Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

Yep. Did you read the second half of the sentence before mashing reply?

They didn't really bungle Turkey though, just presented it through the limited viewpoint of the visiting white European. If we got a Turkish Assassin working within Turkish history that would obviously be better but Revelations isn't really bad in its presentation of Turkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, no biggie, it's only the moment the entire series has been building up to, we can totally just half rear end that, it's cool.

Well they half-assed the other moment the entire series has been building up to as well (the whole "saving the world from the solar flare" bit) so two half-asses make a full rear end I guess?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BondSworeSuccinctly posted:

According to wikipedia its the same author from the previous novels, also the novels cover is considerably better then the games own cover:

http://imgur.com/1tuSrK2 Picture is HUGE.

I dont understand why they didnt use this for the actual game.

Unfortunately Ubisoft used up all its "drawing women" budget for the book cover.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PoshAlligator posted:

Haytham was the best.

Didn't even want to kill him.

Can I just use this as a springboard to poo poo on AC3 a bit more and say that the Haytham boss battle was hilariously dumb? I know that the AC games have never had good boss battles but at the very least they mostly had a great idea (Duel with your nemesis overseen by Richard the Lionheart! Fistfight with the Pope!) that was let down by bad mechanics. But by the time Connor comes along Assassins apparently kill people by throwing them into tables and benches really hard.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Playing Revelations after Black Flag feels very weird and awkward. Are there a lot of those tower defense segments?

Not that this has anything to do with the tower defence segments but am I the only one who thinks the player movement in Revelations has been the best the series has had so far? The mechanics they tied into the hookblade made a lot of stuff feel really smooth, even if it did make a few things too easy.

Honestly I'd just settle for getting a "run but don't jump on stuff button" back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand how the parkour is supposed to be better in Unity. Arno does whatever the gently caress he wants and I just kinda point him in a direction. If Arno wants to leap 15 feet to the left or hang from a door knocker while a dozen guards shoot at him then by God Arno is going to do it.

While this has always been a problem in the series, ever since AC3 removed it I've thought Ubisoft should add back the button that allowed Ezio to run, or at least move faster than a light jog, but not activate free-running and wall climbing. It was really helpful when running across rooftops or through narrow streets when not under the pressure of a strict time limit or a scripted chase sequence.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Deakul posted:

Fair enough, though I haven't felt much of a connection cause I constantly swap figureheads, sails, and wheels just about all the time. :sissies:
I don't even know what the canon appearance of the ship is anymore.

Yeah, I think it's pretty hard to build a connection to a ship when the extent of your customization is some fairly limited cosmetic things and everything else is required upgrades. Also when you don't have to deal with the random idiosyncrasies that pop up with any constantly used piece of equipment and just hit "repair" at a shop. People don't get attached to things just because they use them all the time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Here is the only good part of AC3. You can now play other, good AC games.

If by the only good part you mean that this is the part when it ends I agree.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

There's a whole set of such scenes, with character motivations and interactions and context and subtlety, fully acted and animated, dummied out of the game. It's the weirdest thing. Instead of there metaphorically being a good plot hidden in there somewhere, there is literally a good plot hidden in the game files.

I never heard that and it explains a lot about Connor's complete lack of character outside of his time with Haytham.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Speaking of accents, apparently they're back in Chronicles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JapuE16BPrY

I guess the French accent is harder to pull off than Chinese, Indian or Russian.

I'm down for Mark of the Ninja Assassin.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Not in AC2, I don't belive they show up at all. That said, the worst collectible remains the flags in AC1.

I want to say they show up on the map if you manage to spy them clearly or within a certain radius of Ezio while in Eagle Vision, which is really just another way of saying they don't show up until you've found them. But I'm pretty sure I remember "finding" some while trailing a target with Eagle Vision on or something to that effect.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

So...like Star Trek movies then (before the reboot at least.)

Even-number theory still works fine in retrospect since Into Darkness makes the 2009 Star Trek look masterful. And of course counting Galaxy Quest.

I wonder what the Galaxy Quest of the AC series will be.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

One thing I had in my head soon after finishing AC3 was that Connor should have been an Assassin that had nothing to do with the Assassins at large. Like, he agreed with their philosophy, underwent their training, but didn't use it to fight directly against Templars or directly for America but for his tribe and family. Concentrating more on the Native part of his heritage, not the American Revolution. I know its likely one of those dumb "idea guy" ideas that sound a lot better as a nebulous concept in my head rather than an actual developed narrative but seeing the American Revolution from the perspective of a Native quasi-Assassin, and the effect that has on the Natives, would have at least had a much more interesting hook to me. Basically replace the Homestead with his tribal lands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Haha, that first scene. "Subtlety, what's that?"

• Locked thread