Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

When you think about it, we're all just 2d side scrollers.

Speak for yourself, I'm 4D (this is funny if you're vaguely familiar with internationally popular Korean slang)

Anyway, I love the modern-day stuff a lot and I wish they did more like the puzzles in AC2 as well as the loving around computer files from Black Flag, because those were the two implementations I enjoyed the most. It seems like glyphs are returning, at least, which is maybe a good sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I was about to say you can get Unity for free if you upgrade to 900-somethings, regardless of the reason you justify upgrading for

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I watched a YouTube from that NukemDukem guy and he went through one of those time rifts and had to collect data in La Belle Époque so I imagine they pretty much have given themselves free rein in what they'd like to depict

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 10, 2014

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

macnbc posted:

Hey, could you spoiler that, please?
Some of us are trying to avoid story details that aren't in the trailers.

Whoops, my mistake! Done, albeit a little belatedly :shobon:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

AC games are so poorly optimized that if I hundred-percented Black Flag on Medium/High at an embarrassing average of like 28 fps Unity would be unplayable by my exceedingly low standards on Low, right? I'm 99.9% sure of this but it can't hurt to get a "that is insanely correct" from people with experience with the PC version.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

What are your specs?

I've been playing on a gaming laptop I got as a combined birthday-graduation gift a few years ago, it's an i7 core, I think 2670QM, and an Nvidia 555M card, which is where I run into most of the trouble. I can play the new Dragon Age pretty reasonably well and my drivers are all up-to-date, including the custom ones for Unity, but I'm thinking I ought to continue to put off buying it until I can build a mid-to-high-range new PC.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Hey, did they fix that bug I read about in Liberation HD where if you don't pick up a particular collectible during your first run through a certain sequence you have to replay the whole game to achieve 100% sync? I want to start playing it but I'd sooner put it off forever than break my 100% sync streak, because of my mental illness that I have.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Hey, did they fix that bug I read about in Liberation HD where if you don't pick up a particular collectible during your first run through a certain sequence you have to replay the whole game to achieve 100% sync? I want to start playing it but I'd sooner put it off forever than break my 100% sync streak, because of my mental illness that I have.

Is that gonna be a "yes" then?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Rogue ruled, way too much side poo poo tho especially because I chronically 100% sync these games

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, I really enjoyed Rogue. The story is on the short side--something like eight or nine sequences--and there's a ton of side stuff like collecting Native artifacts and pieces of Viking swords and war letters and and and to pad the length instead, but the grenade launcher is an awesome addition, characters return from both AC3 and Black Flag (the latter are older, the former are younger), and hunting Assassin stalkers is a lot of fun. The other night a lady tried to air-assassinate me from a rooftop and shouted "Now you see me, now you're DEAD" which made me laugh out loud.

Also new shanties.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nope, not even a love tap. It's Black Flag with a new story and characters and a couple cool new features. If you loved ACIV and/or Freedom Cry and aren't burnt out or haven't played either in a while you'll likely really dig Rogue. (I should mention most of y'all seem to have played Unity in between and I haven't cracked it open yet--yep, I'm aware of all the caveats--so it might feel a little off for a bit, but I don't know how Unity plays well enough to say.)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mameluke posted:

New York is superfluous, and I haven't compared it to AC3's New York, but it feels more densely built and enjoyable to climb than the old one.

Yeah, AC3's New York was after the Great Fire and, I think, smaller besides. Rogue's is definitely better--plus I recognize place names (Stuyvesant!)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I just finished 100%ing Rogue last night, haha. The last legendary ship battle was sooo difficult until I switched up my strat and knocked it out on the first try, finishing it with a full health bar and change. You don't even need to do all the fleet missions to get the full sync so I felt like an idiot for even getting started on that smh

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Templar Enforcer outfit is also dope but takes way too long to unlock

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

^^^ yessss the tavern songs are a DELIGHT

The modern-day sections of Rogue are a lot like the modern-day sections of Black Flag, except some rooms are blocked off, it's winter in Montreal, and you have different real-world companions (well, and Melanie Lemay is back). Most of the rewards for hacking computers are audio files but they tell a couple interesting stories about the modern-day Assassins, including this buff gay Assassin couple--one guy is an MMA fighter and the other was a high school football player. I love tthem. I love them

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Orv posted:

Speaking as someone for whom AC is the only game series that inspires the completionist attitude, AC:U has way too much poo poo. Way, way too much poo poo.

I love AC and 100% synced every game from 2 on, including Liberation and 3 (which, contrary to goon opinion, I liked--but ugh, that 100% was awful). I haven't even installed Unity to PS4 yet in part because I am terrified

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

effervescible posted:

Gist sounds so over the top and insincere that I kept waiting for him to screw Shay over, but I guess it's just bad acting or a bizarre acting choice. Or maybe they were trying to make him sound like a desperate suck-up and Shay just never noticed.

It's fuckin Sardo from Are You Afraid of the Dark? Game owns

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I thought Shay did have a database entry? I remember reading it under People 'cause I always look for commentary from the modern-day characters

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

According to an email you get from picking up a tablet in Rogue Connor died in some kind of hosed up way that Melanie Lemay didn't want to talk about because it wasn't marketable but I'd like to see that expanded upon somehow. They also mentioned a wife?

