automation? Don't think knowledge workers are off the hook either, as expert systems are getting better every day to help doctors and lawyers and such do their jobs.

• Locked thread