Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really can't believe how badly this runs. It's utterly inexcusible. Constant glitches, insanely bad framerate, it's just seriously unbelievable how bad a job they did on this. It's worse than AC3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It deserves it. All the mechanical improvements are utterly wrecked by the fact the game barely runs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just encountered Helix Credits for the first time. I... I think I need to turn off the game a bit. It's like something out of a parody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I have zero issues with the game, runs smooth as hell. Its so crazy detailed.

Congrads on having a magical version that runs better than everyone else then. It would be nice if you would share it with everyone else.

James Woods Fan posted:

How is Freedom Cry? I want some AC but I only got 15 PSN bucks.

It's okay, but sort of just like a bite-sized AC4.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I jumped into a coop game and it appeared to be just open world with no objectives or anything, and no one listening or responding voice comm, so I got bored and quit. Is that typical for multiplayer in this game?

There are objectives but yeah, nobody seems to work together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

What do they look like? I didn't see any markers or anything. None of the other players knew what to do either and were silently milling about.

That's odd. They popped up in bright obvious markers for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

How long would it take you to get the cash needed to unlock poo poo?

The high-end swords are completely ridiculously expensive while they 'only' cost 1000 Fakebux. Maybe money accumulates more quickly in Unity but I kinda doubt it since they want to encourage you to buy their funbux.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DangerKat posted:

Pretty much. Software is pretty much the only industry that can potentially fix a broken shipped product and it's great that they can but it seems like games have become very reliant on that in order to reach self-imposed release dates. And trusting the game will be "fixed" six months from now should be insulting to anyone who purchased it today. The people that pick it up at that time will be getting an improved experience with a better value while you were left funding their quality assurance.

To give them small amounts of credit, it isn't self-imposed. Not releasing before Black Friday/Christmas has a tremendous impact on sales. You can argue it's better to maintain the brand for future sales but... welp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AC:U's combat isn't really harder, it's just slower and more boring. Maybe it gets more exciting later on but it's just so crazy slow paced and kind of awkward.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BabelFish posted:

If the random 5 diamond dudes you find on the street are any indication, they just get more health.

It's pretty funny to jump from the starting weapon to an upgraded 5-diamond sword. Most combat is over in seconds. (Turns out you can do all the passive money improving missions, including the 5-diamond one at the end in starting gear, assassinates are always instant kills)

Where'd you find that guy anyway? I'm curious to give it a shot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zen death robot posted:

So is this game basically as bad as AC3 or ?

It is arguably a better core game but it runs so much more poorly and has so many other problems that the better core elements are lost. And some other elements are worse. (Super-boring combat being the biggest one.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Personally, I feel like I'd like the new combat more if the frame rate didn't get to get lower when you've got a crowd around. They expect you to get better at timing your blocks and stuff, which is cool, but then in practice it means that things just get choppy and you're not able to react to anything in time. Really, I'd be much happier with the game if it ran better. The crowds are great, but then you see somebody get stuck on some pathfinding, or magically jump six feet in the air for no reason, or you're in a huge battle, but the framerate gets so choppy that it starts to get hard to tell what's going on. Like somebody said, there's a pretty good core game in here, I'm enjoying even just walking around the city streets for the first time since AC1, but the technical issues are really holding it back, and that's coming from somebody who normally can overlook polish and framerate issues.

The framerate absolutely hurts it since it's based on 'precision timing', but there are other problems. Enemies frequently 'teleport' from offscreen to attack which certainly makes larger battles harder but because of cheaper hits, not actual difficulty. the actual dodge/parry stuff is cool in theory but it feels silly. If you try to dodge an attack the game doesn't want you to the enemy sliiiides along the ground to hit you. I get why they did that but it looks really goofy in the middle of the more realistic animations.There also just doesn't seem to be a lot of variety. Dodge when enemy yells, parry when it flashes yellow. That isn't bad, you can do simple well (Batman does so) but Batman does simple-with variety. Even AC4 had more varied combat even if you could just counter-kill everything.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You are actually trying to compare this game to batman like their system is any better. You have 4 moves punch, dodge, parry, and stun. They are exactly the same except batman throws up huge flashing signs when to press the buttons.

If you guys arn't enjoying the game why bother reading this thread, its cool you don't like it go talk on reddit or gamefaqs how you are unsatisfied in one of the simplest games ever made.

