Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

macnbc posted:

I'll be the "AC Modern Day Storyline defender" again.

I like the modern day stuff. I like how it has an overarching narrative. I liked the Subject 16 puzzles in AC2 and Brotherhood and I liked sneaking around the Abstergo offices hacking poo poo in AC4. It's actually a major reason why I keep coming back each year.

Having said that, I get it's not for everyone. I thought AC4 did it best with keeping the mandatory modern-day stuff to a minimum, but having quite a bit of stuff to find if you wanted to.

But every time I see someone say "I wish they'd just give up on the animus stuff" I think "You can take it from my cold dead hands." :colbert:

I'll admit I've always liked it too. Obviously it's not always well implemented, but it gives the overarching storyline an additional hook and allows for silly stuff like WW2 missions in a game ostensibly set in the French Revolution. I can't really say I'll miss Desmond but I'm glad they're keeping the modern day stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Has preload started for ps4 yet? With rest mode fuckery I want to make sure I power up long enough to download

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Will Rogue have shanties?

this is important

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When you think about it, we're all just 2d side scrollers.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

When you think about it, we're all just 2d side scrollers.

Speak for yourself, I'm 4D (this is funny if you're vaguely familiar with internationally popular Korean slang)

Anyway, I love the modern-day stuff a lot and I wish they did more like the puzzles in AC2 as well as the loving around computer files from Black Flag, because those were the two implementations I enjoyed the most. It seems like glyphs are returning, at least, which is maybe a good sign?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Will Rogue have shanties?

this is important

YES!

New shanties can be heard in the gameplay videos posted!

Jolly Roving Tar already confirmed*

*totally serious. May not match the version in game.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Now that the modern day storyline apparently allows for time glitches so you can kill Nazis during the French Revolution, you are a monster if you don't like it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLotX3HE-4c

This is the only sea shanty you need.

NSFW as balls

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Aphrodite posted:

Now that the modern day storyline apparently allows for time glitches so you can kill Nazis during the French Revolution, you are a monster if you don't like it.

What, holy crap, link to this? This sounds awesome.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

AC4 was the only good asscreed game in the series and this just sounds like monkeycheese bullshit. Prolly still buy this lovely game because I'm dumb as hell.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
A game series that features, as a plot point, a sci-fi machine that lets you explore different times in the past, can suffer glitches that causes different times to bleed together. Yup, sure sounds like totally obnoxious random monkey-cheese bullshit to me. Boy, Ubisoft sure is stretching with that one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

A game series that features, as a plot point, a sci-fi machine that lets you explore different times in the past, can suffer glitches that causes different times to bleed together. Yup, sure sounds like totally obnoxious random monkey-cheese bullshit to me. Boy, Ubisoft sure is stretching with that one.

sounds like it'll handle timetravel bleeds way better than Bioshock Infinite, honestly anything is better than Desmond And Alien Friends Save Earth. If this leads to tanks showing up to Custer's Last Stand while the Wright Brothers are testing their plane in the same field, so be it, I'll gladly take that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What do we know about the story of the game?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Can I build my character for stealth stabbing only and thus not have to walk around carrying a whole arsenal of weapons I never plan to use?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Blind Sally posted:

What, holy crap, link to this? This sounds awesome.

They mean this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW_-exDp3CE

Kurtofan posted:

So this thread is for both AC games coming out next week. Which game do you mean?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can I build my character for stealth stabbing only and thus not have to walk around carrying a whole arsenal of weapons I never plan to use?

Yeeeeessss? Sort of but probably not really, from what I'm aware of.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

macnbc posted:

They mean this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW_-exDp3CE

So this thread is for both AC games coming out next week. Which game do you mean?

Unity.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Have there been many story game play videos I'm curious how many missions will involve following some dude and listening to his dumb conversation only to be spotted and have to do it again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

socialsecurity posted:

Have there been many story game play videos I'm curious how many missions will involve following some dude and listening to his dumb conversation only to be spotted and have to do it again.

well in Unity. they took out the insta-fail stealth/follow dude missions. now you can either follow them, if you get seen it turns into a chase, or you can just shank the fucker and search his body for intel. rogue, i am not sure yet.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I've already bought, played and enjoyed every AssCreed game since 1 so I already know I'm grabbing this because I have a problem :shepicide:.

But am I the only one who's excited for more Haytham Kenway appearing? He was my favorite character in 3 and I kind of wish he was the main protagonist instead of Connor.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

We know that the story involves Arno, whose father was an Assassin but was killed, and was then subsequently raised by a Templar family.

Somehow somewhere along the line he learns about his family and decides he wants to be an Assassin too. This is supposedly complicated by his girlfriend being a Templar.

Interviews with devs have indicated that as far as the French Revolution goes, it's going to be more background material than the American revolution was in AC3. Arno is more going to be navigating around and within it instead of being Forrest Gump like Connor was.

Don Gato posted:

But am I the only one who's excited for more Haytham Kenway appearing? He was my favorite character in 3 and I kind of wish he was the main protagonist instead of Connor.

