Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Story-wise Rogue will be dealing with stuff between AC3->4, where Unity is the proper next step in the story. If that means anything to you.

But Unity has no naval combat, where Rogue will, so if you're a big fan of the boat thing you'll want to jump on Rogue at some point. I'm gonna let it ride out and see if we get lucky getting a PS4 version somewhere down the road. As much as I am a fan of the series, I find too much play will put me in a sour mood. I think the little frustrating things start to get to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Not getting many hits for this, but is there a known issue for AC Unity discs not working for PS4? It gives me a "possible damage/dirt" message and spits out the disc. It looks brand new, no visible damage on the disc anywhere and I am able to pop in my Killzone disc without issue.

Given the reports of bad performance with the game I thought it might be tied in, or maybe because of the recent system update I took, but no mention so far about this particular issue I can find going off google search.

e: I should clarify, the disc goes in and starts up the loading scene after installation (I even get the auto-download on the 1gb patch which seems to download and apply itself without issue), but it stops spinning/making noise and brings up the damaged/dirty message, to which I can only spit out.

e2: Progress. I got past the initial loading scene on the 11th try. It began showing the Ubisoft logo/intro, then stopped near the end and presented the damage/dirty warning. Almost immediately, THAT warning was replaced by a CE-34878-0 error screen followed by suggested actions prompt, which suggested I update the application and system software (I've updated the system well before doing anything with the game). Followed by a forced close of the app and spitting out my disc without prompt.

e3: I'm pretty much out of options and I can't even begin to ascertain what the hell is going on. Something with the system update must have busted up the game when loading from disc. I'm getting farther past the introduction visuals (ubisoft logo, "this work is done by" message) before the CD spins up/dies down a bunch and eventually gives out. If there's something wrong with the disc beyond visually, I don't have the option of trading it out (rented, which means I won't be getting a second copy until demand dies down in a month or two). So I guess my only hope is with an update to the game or console again.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Nov 13, 2014

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
It's amazing something like this can happen with such a high value game.. Or hell, that it can happen with any game. Didn't we just put a space probe on a comet? I thought the days of blowing into my NES and wiggling the cartridge was over.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

Alright, so, by putting in the disc and letting it give me the error, I progressively got further along. After the 22nd time of putting in the disc, it remained going long enough for me to get past the opening cinematic all the way to the start of playing as a kid (where I stopped by choice). The disc seems to have stopped whirling so much.

I've no idea what could have possibly effected it. I'd blame the cold of my downstairs, but my killzone disc fired up without an issue multiple times during this whole process, so I'm ruling that out. Maybe some kind of internet shenanigans, I don't know. Fingers crossed when I fire it up in a couple hours it remains functioning.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
I agree with a lot that's being said about this game, having finished it around noon today.

Beyond the technical issues, I can't stand not being allowed to swap to another weapon in combat. I deeply miss counter attacks with a variety of weapons, while grabbing enemy weapons is gone and the animations for normal combo finishers aren't as engrossing as previous titles (though there are some gems in there). AI can be dumbfounded by simply standing on a roof out of sight - a problem the series had once before and was addressed a long time ago, to see it again here is mind boggling.

The unreliability of using the hidden dagger was also a big point of frustration. Eventually I'd resort to abusing the (pretty badly functional) cover system in order to "force" the game to use my dagger even when combat was out. Too many times would I just stand around with enemies staring me down but the game refused to put me into combat mode until a hit was landed on me. Very frustrating.

Just an overall very weak product for a series that I have always enjoyed since the first. There's so many mechanical departures from the previous titles as to make it almost an entirely new experience for me, which was sadly a bad one as I've lost a lot of the options that made me a fan of the series.

Looking for the good in it all, the WW2 Tower climb was a surprisingly good looking segment and a neat set piece, if maybe brief and a bit cheesy with the machine gun vs planes. There were moments where the game actually looked very good graphically, and it is impressive seeing how many people they were able to crowd into the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Everything HaitianDivorce said, but I also want to add mention of some mechanical issues. The engine was all new for the AC series, which meant new ways of doing old things that brought about new frustrations. In practice this meant different things, like how the parkour system had a tough time telling where the player wanted to go, often throwing you in wildly varying directions or other ill-desired effects. It bled over into other facets of the game (combat, etc) which bogged down the whole experience on top of the directionless story/protag. All this after the high point of AC2 and its follow ups left for a bad taste.

A lot of that stuff was ironed out with Black Flag, which helped put that title at the top of a lot of fan rankings. AC3 was still an AC game and I enjoyed it, just less than pretty much all the others save now for Unity. It simply being the most messy of all the titles in nearly all respects.

• Locked thread