Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shockeh posted:

Well, tried to purchase through India as per Savvygamer, but the Checkout isn't having it, and I point-blank am not giving Ubi fifty loving pounds for an AC game, no matter how pretty they've made it. That's not price gouging, that's outright mockery of the people, a blatant 'Hey look you fucks will eat our poo poo no matter what price tag we stick on it, laffo'.

It's okay, Ubisoft will let you eat cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So uh apparently the microtransactions option was disabled for review copies so that reviewers wouldn't dock points off the game for having them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931099

It could be fake but it does make sense as to why a lot of reviews didn't even mention them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Because Charles Lee was a Templar and Connor was finishing his mission as an Assassin. The real question is why he doesn't go after the real perpetrator who goes on to do a number of things including general mistreatment of his people, but instead he just goes home and mopes.

I like how even after finding out who really burned down his village, Connor could still play some stupid loving minigame with him like they were old friends.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If they're doing Japan, it'd be better if it was a Meiji era game than a Sengoku one. The latter has been played out to death by so many things. Meanwhile Meiji era means Satsuma Rebellion and the Samurai rebelling against a modernized government (Templars) would fit in well I'd think.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The AC games are pretty CPU heavy I think because even with a 970, loving Black Flag still isn't silky smooth 60 fps. Got a funny feeling Unity just flat out wouldn't run until I get a new motherboard and processor.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Well, poo poo. Apparently the GTX 970 has a widespread hardware fault that causes it to only use a little over 3Gb VRAM instead of all 4. That could explain some things about this game's performance too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Combat in Unity felt like it was trying to emulate the difficulty of combat in the first game but somehow managed to make it even worse. Combat has been terrible in every AC game though, it's just that by Black Flags you had so many options for an "I win" situation that it was never a huge problem. Unity takes all of that away from you.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's almost as if different developers worked on different parts of the game at the same time they were working on different parts of Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 and they major communication issues between development teams that some things were a gigantic downgrade from the things 3 and 4 did well.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's a good chance it's crashing because of Uplay. Or because the download got corrupted because Uplay is a piece of poo poo.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Man, after getting so used to Unity's parkour system Black Flag's just feels super weird. I honestly think Unity's was an improvement.

It's about the only thing in Unity that was an improvement.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah that's pretty much it. Shay blames himself for the incident deep down but projects it on Achilles and the other Assassins because he's emotionally immature I guess, the Templars take advantage of that immaturity and by the time Shay realizes what's happening he's far too gone into the Templars to defect back to the Assassins, so he just rolls with it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

To be honest, Connor wasn't that bad. It's just the disjointed nature of AC 3 that made his characterization all over the place, monotone one minute and weirdly emotional the next. I still kind of want to know what happened to him after the events of AC 3, besides "met up with Aveline and ran some missions together". Ditto with Arno actually since how he got reinducted into the Order between the events of the main game and the Dead Kings DLC is a mystery. But it looks like they're just being forgotten about because the reception to the games they starred in was poor.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Unity is just eh. It's not even as frustrating as Assassin's Creed 3 but I also don't respect it as much as Assassin's Creed 3 either since at least that game tried to do new things and... wasn't really successful and probably tried to do too much. Unity just removes mechanics that were a given from the entire series so far and locks some moves that you could even do in the first AC game until you unlock them and the new things Unity does add which is co-op (which I can never get a stable game going), expanded parkour which is really nice admittedly and a terrible stealth system that doesn't really make up for everything that got removed.

As for Black Flag performance issues, the game has a buggy implementation of PhysX, V-Sync and Anti Aliasing. Even on the best cards, you'll want to set PhysX to low and force V-Sync and Anti Aliasing through Nvidia Control Panel or ATI Catalyst. PhysX doesn't really work right and you don't notice much of a difference between high and low settings, V-Synch doesn't enable triple buffering so it caps your framerate to 30 and I've no idea how they managed to screw up AA but it works better when you turn it off ingame and then force it via your GPU.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ayn rand hand job posted:

There really isn't a single ability, short of maybe throwing money and roll recovery, that is locked in Unity that isn't locked in other games at the start until you do some tutorial that unlocks them. Or pay/craft for upgrades.

Ezio at the start of 2 had to be trained on crowd blending; double assassinate; had to be trained in special attacks for axes, spears, etc.

Black Flag skipped a lot of those issues by either ignoring them outright because the nature of the combat and setting were radically different than the previous games, and not really best for Unity, I think.

I thought Ezio could do a lot of moves at the beginning of AC 2, it's just the tutorial missions make you aware of them? The double assassinate is because he didn't even start off with a hidden blade, much less two and he needed training to do the reach climb for buildings.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ezio can parkour and fight barehanded, and that's about it. Everything else is locked behind some gating mechanic, be it story, tutorial, paying cash.

