Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I came here watching this because the OP made me thing Bad Things are going to happen.

Bad things haven't happened yet but by god this show makes me thing it still might happen and now I need to keep watching just in case. :ohdear:

I must've missed it but what background details do we have? Any idea what the Taisha is and what not? Speaking of Nationalism, Togo has the occasional interesting line that makes you go: :raise:

Don't know what's going on. But I think its worse sticking through, at the very least the early battles were fun. Particularly Karin with Archer's abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You know if this really is about simply what happens you stop being a magical girl and living with your injuries like a war veteran I could be okay with that.

Itsuki really got the worst injury though, she's the only one that needs to learn sign language probably.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Amstrad posted:

Well in theory they'd all need to learn sign language if they had any intent on understanding what she's saying.

Well, at a minimum she and her sister would need to learn.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Eeeeeh, I feel like they've managed to keep up some fairly good suspense. And there's some fairly heavy consequences conveyed without having to actually resort to offing characters; plus I am genuinely curious into figuring out what's happening, such as Maybe everyone is Immortal now? And the fight scenes *are* fun. Also if its a multimedia effort then perhaps we're just in the middle part of that, with more stuff after the anime.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think how horrifying this can become depends (from our perspective) whether this is an 'alternate history' or not. Because if they had the Shinto gods manifest and gave them eternal life and what's happening is the rest of the world trying to get some of that or destroy it out of spite that could range from unfortunate implications to downright horror depending on how its played out or otherwise handled.

In general we need more specifics.

This is sorta like the Kyuubei's second hand car dealership cousin offering a subpar deal. Sure they get "something" but the powers slowly degenerate you instead of letting you be an immortal lich; and its not even for something grand like reversing thermodynamics, but its because of a dick god protecting itself and putting the pawns up first.

e:

I remember something I originally wanted to say! Today I learned that Yuki Yuna is basically the anime version of Cabin in the loving Woods.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 28, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Hmm, ok. It's just that they liken the heroes and the hero system to flowers blooming and then wilting. And you can preserve a blooming flower by pressing and drying it.

I didn't make that connection!

:gonk:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

This show has really grown on me. It is dark, but not the edgy kind of dark.

And it's basically about WWII Japan and how Japanese soldiers were worshipped as gods because of their sacrifices. But it is from the perspective of the soldiers and how there is nothing glorious and sacred about their suffering. (Well, at least up until now. They can still gently caress everything up.)

Edit: It's an anti war magical girl show.

The only problem of course along with making a "anti war movie/game" is when the war is hell message gets subverted by either the medium being entertaining or the actions being justified. In this case we don't know a whole lot but the Vertixes do seem like an existential threat to their society; though I suppose an anti war message set on the Eastern front from the Soviet perspective might be analogous.

War sucks but sometimes its needed? This gets confusing at times.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

Benevolent for the greater society. There are no insinuations that their authority is illegitimate. It's a sacrifice that many people would gladly make.

Authority can be both legitimate and evil at the same time. The show can still go either way, the destroyed bridges to what appears to be mainland Japan should be concerning. The main thing that keeps me from agreeing is that the injuries are not being portrayed as a glorious sacrifice that they're happy to make nor do they seem like they are whole heartedly glad to be "sacrifices" or "offerings".

So far its been subtle and nuanced enough that I don't think we need to jump the gun just yet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not buying this as a sort of revisionist commentary on WWII, I think that's very tenuous; additionally I think its kinda bullshit to force the authors of any fictional work dealing with those tropes the responsibility of having to spell out why they were on the wrong side of history because of their nationality.

If I wrote a story of Canadian themed space explorers charting unknown space and trading with sentient alien space elves, I think it would be an unfair criticism that I didn't take the time to spell out "Yo man, hanging Louis Riel (my ancestor by the way) was kinda a lovely thing to do."

Shinto themed magical girls defending themselves and their society from the Other doesn't automatically make it a WWII revisionist work; I can agree its a possible interpretation that the work is sorta trending towards but it isn't there yet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phobophilia posted:

There exists alot of magical girl shows out there, and most of them don't use this kind of nationalistic and WW2 imagery. This one does.

It's like if the Stargate was used to colonise other worlds, and they started using colonialist or native american imagery in the meantime, and they wholeheartedly took the side of the colonists. Then people would jump the gently caress on them as well. But Stargate was mostly exploratory and diplomatic, so no one comes out of it going Colonialism Is Okay.

You can judge American sci fi through the same lens as well. Some don't use these themes at all. Some happily take the side of the oppressor. Some hand wring. These, like YYY, are also worthy of consideration.

The thing is if its being used as a criticism rather than a consideration then I just feel a higher standard is needed, not just "Well there are themes that kinda match." Lots of things kinda match; if the show was actively trying to advance a revisionist agenda regarding Japan's role in WWII I feel it would be more noticeable and far less nuanced then the show so far has been advancing.

I can buy that there's some themes certainly present but whether its advancing a revisionist/ultranationalist world view is what I'm skeptical of.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well that got went some dark places there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
To look back at the WWII themes if there was a direction to really look down along I think it would be kamikaze pilots who was also deceived into sacrificing life and limb for a cause that from a certain perspective is worth fighting for.

I'm glad to see more that The Taisha are pretty skeazy and might very well be antagonists themselves, depending on which direction this show goes.

We still don't know enough!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like how Togo though is one of those 100% determined characters in that she would have absolutely have been okay with it had she been able to succeed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

With all the nationalism, state shintoism and so on in this show, it is likely that the author was intending to say something about imperial Japan and WWII. And then going the route of war is hosed without saying much about Japan's responsibility is weak. But not unexpected as others have already posted in this threat.

Yeah no, there is extremely little substance to this being any kind of narrative link or allusion to Japan's role in the Pacific War; what little substance there is could maybe be comparable to the conscripted Kamikaze pilots.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar; "we" only really got this impression we're foreigners so everyday aspects of Japanese culture probably raise the same sort of concerns seen here Germans feels feel here.

We have here a bonafide cosmic horror story where human existence is pointless and inevitably doomed for all its worth lets not ruin it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Vegeta: Mankai is bullshit. :mad:

Still though, I wonder if they're going to go for some sort of third option ending where they manage to end the Vertex threat for good, because it sure as hell seems kinda pointless and they'll break through eventually to wipe us out. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Command Ant posted:

Also, if someone could explain to me where they're seeing the nationalism/WWII correlations in this show, I'd appreciate it, because I'm not seeing any of that, and all this talk of nationalism and revisionism is coming off as absurd to me.

Basically its because we're foreign and don't know any better. Its kind of how Prussian Militerism became taboo in Germany and German nationalism in general became the dog whistle for Nazism in WWII and people just sorta assume that because Japan didn't quite go through a similar process people assume any Japanese cultural expression is similar, an expression of historical revisionism of Japan's role in WWII.

Which is bollocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Still a little confused why the god tree thing decided to let go of them in the end.

• Locked thread