I'm actually way more interested in the story of Rogue than Unity at this point. If you look at all the deleted content from AC3 and the backstory on Haytham that got written by Ubisoft for AC Initiates, it feels like he was a way more complex and interesting character than they made him out to be in AC3. (Example: According to Initiates He found out about the Templars killing daddy Edward, so basically turned the North American templars into a splinter cell that answered only to him.) So I'm looking forward to a chance to flesh him out a bit.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 4, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Blind Sally posted:

exactly

Kurtofan posted:

Like every asscreed game, its incomprehensible garbage that tries to have a "twist" while winking and nudging at you the entire time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

That looks awesome.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Eponymous posted:

Yeah... He totally dies at the end of AC3. In AC4 you find video of Abstergo dudes cutting the heart out of his corpse, so he's probably not coming back. The way they handled AC4, where the animus stuff was relatively short and non-obtrusive, leads me to believe that they're listening to feedback and are using it as more background from now on.

I hate how they handled te modern day stuff in AC4. It was just so incredibly obnoxious: you're this douchy rear end in a top hat working in the douchiest place possible, carrying an ipad along everywhere, and they still shoehorned those two massively annoying hacker and historian twats into the story. And your character had to do everything that other voice who called you all the time wanted him to because of unclear, stupid reasons.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I hate how they handled te modern day stuff in AC4. It was just so incredibly obnoxious: you're this douchy rear end in a top hat working in the douchiest place possible, carrying an ipad along everywhere, and they still shoehorned those two massively annoying hacker and historian twats into the story. And your character had to do everything that other voice who called you all the time wanted him to because of unclear, stupid reasons.

The modern day protagonist was the player. We are all the douchy rear end in a top hat.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Calaveron posted:

And your character had to do everything that other voice who called you all the time wanted him to because of unclear, stupid reasons.

I don't think it was that unclear in the game. The other voice posed as Abstergo's IT guy, and he asked you to help him out with something. That something turned out to be "highly illegal", and he recorded you doing it for blackmail. You do what he says the rest of the game so he doesn't turn it over to Abstergo/the cops. What's unclear/stupid there?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Calaveron posted:

The stupidest part for me was that this all-seeing, all-knowing company had it's two biggest threats working RIGHT THERE IN THE LOBBY and USING THEIR REAL NAMES :ughh:

Hey wow it's Shaun the sarcastic coffee guy, haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Blind Sally posted:

That looks awesome.

Just make sure you don't take any damage when you're driving the Panzer around.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Inept posted:

The system requirements for Unity for PC are hilarious. I haven't played an AC game in a while, but thought this one might be worth it for the co-op. Then I saw that the minimum GPU for this game is a GTX 680.

I'm sure it'll be a great port.

Holy poo poo :stare: I've got a 7950 and this is the first time I can ever remember not having a PC not meet the minimum requirements for a game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

webmeister posted:

The stupidest part for me was that this all-seeing, all-knowing company had it's two biggest threats working RIGHT THERE IN THE LOBBY and USING THEIR REAL NAMES :ughh:

Hey wow it's Shaun the sarcastic coffee guy, haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Yeah, I did think that was a little weird, but it seemed like for the most part, the building itself was mostly host to a lot of people who had no idea about the whole Templar thing. Even the CFO was completely clueless, which is why later in the game he gets taken out back at a conference and shot.

... Which, of course, adds an entirely new level of contrivance because why wouldn't you just fire his rear end and replace him with someone you can actually control instead of abducting him, but whatev'. As long as the modern day poo poo means that Ubisoft will eventually develop an Assassins Creed title that discards the historical pretense and lets me gently caress around in a major city and its outlying suburbs, I'll be happy.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

As long as the modern day poo poo means that Ubisoft will eventually develop an Assassins Creed title that discards the historical pretense and lets me gently caress around in a major city and its outlying suburbs, I'll be happy.

AC2, then?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, I did think that was a little weird, but it seemed like for the most part, the building itself was mostly host to a lot of people who had no idea about the whole Templar thing. Even the CFO was completely clueless, which is why later in the game he gets taken out back at a conference and shot.

... Which, of course, adds an entirely new level of contrivance because why wouldn't you just fire his rear end and replace him with someone you can actually control instead of abducting him, but whatev'. As long as the modern day poo poo means that Ubisoft will eventually develop an Assassins Creed title that discards the historical pretense and lets me gently caress around in a major city and its outlying suburbs, I'll be happy.

I think the CFO does know and its implied you give Shaun his travel plans, so he gets gacked by assassins or something.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

webmeister posted:

lmao they made the sarcastic geek a villain?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Do we know what the mandatory IRL component of Unity is like? Praying it's even less involved than AC4's.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kurtofan posted:

lmao they made the sarcastic geek a villain?

No he means threats to Abstergo. Those 2 are still the same dorks they always were.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

webmeister posted:

Actually I think no. Abstergo has never seen him before.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Holy poo poo :stare: I've got a 7950 and this is the first time I can ever remember not having a PC not meet the minimum requirements for a game.

This is going to be another Crysis: A game no one plays till two years after it was released.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Actually I think no. Abstergo has never seen him before.

I don't know about Shaun, but whasn't whatshername raised completely off the grid like Desmond? There's nothing for Abstergo to track in that case, so unless she does whatever Desmond did to get caught they're probably not going to do anything to her because they don't even know who she is.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Now you can smell like rear endassins while playing Assassin's Creed!

Yes, it's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

macnbc posted:

Now you can smell like rear endassins while playing Assassin's Creed!

Yes, it's real.
Haha, that's even sillier than the silliest Japanese cross-promotion I have ever seen. (warning: anime as hell)

• Locked thread