Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Can't argue with that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKNdRpB4fTw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tobaccrow posted:

I imagine the shame was so great, he had to notify the newspaper?

It's an old story: http://www.snopes.com/college/risque/daughter.asp

The picture is of The Mirror, a British tabloid reporting a story from Zimbabwe, so probably take it with a grain of salt.
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2011/12/03/Man-orders-prostitute-daughter-arrives/23601322899200/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pththya-lyi posted:

I already did. I must not, and will not, recall what I found.

E: vvv I MUST NOT, AND WILL NOT, RECALL. vvv

AAAH THE FEMALE BODY :gonk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I can't giggle cause it's super hosed up to treat people like that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Honestly is there really a reason to defend the freedom to poo poo on women or gay people? Is it really so important to have that right now, in this thread?

Here is a weird headline: Bear shot out of tree onto tramponline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1pIO4_lUY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If this is photoshop it doesnt belong here

if it is, how, what?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

King Koopa probably would endorse Bowser, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Laetitia was the roman goddess of gaiety :mmmhmm:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

El Estrago Bonito posted:

One thing you learn going to security conferences is that Feds are absolutely in love with the idea of joking about secret agent stuff. If you ever want a laugh go look at all the mission patches for really nerdy military, NSA and fed projects.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a conscious strategy. Joke about like surveillance & people will tend to disregard it when they hear about it elsewhere...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What is the deal with the UK making crazy shortened versions of words. Seeing "christmas presents" shortened to "crimbo pressies" is.... is ...... :barf:.

All English diminutives are weird as hell. Robert => Bob, Margaret => Peggy, Richard => Dick, Henry => Hank :confused:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

QuelleFuck posted:

Nicknames for Margaret: Peggy, Maggie, Marge, Margo, Meg, Mamie, Molly, Greta, Midge, Madge, to name a few. And Maisie.

From what I understand, it's a holdover from when everyone had saints' names and everyone named their kids after themselves (this used to be common for women as well). They just came up with a fuckton of nicknames in order to differentiate between all the kids in the village who had the same name. Like kids now referring to kids in their class as, say, Sara S. and Sarah L.

Yeah as far as I know naming your kid after yourself is an English or royal thing. In Scandinavia you'd name your kids after the parents of the father & mother. The exact order was different in various areas.

One of my great3 grandfathers' name was Niels Christensen Dalsgaard. His first name was presumably after his fathers father or his mothers father, they were both named Niels; Christensen is "son of Christen" after his father; and Dalsgaard after the farm they lived on. Yet he also had an older brother with the exact same name. The pull of tradition was strong enough that the parents had to name their two firstborn sons after each of their fathers, even if they had the same name.

So they were called Big Niels & Li'l Niels.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

RandomFerret posted:

My favourite story about that was in an English village years ago where they still kept the practice, and they ran into the same problem, two brothers named Evan. There were nicknames and such through the years, but it wasn't until they'd grown up and found careers that the village finally had a name for each of them. One became a vicar and the other became the town mortician, so they were called Evan Above and Evan Below.

Hah nice, that is too good to be true.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

QuelleFuck posted:

Every single one of my paternal male relatives save one are named William, Robert, or Thomas. We call them Papa Bill, Bill A., Bucky, Little Billy, Bob, Rob, Tom, and TJ, respectively.

E: I almost forgot that on my mom's side, all the firstborn men are named Paul MacSomething Whatever. My granddad was called Paul, my uncle was called Mark (for "Mac," I'm told), until my uncle got married and had a son he named Paul MacSomething Whatever. Now my uncle is called Paul and my cousin is Mark. When my cousin has a son, everyone will start calling him Paul.

You need some Johns and Matthews in there

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Birb Katter posted:

Sara -> Saw/Ray

Sarah -> Say/Aw

Weirdos

:agreed:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBelT-Xi1CY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Slime posted:

I know a kid named Charlie Brown, the poor bastard.