It doesn't take too long to get past the point where most of it is unlocked (sequence 4 of 12), but for comparison's sake, most of the abilities (short of double air assassination) you're probably thinking of are can be learned after memory sequence 2 of 12 in Unity.

There's something to be said about the conceit off the system pissing people off (Unity's seemingly artificial growth vs AC2's organic growth), though it makes more sense in terms of the real world story of Unity. It also makes more sense in the real world story of AC2, since they were trying to train Desmond to be an actual assassin and fight, as opposed to the Assassins using Animus junkies to research history and piss off Abstergo.

Huh. I guess. At least Unity doesn't put you through the tutorial for your abilities twice for two different characters whose only different when it comes down to it is that one can climb trees and the other cannot, like Assassin's Creed 3 did. I'll give it credit for that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Because the AC 2 trilogy got really stale and repetitive and people slammed Revelations for being Brotherhood with den defenses nobody ask for.

Having said that, I don't think they could do another game in the style of Black Flag and Rogue without being criticized for not innovating enough either. Victory's big gimmick seems to be the grappling hook but I fear it's going to render parkour practically useless. I also can't imagine huge crowds in the crowded streets of London either so that's two things from Unity that are going to be downplayed in Victory.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It was AC 2 wasn't it? Desmond's point of view lost control of Altair after he had sex with Maria which conceived Darim. But I think it's handwaved away by the Animus which was used in the Desmond games was an outdated piece of poo poo and the newer ones which evolved into Helix let you experience any memories regardless of gender.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still feel as though Unity was the most pointless game in the series as far as the modern day stuff goes. At least Revelations had Desmond know where the grand temple was at the end and Rogue at least had a payoff at the end of the game for the modern day stuff.

Unity is pretty much the assassin's playing around to confirm if Germain was a Sage or not and if the Templars had access to his body which... they obviously don't or else it'd be really obvious. Also if Arno is a master Assassin, wouldn't he have left notes or records about Germain?

The main story is pretty pointless too and makes the French Revolution more of a footnote than do anything interesting with the setting. I just get the impression that nobody on the development team really cared at all about the game and half-assed it just to get the French Revolution game everyone had wanted out of the way.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Another thing, what happened to the bleeding effect? If edited Animus experiences are being sold to gamers, wouldn't that just either break peoples brains or train them into killers with the memories of Assassins? It seems like The Templars haven't thought things through and it will bite them in the rear end.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I loved that the glyphs in either 2 or Brotherhood (can't remember) explicitly say that the Templars invented capitalism as a means of control and state that several of the Supreme Court Justices who made the call on Citizens United are members of the Order. I'm always happy when an AC game skirts easy right-libertarianism and says something a bit cleverer than that

Well, historically the Knights Templar were the first to invent issuing credit as a form of banking instead of barter so, the basis for modern capitalism is there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

So how many here are planning on getting Victory? Or will you all wait for a week or so and see after Unity and Watch_Dogs?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember Black Flag let you skip the second half of the credits and they had the decency to make the first half interactive as Edward talks to his daughter.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Actually fired Unity up again out of curiosity. The framerate is definitely more stable and it's nice that all chests and collectables are available without companion app or Initiates bullshit. I still encounter NPCs floating in the air and had a weird glitch where I just couldn't attack anyone until I fast travelled to a viewpoint.

So still rather buggy but at least it's kind of playable now. I don't expect the remaining bugs to be quashed though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Honestly, more than the bugs and the weird combat, what pisses me off most about Unity is Arno himself and the overall plot of the game. Arno is just a really bad Ezio clone and it really does feel that Elise should have been the main character. In fact I wonder if that was the original intention but then Rogue came along and Ubisoft didn't want there to be two Templar protagonists in the same year or something. The French Revolution is just really poorly handled too, I know Assassin's Creed 3 was criticized for Connor being Forrest Gump with a tomahawk but it's barely a factor in the story of Unity at all and whenever it is, the game pretty much outright says "gently caress the filthy starving poors, the monarchy and nobility were right" and how the game completely rewrites the facts to keep that portrayal when the Revolution had absolutely horrible people on both sides in reality.

It's bad enough that if Victory's political commentary says something stupid like the children in the workhouse are all Templars and how dare Charles Dickens, the Templar Grandmaster of the time lie about the wonderful and amazing Assassin aligned industrialists, I'll completely give up on the series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Daily Forecast posted:

Yeah, in Unity you still press E and click a lot, but I feel like in that game you have to watch the enemies a lot more closely and time things better. It's less mindless. In Unity, you have to click at least three times instead of once! And even then you have to keep your eyes on the other red guys while doing it, instead of being mostly invincible during your canned animation.

