Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
47% of all jobs in the US are at risk of automation in the next 20 years, most of it affecting low-skill jobs, especially transportation and service jobs. Keep in mind that service jobs are what has picked up the slack since the housing crisis.

Basic Income is going to be very hard to implement because you're literally giving everyone a paycheck regardless if they're already earning income. Something like a Guaranteed Minimum Income would be more affordable, where you're only paying people who aren't working or don't work full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

My Imaginary GF posted:

Having a MGI would also bump up all earnings to higher tax brackets and out of exemptions. Could increase overall tax revenue and pay for itself. I've been asking for numbers to see if this occurs.

I don't have all the numbers, but last I checked, every $1.00 spent on the food stamp program $1.72 is created in revenue. It's one of the better if not the best return on investment for the government.

The way I see it, food is necessary. We're got a bit more than just food, water and shelter as necessities these days, so a GMI has a pretty good shot at being revenue positive.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

HappyHippo posted:

Sorry I can't watch this video right now (still on my phone). At least you get the idea that its not about automation of this or that, it's about some sort of general purpose automator that automates all takes for now and forever. Thats the only thing that could fulfill the argument that its being attempted and I'm not seeing that on the horizon at all. I'm not speculating about 100 years from now, that's a fool's errand. But in terms of the challenges for this generation its not something that we're facing. Yet I see it brought up all the time as though its just around the corner.

The problem is you keep defining this as an all or nothing thing, when there is actually a transition period where certain automated tasks are phased out before others.

Check this out. 47% of all jobs in the united states automated in less than 20 years. Most of them low-skill labor jobs, like transportation (which I believe makes up for over 3 million jobs nation wide). What jobs are there going to be for these people when an automaton becomes cheaper to their bottom line?

• Locked thread