Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
I wonder what kind of friendly fire there is in free roam/coop missions. If I see anyone wearing that they're getting shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Aphrodite posted:

Actually I think no. Abstergo has never seen him before.

If I remember correctly, there's literally a giant safety warning on those view screens saying "WATCH OUT FOR THESE TWO POTENTIAL SPIES" with Shaun and Rebecca's faces plastered right on it. The guy who works in the coffee shop directly along the path from the front door to the main elevator that leads to the entire rest of the building, and the courier who routinely walks up to Shaun and has long, sarcastic, loud conversations in front of everyone.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Well,it's the Canadian office. You can't just arrest them at work, that'd be exceedingly rude.

E for content: Team behind Liberation is doing Rogue, right? Unless Liberation HD was a significant improvement I'll probably be able to skip Rogue. I won't because I love this dumb series, but I should.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 5, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Haha, that's even sillier than the silliest Japanese cross-promotion I have ever seen. (warning: anime as hell)

I was really disappointed when this wasn't something stupid like Magical Girl Assassin Robes.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Haythem was such a cool character, I'm glad they're bringing him back in Rogue.

I liked the modern day stuff, it was a nice meta plot to the historical stuff and gave us the crazy Subject 16 things.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
New Unity trailer up today This one runs about 7 minutes and goes through all of the new features. Nothing new here but a good summary if you haven't been following a lot of the press, and also gives a little more detail on things like the time anomalies.

It also has a really annoying narrator.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Insert long whistle for this shot.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

If I remember correctly, there's literally a giant safety warning on those view screens saying "WATCH OUT FOR THESE TWO POTENTIAL SPIES" with Shaun and Rebecca's faces plastered right on it. The guy who works in the coffee shop directly along the path from the front door to the main elevator that leads to the entire rest of the building, and the courier who routinely walks up to Shaun and has long, sarcastic, loud conversations in front of everyone.

In rear end 3 during the Brazil level, I moved Desmond right next to a poster of himself in the train station, then I left the game running while I picked up my sister at the train station. When I got back, not only was I standing in the same place, not arrested, but all the NPCs were clumped together bumping into the turnstiles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
In rear end 3 during the Brazil level, the event flag for the scene where the hitman shows up and kills the chick with the battery core never got thrown. I spent the next thirty minutes looking around for where the hell he was supposed to be while NPCs ran around screaming as if the scene had happened.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Black flag was a great pirate game but a terrible assassin's creed game, so I'm looking forward to this. Black flag also felt like a series of interconnected mobile phone games so this looks promising.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Should I play Rogue before Unity? Or does it really not matter?

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Probably won't matter one whit.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

In rear end 3 during the Brazil level, the event flag for the scene where the hitman shows up and kills the chick with the battery core never got thrown. I spent the next thirty minutes looking around for where the hell he was supposed to be while NPCs ran around screaming as if the scene had happened.

The Brazil level took me four tries to beat because that stupid hitman never spawned. Hopefully Unity and Rogue aren't even close to being that buggy.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Yeah the stories are in different parts of the world and in different time periods so order isn't important.

Also, free AC Unity DLC: http://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/2lf38l/free_unity_dlc/

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Story-wise Rogue will be dealing with stuff between AC3->4, where Unity is the proper next step in the story. If that means anything to you.

But Unity has no naval combat, where Rogue will, so if you're a big fan of the boat thing you'll want to jump on Rogue at some point. I'm gonna let it ride out and see if we get lucky getting a PS4 version somewhere down the road. As much as I am a fan of the series, I find too much play will put me in a sour mood. I think the little frustrating things start to get to me.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I'm really torn on this still. I'm leaning towards playing Rogue first for 3 reasons:

1. Chronologically it takes place before Unity
2. Its gameplay is based off of AC4, where Unity has a bunch of its systems overhauled and redesigned. I think I'll have a hard time going back to "the old way" after playing the revamped version.
3. I think the story sounds more interesting

However, Unity is clearly the flagship title this year and the one Ubisoft has spent the majority of its time and money on it rather than Rogue.

I think it comes down to personal preference.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 6, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lothire posted:

Story-wise Rogue will be dealing with stuff between AC3->4, where Unity is the proper next step in the story. If that means anything to you.

But Unity has no naval combat, where Rogue will

Oh, too bad! They could've taken advantage of the co-op aspect and gone old-school multiplayer where one guy pilots, and everyone else mans the guns. Then again, while I'm not too familiar with the French Revolution era aside from Dickens, I kinda get the impression that there wasn't a lot of naval combat involved.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

macnbc posted:

I'm really torn on this still. I'm leaning towards playing Rogue first for 3 reasons:

1. Chronologically it takes place before Unity
2. Its gameplay is based off of AC4, where Unity has a bunch of its systems overhauled and redesigned. I think I'll have a hard time going back to "the old way" after playing the revamped version.
3. I think the story sounds more interesting

However, Unity is clearly the flagship title this year and the one Ubisoft has spent the majority of its time and money on it rather than Rogue.

I think it comes down to personal preference.