Uh, what? So are you posting about Arkham from an alternate universe or something?

CreedThoughts posted:

I must be exceptionally lucky, since I've had zero framerate issues or glitches/bugs. I think people might be overreacting a bit. It's an Assassin's Creed game, if you like the series, you will enjoy this one. The only hiccup I've had is running into walls, but that's been a series long issue. Also, don't fight so much if you hate the combat? I've had luck using smoke bombs and running away if it wasn't mission critical to kill something. If you disliked Black Flag, don't even bother with this game.

There is footage and actual framerate comparisons available. The "I think people are overreacting" argument kind of falls flat in the face of actual proof.

Also I liked Black Flag so...?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 13, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Should I try getting ACU for the PS4? Or should I just wait for Witcher 3?

Do you have Shadow of Mordor already?

im pooping! posted:

Anyone who still has their 360 or PS3 should just get Rogue for that. I don't see Ubisoft putting it on PC for a long time, if ever.

Is it really solid? I'm gonna wait for bargain bin but if it's actually AC4-level or thereabouts it'll probably be fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lunethex posted:

To be honest if there's a problem it's more likely on your end

I'm honestly curious. How is it on my end?

im pooping! posted:

Aside from being on a less powerful console, it is very solid, even for a new release. The only real holdover bug from AC4 is sound effects not playing on time during combat or sailing. They've improved on things as well, for instance sailing has more weapons and the control scheme is a little different, but I'd say it's better. They added new weapons, so along with sleep and berserk darts, you get a grenade launcher as well. It is, as said, basically AC4-2 with different characters/setting. I've got like 13-14 hours logged and all I can say about it is it's really fun.

Also performance shouldn't be an issue if they are putting on PC. We just have to hope it's a good port.

That sounds pretty good honestly. Thanks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blister posted:

Lunethex has done all the tech support for Ubisoft in this thread, if your console is having problems, well it's expected because they're consoles and not super powerful. If you're having problems on the PC, well, it's your computer and fault, the program works fine.

I enjoy the argument of "well, consoles have framerate dips" as is frequently 20FPS (or less) is to be expected even on consoles.

I'm not particularly FPS-snob when it comes to games like this. I don't mind minor dips and I only really demand 60 FPS on games where it really really matters (which AC doesn't.) I mean obviously I'd prefer it was 60 but whatever, a solid 30FPS isn't gonna kill me. This is the worst framerate I've seen in a game in ages and the only once I've played this year where it honestly makes me a little motion sick to play it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jethro posted:

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about Rogue. The gameplay is fine, but I find myself completely unable to pay any attention to the plot, my wife is complaining about everyone being an idiot, and the direction for the voice acting is meh at best.

To be fair that sounds like an Assassin's Creed game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The Ezio games skipped like 4 years regularly.

Pretty much all them did. It's been a fairly common thing.

HaitianDivorce posted:

But Ezio didn't regularly wink at the camera and go "wow, it sure has been a boring four years!"

Nah, he totally did. That or he would be like "I can't believe it's been four years since my family died, how come I haven't gotten revenge?!" or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Popete posted:

Wait so those Helix Points are actually something you can buy and use in game? Not a reflective satire on in game purchases for a full priced game?

loving hell Ubisoft...

I seriously assumed the same thing until I saw it actually linked to the PSN store.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

rizuhbull posted:

So what the gently caress is up Abstergo? Their games say they're "brought to you by" and "created with help by" and other poo poo. Is Ubi trying to become their own fictional evil corporation? The story and themes is such a clusterfuck. I have no idea what's going on.

AC4 literally says that Ubisoft is one of Abstergo's partners.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Oh, so Unity's release is kinda just a metaphysical extension of AC4 where you're playing the role of an Abstergo debugger except for real :aaaaa:

Well, maybe it would run better if the assassins weren't hacking your game to add multiplayer. It's really just super-meta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thinky Whale posted:

How's the modern day story in Rogue? It's always been one of my favorite aspects of the series (yes, I know) and I was really disappointed with how it went nowhere in 4.

