Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I have heard that in the coming decades more and more jobs are going to be in danger of automation. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, what's going to happen to all of the people who are out of a job? Sure, maybe they can just go and get a new job, but what if those jobs end up getting automated? Perhaps there are certain fields and careers that can't be automated, at least in the near future, but are there really enough of those to go around? Like, can we really expect everyone to become an astrophysicist or a doctor?

People have said that new jobs will simply be created. But what kind of new jobs? And will enough of them be created?

One solution I've heard is basic income, which I guess is when we all just get phat paychecks from the gubment. But I have no idea if that would work. But on the other hand, I know of no alternatives. Are there alternatives? And how would they work? Do we just create a bunch of bullshit jobs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread