Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah as buggy and unoptimized as AC games can be, at least the games tend to be finished and not have huge amounts of content cut out from time and budget constraints because the publisher want to focus on stupid little gambling machines instead of games now. People tend to lavish praise on MGS V on the first half and then really sour on it on the second half because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
right, story trailer dropped. looks like a guy richie movie, which is ok with me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GXqBOw-8n8

also karl marx is in the game as a quest giver.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

a bad trailer for a bad game

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So they basically took the entirety of Daniel Day Lewis's character from Gangs of New York and made him the templar gang leader?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Haha, that first scene. "Subtlety, what's that?"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
This game looks pretty bad.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
That's pretty pitiful. Really just reinforces that when Patrice left after Brotherhood, they didn't have a loving clue what to do with this series, and just do other people's pop culture. More and more Black Flag just looks like blind luck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That trailer talked me out of buying the game, so thanks for that I guess!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The lady's voice is kinda bad

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I wonder if they're aiming for low expectations this time so the narrative is "well that was better than I expected"

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

right, story trailer dropped. looks like a guy richie movie, which is ok with me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GXqBOw-8n8

also karl marx is in the game as a quest giver.

You know, if this didn't have the AssCreed name and probably its mechanics too... I'd be kind of hype for it.

An open world Gangs of New York/Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes game? Sign me up.

This? gently caress no.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Looks like Amazon is having a sale on digital versions of Assassin's Creed games. Black Flag is $16 (Steam or Uplay key, you choose), Rogue is down to $12.50 again (Uplay only). I had bought Rouge the last time it was on sale this low, and thankfully had no problems with the Uplay version, but if you buy any of them remember to turn cloud saving off on Uplay, seemed to be a problem for many.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Deakul posted:

You know, if this didn't have the AssCreed name and probably its mechanics too... I'd be kind of hype for it.

An open world Gangs of New York/Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes game? Sign me up.

This? gently caress no.

Yeah, like the concept of starting form nothing and slowly taking over the incumbent bad gangs of the city by being a bigger badass/inspiration than the current evil big bosses sounds like a great concept.

But this is Ubisoft, so the "takeover" will be a combination of completing a heavily scripted boss fight or the same combination of shallow minigames repeated about 50 times across the excessive number of highly detailed districts across the city.

That's basically Ubisofts MO:
Coming up with an interesting concept
Making a well executed small starting "tutorial" region that covers every single concept (re: minigame) the title will include.
Creation of an expansive and highly detailed city that takes the majority of the 1 year budget/time.
Copy & paste tutorial area until map is full.
Randomly add 100's pointless collectibles across the map.
Release "game".
Receive 90+ reviews from every dicksucking "professional reviewer" looking to stay in the publishers good books.

Edit: The ideal way the city takeover thing should be done on next gen consoles is through a series of things such as taking out big bad guys, but also poo poo like how you act. So, making financial contributions to certain regions to sway the public in your favour. The assassination of certain influential bad guys identified via detectivey actions (i.e. a followup to gaining influence with the public who then give you info like this) leading to a morale breaking/allegiance shift. All of this tying into a local gang getting weaker in some way such as losing their weapons because their armourer is now on your side.

Hell, you could even incorporate stuff like in Shadows of Mordor where after turning one guy, though gameplay only, you help elevate him into a higher position in his gang which in turn leads to them all becoming your allies.

I don't expect any of this to be in the new AC game.

Kin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 26, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This game aches for the nemesis system, indeed. I'm surprised that it was only in development for a year, though!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kin posted:

Hell, you could even incorporate stuff like in Shadows of Mordor where after turning one guy, though gameplay only, you help elevate him into a higher position in his gang which in turn leads to them all becoming your allies.

the only way you could really promote a dude in Shadows of Mordor was to get repeatedly killed by him

I can see why that might be a problem in a series where your character probably isn't immortal.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

ayn rand hand job posted:

the only way you could really promote a dude in Shadows of Mordor was to get repeatedly killed by him

I can see why that might be a problem in a series where your character probably isn't immortal.

Pretty sure you could also promote him by killing his immediate superior.

edit: and if not then consider it a logical evolution that Ubisoft should have the money to develop and integrate into an assassination based game.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

You could promote a dude by killing his superiors in Shadow of Mordor and to trigger the change you just had to advance time in one of the towers. If you were only able to influence the hierarchy tree by getting killed then you really sucked at the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also all the lieutenants were running missions of their own, so if you went to those missions and helped them it would also improve their rank

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The main picture on the wikipedia page for the word villain:

Great and original character design as always Ubi. I don't know if they could have fitted more cliched dialogue with weak comebacks into that trailer. I don't know if the villains could even be more Bond-villainy than in that trailer. Wow, this guy killed a dude for interrupting him playing the piano and this other dude is a pre-anasthesiology-era surgeon, now I can feel good about killing them and also about forcing people to "work for us" because we're good so that's also good. Not one, but two protagonists hanging on one hand at the last second of an action scene.

It's all so cookie-cutter, I know it's just a trailer but drat - Unity looked more original and exciting than this...thing. It's like an action game: the action gaming but instead of being self-aware like Marlow Briggs it's dead cringeworthy serious.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 26, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Will Syndicate even have "stealth" ?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Subjunctive posted:

This game aches for the nemesis system, indeed. I'm surprised that it was only in development for a year, though!

No AC title is only in development for a year. They have different teams working on them and they're staggered. Syndicate likely started development after Black Flag.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kin posted:

Yeah, like the concept of starting form nothing and slowly taking over the incumbent bad gangs of the city by being a bigger badass/inspiration than the current evil big bosses sounds like a great concept.

But this is Ubisoft, so the "takeover" will be a combination of completing a heavily scripted boss fight or the same combination of shallow minigames repeated about 50 times across the excessive number of highly detailed districts across the city.

That's basically Ubisofts MO:
Coming up with an interesting concept
Making a well executed small starting "tutorial" region that covers every single concept (re: minigame) the title will include.
Creation of an expansive and highly detailed city that takes the majority of the 1 year budget/time.
Copy & paste tutorial area until map is full.
Randomly add 100's pointless collectibles across the map.
Release "game".
Receive 90+ reviews from every dicksucking "professional reviewer" looking to stay in the publishers good books.

Edit: The ideal way the city takeover thing should be done on next gen consoles is through a series of things such as taking out big bad guys, but also poo poo like how you act. So, making financial contributions to certain regions to sway the public in your favour. The assassination of certain influential bad guys identified via detectivey actions (i.e. a followup to gaining influence with the public who then give you info like this) leading to a morale breaking/allegiance shift. All of this tying into a local gang getting weaker in some way such as losing their weapons because their armourer is now on your side.

I don't expect any of this to be in the new AC game.

apparently that's what mafia 3 is doing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

If you're cool with going a wee bit into spoiler town for the beginning of the game, here's a pretty good quick look.

Doesn't look bad, per say. The map looked surprisingly devoid of collectables, I mean...they were clearly there but not to the level of Unity.

I love Evie :3:.

Oh, and we're going back to the AC2/Brohood white style Animus...working as an Assassin in modern day perhaps?

Doesn't look amazing, just looks blandly Assassins Creed-ish. I'll probably get it if the PC reviews are favourable.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Snuffman posted:

Oh, and we're going back to the AC2/Brohood white style Animus...working as an Assassin in modern day perhaps?

They have said that modern-day is back in this game and starting a new chapter in the plot line. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

macnbc posted:

No AC title is only in development for a year. They have different teams working on them and they're staggered. Syndicate likely started development after Black Flag.

I can bet you anything that work only began on Syndicate some time last year.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Snuffman posted:

If you're cool with going a wee bit into spoiler town for the beginning of the game, here's a pretty good quick look.

Doesn't look bad, per say. The map looked surprisingly devoid of collectables, I mean...they were clearly there but not to the level of Unity.

Doesn't look amazing, just looks blandly Assassins Creed-ish. I'll probably get it if the PC reviews are favourable.

I guess ill be the sad fanboy of the thread and say i like what i see so far.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah that story trailer was kind of whatever but the gameplay looks like it could be decent. The combat looks really rough, though. I hope that's just because of inexperienced preview players.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Deakul posted:

I can bet you anything that work only began on Syndicate some time last year.

Revelations was done in approximately 11 months (lead guy on the game has said so publicly, I'm not just assuming) but it and Brotherhood re-used a ton of assets and were considerably shorter than any other games in the series except Rogue. Their existence as sort of stalling for time is basically what allowed the series to do a staggered schedule and come out annually.

With as much side content as the games have today, it's silly to think that they started on the game just last year. Hell, I'd imagine the mocap alone takes more time than just recording voices in a booth used to.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I guess ill be the sad fanboy of the thread and say i like what i see so far.

Yeah, same, more or less. After watching the story trailer, I feel exactly the same as I did before—I just can't get excited about London, but it looks like a reasonably fun romp unless the gameplay shits the bed. The trailer isn't super compelling, but it just seems like a bullet point summary of the twins' goals at the beginning of the game, before the bad guys and plot get more complex/convoluted (depending on your perspective) like they always do.

On a different note, a friend linked me to a video yesterday and I'm pleased to see that Desmond will appear in Syndicate. Desmond is the name of some lady's corgi.:3:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

macnbc posted:

That's what I figured, I must have misunderstood the post I was replying to.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm more positive about this then Unity, Unity from the moment we got the first details sounded like the worst way they could do that setting.

Seriously, how wasted is Unity? That setting... :negative:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I thought the city was really excellent, shame about literally everything else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

effervescible posted:

Revelations was done in approximately 11 months (lead guy on the game has said so publicly, I'm not just assuming) but it and Brotherhood re-used a ton of assets and were considerably shorter than any other games in the series except Rogue. Their existence as sort of stalling for time is basically what allowed the series to do a staggered schedule and come out annually.

