Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Or, how much will higher education rates go up for individuals due to increased access? Will individuals be able to more afford to live the basics of life, while resulting in an overall reduction of tax revenues, or will they live a better life while increasing everyone's profit margins and reducing the deficit and need for entitlement programs?

I don't think that higher education costs would go up at all. The people who feel like they 'need' a degree to find decent work now would not feel that need if they had a guaranteed income. Those people wouldn't go and pay more for an unnecessary education. I'd guess that there would be less demand for it, and therefore if they wanted to stay in business they'd have to either offer more value for what is currently being paid or lower prices to attract the people who only require that kind of education to advance to something that actually needs it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think you're making a mistake in assuming that education is a good with elastic demand.

Why do high school seniors, even the ones who should go to trade school instead, go to college for 4 years? I guarantee its not because of a perception of future return with increased lifelong earning potential for the vast majority of individuals at non-Ivy institutions.

Hell, we're already seeing the impact of a GMI during college enrollment in the form of student loans. Take away the repayment obligation, you'll only increase demand for a limited number of slots, for which foreign competition at higher price is already exerting upward price pressures.

And all this minimum wage chat, it completely fails to look at wages as a system. If you live in a state with the bare Federal minimum and border a world-class municipality with a $15/hr wage, you're incentivizing urban blight amongst the working classes unable to afford to cross state borders to take advantage of city pay with residential administrated poverty. It provides perverse incentives unless properly enacted on a regional, multi-jurisdictional level.

It's not elastic in the current environment, it's a false 'requirement'. It's not the perception of future return (meaning that they aren't looking at the amount they will make), it's instilled in kids these days that a college degree is a requirement for any kind of decent job beyond a minimum wage. They get told "If you don't want to work at McDonald's your whole life go to college." It's not that the jobs themselves have changed in difficulty therefore requiring a degree, it's that the competition for jobs has increased. There's a reason that diploma mills exist and it isn't to educate. The competition for the lower end jobs that 'require' degrees would end. If there were a guaranteed income, having to get a diploma from a university to get a job as a secretary would disappear. There would be no reason to get 'a degree' just to make a basic living. It's not the higher tier jobs that actually need a degree that would be affected.
The student loans wouldn't be an issue at all if marginal income students and people who really don't need a degree didn't enroll in the first place. There would be no pressure to enroll in higher education for people who can't pay for it since they wouldn't have to have the degree to get a job with which to pay student loans, etc. The only people who would bother with college would be the ones who really wanted to, the ones that really need a degree to actually do their jobs.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

But the phenomenon you're talking about doesn't really exist in the first place. A quick glance at AA jobs on my local Craigslist found exactly one with "degree preferred," and none that were required. Even in more technical fields like software development a degree isn't really required if you have enough experience. And the reason jobs aren't requiring it is because there isn't the supply that would be needed:

That's why I put 'require' in quotes. It might not be listed as a requirement, but there are going to be more people competing for that same job that actually do have degrees.

Your graph says that the percentage of people that get a college degree now (as of 2009)is about the same percentage of people who in 1940 had even graduated high school in the over 25 bracket. It does not say that they currently actually need those degrees to do their jobs, it says that they have them. If more people are getting degrees then there are more people with degrees in the market for jobs. The graph says that the current supply of degree holders is about 6 times higher than in 1940 as a percentage, but it doesn't say anything about actual need.

• Locked thread