It is probably the worst in the franchise in that regard. It's really goofy and half-baked even by AC modern day stuff and doesn't really have much plot. The framing device is that the Assassins hack into a video game you (the player) are playing to recruit you. It sounds (but I haven't played it) like Rogue is a bit more in-depth about the modern day stuff.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jejoma posted:

The more I play this game, the closer I am to being 100% certain that most complaints about the controls in the previous games were completely manufactured by contrarians. Because, holy poo poo the new controls are almost unusable in this one. I just don't see how anyone could have played AC4 and thought the controls were bad. I was perfectly able to do everything I needed in that game and most earlier ones fluidly, but jesus christ, I can feel my blood pressure going up trying to navigate around towers and rooftops in this one.

If you played any of the recent AC games, and are still on the fence about this one, I'd say still wait. I know there's a surge of people coming in and saying "oh it's not so bad," but it is bad, because aside from the framerate and other superficial issues, the combat mechanics and climbing/parkour controls are barely functional. I mean, they did improve in a lot of areas, like the missions structures, and the co-op missions actually are fun, but goddamn they hosed up a lot of fundamental stuff here.

The movement controls in this one are honestly better. They allow you to control your upwards/downwards mobility and let you do things you couldn't really easily in the previous games like drop downwards at high speed.

I got nothing positive to say about combat though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

I actually like the new combat a lot better than the new parkour. I tend to get stuck on walls and poo poo and Arno does infuriating things like hopping around and across windows when I want to loving go inside them, or going inside them when I want to do literally anything but that.

Don't you just press L2 (or its bone/PC counterpart) to go into windows?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hakarne posted:

Yeah I'm really digging the new up/down parkour. Problem is the actual pathfinding is dogshit compared with the old games. It's kind of a two-steps-forward-three-steps-back kind of thing.

Yeah, this is a real problem. The pathfinding is legitimately worse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

You need to equip it as your L1 attack by hitting left on the D-pad. After that you can do a quick shot by using L1, or holding L1 to aim and R2 to shoot.

Thinking about how Ubisoft will or won't find out customers' reactions to this bad launch in a way they will actually listen to, won't sales of the season pass and/or microtransactions tell them? I bought the game but I'm sure as hell not going to spend any more money on it if I have no confidence that it will be fixed.

It really depends on the internal data they get. Unity is doing the "rate every mission" thing again so Ubisoft is going to be getting fairly regular reports on how far people get in the game. That will presumably give them some fairly reasonable data on where players drop off and what makes players invest microtransaction bux.

But it's also very possible they could read it wrong. "A bunch of players rushed the money-making place as quickly as they could, and that reduced our sales of Helix Points. Reduce the money making in the next game!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyra posted:

Man, AC3 does not deserve the hate it gets. It's an exceptional game.

It isn't even above a mediocre game. With the patches that fixes some of the absolutely terrible bugs it... still is significantly worse than the games both before and after it. Although Unity has raised its star a bit at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

After an hour of playing it i could tell it was going to be the Ubisoft standard and that the next 14 hours of sailing were going to be filled with the exact same actions/animations i'd just seen. Then the novelty disappeared and the game became a slog.

I tend to think that the people who constantly sing the highest praises for 4 took longer to pick up on that, are in the "AC is still a good series" camp or are just so chuffed about being a 3rd person pirate with seamless land/ship/ship boarding that they're willing to swallow a lovely Ubisoft game based around it.

Eh. "The next (X) hours are going to be pretty much the same with minor variations" describes the huge bulk of open world games. They're generally more about immersion than strong core gameplay. If the specific gimmick works for you tends to be more important than anything and the pirate gimmick worked for a lot of people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

I get that repetition is a factor but usually there's a good deal of stuff that's repeatable. With AC 4, even the ship stuff felt really shallow.

There are only like 3 boarding/ship conquest types. Blowing a ship out of the water ends up being the exact same, ram em to death or get next to them and blow em up with the side canons, mortars.

Progressing through the game doesn't even increase the difficulty, you end up coming up against just 3 or 4 ship types that get more and more health and damage, nullified by you getting more health and damage causing the whole thing to just be the same all the way through. The only exceptions are the bonus special ships with "unique combat". If this unique combat is something that's reserved for special fights then there's something fundamentally wrong with the game.