Yeah, I agree. It'll be a shame not to be playing the flagship game on launch day, but the change in controls probably seals the deal for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I've been wondering this for a while. This picture is on the front of Steam:

Are those supposed to be four copies of the same person, or are they so uncreative with player characters that they are different people but all look exactly the same?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are those supposed to be four copies of the same person, or are they so uncreative with player characters that they are different people but all look exactly the same?

It's to emphasize the customization and co-op.

Plus I think you always appear as Arno to yourself.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It's to emphasize the customization and co-op.

Plus I think you always appear as Arno to yourself.

Yeah, it's Watch Dogs styled in that sense, you always are Arno in your game, and everybody else is playing one of the three dudes who randomly show up to help you out. Of course, to them, you look like one of those dudes yourself.

Now, if they would've just said that as an explanation for why the 4 characters were male, they could've saved themselves a bit of trouble.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Isn't that sort of the point with in-game Assassin lore? Like, they try to hide their identity to blend in? Like, the all four of them look like some generic bearded white dudes. Blend right into the crowd, that way.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

Now, if they would've just said that as an explanation for why the 4 characters were male, they could've saved themselves a bit of trouble.
Yeah exactly. A long time ago I heard there would be four characters for co-op, and people asked why they were all guys, and they gave a bunch of hurried excuses that sounded like it was the first time anyone had brought it up.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah exactly. A long time ago I heard there would be four characters for co-op, and people asked why they were all guys, and they gave a bunch of hurried excuses that sounded like it was the first time anyone had brought it up.

Only the biggest PR flub I've seen this year. They could've said they're randomly generated. They could've said a lot of things. But they basically said that in their 400 studios working on this thing that nobody had the time or skill to make a female player character. It was such BS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

See the thing is, with the way the co-op is designed, it actually would be a lot of work to animate female characters.

They just said it in a monumentally stupid way.

(Though they should have just been working on it from the start.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

See the thing is, with the way the co-op is designed, it actually would be a lot of work to animate female characters.
Is it really just about feeling they can't animate women properly without their hips swaying and boobs bouncing? Why not just hang a female model on a generic skeleton and animation set?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 6, 2014

Noirex
May 30, 2006

They already have a rather major female Templar character in the main game. Can't they use her animation/model etc?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Noirex posted:

They already have a rather major female Templar character in the main game. Can't they use her animation/model etc?

The reason they gave is it's too hard, but the real reason is they and many other studios think if there is a female playable character they will lose sales because their target demo (bro dudes) think playing as girls is gay, or something. This is a true thing.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Figured that was probably the real reason which is depressing to think about. Read somewhere that the Asscreed franchise is incredibly popular among women players though, who are already making up half of the gaming population. It's like they don't want our money or something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rasmussen posted:

The reason they gave is it's too hard, but the real reason is they and many other studios think if there is a female playable character they will lose sales because their target demo (bro dudes) think playing as girls is gay, or something. This is a true thing.

It's a weird way of thinking since if this forum is any indication a large percentage of guys play female characters.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Noirex posted:

Figured that was probably the real reason which is depressing to think about. Read somewhere that the Asscreed franchise is incredibly popular among women players though, who are already making up half of the gaming population. It's like they don't want our money or something.
Until the gender make-up of the developers themselves changes, I don't think they will really understand this issue on a low enough level to actually change their behavior.

I want to play as a female character especially in this setting because drat, it's the French revolution.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Noirex posted:

Nah, too logical.

Rasmussen posted:

Which is a shame because I always played as either Lady Black or the rebel character. Nothing made people madder than dying to them for some reason v:shobon:v

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I guess Liberation sold like poo poo.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

It's pretty much because Asscreed games are awful poo poo and Ubisoft doesn't care. Jokes on me though for buying every game in the series though, including the new ones. At least Black Flag was legit fun while the rest were Simon says with Twilight-Pseudo-History fanfinction.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Azubah posted:

I guess Liberation sold like poo poo.

It did, but that was because it was a poorly coded and buggy game on a less popular platform. I mean, I even really like Liberation, but that game felt like it was held together with chewing gum. Aveline was a cool character though, but they keep giving her the worst content to deal with. A portable game and a linear, sub-hour-long side story?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
For those who like the AC soundtracks, some stuff on that:

A whole lot of clips from the Unity soundtrack have been getting dribbled out over the past few weeks. I linked to a compilation of all of it there.

Meanwhile, the main theme for Rogue also had a preview clip leaked from an early Amazon product listing.

Personally, I thought the Unity soundtrack sounds really "meh".. it doesn't have as memorable a hook as some of the more recent soundtracks.

Also the Rogue clip is just weird. For some reason it starts off with Ezio's Family theme from AC2, even though Ezio is really really really dead by the time Rogue begins. Is there some sort of thematic link involved or is the composer just being lazy?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can get this game free with an Nvidia voucher, so looks like I'm getting it, as I've got all the games in the series sans Asscreed 3.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
The entire Unity soundtrack is on Spotify. (Or at least two full CDs)

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A legitimately cool website : http://www.assassinscreedrogue.com/

lol about half the internets thinks the mentally ill guy standing in the way deserved to die :catstare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Most people feel Kenway didn't deserve to die. I guess mostly because if he had continued to be the main character of AC3 instead of Bland Whatshisface, it might have been a much better game.

• Locked thread