Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Stealing Zorak's description from the Fall 2014 thread:
New original slice-of-life anime produced by Studio Gokumi, it's being directed by Seiji Kishi (Persona 4) and written by "Takahiro" (Akame ga Kill). As it's an original IP and there's so little known, I'm just going to copy the summary given by the studio here: "The story takes place in the era of the gods, year 300. Yuuna Yuuki lives an ordinary life as a second year middle school student, but she's also a member of the "Hero Club," where club activities involve dealing with a mysterious being called "Vertex."

Anyone coming into this anime based off that description is going to be in for a bit of a surprise. This is actually a by the numbers team of magical girls fighting to save the world anime.. or is it!? Well that 'or is it' is probably what Takahiro and Studio Gokumi want you to believe. All the signs have been pointing to a Madoka style sudden change of tone.

Did I mention ALL THE SIGNS?

Our Cast:

From right to left (because :japan:)

Yūna Yūki - The Genki Pink One
Titular hero and surprisingly not the first one to become a magical girl. Punches things.

Mimori Tōgō - The Quiet Blue One
Wheelchair bound and smart. Shoots things.

Karin Miyoshi - The Tsundere Red One
Shows up late to the party and only plays along because she has to.. Swords things.

Itsuki Inubōzaki - The Innocent Green One
The younger sister to the walking death flag, shared tragic past of some sort. Vines things?

Fū Inubōzaki - The Walking Death Flag
Listen if this girl doesn't bite it by the end of episode 5... Double Swords things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Fangz posted:

Is there actually anything interesting about this show at all? Because adding Cute Girls Dying to a very generic looking cute girls fighting monsters series is not as inherently awesome and original as people seem to think.

Not so far. Apparently the fact it was a magical girls show at all was some sort of twist as nothing before the show airing alluded to it being one. Really episode 5 will give us the answer. If they go the obvious route and just dust yellow then there will be nothing of note here, if it turns out to be some elaborate bait and switch the show might have narrative legs. Right now it's super generic though.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Yeah, everyone powers up and defeats the all out assault of the last of the badguys, what the heck is left?
Anyone not already watching this show: I can't at this point recommend getting into it, it's very much a show you keep watching just to see it through.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

straight jerkers posted:

After the screening the cast came out and made fun of the audience for expecting someone to die.

They certainly didn't pull any punches in terms of building that expectation, to the point where I don't have any sympathy for anyone who didn't have at least some doubts about it.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Well Red didn't transform to her Mankai and there's still this lingering background that we still know nothing about beyond vague snippets mentioned during the class lectures. I'm sure the next episode will set up Act 2 where everything falls apart and/or poo poo gets real(er)

8 episodes later...
No guys really, next episode things are going to get real, just watch!

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

The only thing this show has going for it still is a very subtle underlying sense of unease or dread. We're 6 episodes in and suddenly the big bad is completely defeated and the only ill effects anyone has experienced as a result are the loss/partial loss of some senses. So now everything is sunshine and roses right? Somehow the show makes it feel like that's not the case without doing anything super obvious to make you feel that way.. which is a big change from the pretty blatant death flags galore we had in the earlier episodes.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

You know if this really is about simply what happens you stop being a magical girl and living with your injuries like a war veteran I could be okay with that.

Itsuki really got the worst injury though, she's the only one that needs to learn sign language probably.

Well in theory they'd all need to learn sign language if they had any intent on understanding what she's saying.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

Rexides posted:

So, I guess then that Togo is a veteran of the previous war, which is how she got crippled, right?

Mankai until the only thing left of you is a clenched fist around a Vertex' neck :black101:

Yeah this seems clear now. Each time a girl uses mankai she loses some element of bodily function and gains a new fairy thing. She had three to start, meaning she had gone mankai twice before. Likely one use left her unable to walk while the other gave her the memory loss.

The reveal of this show as some sort of commentary on WWII is pretty surprising and I'm really hoping it is ultimately an anti-war message rather than a history blind nationalistic one. Right now it looks mostly like the latter unfortunately, with the wounded warriors and PTSD angles being played up to sell the heroic defenders worthy of worship message. While completely ignoring Japan's own role as an aggressor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

nielsm posted:

Yup, thread title couldn't be more wrong. What a horrible life.

But is it really living if they can't choose to end their lives on their own terms? In that sense, aren't they already dead?
I mean.. what is living? :smith:

• Locked thread