Like I said, that describes pretty much every open world game. I mean, to use a different recent example, Shadow of Mordor is probably the most fun I've had with an open world game in years but in the end it is honestly super-repetitive unless you specifically go out of your way to vary your abilities and moves. The same applies to everything from Infamous to Grand Theft Auto. Even the latter tends towards "lovely minigames" to pad out what amounts to 'drive from place to place" or "shoot the same kinds of enemies in the face over and over." (GTA probably has less enemy variety than AC, honestly.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kin posted:

True, but at the same time there's a level of depth and complexity to the stuff in Shadow of Mordor and those other games that makes those areas of repetitiveness (the overall "endless combat" case in SoM) a lot less repetitive. In most of the games you mentioned, i wouldn't really say you've got ot "go out of your way" to overcome the repetitiveness, which is the thing that's different with AC4.

Well, that's the thing I'd disagree with. Some of them are certainly better about it than others (the Nemesis system in SoM) but at the end of the day they're literal sandboxes where it depends on player interaction to keep up with things. I mean I obviously found SoM to be less repetitive but there's someone in the thread who did nothing but spam throwing daggers 24/7 and hated it.

In the case of AC4, there's actually a fair amount to do. It's repetitive as hell at its core but if the illusion works for you then it works for you. You can go diving or take down forts or battle the giant super-ships or try to capture ships in different ways or whatever. You don't need to do most of that and in the end it does involve doing the same things over and over, but the illusion of those same things being worthwhile tends to be the important thing. That is why the Nemesis system is such a neat idea. You're basically fighting the same Orcs over and over again but it provides just enough of an illusion of difference that it disguises the repetition and lack of enemy types.

I mean variety is a good thing but at the end of the day there are no sandbox games that really have enough original content to pad out their game worlds. What really matters is if the content they do have manages to grab you. (And obviously isn't a broken mess or whatever, which AC unfortunately is kind of iffy on providing.) I think AC4 worked for people because it really did provide the idea that there was a lot to do. You could go in a direction and have something to do, even if it was just diving in a wreck or liberating a plantation or solving one of the gylph puzzles. You could even pop out of the Animus and go exploring Ubisoft to play minigames if you wanted. lovely minigames but whatever.

In comparison Unity feels really empty and barren. There's not much there besides the co-op missions, climbing things and a few lackluster side missions. The world is huge and detailed but despite not being that much more repetitive than AC4 it feels more repetitive.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 23, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zachack posted:

I'm mostly with you except for the part where you don't think there's a lot of similar glyph/plantation/etc stuff in Unity, given every lookout just shits out sidequests, the Nostradamus puzzles, and murder mysteries. I've gone from Shadows of Mordor to Sunset Overdrive to Unity and if anything Unity has the most "stuff" lying in-between the player and the next mission, particularly if you do the co-op missions. Shadows was IMO an anomaly in how little "rich" side content there was to do besides the main missions. What I do find less interesting compared to AC4 is that AC4 significatnly changed up the coats of paint on that side-content, while Unity mostly sticks to Paris.

There is that stuff but it feels a lot more samey. AC4 felt more distinctive to me. Diving was different from glyph-finding which was different from ship-fighting and so-on. AC:U certainly has some of that stuff but a good chunk of it, especially the co-op missions, feel very samey.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zachack posted:

I agree, I think; I've been playing Unity in scattered chunks but as I progress the samey-ness does seem to be seeping in. I think two issues that lead to this problem are the lack of "why" in the main plot and not having any real investment in the cafe. For the former, the villa, homestead, and particularly the ship (screw my pirate house) in previous AC games gave a sense of actual purpose for engaging in the side-content (so did the goofy "uncover the past" glyph things).

Yeah, I'm not going to say I'm a big fan of the overaching metaplot in AC but AC4 gave you a lot of ways to engage in it, both in and out of the Animus. In AC:U it feels so perfunctory that the in-game excuse for multiplayer is just "uh, well, you like multiplayer in games, right?" That sort of sums up AC:U's approach to the side content. It feels very obligatory without much backing it up.

In Unity I felt no drive at all to do the sidequests, not even at amusement over goofy files or to get neat upgrades or whatever. The Helix Credits thing hurt the game a fair bit I think. The previous games had a much more solid "do this sidequest to unlock this cool thing" feeling while AC:U loses that in favor of "grind a whole fuckload of money to unlock this cool thing."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

People are complaining for a refund, because somehow they can't see they still get everything they paid for plus a free $60 game.