I'm gonna get owned on this but I'm at the beginning of Sequence 6 of Unity and I actually am enjoying it so far? Granted I'm playing it post patches, but it isn't near as bad as I was led to believe. It actually reminds me a lot of 3 in some ways (and I know people also hate that game)--there's a lot of experimenting, a lot of new mechanics and revamps of old ones. I basically live for coop games so I don't mind that at all and I really enjoy those missions and heists. Some of the stuff that doesn't work is gonna get thrown out in Victory, some of it isn't, and eventually we'll hit Unity's version of Rogue, where those mechanics have been refined into a near-universally enjoyable experience. Or maybe I'm just an optimist, but I thought I'd throw in a weak counterpoint to all the negative stuff I've heard (with the caveat that I really enjoy all the dumb lore, etc.)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Kin posted:

Does the story start taking you through more variable areas towards the end or does it rely on you to massively deviate away from the main story (i.e. sail to the other side of the earth in search of a collectible) to come across some of this stuff?

The latter. I discovered a handful of very small but notable cities when I was mopping up my 100% sync ("Halifax is in this??")

Snuffman posted:

The problem was the stealth was half baked. How is it Ubisoft can nail stealth so well in Blacklist and totally botch it in Unity? There was also waaay too many collectables and app tie in silliness.

I've been doing okay stealth-wise and I think the crouch button--which I JUST learned is a toggle and not hold-to-crouch--is really nice; can you elaborate more on that? And yeah, oof, forgot to criticize the collectibles. I got free Helix Points for some stupid Uplay thing and bought the chests and cockades map and now I fuckin can't see poo poo when I'm zoomed out. And I've been participating in Uplay and Initiates silliness even when it wasn't applicable. Still don't know how I'm supposed to get the artifacts from the dumbass app.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I just finished Sequence 9 and I'm still enjoying Unity... Uh-oh, you know what that means... I might have a bizarrely divergent opinion :o

Caveat: I've had few coop issues on PS4 and am generally pretty patient with this stuff. A couple times I got the CE-83-whatever error and the game stopped but even then I come back in and the story mission has legitimately saved exactly where I left off. I was doing the Marie Levesque assassination and completed both the distraction and assistance opportunities and I didn't have to do those when the game started back up. Saved in part by decent checkpointing. Obviously this is purely anecdotal and I know pre-patching it was rrrrrough but I guess I'm glad I came to it post-patching. I think I'm probably the exact target audience for Unity tbh--someone who used Initiates pretty extensively even when it wasn't required for chest-opening, etc.--so a lot of that stuff isn't quite as frustrating for me as it would be for other people but I totally Get where everyone else on Earth is coming from.

edit: but given all the criticism they'd gotten forever and all the asking for a female protag in a mainline game I don't know why they didn't just switch Arno's and Elise's roles and change Basically Nothing Else??? but w/e

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, this last patch was the one that unlocked them, I remember reading that.

I was sort of hoping Freedom Cry was a test run and given Quebec is developing Victory maybe it was, but imo even a mainline assets-remixed game like Rogue with a "nontraditional" protagonist would be a step in the right direction--not for nothing but if anyone were to thrive among the Assassins as shown in the game it would be a woman or a person of color who isn't given that respect over the course of their normal lives? Lore-wise it makes sense and Black folks have showed up even among Templar leadership.

It's just a huge pet peeve. For God's sake your community manager's last name is Gbinigie, why are y'all so afraid of Black people?!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Haha I liked Rogue's story but I agree with that first criticism for sure--I noticed during my playthrough and kind of laughed at it.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only loser who thinks that much about this goofy game's silly lore. I love some of the Helix teasers from when you first start up Unity--particularly the Hibernia one and the Jazz Age one. I'd love to see the latter, or a story that takes place in a location whose natives were a victim of colonization rather than a perpetrator (so basically Africa or Southeast Asia) (but I've been Leftist enough in this thread so I'll shut it)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oh yeah I just remembered there's an audio file where a guy is talking about how weird it is to inhabit a woman (was it Aveline? maybe it was Subject Zero?) I really like those tbh they're very low-budget ways to expand the lore. There should be a transcript though like the Juno and cave painting stuff in Rogue.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

There's Assassin intel you get from the rifts in Unity that advises Helix's PR team NOT to mention brain death so I think Helix puts people at risk? But I think the bleeding effect is connected to your particular ancestors and it's mentioned in Revelations that it's especially an issue (or whatever you want to call it) for people with high concentrations of First Civ genes, so I'd guess they're kind of wriggling their way away from it with edited Animus stuff since they're phasing out the third-person modern-day bits.

Also the Helix stuff is specifically chosen to show Assassins being assholes and heroic Templars bringing them down and what we play in the games are other memories in the Helix cloud servers being used for Abstergo's purposes. This sounds so stupid to type out lol

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I loved that the glyphs in either 2 or Brotherhood (can't remember) explicitly say that the Templars invented capitalism as a means of control and state that several of the Supreme Court Justices who made the call on Citizens United are members of the Order. I'm always happy when an AC game skirts easy right-libertarianism and says something a bit cleverer than that

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

So how many here are planning on getting Victory? Or will you all wait for a week or so and see after Unity and Watch_Dogs?

