Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

nielsm posted:

Oh hey, there's the despair. Finally!

I would've been surprised if it wouldn't have happened at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Denial — As the reality of loss is hard to face, one of the first reactions to follow the loss is Denial. The person is trying to shut out the reality or magnitude of his/her situation, and begins to develop a false, preferable reality.

And next is anger...

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Kylra posted:

So what's the verdict now? Is it genuinely worth watching other than as a timefiller?

Maybe? It all depends on the next episodes. But this show is good at keeping people guessing without any bullshit tricks.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I liked how they created that feeling of unease in the previous episodes. It was a nice slow buildup. And now I really want to know what happens next.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, well, well:
http://i.imgur.com/P497iw0.jpg
(Could be considered a spoiler?)

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmm, ok. It's just that they liken the heroes and the hero system to flowers blooming and then wilting. And you can preserve a blooming flower by pressing and drying it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This show has really grown on me. It is dark, but not the edgy kind of dark.

And it's basically about WWII Japan and how Japanese soldiers were worshipped as gods because of their sacrifices. But it is from the perspective of the soldiers and how there is nothing glorious and sacred about their suffering. (Well, at least up until now. They can still gently caress everything up.)

Edit: It's an anti war magical girl show.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 1, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh... What the gently caress? I shouldn't be surprised though.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, I can see that being a problem for this show. But maybe they'll get it right.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmmm.

In magical girl shows you always have the monster of the week that attacks. So the genre conventions might have a(n) (unintended?) negative impact on its message.

I don't think the Taisha are shown as benevolent at all. They are constantly lying to the girls while the girls desperately cling to their belief that the Taisha are benevolent. The Taisha tried to prevent Sonoko from telling them the truth after all.

Then you have how the girls deal with their disabilities. They try to keep on with their daily routines as if it's not a big deal, but below the surface you can feel how badly they are affected.

Maybe it's my wishful thinking, but I still have hope.

Or it will be the usual 'War is bad in general' message without any criticism of Japanese aggression.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, as of this moment it could still go either way.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 2, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What a sad episode. It was great.

And the preview to the next episode is pretty dark. I'm really unsure what will happen next. This show keeps you guessing. In a good, non-obnoxious way.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Episode was good. But I'm also disappointed that this show is going the usual route of Japan dealing with it's past.

Edit:

But on the other hand, maybe it's this:

quote:

The outer Gods are actually trying to save humanity from Shinju-sama. What Tougou saw beyond the barrier was just another of its many lies and illusions.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 11, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

With all the nationalism, state shintoism and so on in this show, it is likely that the author was intending to say something about imperial Japan and WWII. And then going the route of war is hosed without saying much about Japan's responsibility is weak. But not unexpected as others have already posted in this threat.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Snow Halation posted:

Not everything is always about WWII.

I'm from Germany.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Bittersweet ending incoming.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Aw, poor Karin. :(

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Yeah, poor Karin. :cry:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I feel horrible for laughing at that.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

A beautiful and toiching ending. Going for a happy end was the right choice. And I'm glad that the pacing also worked out in the end.

I'm also not sure how everything is supposed to work from now on. Even Sonoko seems to be able to heal now. And why are there no more attacks? Or are some other poor girls doing the sacrificing now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh... ohhhhh... poor Yuna. :(

• Locked thread