Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

macnbc posted:

I'll be the "AC Modern Day Storyline defender" again.

I like the modern day stuff. I like how it has an overarching narrative. I liked the Subject 16 puzzles in AC2 and Brotherhood and I liked sneaking around the Abstergo offices hacking poo poo in AC4. It's actually a major reason why I keep coming back each year.

Having said that, I get it's not for everyone. I thought AC4 did it best with keeping the mandatory modern-day stuff to a minimum, but having quite a bit of stuff to find if you wanted to.

But every time I see someone say "I wish they'd just give up on the animus stuff" I think "You can take it from my cold dead hands." :colbert:

I'll admit I've always liked it too. Obviously it's not always well implemented, but it gives the overarching storyline an additional hook and allows for silly stuff like WW2 missions in a game ostensibly set in the French Revolution. I can't really say I'll miss Desmond but I'm glad they're keeping the modern day stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Prop Wash posted:

So we're at the stage in an AC game's life where it basically works and is pretty fun but isn't mind-blowingly good? Sounds like it's about time to pick it up then!

Also if you bought it on day one then what were you thinking anyway

Pretty much, especially for $30 like it currently is on Amazon.

I'm up to the beginning of sequence 12, the setting is fantastic and gorgeous but the story itself is pretty lackluster. I get that they were probably reacting to the backlash over AC3's hamfisted story, but I was hoping to have at least a little more direct influence on history, rather than Arno's revenge quest with random historical cameos.

Anyway, if you like rear end Creed you'll like this, but it feels a lot like AC1 as more of a tech demo of their next-gen engine rather than a fully fleshed-out game.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

muscles like this? posted:

I played through the entire game and did a ton of the side content and I don't think I saw any glitches really.

The game had a lot of crowd pop-in and other small visual quirks, as well as obvious frame rate issues, but yeah, I also didn't encounter any major bugs outside of a couple instances (like dying suddenly just as I climbed to a sync point).

I tried running around a bit with the new patch (on PS4), admittedly I didn't do any missions but overall it feels... somewhat improved? Performance overall seems more consistent and stays closer to a stable 30 fps, but it's still not perfect. As said though, I was just running around, not doing any thorough testing.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Dead Kings is launching on the 13th.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Well, I thought I was enjoying Dead Kings, until I get to the end of memory 2 and get hit by the 'Find Leon' glitch. I restart the memory, only to discover mid-combat that for some inexplicable reason, the game had equipped me with my shittiest weapons upon restarting the memory instead of my default loadout, so instead of grinding it out with some mooks I had to restart again (since you can't switch weapons unless you're anonymous). I've been pretty patient with this game's bugs, but when the apology DLC is bringing these kind of frustrations, one really has to step back and say 'the gently caress, Ubisoft?'

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Palpek posted:

The DLC is so much better to me than the main game, it's not even funny :psyduck::

-The number of collectibles is managable and reminds me of the older rear end Creed games and suddenly I really enjoy getting them.
-There are new enemy mechanics introduced which let you avoid combat and it's really cool (get to the boss without starting combat and the rest will scatter).
-The new weapons are badass and I can't understand why they weren't in the main game in the first place.
-The rewards for side activities are unique and satisfactory.
-There are vast underground areas that bring back the old tomb raiding feel.
-The first civilization stuff is back which makes the story way more engaging and rear end Creed-style.

Overall it seems like a completely different team made this one and they had fun making it.

I thought it was odd too that supposedly optional content tied in to the overarching series plot way more than the main game did. I mean, technically anyone can access it thanks to the apology concessions, but the narrative focus between the core game and the DLC seems backwards.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Discendo Vox posted:

This evening I saw a copy of AC3 Limited edition, new, at Wal-Mart, for 75$.

I think every Walmart has some bizarrely old, full-retail game sitting on their shelves. My local store has a Gears of War 3 collector's edition for full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

So much for the "major performance patch" that was forthcoming.

Wasn't that patch #4? Or were they promising another one?

Anyway, I guess it's cool they unlocked the companion app crap, maybe I'll get around to 100%ing Versailles now, but it would've been a lot better not having that poo poo to begin with.

That said, they fixed the find Leon glitch, so anyone holding off on Dead Kings should check that out, since it legit was really good.

• Locked thread