Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

KasaiAisu posted:

Hmm, I think if they wanted to show Karin losing feeling in her left leg, they'd have put it behind Togo; actually, that looks like it's where her leg would normally be. Maybe it's shown because she doesn't lose her leg?
I agree, the others all have their hands on their injuries. Karin doesn't have her hands anywhere on her body.
Her "only" struggling with survivor's guilt actually sounds more interesting anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
So what's the verdict now? Is it genuinely worth watching other than as a timefiller?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Soundtrack preview: http://canime.jp/cgi/page/detail/display/201400001249/001/
Nier as hell.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kylra posted:

So what's the verdict now? Is it genuinely worth watching other than as a timefiller?

Maybe? It all depends on the next episodes. But this show is good at keeping people guessing without any bullshit tricks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Maybe? It all depends on the next episodes. But this show is good at keeping people guessing without any bullshit tricks.

It's past episode 6 of a 12 episode run. I think we are beyond the point of 'keep watching another couple of episodes, maybe it will get good'.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
The only thing this show has going for it still is a very subtle underlying sense of unease or dread. We're 6 episodes in and suddenly the big bad is completely defeated and the only ill effects anyone has experienced as a result are the loss/partial loss of some senses. So now everything is sunshine and roses right? Somehow the show makes it feel like that's not the case without doing anything super obvious to make you feel that way.. which is a big change from the pretty blatant death flags galore we had in the earlier episodes.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Right now it seems like someone watched a bunch of old war movies and then thought, "why do these always end right after a battle? I wanna see what happens afterwards." And then added magical girls.

Then they decided that the world needed to be ever so slightly off, just because. But I agree, this probably isn't something you'd go back and watch once you know what's up.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
What I find most interesting is the deception by the Taisha(?). If the team had just been told "yeah, you'll probably have some feedback after using your super form, but if you don't the town gets destroyed, so you'll agree it's worth it right?" then everything would indeed be sunshine and roses.

I'm expecting one of two scenarios; a) the symptoms actually get worse instead of healing and they have to somehow get better or b) Itsuki losing her voice forever is just too terrible so they get answers the hard way :black101:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I came here watching this because the OP made me thing Bad Things are going to happen.

Bad things haven't happened yet but by god this show makes me thing it still might happen and now I need to keep watching just in case. :ohdear:

I must've missed it but what background details do we have? Any idea what the Taisha is and what not? Speaking of Nationalism, Togo has the occasional interesting line that makes you go: :raise:

Don't know what's going on. But I think its worse sticking through, at the very least the early battles were fun. Particularly Karin with Archer's abilities.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Taisha (大赦) is the shrine organization centered around the worship of Shinju-sama. The way they write it translates as something like "amnesty" or "official pardon", and it's a homophone to 大社 meaning "grand shrine". They are a very powerful part of this society.

People have figured out that the anime is set in a city named Kanonji on the island of Shikoku. There isn't a suspension bridge there. Maybe they made one up. Maybe that wrecked bridge from the op is in a different city.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I like how, in some of them, even the smallest, most ephemeral details like a bunch of stacked boxes, have been faithfully replicated in the anime.

I don't know if that requires effort or :effort:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
It's a valuable detail because it shows that the place, despite how it's been isolated and twisted by the Taisha, still shows signs of human life.

Edit: Rahxephon, which has a "Japanese enclave isolated by otherworldly powers", couldn't adequately portray a fully human city. It had a tendency of making the place look sterile and inhuman. And now that I think about it, YYY doesn't really either.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 17, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

oh btw this exists http://yushabu.jp

I was hoping it would get all messed up after the last episode like someone who doesn't know much about HTML had been playing with it but unfortunately that hasn't happened.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You know if this really is about simply what happens you stop being a magical girl and living with your injuries like a war veteran I could be okay with that.

Itsuki really got the worst injury though, she's the only one that needs to learn sign language probably.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Raenir Salazar posted:

You know if this really is about simply what happens you stop being a magical girl and living with your injuries like a war veteran I could be okay with that.

Itsuki really got the worst injury though, she's the only one that needs to learn sign language probably.

Well in theory they'd all need to learn sign language if they had any intent on understanding what she's saying.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Amstrad posted:

Well in theory they'd all need to learn sign language if they had any intent on understanding what she's saying.

Well, at a minimum she and her sister would need to learn.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
Suggested thread title:
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Something interesting might happen next episode.

It's how I would summarize the entire series up to this point, it's a master class in how to not actually commit to anything interesting. Who knows if they'll keep that up to the end, or even just go out with something boring. Given how largely generic it's been, I wonder if they even have the writing skill for anything good. Tiny details in bylines in the seventh episode, yet I have a hard to believing they will really amount to anything at this point.

EDIT: Spent time attempting to dig for spoilers on the light novels and prequel light novels, something good may come out of it yet is what I'll limit myself to saying. Though they've still spent more than half of the show with little to show for it.

Ztarlit_Sky fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 23, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Eeeeeh, I feel like they've managed to keep up some fairly good suspense. And there's some fairly heavy consequences conveyed without having to actually resort to offing characters; plus I am genuinely curious into figuring out what's happening, such as Maybe everyone is Immortal now? And the fight scenes *are* fun. Also if its a multimedia effort then perhaps we're just in the middle part of that, with more stuff after the anime.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I finally caught up on this series and came to post that the last episode really reminded me about Rahxephon for some reason. I'm guessing that like in Rahxephon their island is isolated from the rest of the "normal" world by Shinju/Taisha and said rest of the world is trying to free them from their control.