Well, to be fair, there's a fairly good chance someone already has any game they'd want from that list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ardent Communist posted:

As a observer without any skin in the game since I'm still saving for a PS4, this is a real class act by Ubisoft. Not only apologizing, but trying to make it better with something tangible and actually at a potential cost to Ubisoft. It doesn't, of course, excuse releasing it so buggy, but it's pretty much the best response a company can do in my eyes. I'll be making sure to pick this up now, good behaviour should be rewarded (of course I probably would anyway since I'm reading a thread about a game I can't play at this time, but still).

Well, the big thing to note here is that the bulk of people are just getting the DLC for free. Which is nice but is also clearly Ubisoft struggling to keep people playing the game so they can continue to sell microtransaction stuff.

Aphrodite posted:

But then you still get everything you paid for.

I think the issue here is that these customers are asking for refunds, not for what they paid for due to severe unhappiness with the game. For US gamers that isn't an issue (they just can't get it) but it's a much more debatable subject in other countries.

macnbc posted:

Except Dead Kings was probably going to cost $10-20 and is now free. That significantly diminishes the value of the season pass. Hence the free games. I think there's an argument to be made that if someone wants a refund they should get it.

If I went and preordered a game from Gamestop, but the publisher of that game decided it would be free, I'd expect a refund too.

They said something else of similar value will be given to them instead IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

whatever7 posted:

They are just protecting the game's resell value. Ubisoft has vast invest in the game not diving to $20 in a short time. Class act my rear end.

Unity was clearly designed with a long-tail in mind. They intended people to play it for a while, purchase microtransactions, buy the DLC and in general it was clearly designed with the idea of being monetized into the future. Instead they got a complete disaster which is being returned or traded in which has no good impact on anything. They're probably trying to rush patches out as far as they humanly can in order to get people to keep the game and actually buy the microtransaction-based stuff and the "you'll get the DLC in the future" thing is part of that.

The fact they're giving away a $60 game is totally a goodwill gesture but it's also probably because they really had expected to make significantly more money off the Helix Credits than they did off games, and the Season Pass buyers are some of the most likely to invest more money into the game that way. Games like ME3 or whatever have turned significantly more profits off their in-game purchases than they did off the actual sales of the game and Ubisoft was pretty obviously hoping to follow up on that.

We'll see if it works out for them but it doesn't feel like an honest me culpa and a lot more of a "oh god, don't sell our game before you can give us money!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm playing Rogue now and it's loving embarrassing how much more competent it is than Unity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume you're going to end up being Jack the Ripper.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Thankfully its only for animals. The River Valley area has a set of animals and the North Atlantic has exactly the same set, just with a different name but they count as different in regards to crafting. So an upgrade could require a hare and an ARCTIC hare.

Look, Shey just has a very specific kind of animal OCD that needs very specific animals for his upgrades

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unity is absolutely not fine. People were not dangling in the wings, eager to attack poor innocent AC:U for flaws it didn't have. It was (and still is) a seriously flawed game that is not worth anywhere near full price.

When a company is giving away full-priced new games in apology for how bad their game was, that isn't a sign of an unfairly attacked game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Sure they were.

Yes, you're right. All that terrible framerates and nonfunctioning features and hilariously glitches were a wide conspiracy to make people not like Assassin's Creed. That is 100% a plausible thing. Ubisoft putting out a 12 noon review embargo and admitting openly their game was flawed was them attempt to, I don't know, fight fire with fire?

The fact that people who complained about AC:U in this thread have said more positive things about AC:R is just because of a deep innate hatred for the French.

Like, yeah, sorry if I'm sounding pretty sarcastic there but it takes a frankly ridiculous amount of denial to claim that AC:U was not (and doesn't remain) a fairly flawed product.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

macnbc posted:

So has anyone done the whole "play it in French with English subtitles" thing for Unity? If so, how'd it work out?

I'm thinking of playing it like that after it gets here, because the whole faux British accents thing really grates on me in all the gameplay videos I've seen.

It isn't really worth it. The French acting is pretty lovely. You might not notice it if you're just kind of glazing over the words but it's pretty low-effort.

ayn rand hand job posted:

And how hard it is to model women assassins.

To give them the benefit of the doubt that was just an insanely stupid PR statement and if the rest of the game had been good would have been a bad joke instead of more icing on the cake.

• Locked thread