Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I appreciate the BBC's classy and tasteful form of journalism.

"Down's."

Down's is a common way of referring to it, since it was discovered by Dr. Down. Just like Alzheimer's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If you don't feel like reading the article, the answers to your questions are "with his feet", "twice", and "the victim was lying down".

And 'scissors'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Finally a use for that TCC drug that makes you unable to recall the next 24 hours

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deadly fire exposes wealthy man’s secret underground tunnels

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pigeons are able to see magnetic fields, which is why until recently trained pigeons were an essential part of the secret service.

However, at the insistence of then-VP Cheney, the pigeon program went the way of the dodo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Are French potatoes particularly prestigious

Did you ever see a place serve China Fries?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gambia recently got rid of their dictator. He fled the country, but that doesnt mean their newspapers aren't gleefully keeping tabs on him.

GAMBIA: BREAKING NEWS: EXILED GAMBIAN DICTATOR SUFFERS “FOOD POISONING” IN EQUATORIAL GUINEA; MOROCCAN WIFE AND HIS KIDS HAVE LEFT HIM!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zesty posted:

Recall? Are they expecting more calculators to turn up?

if a calculator fell in accidentally and nobody noticed, they'll have to go over the entire process and do a full accounting

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

every bunny was kung-fu fighting

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Here's a smithsonian mag article on it

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/ask-smithsonian-did-ellis-island-officials-really-change-names-immigrants-180961544/

quote:

Ellis Island inspectors were not responsible for recording immigrants’ names. Instead, any error likely happened overseas.

The ship’s manifest was presented to Ellis Island inspectors after the boat docked. From there, the inspector would cross-reference the name on the manifest with the immigrant passenger, and also ask 30 questions to screen out rabble-rousers, loafers, or the physically and mentally infirm, but also to glean information on who they would be living with and where in America, says Urban. The inspectors also would see if the answers matched those recorded by the shipping clerk before departure.

“If anything, Ellis Island officials were known to correct mistakes in passenger lists,” says Philip Sutton, a librarian in the Milstein Division of United States History, Local History and Genealogy, at the New York Public Library, in a blog post delving into the name change mythology.

More commonly, immigrants themselves would change their names, either to sound more American, or to melt into the immigrant community, where they were going to live, says Sutton. If name changes happened with any frequency on Ellis Island, it was not noted in any contemporaneous newspaper accounts or in recollections from inspectors, Sutton says.

It is also unlikely a foreign name would flummox an Ellis Island inspector. From 1892 to 1924, “one-third of all immigrant inspectors were themselves foreign-born, and all immigrant inspectors spoke an average of three languages,” says the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Reading the article I don't see how it's in any way in conflict with the "legend". Guy in Europe writes down name by hand, Ellis Island guy spells it wrong on type writer.

The Ellis island guy never had a chance to misspell or mistype it because he never wrote or typed it to begin with.

https://www.nypl.org/blog/2013/07/02/name-changes-ellis-island posted:

inspectors never wrote down the names of incoming immigrants.  The only list of names came from the manifests of steamships, filled out by ship officials in Europe. In the era before visas, there was no official record of entering immigrants except those manifests.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Imagine loving dinosaurs as a kid in the 80s-90s then jumping forward to 2019 and it's a bunch of feathered weirdos saying wowie

Turns out latest palentology is that T-Rex specifically was basically featherless, so its status as coolest dino remains uncontested

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

. And if anybody wants to fight Jackie Chan, I'm gonna fight you, the monster you clearly are.
Make A Wish must answer for their crimes.
https://lifestyle.clickhole.com/4-times-jackie-chan-wept-when-he-was-forced-to-beat-up-1825123040

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Attention future people: if you resurect me I promise to explain what this means:
I II
II L

:.|:;

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

People can do whatever they want to opossums for 5 days in NC. Some want that changed
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article237510559.html

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

This made me go look up if gemstones can burn because I've never heard of such a thing. Apparently they can depending on the impurities in the stone and the harder the stone the hotter the temperature has to be. Emeralds apparently turn into phenacite when burned. Hopefully some knowledgeable in gemstones goon could confirm or give more detail on this.

generally less burn and more explode into dust due to uneven heating and internal stresses

might wanna crosspost to the lapidary/gemstone megathread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894756&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Dear Margaret:
...I really, like really really like rare beef and steak Tartare and all other forms of hardly touched beef. And Pork. Can't explain why. Am I just to northern european in northern Europe? If I move to south east Asia... will I have to choose between suicide now, or death by brain worms later? I only eat meat tested for Trichinella but should I get my own lab to be safe? Can I trust the mailman? Does human meat have contagious brain worms? Help, I dont know how to contain my bloodlust :ohdear:

Just buy a gamma source and use the power of the atom to sterilize your food.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

This is anti‐invertebrate bigotry.

