Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Food is already heavily subsidized, I don't know how people can expect it to get much lower.

Grow vegetables in the United States on federal land by federal farms paying federal wages and we'd send the $2 red bell pepper into the annals of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

We don't need to grow more for that. Are you not aware that most crops in the US have price supports to subsidize farmers by trying to ensure a certain minimum floor?

Are you saying that the federal government keeps the price of a single red bell pepper at ~$2?

I was under the impression that the only possible explanation for it is *Production in South America -> Transportation to USA -> Price of transportation applied to price of vegetable* and if that isn't the case I have a new opinion about poverty/health/nutritional supplement assistance...

i am harry fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 4, 2014

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

an economic issue that is sellable to the base.

enraged_camel posted:

There are plenty of people in this country who don't have any moral problems with inequality and in fact happily justify it using Just World Theory.

TwoQuestions posted:

The trouble with any kind if income security is the firm belief of the majority of the American population that if you can't provide for yourself, you deserve to die.

The problem seems to be the base...:boehner:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

The federal government keeps prices of most crops grown in the US at levels that ensure farmer's profits - this how nearly all farm subsidies work. Incidentally this is why its so hilarious when idiots claim that HFCS is used because farm subsidies keep it cheap - they do the opposite.

Bell peppers are grown in the US plenty. South American production only comes into play for people like you who demand to have them when they're in season on the opposite side of the world. Trying to grow more of them in the US wouldn't help you outside of season here unless you're going to put them in indoor facilities with artificial growing cycles.

What the gently caress are you talking about "people like me"? Specifically because they're $2 each year-round, my bell peppers grow in a pot in my back yard and they do exceptionally well with very little help thanks very much.
Now let me come up with something people like you do...in the mean time, it's a sad state that we have poverty (and abysmal health) for the masses and dollars for the poor farmers.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 4, 2014

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Ok so you admit that your idea to make peppers cheaper by wasting a bunch of money on government farms for them is stupid? Great!

Again, another what the gently caress are you talking about moment here, unless you spend your time high-fiving yourself for correcting peoples' opinions and then calling them assholes for thinking things, but in light of the information you've provided it would seem that the simple solution to the unaffordable vegetable problem and the knock on effect of obesity being a symptom of poverty (a problem I feel is paramount in discussing, because we're all going to end up as fat poors if the robots take over and we haven't sorted this out yet) is to make sure we fully automate farming first right?
If dwindling numbers of farmers are causing the farmers' voice to get louder than those suffering from their wants, replacing them with emotionless machines should usher in a new era of dietary health increases for so many who cannot justify $50 on fresh produce.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 4, 2014

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

This is a really dumb post and I'm not sure what point you're trying to make? It's kind of obvious that a slippery slope argument doesn't apply here. It's a really stupid post!

Yeah...If none of the rest of what that person said was stupid, it requires less than $20k to afford everything you need in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

KillHour posted:

1....the second assumption you have to make is that it is better to not help people if helping people would be immoral. Which is... well weird. How could helping someone be immoral? What does that even mean? :iiam:

2. This number is only going to go up as automation improves.
1. You need only to watch church goers drive their cars around the church parking lot to see how little they care for their peers, let alone the scum of the world.

2. Big time.

• Locked thread