Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tbh if organized crime stuck to diluting olive oil i would be very impressed

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I miss the days when the crime was focused around laundering money through a pizza shop front that actually had surprisingly good pizza. Mostly because I really want a pizza right now :sigh:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I thought the olive oil thing was reasonably common knowledge. The New Yorker covered it in 2007, and I saw a TV special about it when I was literally a child, and I'm 36 now. Every couple of years, another investigative piece comes out. Google turned up articles from 2012, 2014, 2016, 2021, and 2023. Like, this is less an earth-shaking revelation and more just the latest in a long chain of reports.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Diluting olive oil and selling it as a better quality than it is seems like a crime that would have started about ten minutes after people started selling olive oil

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

check out german organized crime: they put gasoline in the riesling. piesporter on fire

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

venus de lmao posted:

I thought the olive oil thing was reasonably common knowledge. The New Yorker covered it in 2007, and I saw a TV special about it when I was literally a child, and I'm 36 now. Every couple of years, another investigative piece comes out. Google turned up articles from 2012, 2014, 2016, 2021, and 2023. Like, this is less an earth-shaking revelation and more just the latest in a long chain of reports.
Mob connections to olive oil was part of the plot in The Godfather (maybe both parts one and two)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
From the CBC:

He thought he'd sold his Rolex for $15K. Sleight of hand left him with coupons instead

quote:

Once in the kitchen, Mattel recalls Marius placing a black pouch on the counter and pulling out a silver envelope with a rubber band around it. He remembers Marius removing the rubber band and handing him the envelope.

"He lets me take out the money and he takes back the envelope. I count out $15,000 in $100 bills. I even make little bundles of $1,000 on the counter," Mattel said.

"Then [Marius] picks up the money and puts it back in the envelope. He puts the rubber band back around the envelope and hands it to me."

With a $100 bill still visible through the clear window of the envelope, Mattel says he handed the man his Rolex and, after exchanging a few pleasantries, Marius left.

A little while later, Mattel decided to open the envelope again. This time, he realized, it'd been stuffed with a bunch of coupons.

"I came undone. I really felt the heat, thinking to myself, 'I've been had,'" he said.

Mattel had just become the latest victim of a criminal magician or magicians who allegedly committed other similar thefts in the greater Montreal area, Radio-Canada's investigation has found.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hope the offender gets sentenced to do children's parties.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think I've read about this trick in at least two cheap crime novels.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

note to self: the number of magicians should be ambiguous

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A criminal magician is also known as a rogue wizard.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also in advanced form an Arcane Trickster.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also in advanced form an Arcane Trickster.
False, those didn't show up until third edition.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sup fuckers? i brought exactly 1½ wizard and im gonna kill them on stage

e: "partially", apparently. I am going to kill the wizard three quarters of the way

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1773220990043996399

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think I've read about this trick in at least two cheap crime novels.

If this turns out to be a guerilla ad campaign for another one of those Now You See Me movies I'm going to only be mildly surprised

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Harry the Hat strikes again!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/TheTrekCentral/status/1773327617694847309

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Where the gently caress did this doctor learn to practice medicine?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Where the gently caress did this doctor learn to practice medicine?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8893054/

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Antivehicular posted:

Diluting olive oil and selling it as a better quality than it is seems like a crime that would have started about ten minutes after people started selling olive oil

There’s an Ea-Nasir of olive oil out there somewhere, waiting to be discovered.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Is this because Lily says "Borg? Sounds swedish" in the movie? I hope so.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

A criminal magician is also known as a rogue wizard.

I think the preferred term is "swindling spellslinger"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

There you go Jen! Don't let society dictate how your life go!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

venus de lmao posted:

My favorite bit is bribing an official with cartons of olive oil in order to sell counterfeit olive oil.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Garrand posted:

My favorite bit is bribing an official with cartons of olive oil in order to sell counterfeit olive oil.

Pure, uncut Calabrian.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

By popular demand posted:

There you go Jen! Don't let society dictate how your life go!

They told me I couldn't have a heart attack, but I proved them wrong!!

Girlboss :love:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MetsdUp/status/1773781160155357520

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1773960905010647157

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

To the mini-mart owner:

Whooping Crabs has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Mar 30, 2024

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I’m now waiting for Trump to start selling Allahsox with “Allah”
woven into the soles so Jesus-loving boomers can tread on the “heathen religious symbol”. Man, you know there are millions of his imbecilic bigoted followers that would love to get some.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Word on the street is that the wholesaler of these garments was one Ian Miles Cheong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Humerus posted:

Is this because Lily says "Borg? Sounds swedish" in the movie? I hope so.

I just got mad at how wrong that is if you know what Swedish sounds like.

It LOOKS Swedish.

Anyway thanks for reading.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Word on the street is that the wholesaler of these garments was one Ian Miles Cheong.

My drug guy does socks too? Truly a renaissance man (who sells drugs).

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Platystemon posted:

I'd honestly have a tiny bit more respect for that shithead if he was organizing clever stuff that would lead to violence, I'd have to upgrade him from 'pathetic internet troll' to 'punch in the face'.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

By popular demand posted:

I'd honestly have a tiny bit more respect for that shithead if he was organizing clever stuff that would lead to violence, I'd have to upgrade him from 'pathetic internet troll' to 'punch in the face'.

You don't have to respect the guy, he will be punished severely in his home country for his multiple crimes if this comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Carthag Tuek posted:

check out german organized crime: they put gasoline in the riesling. piesporter on fire

I heard a story about a French chateau that got caught putting antifreeze in the wine.

The whole case was blown wide open by a little American boy who was over there as part of an exchange program.