I finally finished Unity and, to quote a British friend, "quite liked it". I'll preorder :twisted:

As for the Storm Fortress, try getting in front of it and going completely crazy with burning oil. Then put some distance between you and use mortars as necessary. When I switched to this strategy after about a half hour I finished the battle on the first try.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I 100% synced Rogue and Unity seems like a way tougher 100. I'm currently at 81% on it with the sync points and artifacts looking like the worst of it and murder mysteries looking like the most fun.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I guess that's exactly it to be honest. Rogue introduces things to you while Unity just shits it out everywhere and your map is always cluttered with poo poo to do at all times. Though truth be told, maybe I'm just getting tired of Ubisoft collectathons. I never even bothered 100%ing Assassin's Creed 3 or both Far Cry 3 and 4 because of it. Too much effort for very little gain.

Don't 100% AC3, it's some ol' bullshit and I'm saying this as someone who enjoyed it

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Zedd posted:

Don't 100% AC3, and I say this as somebody that did it. I liked base AC3 unlike most others, but 100%ing that one was just an excessive tedium, even compared to other entries in the franchise.
AC2's feathers where less annoying compared to AC3's menu's, club and map challenges, the underground and getting the map uncovered in the Frontier. The only upside of it is that it did make me appreciate how actually well designed the frontier was.

:(

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The challenge where you had to reveal most of the map was one of the most tedious ones (but I didn't have to pay much attention which was nice)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Love that they've taken the most interesting settings they've conceived thus far and shunted them off to what will surely be a (series of?) bullshit side game(s?) instead of putting a full budget on them... Not that it doesn't look interesting or good but c'mon son

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

paint dry posted:

If you think people would buy a big budget game set in 19th century India you're an idiot.

Edit: on the other hand i would buy the hell out of it

Same.. But it's also true that I'm an idiot

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

8 minutes of Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Vm2j60zpE

Love too wattch an annoying man Game...

Honestly I'm still skeptical but I feel like I could see myself enjoying this, especially if those are animus fragments that unlock modern-day info :getin:

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Whoops, platinumed Unity and for the most part had fun doing it :P

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Palpek posted:

Ok I finished up the legendary ship battles and bought all properties. I think I'm done with Rogue, it was a really cool game.

The only real complaint I have is that the in-game economy is entirely hosed. You need metal and cloth for both ship upgrades and buying properties and you can only get those resources via ship battles. Why Ubisoft? Why not let the properties generate those resources instead, why not give the player a choice of the income path - those who like fighting would hit the seas, those who like simple economy would get more fun out of it. I mean the devs customized the properties which is cool so it would have been great if those mines generated metal, forest huts produced wood and tanneries/shipyards generated cloth. Instead we got all those money sources that you don't need after a while and you have to grind the seas for resource scraps. It's not a big deal in the end but just felt like dumb Ubisoft game design to me. Even letting us buy the resources in a store would have been better.

Yeah, when all I had left to do was finish renovating the entire world I was really wishing there was some way to buy metal, even at a ridiculous markup

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Okay, I totally flip-flopped on Chronicles--are there any preorder deals in the US? The GetGamesGo or whatever won't let me check out with it

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Sort of? You can jump between planes (i.e., run across a plank into the background) and you often have to double back or something to finish a level or find secrets. I've heard it compared unfavorably to Mark of the Ninja, which I haven't played yet. I thought it was Fine but there's very little of what I love in it (no modern-day story, poor voice acting, bad script). The art is really nice, some of the moves feel good, and when you get a rhythm going you feel genuinely Assassin-y. The scoring is actually pretty forgiving--you can be a Shadow, an Assassin, or a Brawler, in order from most impressive/highest scoring to least impressive/lowest scoring, and you hit certain thresholds to unlock stuff.

The best levels are basically 2D versions of the giant things-exploding-and-falling-apart-all-over memories from the 3D games (the most recent example is Rogue's portion set in a crumbling Lisbon). The worst involve having to make it past a gauntlet of enemies whose vision cones are just a bit too wide (but also I am bad at it).

I'm interested in the Assassin symbols you can find hidden in a bunch of levels--Eagle Vision reveals four numbers behind each of them. Part of the next/a current ARG? Too bad the game isn't good or interesting enough to sell large quantities so probably no one's gonna nip at that intriguing lil piece of bait. :(

(Needless to say, just my opinions. I wouldn't say I regret buying it but maybe wait for a sale. Sad really since the concepts for the Assassins that star in this trilogy are way more interesting than anybody from a mainline game so far.)

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Palpek posted:

Yes, it's way way worse than that. The amount of collectibles is absolutely insane and if you decide to open all chests you have my deepest sympathies.

:P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

man nurse posted:

I'm still on board and will probably buy Victory because I'm pathetically invested in this series.

Same.

Same!!!!!!!!

• Locked thread