I mean people seem to think that I am trying to say that Unity's combat IS THE PINNACLE OF VIDEOGAMING!!! while I'm really just trying to say that a bowl of moldy fruit is better than a bowl of poo poo. At least the moldy fruit still looks like food.

The main problem with Unity is that combat against enemies is more lethal to Arno than it is to enemies. Having a slower paced combat system where you have to time your parries and dodges is fine, but not when it takes forever and a half to kill anything unless you use smoke bombs and not when enemies teleport to avoid your gun shots because gently caress you that's why. Especially when their gun shots are much, much more deadly and can seemingly aim with perfect accuracy and you can no longer take a human shield to defend yourself against it. And yes, I'm aware you can buy better weapons and clothing to make your attacks more powerful but by the time you get the large amounts of money the game asks for 5* armor, chances are you've been going toe to toe with 5* enemies for a while too.

Black Flag and Rogue's combat is poo poo, but at least it has the decency to be over quickly. Unity has a slower and more deadly combat system but only for the player and not enemies, removes tactical options that would make the combat fair and it is little wonder that most people just resort to spamming smoke bombs.

I know you're going to say that combat is a fail state and you should be stealthy, which is fair enough except Unity removed options there too. You can crouch and stick to cover but it's clunky as poo poo and sometimes enemies seemingly have Eagle Vision themselves as they can see through walls sometimes I've noticed. You can no longer distract guards away by whistling and are forced to use the much inferior cherry bombs that don't even distract guards half of the time.

I guess what it boils down to is that I agree with you in theory, but in reality Unity's combat and stealth are poorly executed despite the concepts and ideas being sound.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I expected with a slower combat system, something more along the lines of Dark Souls where if you're good you can really gently caress bosses and enemies up but on the other hand, they can gently caress you up. Whittling them down slowly when they can kill you within seconds isn't fun, it's tedious. Higher star enemies more often than not just dodge to the side when I fire any pistols which more or less made them completely useless for me except in fringe cases and even then for sniping someone from a distance you'd be better off using the phantom blades.

There was nothing wrong with being able to take a human shield or whistle or a whole host of other moves the previous games let you do, that you can no longer do in Unity because....? Removing them took away tactical options, not made combat more tactical.

Again I like the concept for combat and stealth that Unity was going for but the execution was godawful. If Victory does refine those concepts into something great, then that'd be grand. As it stands I'd honestly rather put up with the shallow combat of earlier games than the plodding, tedious and annoying combat of Unity.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Unity is pretty offputting for completionists too. So much poo poo to do that it gets overwhelming quickly.

Having said that I don't hate Unity and it's definitely the model future games should build off, but they do need to fix the technical issues and gameplay issues for Victory. Hopefully Victory should run better anyway not only because of optimization but also because there weren't exactly huge large crowds protesting in Victorian London.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rogue has a ton of more collectibles and random poo poo to do then Unity.

There's more fragments than cockades. More chests in Rogue. More viewpoints. The Naval Campaign which was even loving worse than the Unity app missions. And then there's another half dozen types of collectibles.

Unity is so off putting because the game doesn't make any effort to disguise all the stuff you can do.

Rogue there's just a ton of poo poo to do with little variety and horrible balance issues with rewards

I guess that's exactly it to be honest. Rogue introduces things to you while Unity just shits it out everywhere and your map is always cluttered with poo poo to do at all times. Though truth be told, maybe I'm just getting tired of Ubisoft collectathons. I never even bothered 100%ing Assassin's Creed 3 or both Far Cry 3 and 4 because of it. Too much effort for very little gain.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

All dummied out because Ubisoft had to get the game out for the end of 2012, bugs and all. AC 3 should have been a far better game than it actually was. Same with Unity.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

If Assassin's Creed were going to do Japan, I'd rather it took place during the Satsuma Rebellion rather than the Sengoku era. Japan facing modernization seems to be a good fit for the Assassin vs Templar conflict and they could even bring over the naval battles from Black Flag and Rogue if need be.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Isn't this just basically video game adaptions of Assassin's Creed Brahman and Assassin's Creed The Fall? Not that it is a particularly bad idea mind you, I don't think a lot of fans are aware they exist.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I meant framerate more than anything else.

It's better, but you still need a really good rig to run the game well at max settings.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tempo 119 posted:

The car bit was just a jokey handwave for why the fictional games company only makes Assassin's Creed games. When real-life Ubisoft wants to make games in a modern setting, they're not Assassin's Creed games.

Edit: I mean, these days they basically are, but they don't use the same framing story

Watch_Dogs is supposedly set in the modern day setting of Assassin's Creed. You even kill a character from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag during