Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
Suggested thread title:
Yuki Yuna is a Hero: Something interesting might happen next episode.

It's how I would summarize the entire series up to this point, it's a master class in how to not actually commit to anything interesting. Who knows if they'll keep that up to the end, or even just go out with something boring. Given how largely generic it's been, I wonder if they even have the writing skill for anything good. Tiny details in bylines in the seventh episode, yet I have a hard to believing they will really amount to anything at this point.

EDIT: Spent time attempting to dig for spoilers on the light novels and prequel light novels, something good may come out of it yet is what I'll limit myself to saying. Though they've still spent more than half of the show with little to show for it.

Ztarlit_Sky fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
And it only took them more than half the series to actually go somewhere with payoff. Though now the question is if there's anything to follow it up. Here's for hoping that this doesn't turn into a plain "Sacrificing is good for everybody else" solution, I wouldn't really like that much. Especially with the rather patriarchical bent to the thematic side of that. Considering that the staff apparently wanted to make a magical girl show "with a twist", it seems quite possible that the negative consequences are the twist and that's it.
I guess the best solution for them is to now try and die in combat, if they even can with Mankai around.

I can't say I really buy into the notion of this being specifically evocative of the war rhetoric, though I can somewhat understand where that's coming from. For me there's just too little information on anything going on outside of the little world presented. It even uses imagery to specifically indicate the isolation such as destroyed bridges, the "line" in the rainbow tree world, and so on. It's also not been explained at all what Vertexes are and if they really would be harmful, what that tree actually is and more. The only source of information on anything is actively deceitful and thus all information is suspect.

Hm, funny, Mai-HiME also took about half the series to go somewhere, but it did a lot better past the halfway point. Maybe it'll turn around.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
Well, that certainly was on the unexpected side. Not really getting the vibe that Togo can succeed, and the threat itself doesn't look like it can be stopped either unless things go far beyond the previous scale. So Yuuna will probably have to convince her, maybe after some people get offed.

It's kind of funny how this would have probably gone differently had they not kept a lot of secrets from them, deliberately lied and kidnapped them as children too...

So basically, I'm still on the fence and it depends on how they'll go from here and what they actually do with the reveal. Curious how long the series has stretched that feeling.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
Well, this was rather underwhelming ultimately. It took far too long to even get anywhere, and then most moments left me feeling that there was a more interesting alternative they did not take. It would have benefited from fewer, and more concisely written episodes up front, and a larger extension for development towards the end. And the ending needs some actual explanation after the exposition of the world. It doesn't have one.

Togo's switch back was also seriously cut short and really ultimately amounted to a hug and a punch and some talking about ~feelings~. This really should have been handled much better, as Togo becoming an antagonist was actually quite a nice idea. And I disagree with an earlier poster, an ending where Togo "wins" before changing her mind could have been a lot more interesting than this underexplained thing. But tragic endings have a way of reducing sales and turning people off.

I guess the show is ultimately okay, but could have been a lot better than it is. Though I suppose they were limited by the source material in what they could do. Maybe I should watch Madoka again.

• Locked thread