Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

By popular demand posted:

what about the JPG tribes?

the GIF tribe's name is unpronounceable by human tongue

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean it's still one of the most isolated places on earth. The story's obviously bullshit though

Corn pop turned out to be real tho

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Phlegmish posted:

There probably would have been plenty of tribes in PNG that still ritually practiced things like cannibalism during WWII. Its interior really was very isolated until relatively recently.

The insane part is claiming, for no reason, that your uncle was personally eaten by cannibals when that's not actually the case, and would have been extremely unlikely even if he had been captured by a PNG tribe.

There's an extract in the Faber Book of Food from someone who spent some time, (I think as an anthropologist) living with a tribe who still occasionally practiced cannibalism. It was only done if they fought a battle against another tribe. They'd eat the enemy fallen, partially for religious reasons, partly out of practicality.
He said he asked them was it not very tough, since they were eating the bodies of fit, adult men, and would they ever eat someone less chewy, like a woman or a very young person?
Apparently they thought this was the most disgusting idea they had ever heard - to kill someone simply to eat them was as abhorrent to them as the general idea of cannibalism is to most people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a book about the Rockefeller that might have gotten eaten that details some of the common beliefs, which varies tribe to tribe but very commonly saw white people as divine and generally forbidden to eat even in rites of warfare. Anyone's uncle pilot would have been avoided but eventually crabbed leading to the illusion people are them even though crabs gonna crab.

It concludes that if taking local verbal history at its word Rockefeller would have been ate but then reminds everyone he probably drowned and got crabbed and historiography in PNG is really up in the air because there's no written record until recently and everyone knows white people are obsessed with cannibalism and will say stupid poo poo to them for a pack of cigarettes.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

zedprime posted:

poo poo to them for a pack of cigarettes.

For axe-heads in this example.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Investigators say Harvard University's morgue manager was part of an underground network trafficking human remains. Here's how it unravelled

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

freeedr posted:

Fuckin dipshit old senile racist
Stop getting upset at NY Post, they're somewhere below Weekly World News in factual accuracy.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

EVERY other publication is below Weekly World News for accuracy

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Raymond82310289/status/1777995052767236560

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The first time he's ever been relatable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He was told to use the hammer like that.

The stupidity is that he didn’t refuse to do it in front of a camera.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Couldn't avoid looking like 4th place in a Dwight Schrute lookalike competition either.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

drat, why didnt i think of that

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Yeah, let me just decide to “quit” being working class since it carries more health risk

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This is why he makes the big bucks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

He declared victory anyway though.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Well he's a millionaire again, isn't he?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1782452196145352902

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

freeedr posted:

Yeah, let me just decide to “quit” being working class since it carries more health risk

The homeless just need to quit their social experiment. Idiots.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Cosplaying the song Common People.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

make him start over

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

'Seagull Boy', nine, wins European screeching competition

quote:

A nine-year-old British boy has won a European championship with his uncanny impression of a seagull.

Cooper, from Chesterfield in Derbyshire, travelled to the Belgian coastal town of De Panne to compete in the EC Gull Screeching competition.

He originally started doing seagull impressions after being nipped by one while he was eating a tuna sandwich.

He wanted to become "Seagull Boy", like when Peter Parker became Spider-Man after being bitten by a spider.

It's a drat good seagull impression.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
drat good costume too.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Eurovision started already?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Some of them, but I think cannibalism with them was more tied to warfare and religion.

I knew someone who worked as a nurse in that area during the eighties, and her stories were amazing. She told me that some of the peoples she had met practiced cannibalism within their lifetime, or at least within living memory, but even back then it was something deeply tied up in ritual and warfare. She said that she was more involved in treating arrow wounds and childbirth than anything like that.

Biden's claims sound more like a family story that you hear as a kid and take for granted, like how my family is sure that they invented the stroopwafel if only they had the paperwork to prove it....

AFAIK there haven't been any human societies where cannibalism was a regular occurrence for food instead of something tied to rituals, warfare/combst or funerals

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Trey Anastasio is going to get attacked by a bunch of jelly-fish imagined up by Mike Gordon.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/US/dolphin-found-shot-death-beach-bullets-lodged-brain/story?id=109565449

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

AFAIK there haven't been any human societies where cannibalism was a regular occurrence for food instead of something tied to rituals, warfare/combst or funerals

I mean just on a pure biomass basis that's gotta be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Trey Anastasio is going to get attacked by a bunch of jelly-fish imagined up by Mike Gordon.

https://x.com/DrewFromTV/status/1782359014292213832