Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ubisoft decided to take a break from releasing an Assassin's Creed game every year.. this time there's two!

Release Date(s):

Assassin's Creed Unity : November 11 (NA), November 13 (PAL), December 4 (JP)
Assassin's Creed Rogue : November 11 (NA), November 13 (PAL) - PC version due March 10

:siren:uPlay Clubs for AC: Unity:siren:
PC: [SAAC] [LGSA] and [Goon]
PS4: [LLJK] and [GBG0]
Xbox One: Goonassin and [GSSA]

Reviews:
Unity
Eurogamer: 7/10
Joystiq: 2.5/5
Gamespot: 7/10
Polygon: 6.5/10
Destructoid: 7/10

Rogue
GameInformer: 8.25/10
IGN: 6.8/10
Eurogamer: 8/10
Gamespot 6/10

Overview:
Ubisoft doesn't consider Rogue to be their flagship game this year. But it's the one you should play first. Rogue is being released for those fools who haven't gone to the new generation yet, being exclusively released this fall on PS3 and 360. A PC version has been announced for the Spring, and Ubisoft "isn't ready to talk yet" about ports for the new consoles. If you really liked the naval stuff in AC4, then Rogue is for you, since it features more naval combat with enhancements for fighting in the arctic. (Unity, unfortunately, is land-locked.) There is no multiplayer mode or announced DLC for Rogue.
The game also seeks to bridge the stories of AC4 and AC3, as well as setting the stage for AC: Unity, which brings us to...

Plot:
The game takes place during the Seven Years War. You play Shay Patrick Cormac, an exceedingly Irishman who was part of the Assassins before he has an assignment go bad. He then changes sides to the Templars, swearing to seek vengeance by hunting down Assassins. Returning characters from previous games include Haytham Kenway and Achilles Davenport from AC3, and Adéwalé from AC4/Freedom Cry. Locations visited in this game include the North Atlantic ocean, the Appalachian River Valley, Alabama, New York and Quebec.

Gameplay:

Wikipedia posted:

Naval aspects from previous games will return with the player controlling Shay's ship, Morrígan. Morrígan has a shallower draft compared to Edward Kenway's Jackdaw from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, allowing for river travel. New features include new ship-based weapons such as releasing an oil slick which can then be ignited, Puckle guns, and the ability for enemies to board Morrígan during ship-to-ship combat. The arctic environment also features into naval gameplay. The underwater diving missions featured in Black Flag do not exist in the North Atlantic, as swimming causes the player's health to rapidly deplete due to the frigid water.

For combat, the game introduces an air rifle, which allows the player to silently take out enemies at a distance. The air rifle can be outfitted with a variety of different projectiles, such as firecrackers. The player can also use a grenade launcher, which fires off shrapnel grenades and other loads. Enemy Assassins feature archetypes similar to previous games, using skills that players have been using since the original game; they can hide in bushes, blend in with crowds, and perform air attacks against the player.

Trailers
Cinematic announcement trailer
Arctic naval gameplay walkthrough
River valley land gameplay walkthrough
Story trailer
Launch trailer

Screenshots

"I dreamed a dream of games gone by,
sequels were far apart and worth playing ..." - Polygon Review Comments

Overview:
Unity is the "flagship" game this year, and is being made only for the newer consoles and PC. It has been in development for about 4 years and is being touted as the first total revamp of nearly all game systems since AC2. New features include a new ascend/descend climbing system, dynamic missions, retuned combat, and new crowd AI.

Multiplayer is also different this time around, as the previous competitive multiplayer experience has been removed in favor of a new co-op based mode.

"Assassin's Creed Unity weaponized review embargoes" - Ben Kuchera, Polygon

Plot:
The game takes place during the French Revolution. You play Arno Dorian, a Frenchman who was the son of an Assassin, but was adopted by a Templar family. He also has a love interest named Elise De LaSerre. As is usual, you run into several historical characters over the course of the game, including Marquis de Sade, Napoleon Bonaparte and Maximilien de Robespierre.

"My lack of enthusiasm for the multiplayer is mirrored by my experience with the rest of the game." - Destructoid review

Gameplay:

Wikipedia posted:

Combat for the game was rebuilt, with fencing being used as an inspiration for the new system. In addition to returning weapons from previous games, Assassin's Creed Unity introduces the Phantom Blade. The Phantom Blade uses the mechanics of a crossbow to fire a silent projectile a great distance, while still serving the same role as the Hidden Blade in previous Assassin's Creed games. Navigation for the game was also overhauled. Ubisoft created new "Parkour Up" and "Parkour Down" mechanics to make it easier for the player to scale buildings in either direction. Additionally, Arno learns new parkour moves throughout the game, but the player can also purchase new skills as well. With the updated, larger crowds, new interactions with them are also available. The crowd regularly presents many activities, appearing organically, that the player can choose to engage with at their leisure. Examples include interfering in a fistfight, or chasing down a pickpocket.

