Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Any old gibberish is better than a comedy placeholder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of placeholders!

"No one for spelling at a loss is
Who boldly spells Rhinocerosses."

Or Gallipoli.

Fame at last:

Herey Herey!

(pretty sure this is the Guardian, also known as the Grauniad)

Classy stuff:

All shamelessly cribbed from this fine collection:
http://www.elezea.com/2014/02/lorem-ipsum-gone-wrong/

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

The Not Enough News Network strikes again.

Toxicology:

Horticulture:

Entomology:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Aesop Poprock posted:

A story that's basically "A duck was around" on what appears to be the front page of a newspaper. I feel like you would die of boredom even accidentally passing over whatever town that is in an airplane

One of my personal favourites:

Full story here.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Holy crap, I wish the only problem I had in my life was a "lack of custard."

There's a UK site called Dull News in Local Newspapers, which performs exactly as advertised, reaping a steady harvest of overturned wheelie bins and people who win meat raffles.

But occasionally, it blindsides its tedium-loving readership with revelations like this:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

KillHour posted:

There could be a whole thread about these, Jesus.

"Beware our Sting" Google translate: "Our Mortgage Bites." Yeah, so does mine. :haw:

Who creates the mottos for these things? 'Cave spiculum nostrum', the first thing that I could string together, is clumsy at best, but 'Caveo noster morsus' is bizarre gibberish.

I also want to know who was responsible for this lady:

Because she seriously makes me wonder if all these satellites are being controlled by dice rolls.

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

At least they didn't have it carved in stone and embedded into the wall of a public building.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2782467/Motto-engraved-library-gets-lost-translation.html

The Daily Mail posted:

Moorestown architect Rick Ragan told the Burlington County Times he learned of the problem from residents who translated it online - who also came up with a wrong answer.

In fact, the Google translate software also fluffed the translation of the words, which do not mean anything in that form because they ignore the rules of Latin grammar.

But they did pick up on the fact that the word the authorities thought meant 'check' could also mean 'guess'.

Ragan says he'll pay a stone cutter to change the phrase to something that means 'We encourage all.'

He'll also have the Roman numerals fixed to reflect the proper year.

KillHour posted:

:stare:

We're literally Naziesque supervillians, aren't we?

Hans...are we the baddies?

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

drat, I was just going to post that. I bet the guys from Puppetry of the Penis already have this talented fellow on the phone.

(bonus points as it's from The Independent, which is usually too staid for headline shenanigans)

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Snoped, alas.

One for Heath Robinson enthusiasts:

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

Teach posted:

Mentioned on this blog HERE and from 1979, I don't know what's happening here. Drugs?

I was rendered helpless by 'Thrremony at tremony at the libremony at the libraremony at the library', and I bet even the most surly couldn't handle the segue into a football match. Holymoly shitremony.

On the subject of libraries, I hope this isn't a photoshop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

When my brother was little, he once defined Feudalism as 'obeying the person who was more impotent than you', but I think this kid has him beat:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/20/i-live-in-a-terrorist-house-police-speak-to-muslim-boy-10-over-spelling-error