With as much side content as the games have today, it's silly to think that they started on the game just last year. Hell, I'd imagine the mocap alone takes more time than just recording voices in a booth used to.

Yeah, same, more or less. After watching the story trailer, I feel exactly the same as I did before—I just can't get excited about London, but it looks like a reasonably fun romp unless the gameplay shits the bed. The trailer isn't super compelling, but it just seems like a bullet point summary of the twins' goals at the beginning of the game, before the bad guys and plot get more complex/convoluted (depending on your perspective) like they always do.

On a different note, a friend linked me to a video yesterday and I'm pleased to see that Desmond will appear in Syndicate. Desmond is the name of some lady's corgi.:3:

see i liked the trailer. i get why people didnt, but i like that guy ritchie/gangs of new yorks, the baddies are evil rich uncaring fucks idea. i like simple stories sometimes. but like you said if the gameplay isnt poo poo, it looks fun.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I don't really like the constant fiddling in the background music. That would really get on my nerves after a few hours.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not sure if this has been posted already, but I saw a preview the other day saying you could switch between Jacob and Evie in a similar way to switching between Trevor/Michael/Franklin in GTA V. Their take on it was that you essentially had freedom to choose which of the pair you wanted to use, and that Jacob was the "frontal assault" guy while Evie was more "sneak in the back door" style.

That sounds semi-interesting on paper, but we'll see how it actually pans out in practice. At least it explains why the "assassin" Jacob in all the trailers is just brawling with people constantly!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

webmeister posted:

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I saw a preview the other day saying you could switch between Jacob and Evie in a similar way to switching between Trevor/Michael/Franklin in GTA V. Their take on it was that you essentially had freedom to choose which of the pair you wanted to use, and that Jacob was the "frontal assault" guy while Evie was more "sneak in the back door" style.

That sounds semi-interesting on paper, but we'll see how it actually pans out in practice. At least it explains why the "assassin" Jacob in all the trailers is just brawling with people constantly!

From a preview I read, its not as graceful as GTA5. You have to back out to the main menu to switch characters around and in the end you're really just picking the character you play as for freeroam. The actual missions have set PCs.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I dunno, I like the trailer.

Both characters seem to fill roles Ubisoft has been pushing, main dude seems to be silly/carefree/who gives a gently caress like Ezio and Edward, Evie seems to be a bit more structured/goal orientated like Conner/Shay/Altair. Seems like they are pandering to both crowds, but it also means I can have a jackass good guy character again.

"Kill everyone in London to get at the big bads" worked just fine in AssCreed 2, and despite being pretty simple is a far better plot device then whatever the hell the plot was in 3/Unity.

The idea of gang takeover being a major mechanic, as well as the big bad underlings having zones they control you can weaken by murdering their key buddies/them is probably going to be a shallow experience, but not an unfun one. Hell, Crackdown managed to get a sequel entirely off the strength of that mechanic, shallow as it was there.

I dunno. You can rightfully throw a lot of accusations at Ubisoft, but the one thing they've always done is listen and change systems based off player feedback. When everyone said the best thing they could do after Far Cry 3 was make more Far Cry 3, they did just that. When people said Conner was trash/AC3 was bad, they completely changed the formula, and got rid of the things people didn't like the most. When people said they didn't like how Conviction played, they went back to the drawing board and went out of their way to make stealth/"old" Splinter Cell gameplay modern and fun again for Blacklist.

Syndicate will be their first chance to prove themselves after Unity, and I doubt they are just going to take a steaming poo poo on everyone's plate to kill their golden goose franchise because they have no other options.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
After all this time, is Unity still poo poo though (bugs and companion app poo poo ironed out?) I bought it for 20 on a PSN because I'm actually interested in Syndicate and I'd like to at least say I experienced the story, whatever that might be. I picked up Unity at release and I probably put it down after a week and haven't looked back until this weekend. That being said, I'm having more fun this time around. Maybe my tolerance for bullshit has gotten more forgiving, I don't know.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I never had many bugs, but everything I've heard has said they patched them out and you don't need the companion app to get special stuff anymore. If it had launched this way, I suspect it still would have gotten criticism (it's certainly not perfect), but as it was every negative aspect, including more minor ones, got magnified. I dunno, I can see why people would dislike design decisions like no whistling and skills being locked away, but I see people talk like every single part of the game was 100% bad and it just seems like overblown complaining.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Who Dat posted:

After all this time, is Unity still poo poo though (bugs and companion app poo poo ironed out?) I bought it for 20 on a PSN because I'm actually interested in Syndicate and I'd like to at least say I experienced the story, whatever that might be. I picked up Unity at release and I probably put it down after a week and haven't looked back until this weekend. That being said, I'm having more fun this time around. Maybe my tolerance for bullshit has gotten more forgiving, I don't know.

Most of the bugs have been ironed out but it still isn't a very good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Snuffman posted:

This looks like it's not taking itself seriously at all and is hitting just the right levels of stupidity. Now I wanna play this poo poo :buddy:

• Locked thread