For the first time, the series will allow players to customise the character, adopting a skill tree that enables players to assign points earned through gameplay to improve their skills in stealth, mêlée and ranged combat, health and traversal. Players will also be able to customise their weapons, armour and equipment to further complement their individual style of play. They will also have a wider selection of weapons available, including swords, axes, spears, polearms, pistols and incendiary devices.

Assassin's Creed Unity also introduces cooperative multiplayer to the series. Players can enter taverns, which act as social hubs in the game, where you can see if any friends are playing the game at the current time. If they are currently in a mission, they will appear as a "ghost" version of their player, allowing you to approach it to request to join their mission. If accepted, you are transitioned to their game and both of you reset to the most recent checkpoint, and continue on from there. Up to four players can join together in this fashion. The player will take on the role of Arno within their own game, with other players appearing as randomly-generated Assassins. Many missions and activities will be available for cooperative play (which the player can also complete on their own), but there are some story missions that are set aside to be single player only.

The developers would've loved to have included female characters in the new co-op mode, but animating women is like, hard yo.

-Kotaku Review

DLC:
Yes, there is a season pass of course!

There are 2 drops of DLC content planned.
The first, Dead Kings, will take place after Unity's story and will involve Arno exploring the catacombs of Saint Denis.
The second, Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China is actually a separate game altogether. It's a 2.5D sidescroller featuring Shao Jun, the Chinese assassin from the Assassin's Creed: Embers animated film.

Update: Ubisoft done hosed up and has cancelled Unity's season pass. Dead Kings will now be available for free to everyone.

"AC Unity is true next-gen. In fact, it is SO next-gen that it isn't even finished yet! I like to be on the cutting edge and I appreciate that Ubisoft is making games that it is still making, even weeks after you've beaten them." - Christian Stella, Amazon.com reviewer

Trailers
Single player commented demo
Co-Op Multiplayer commented demo
CG music video trailer
Story trailer
Launch trailer
"Assassin's Creed Unity uses every ounce of power" from the PS4 and XB1

Screenshots

Skipping Intro Movies
Shockeh came up with a quick guide on skipping the intro clips if you're playing on Steam.

quote:

Go to: ..\Steam\steamapps\common\Assassin's Creed Unity\videos

Rename the following files so that they no longer load: (I just put .bak at the end of each filename, this works fine and lets you revert if you screw up)

UbisoftLogo.bk2
pc_TWIMTBP.bk2

Then go into the sub-directory that corresponds to the language you're playing in (for example /en/ for English) and for the same for these files:

warning_disclaimer.bk2
pc_WarningSaving.bk2

Voila, you'll now launch directly to the 'Press Any Key' splash page. Enjoy!

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
To play devil's advocate on those screens: Could it just be bad capture equipment? Or have there been leaks from other sources showing the same thing?

Also anyone know if there's a review embargo in place for Unity and/or Rogue?

I'm still having last-minute indecision on which one to pick up at release, and it would sure help if some reviews started trickling in later this week.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Babe Magnet posted:

I am all for Animus fuckery if it leads to AC6 being balls out future tech vs. WW1 trench warfare vs. gladiators or whatever.

It would finally answer the age-old question of who would win in a fight, Roosevelt or Alexander the Great

"Assassin's Creed VI: gently caress it, You Can Ride Dinosaurs Now"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ymgve posted:

Sadly, it's not most interiors. I think they said you can enter 20% of the buildings in the game. Still much more than other open world games.

Yeah, the only way I can see them making EVERY building in the whole city able to be entered is if they went to procedural creation, which would inevitably be poo poo.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I'll be the "AC Modern Day Storyline defender" again.

I like the modern day stuff. I like how it has an overarching narrative. I liked the Subject 16 puzzles in AC2 and Brotherhood and I liked sneaking around the Abstergo offices hacking poo poo in AC4. It's actually a major reason why I keep coming back each year.

Having said that, I get it's not for everyone. I thought AC4 did it best with keeping the mandatory modern-day stuff to a minimum, but having quite a bit of stuff to find if you wanted to.

But every time I see someone say "I wish they'd just give up on the animus stuff" I think "You can take it from my cold dead hands." :colbert:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Blind Sally posted:

What, holy crap, link to this? This sounds awesome.

They mean this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW_-exDp3CE

Kurtofan posted:

What do we know about the story of the game?

So this thread is for both AC games coming out next week. Which game do you mean?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

We know that the story involves Arno, whose father was an Assassin but was killed, and was then subsequently raised by a Templar family.

