Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Jacksonville (Ga.) mayor charged with impersonating an officer and trying to make a traffic stop while high on weed. He was arrested by the Telfair County sheriff, the county in which Jacksonville lies.

Telfair is possibly the epitome of the backwards south.

The cruiser was available for use as the town has had no officers for a month, since the chief and other officer (his wife) stole a newspaper box.

So why did they steal it?

WMAZ posted:

The GBI reports the Brileys took a newspaper collection box to their home, where they used it as a well cover.

RC and Moon Pie has a new favorite as of 05:56 on Feb 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

From the "it's still real to her, dammit" department: LaFayette woman pulls gun on pro wrestler during Ringgold show.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

flosofl posted:

Here's comprehensive list of English fart names. I have to admit I've never given it a lot of thought, but I have used the some of the terms on this page at one time or another. It's definitely missing "Crop Duster":

http://www.fartnames.com

Sadly and/or proudly, I can identify that many of these are plagiarized from The Dictionary of Farts, a book that I read often as a child and still keep on my bookshelf for reference purposes.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Athens man arrested second time in three months for family violence involving pork chop

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Platystemon posted:

1) I could believe the CIA has a gigantic drug lab. The unbelievable part of that story is that they would get caught.

2) Cover story for voluntary medical tourism.

3)

4) I could totally see a lone official doing that as a publicity stunt.

You do know the south actually celebrates where Davis was captured.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

The potential to write headlines like that makes me want to get into journalism.

The best was the story about the DUI checkpoints after a country music concert in an open field in the very deep south. We spent more time scouring the artist's catalog for an appropriate song title headline than writing the article. Something like "Checkpoints uncover 'Beer in the Headlights'" won out.

The vast majority of the time news outlets know exactly what they're doing with headlines. There are even contests for them in press association awards.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Goat protects marijuana crop

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

He didn't have buns, hon.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Drunken man steals ambulance to go Christmas shopping.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The beauty of language: Doctor: No heart, cognitive issues.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

York man indicted for trafficking turtles

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The story behind the headline is one of my favorites as it was journalism in and of itself.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Byron school officials conclude naked Oreo run was not hazing

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Rabies exposure: 21 receive PEP after Macon ‘Raccoon or Kitten?’ event

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

A former slave's daughter lived long enough to vote for Obama, and when she was born there were still a small number of Revolutionary war widows drawing pensions. America is a young country.

President John Tyler (born 1790, in office 1841-45) has two living grandsons.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

AlbieQuirky posted:

After living through the 1970s and 1980s as a rock star with his butt intact, somehow gardening found a way.

He's lucky. Bizarre gardening accidents can be fatal to musicians.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can vouch for Dr. Mario's advanced "combine and eradicate" antiviral technique, having personally witnessed its success numerous times

Pluses: Dr. Mario can take anything you throw at him.
Minuses: Dr. Mario will make it worse by throwing crap on others' work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8xsZPRj5mY

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Where was he expecting to find cheerleaders, much less hot cheerleaders, at this particular time in history?

There are no active sports that involve cheerleaders right now and it's not likely that they're practicing anywhere.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Strangest Beat It cover I ever heard

Oh dear what a pity, a pity, what a shame, oh what a shame

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh man does someone have the screenshots from the teapartybook(?) invasion from way back?

Don't know what's left, but I've had these saved in bookmarks forever.

Tea Party Community invasion

ReaganBook

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail

It's exactly what it says.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Assman? I'll give you Assman!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

By popular demand posted:

You can't do that! Someone has to take out the piss at the dead racist.

They're not dicking around.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

"The Beast with 100 Butts" for me please

I am one, sir, that comes to tell you your daughter and the Moor are now making the beast with two backs100 butts.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Target nearest me had signs up about limiting trading cards sales a couple of weeks ago, to first-come, first-served and to only pack/box (something) per customer.

Has sports and Pokemon card speculation gotten that bad? I haven't collected cards in a long, long time.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mike Love is the only original Beach Boys member in this particular incarnation of the beach boys.

Bruce Johnston's had a couple of stints, but he's right at 50 years with the group. Kinda disturbing when you have 50 years in a group and you're not an original.

Love was 20 when the band released their first single. The rest ranged in age from 14-19. Love turned 80 a few months ago and him creepily pretending to still be a boy is not even close to the worst thing he's ever done.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Guys: Dogpile.

You can search all of them at once.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/timmarchman/status/1433535663564115973

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Kelly certainly doesn't need to be the one making the joke, considering his/Notre Dame's background. It was, though, based on a line from former Buccaneers coach John McKay in the 1970s.

McKay's Bucs were horrendous. Seriously awful. McKay was asked at halftime what he thought of his team's execution (meaning plays). Seizing the opportunity, McKay responded he was for it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

gleebster posted:

Oh, no, not Raleigh. It's more of an Albany, Georgia expression.

Have been to Albany. Can confirm its widespread use in the area.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I love the way you walk
Don't you know you're a cool motivator
Love the way you walk
Love the way you walk

I love the velvet hat
You know the one that caused
A revolution
Love the velvet hat
Love the velvet hat

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

151 Walker is my man. He had the disadvantage of being a bit bigger to start with, but he's rounded out nicely.

503's a stronger contender as well. Otis is a young up-and-comer and I expect him to be at the top in a year or two.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The only appropriate use of Wonderful Christmastime.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That last one can be explained a bit.

"Walt Disney Is" is the jump column, carried over from 1. Some papers are fine with uneven headlines that don't fill up the whole space. This one seems to have gone a step farther, with a nearly justified jump. Some papers labeled their jumps, some just told you that it continued on a certain page. This for sure labeled what story you were continuing.

Most papers then ran 7 or 8 columns - 6 is industry standard now - so "Walt Disney Is" takes up the right amount of space.

As an aside, if youh haven't flipped through newspaper archives from decades past, the front pages are a shock compared to now for how the design and consideration of content have changed.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Garrand posted:

I had initially assumed that the "8 highschool coaches" was part of the exageration, but no I guess this high school had 8 coaches (well, 7 assistant coaches). How many coaches does a hs football team need?

Granted, my state is cuckoo for high school football, but 8 is a few smaller than biggest staffs here. The crazier, better booster supported schools have position coaches, on top of the offensive and defensive coordinators, who are not to be confused with the head coach. And not to be confused with the JV program, either.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheMattKaye/status/1554525567009148931

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Every time I heard about leg lengthening, I'm reminded of the :nms: Jezebel story, Stories About My Brother. :nms: It's an all-around horrific story, probably worse than you can ever imagine.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The best story update I have ever read:

quote:

November 17, 2022: This story has been updated to reflect that it's possible Walker was only discussing the topic of werewolves, not describing the plot of a movie.

75% of my shithole county voted for him this month. Seventy Five percent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

My favorite sign I saw every day going to work was a shelter, advertising what they had available. The top two lines changed often, Maltese $1500. Purebred Poodle, $2300. Golden Doodle $900.

The bottom line was always the same. All Cats $20, OBO.

I've had people ask me what breed of cat I own.

"Cat."