Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Calaveron posted:

I hate how they handled te modern day stuff in AC4. It was just so incredibly obnoxious: you're this douchy rear end in a top hat working in the douchiest place possible, carrying an ipad along everywhere, and they still shoehorned those two massively annoying hacker and historian twats into the story. And your character had to do everything that other voice who called you all the time wanted him to because of unclear, stupid reasons.

The stupidest part for me was that this all-seeing, all-knowing company had it's two biggest threats working RIGHT THERE IN THE LOBBY and USING THEIR REAL NAMES :ughh:

Hey wow it's Shaun the sarcastic coffee guy, haven't I seen you somewhere before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
For those complaining about price, you can still get Unity on Nuuvem for 129 Brazilian moon dollars which is about 30 pounds/40 euro/50 USD.

Yeah it's not a Steam key, but it's cheaper than direct from uPlay.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Preorders, not even once

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

sewersider posted:

I've been playing from the beginning with French audio and subtitles and it's been great, the only time it becomes jarring is when the lipsyncing doesn't match up too well in cutscenes.
I switched back to British Paris to see how it was and it completely changed the feel of the game.

I actually had to turn the French voices back to English, purely because I couldn't keep up during those "talk while fighting" sequences. I just found it too difficult to concentrate on fighting and reading the subtitles at the same time. Otherwise it was pretty great though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If anyone's wondering, you can actually run Unity below minimum specs and survive (barely!). My desktop is an i5-2500 with 8GB RAM and a GTX-560, so a mid-range machine from about 2-3 years ago.

It's playable, though obviously I've got everything set to low (resolution included) and it still chugs along at about 15-20 fps depending on what's on screen. For some reason it dips to about 10 fps during cutscenes :psyduck:

It's obviously not ideal, but I'm at least glad I didn't spend a bunch of money upgrading my rig for this game!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Pre-ordering games is stupid, but pre-ordering DLC is even stupider.

I'm kinda enthused by the setting, but given the experience with Unity I'll be waiting until it goes on discount.

I think more than anything, this announcement confirms that Ubisoft aren't even going to do anything daring or even mildly outside the box for future entries in the series. They're basically treating it like an EA Sports franchise at this point. As long as the settings remain interesting I'll keep buying them (but again, 9 months after release on steep discount), but I can't ever see them innovating or reinventing this game again.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Calaveron posted:

What tickles my funny bone is that the game is in apparently pre-alpha stages. Now I don't know much about game developing but when I hear prealpha I imagine textureless polygons or very rudimentary models in featureless voids going through the motions in order to test the engine and physics and stuff like that, not stuff that is basically 80% done with some janky animations and noticeable pop-in that will still make it into the final version of the game.

It's just an arbitrary label really, pre-alpha means different things at different companies. They've only stuck the label on there as a criticism-deflector, so that when people whinge about pop-in or whatever they can just point to the label and go, oh we're not finished yet MORON. Even if the thing being complained about never gets changed in the final product :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I love that in that "mea culpa" video, the in-game footage of Paris still stutters along at 20 fps :v:

There's a huge amount riding on Syndicate I think, given the reaction to Unity last year. If Syndicate one bombs as hard as Unity, it could easily be the last AC game for a while (and honestly that probably isn't a bad thing).

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Palpek posted:

The worst sign in the trailer is them showing the freeing of the gang member sequence twice when it isn't even a new gameplay mechanic in the series. This only tells me that it will be same old same old and they even ran out of things to fill the trailer with.

Yeah but you can go up walls REALLY FAST with a grappling hook!!!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

effervescible posted:

I liked Unity but that is straight up bullshit. We've been able to have multiple saves since the very first game, what the hell is up with losing them now?

Too difficult to animate, apparently

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I'm legit excited for Syndicate... I think if it properly iterates on Unity and shores up some of that game's weaknesses (opening the game up for some severe owns with the phrasing here) it could be the Black Flag to Unity's AC3. Evie rules and if they don't kill off Henry the cool handsome Indian Assassin in Sequence 9 I'll be surprised but willing to forgive a lot more. Apparently combat's been improved and they've been checking in with fans a lot on gameplay stuff. Maybe I'm just an optimist :shobon:

When have they ever said combat wasn't improved though

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Honestly I'll be happy if they bring back historical broseidons. The fact that the only time you ever got to interact with Benjamin Franklin was as Haytham, and the only thing he did was quote his all cats are grey bit, was a travesty. Like seriously he could've hanged out at your homestead and been all,

"Ah, Connor! There you are. Have we ever spoken at length about the benefits of"
:350:
"vegetarianism?"

Don't forget the awkwardly long sequence where Franklin monologues about French women in an uncomfortably sleazy way!

I know it's historical:ssh:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Also a reminder that you're an absolute sucker if you pre-order any AAA game, especially an Assassin's Creed game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I saw a preview the other day saying you could switch between Jacob and Evie in a similar way to switching between Trevor/Michael/Franklin in GTA V. Their take on it was that you essentially had freedom to choose which of the pair you wanted to use, and that Jacob was the "frontal assault" guy while Evie was more "sneak in the back door" style.

That sounds semi-interesting on paper, but we'll see how it actually pans out in practice. At least it explains why the "assassin" Jacob in all the trailers is just brawling with people constantly!

• Locked thread