Somehow somewhere along the line he learns about his family and decides he wants to be an Assassin too. This is supposedly complicated by his girlfriend being a Templar.

Interviews with devs have indicated that as far as the French Revolution goes, it's going to be more background material than the American revolution was in AC3. Arno is more going to be navigating around and within it instead of being Forrest Gump like Connor was.

Don Gato posted:

But am I the only one who's excited for more Haytham Kenway appearing? He was my favorite character in 3 and I kind of wish he was the main protagonist instead of Connor.

I'm actually way more interested in the story of Rogue than Unity at this point. If you look at all the deleted content from AC3 and the backstory on Haytham that got written by Ubisoft for AC Initiates, it feels like he was a way more complex and interesting character than they made him out to be in AC3. (Example: According to Initiates He found out about the Templars killing daddy Edward, so basically turned the North American templars into a splinter cell that answered only to him.) So I'm looking forward to a chance to flesh him out a bit.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 4, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Calaveron posted:

And your character had to do everything that other voice who called you all the time wanted him to because of unclear, stupid reasons.

I don't think it was that unclear in the game. The other voice posed as Abstergo's IT guy, and he asked you to help him out with something. That something turned out to be "highly illegal", and he recorded you doing it for blackmail. You do what he says the rest of the game so he doesn't turn it over to Abstergo/the cops. What's unclear/stupid there?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Now you can smell like rear endassins while playing Assassin's Creed!

Yes, it's real.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
New Unity trailer up today This one runs about 7 minutes and goes through all of the new features. Nothing new here but a good summary if you haven't been following a lot of the press, and also gives a little more detail on things like the time anomalies.

It also has a really annoying narrator.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Should I play Rogue before Unity? Or does it really not matter?

I'm really torn on this still. I'm leaning towards playing Rogue first for 3 reasons:

1. Chronologically it takes place before Unity
2. Its gameplay is based off of AC4, where Unity has a bunch of its systems overhauled and redesigned. I think I'll have a hard time going back to "the old way" after playing the revamped version.
3. I think the story sounds more interesting

However, Unity is clearly the flagship title this year and the one Ubisoft has spent the majority of its time and money on it rather than Rogue.

I think it comes down to personal preference.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 6, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah exactly. A long time ago I heard there would be four characters for co-op, and people asked why they were all guys, and they gave a bunch of hurried excuses that sounded like it was the first time anyone had brought it up.

Only the biggest PR flub I've seen this year. They could've said they're randomly generated. They could've said a lot of things. But they basically said that in their 400 studios working on this thing that nobody had the time or skill to make a female player character. It was such BS.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
For those who like the AC soundtracks, some stuff on that:

A whole lot of clips from the Unity soundtrack have been getting dribbled out over the past few weeks. I linked to a compilation of all of it there.

Meanwhile, the main theme for Rogue also had a preview clip leaked from an early Amazon product listing.

Personally, I thought the Unity soundtrack sounds really "meh".. it doesn't have as memorable a hook as some of the more recent soundtracks.

Also the Rogue clip is just weird. For some reason it starts off with Ezio's Family theme from AC2, even though Ezio is really really really dead by the time Rogue begins. Is there some sort of thematic link involved or is the composer just being lazy?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

"Apologies users, this experience isn't available in your country."

Europe always gets the cooler AC marketing. :(

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Orv posted:

Because apparently Ubisoft has just decided to make their "We're big boy distributors" move now, pulling all their games from Steam and forcing people to get them on UPlay. I hope you preordered on Steam.

I preordered via Amazon for some weird no-name platform called Playstation, so no digital distribution drama for me!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, it stinks of "here's a mission prompt where the Eiffel Tower's gonna be in a couple of years. Press X to have an instance of you having to climb it and shoot down a german plane. Here's your rank and reward, now here's some more mission markers thrown into your map to do more stuff like that at your leisure."

It does make me wonder how deep they'll go with it. Like is it a one-off? Will there be others like it? Will they all be WW2 or will there be one in WW1 and the Roman Empire and one where you're fighting dinosaurs or something?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Didn't AC4 sell timesaver packs in the like through microtransactions? How is this different?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Man am I glad I didn't redeem any of my uPlay points for playing Watch Dogs now.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

kinkouin posted:

Plus theyre forcing UPlay down everyone's throat for launch. It looks like it's listed on Steam, but probably wont be available til months after.

It clearly says "Release Date: Nov 11, 2014" on the Steam listing.

Also every Ubisoft game since AC2 has required uPlay, even the Steam versions.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I still don't get how the microtransactions are any different from AC4. You could buy DLC for the game that would unlock the locations of bonus items and stuff. They were marketed as timesavers. The only difference here that I can see is that it's foregrounded in the UI instead of being separate purchases from PSN/XBL/Steam. Nobody went ballistic over that though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
There have been full gameplay videos of both Rogue and Unity getting posted on Youtube left and right the last couple of days, if anyone wants to see either game in action.