Have to agree with everyone though that the show does a good job of making you feel something is not quite right and that something terrible is going to happen without having to kill off anyone.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
That was a heartwarming episode. Friendship and hugs.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Guess this could turn out to be like Fafner, too. Humanity's last line of defense is a "weapon" that also slowly kills its user
Really interested how they're gonna end this, could go so many ways.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Which would be worse? Slow uniform physical degeneration or random sudden degeneration of different parts?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well this really sucks. They won't die of natural causes, but will get entirely crippled. I'm holding out on my prediction of ending up "saving" a destroyed world, except now they will be effectively undead too.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think how horrifying this can become depends (from our perspective) whether this is an 'alternate history' or not. Because if they had the Shinto gods manifest and gave them eternal life and what's happening is the rest of the world trying to get some of that or destroy it out of spite that could range from unfortunate implications to downright horror depending on how its played out or otherwise handled.

In general we need more specifics.

This is sorta like the Kyuubei's second hand car dealership cousin offering a subpar deal. Sure they get "something" but the powers slowly degenerate you instead of letting you be an immortal lich; and its not even for something grand like reversing thermodynamics, but its because of a dick god protecting itself and putting the pawns up first.

e:

I remember something I originally wanted to say! Today I learned that Yuki Yuna is basically the anime version of Cabin in the loving Woods.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So, I guess then that Togo is a veteran of the previous war, which is how she got crippled, right?

nielsm posted:

Well this really sucks.

Mankai until the only thing left of you is a clenched fist around a Vertex' neck :black101:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rexides posted:

So, I guess then that Togo is a veteran of the previous war, which is how she got crippled, right?

Mankai until the only thing left of you is a clenched fist around a Vertex' neck :black101:

There's off site comments by the creator or director or somebody that implies that and in addition to her legs, her memory was taken, but she'd silk be in good enough shape to go back to the "front." On the other hand, the girl in the bed had done Mankai 10 times before entering that state.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I liked how they created that feeling of unease in the previous episodes. It was a nice slow buildup. And now I really want to know what happens next.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

There's off site comments by the creator or director or somebody that implies that and in addition to her legs, her memory was taken, but she'd silk be in good enough shape to go back to the "front." On the other hand, the girl in the bed had done Mankai 10 times before entering that state.

Those are spoilers from the last chapter of the prequel LN, which will be out tomorrow.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, well, well:
http://i.imgur.com/P497iw0.jpg
(Could be considered a spoiler?)

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Well, well, well:
http://i.imgur.com/P497iw0.jpg
(Could be considered a spoiler?)
Not sure what you mean. That was stated in the anime.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmm, ok. It's just that they liken the heroes and the hero system to flowers blooming and then wilting. And you can preserve a blooming flower by pressing and drying it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Hmm, ok. It's just that they liken the heroes and the hero system to flowers blooming and then wilting. And you can preserve a blooming flower by pressing and drying it.

I didn't make that connection!

:gonk:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This show has really grown on me. It is dark, but not the edgy kind of dark.

And it's basically about WWII Japan and how Japanese soldiers were worshipped as gods because of their sacrifices. But it is from the perspective of the soldiers and how there is nothing glorious and sacred about their suffering. (Well, at least up until now. They can still gently caress everything up.)

Edit: It's an anti war magical girl show.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 1, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It has a lot to do with recent Japanese politics too, with Abe pushing for the return of State Shinto.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh... What the gently caress? I shouldn't be surprised though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This show has really grown on me. It is dark, but not the edgy kind of dark.

And it's basically about WWII Japan and how Japanese soldiers were worshipped as gods because of their sacrifices. But it is from the perspective of the soldiers and how there is nothing glorious and sacred about their suffering. (Well, at least up until now. They can still gently caress everything up.)

Edit: It's an anti war magical girl show.

The only problem of course along with making a "anti war movie/game" is when the war is hell message gets subverted by either the medium being entertaining or the actions being justified. In this case we don't know a whole lot but the Vertixes do seem like an existential threat to their society; though I suppose an anti war message set on the Eastern front from the Soviet perspective might be analogous.

War sucks but sometimes its needed? This gets confusing at times.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I can see that being a problem for this show. But maybe they'll get it right.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This is not anti-nationalistic in the slightest. Everything is being played completely straight. The Taisha, while shadowy, are being portrayed as having the best interests at heart. Outsiders are completely dehumanised.

The show is framed a "defence of the homeland" scenario, which is a mainstay of nationalistic works. Meanwhile, it is impossible to honestly talk about Japan's role in WW2 without noting that they were an imperialistic power waging a war of aggression across the Asia Pacific (and that's not even getting into the casual murder of civilians like they were no longer a post-Enlightenment society).

If you want an anime that criticises Japanese nationalism, go watch RahXephon, which starts with a "defence of the homeland", and then immediately transplants the POV to the outsiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmmm.

In magical girl shows you always have the monster of the week that attacks. So the genre conventions might have a(n) (unintended?) negative impact on its message.

I don't think the Taisha are shown as benevolent at all. They are constantly lying to the girls while the girls desperately cling to their belief that the Taisha are benevolent. The Taisha tried to prevent Sonoko from telling them the truth after all.

Then you have how the girls deal with their disabilities. They try to keep on with their daily routines as if it's not a big deal, but below the surface you can feel how badly they are affected.

Maybe it's my wishful thinking, but I still have hope.

Or it will be the usual 'War is bad in general' message without any criticism of Japanese aggression.

• Locked thread