When a lion captures a gazelle, they say “let nature take its course”.

When an octopus pulls itself up by its eight nonexistent bootstraps and bags a loving dinosaur, humans are all over it, snatching the aggressor from the tentacles of justice.

I will have you know that octopi are officially classified as Honorary Vertebrates, so spineism is over forever!!!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

No!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean theoretically it'd reduce the risk posed by someone with covid breathing near a medical professional who doesn't have it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chemical plants went all in on computer 3d simulation, because their best previous plant design process was building a physical model to scale

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They mistook that fat bottomfeeding blob as a fellow trump supporter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I think it must be some compound in their bread that I'm sensitive to or something, but all subway food has always smelled absolutely revolting to me. I've never even tasted it because of how bad it smells.

Gotta sniff that weird vent stonk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can't fool me, that's GPT-2.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Such Fun posted:

Obviously they would have needed two good guys with a gun.
No. No, they would have needed a number of good guys with guns equal to the number of bad guys with a gun plus the number of police officers

Why are you counting the cops twice?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Chris Columbus is to filmmaking as Christopher Columbus is to colonization :colbert:

He established many techniques early on that soon became commonplace, and carried out his job with far more effectiveness than most of his imitators?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They caught the unicorn bandits
https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/08/06/operation-unicorn-shane-phillips-marie-roman-adrian-quintana/

“The investigation was dubbed ‘Operation Unicorn’ because of the [group’s] affection for unicorns (drawings, figurines, etc.), which were found throughout the investigation and helped tie the crimes together,” the sheriff’s office said.

Shane

Marie

and Adrian

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 05:26 on Aug 7, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Even the Riddler would give those nerds a fuckin wedgie.

Yeah but they're all replicants so what are you gonna do?

By popular demand posted:

I just made a terrible discovery, not one forum smilie is depicting bees!

:ullerrm:, but only on a technicality

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Don Gato posted:

It's also in the spirit of the original Olympics, where one of the most famous wrestling champions actually died during a match and they gave him the victory, as obviously he was willing to go even to the death in order to win.

Nah he tapped out while being pinned by the corpse.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sadly satire

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

everything around fake weapons is dangerous and requires fastidious, expert experience

The union is gonna rub this in hollywood's stupid face. They walked off because of unsafe working conditions, and the next day a guy gets shot

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/alec-baldwins-fatal-film-set-shooting-followed-union-workers-outcry-over-safety-issues/ar-AAPSgFy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fry died as he lived.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

What in god's name is actually happening here anyway

aurora borealis

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inceltown posted:

If every single person on the continent was doing an ounce every hour of the day all year then economies of scale would bring the price down a bit.

:mmyes: worked in the 80s

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mistook a scallop for a disco clam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLZAIaXudk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Croccers posted:

Peter Dutton seeks to recast his image as Tanya Plibersek apologises for likening him to Voldemort
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-26/peter-dutton-recast-image-tanya-plibersek-voldemort-comment/101100708

ah the old Tim Pawlenty

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lady Disdain posted:

Even large boulders the size of small boulders move themselves for free.
Maybe this is some sort of racket, and the $250,000 is how much it costs to convince the boulder to move along of its own volition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1OQnykR_1s

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

citybeatnik posted:

I will never grokk the French's weird obsession with keeping their language "pure". I had a Francophile friend attempt to explain it but after a few words they just started sounding like an adult on Charlie Brown.

It's like seeing god drat fnord in text.

It's a fascist impulse towards cultural purity l, the nazis tried that too, including replacing 'banana' with 'tube apple'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cultural Purity I is the first of the cultural purity techs, there are 13 more in the tech tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lol an assessment of 'what won the war' which doesn't even use the word 'logistics'.