None of the big sites have posted reviews of either game yet, but TheGamesCabin gets the first Unity review out of the gate, giving it an 8.8/10.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I watched a YouTube from that NukemDukem guy and he went through one of those time rifts and had to collect data in

Hey, could you spoiler that, please?
Some of us are trying to avoid story details that aren't in the trailers.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hakkesshu posted:

Here's my fake review: "Fans of the series will probably like it, it fixes some issues from the last game but introduces a bunch of new ones on top. Story is messy and convoluted, but they nailed the atmosphere and Paris looks very impressive. Overall, AC: Unity is solid and well-made, but won't convert people who have grown tired of the formula. 8/10". Bank on it.

Added to OP. :D

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 10, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Some updates for anyone who's preordered Unity:

PS4 preload should be available now for anyone who's preordered from PSN.
Steam and uPlay are rumored to begin preloading tomorrow.

Also there will be a hefty launch day patch for the game. Over 900MB on PS4.
Someone posted the patch notes for it:

Finally, there's a launch trailer for Unity making the rounds.

Buzz for Rogue is pretty minimal at the moment. Hoping to see some reviews soon!

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 10, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly I keep playing the AC games because I feel like they're the only ones out there lately from AAA studios that cater to mature adults rather than 14 year olds, and that isn't a shooter.

I mean, gently caress, look at Freedom Cry. It actually was willing to take on the issue of the slave trade and how horrible it was. Even with Adewale rescuing people non-stop there were always more, and there always would be. You can't actually be the hero for everyone. Not to mention the whole scene with the slaves drowning on the sinking ship. It's the sort of thing I expect to find only from indie studios these days, but Ubisoft keeps churning it out every year.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
AC Rogue has a launch trailer now.

Everything I'm hearing about it says it's basically Black Flag 2 and sets up a lot of backstory stuff for Unity. I think I'll be playing this one first.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
It's probably also because every single AC title has had its share of bugginess since forever.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Honestly if you're on the fence about it.. wait a couple days to see what some actual reviews say. See if there's a launch day patch that fixes stuff.

It'll still be on store shelves this weekend.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I do think they're running out of excuses with the AnvilNext engine if it truly is as buggy as some reports have said. I kinda understood it with AC3 because it was the first time on a new engine that was clearly being created with the next console generation in mind, so was being shoehorned in to fit the current ones. But Unity doesn't have those excuses.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Calaveron posted:

So when are the legit reviews dropping?

I read somewhere that embargo drops tomorrow morning.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So word going around on Reddit is that the PC version will have a 1.2 patch released on launch day tomorrow.

No word on if that's for consoles as well. Also can't find an official source on that so might just be rumor.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
For anyone holding off until reviews are out:

IGN confirmed the Unity embargo drops at Noon EST.
Advance copies of Rogue were not provided to most press outlets, so don't expect to see a lot of reviews for that one for a couple days.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

This game has supposedly been in development since right after Brotherhood in 2010.

And yet they still have a history of releasing buggy products that could've used another couple months QA, or cutting scenes and features out at the last minute to get the game out the door (AC3 I'm looking at you.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Uh oh.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Orv posted:

I mean, super worrying in the context that I've already played three hours of the game because I'm a loving idiot, but still.

So let's hear the Orv review of Assassin's Creed: Unity.

I'm sure it'll be more coherent than IGN's.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Ubisoft says that AC Unity uses "every ounce of power" from the PS4 and XB1.

I fear for the current console generation if that's what this gets.

Kinda glad I opted for Rogue today.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Embargo down! Let's talk Unity reviews.

Eurogamer: 7/10
Joystiq: 2.5/5
Gamespot: 7/10
VideoGamer: 8/10
Polygon: 6.5/10
Destructoid: 7/10
Kotaku: NO
IGN: 7.8/10
GameInformer: 8/10
USGamer: 3.5/5

Will edit post with more.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 11, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I edited my prev post but this one's noteworthy:

Kotaku gives it a NO rating

Pretty rare for them.

Another biggie: IGN: 7.8

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 11, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Here comes the number people will really be paying attention to...

Initial MetaCritic score (XB1 version)...

wait for it..

Edit: Just went to 75.

For point of reference: The previous low scores for the series are AC3 (80 on PC) and AC1 (79 on PC).

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Well it's a good thing that Assassin's Creed Rogue: Black Flag 2 came out today!

Ubisoft didn't bother sending out many review copies of it in advance, but it looks like that was a tactical error on their part.

First review I can find says it's good.

Edit: GameInformer gives it a 8.25, slightly higher than the 8 they give Unity.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 11, 2014

• Locked thread