Sounds like he gotta rock, though.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My name is PYF terrible names

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nobody will get a majority. The arithmetic just isn't there. Based on my awareness of the figures, it's very likely that Labour could have gotten a majority, but the SNP surge has undercut that quite drastically. Nonetheless, they still have a good chance of being the biggest party next Friday, but they're looking at a minority government with support from Plaid (if they get anyone in) and possibly the DUP.

I know this isn't the thread, but can you in very few words describe the difference compared to the Danish system? Cause we have had maybe five majority governments ever, aside from them it's all been coalitions of a right or left spectrum of parties. Wouldnt it be kindof the same in Australia, then? To make actual legislation, they'd need to get some other parties on top of their own?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, in Denmark all parties above 2% get their share of the total seats, in that sense its very fair. Imo the real problem is the constituency voting anything right of left. :marx: wtf why doesnt this smiley exist

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Istari posted:

Was he Mexican ?

Aramaic is the preferred nomenclature

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

GWILLAM JENKINS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

From the Norwegian newspaper Nordske Intelligenz-Sedler:

quote:

Christiania [now Oslo]. Last July 17 in the morning, a man hanged himself here in Agersgaden [street] in a little hay-loft, and in the afternoon thunder struck the same house in which the man hanged, whereby the thunder-ray not only split asunder several parts of both the roof and walls, but also tore off the cord in which he had hanged, so that he fell down. The occurrence is not only truthful, but also very remarkable. It is left to those knowledgeable of nature to judge further.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zombie Boat posted:

Man killed to death - The occurrence is not only truthful, but also very remarkable. It is left to those knowledgeable of nature to judge further.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

"They did let us watch for a little while. There were at least a hundred of us. It was kind of messed up, actually."

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I just now realized that his hand wasn't photoshopped to have a gun. I thought it was some picture they'd found online, like the Krispy Kreme suck dick one. What a shame it wasn't.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tardigrade posted:

Are the babies moslings?

Mooselets

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

This is kindof like posting the Vampire Kid headlines or like Alien Autopsy poo poo, though.

I'm pretty sure they think up headlines and then just google pictures to fit into their made up poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lizard Wizard posted:

Could you provide an expanation? This is in German, you see.

The headline is "9 Nintendo characters that everybody knows except for me, the editor"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Nckdictator posted:

There's a joke here somewhere.

Almer Pennewell owns.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Taste test of strong beers:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pththya-lyi posted:

What am I looking for? I can't read this language.

I figured the hosed up typography would be enough to tell that they're not just tasting, but drinking the beers and are getting too drunk to properly write out the reviews.

it's also from the back page, which usually contains less serious stuff

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tibor posted:

Its vocabulary isn't very well established. It's pretty much just "Mmmm" and "Aww yiss".

Kamelåså

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm gonna pretend this is the entire article & that is alright.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Karma Monkey posted:

Yea, but why dress as a bear to do suicide by bear? I want to know more about the other incidents of people dressed as bears that the rangers have encountered.

Listen, we shouldn't dig too deeply into this subject. The truth can only be less interesting than the 4 quotes we have.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

It's from clickhole though, so not real.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/we-can-do-american-red-cross-challenging-you-fill--2149

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wanna meet that dad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pookel posted:

Still think this is totally plausible (I'm not joking). I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, personally, anyway.

Also I made this point when the same story was on Jezebel a couple days ago, and a dude tried to mansplain vaginas to me on the basis that his wife says he knows her vagina better than she does. Um, sure. That's believable.

Tbh it doesn't seem implausible that a dude dumb enough to use that as a qualification has a wife so deeply daft that he actually does know her vagina better than her. Who else would marry such a lovely wall of potatoes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

quote:

Dr Paul Booth of Keele University spotted the name ‘Roger Fuckebythenavele’ in the Chester county court plea rolls beginning on December 8, 1310. The man was being named three times part of a process to be outlawed, with the final mention coming on September 28, 1311.

Dr Booth believes that “this surname is presumably a nickname. I suggest it could either mean an actual attempt at copulation by an inexperienced youth, later reported by a rejected girlfriend, or an equivalent of the word ‘dimwit’ i.e. a man who might think that that was the correct way to go about it.”

http://www.medievalists.net/2015/09/10/the-earliest-use-of-the-f-word-discovered/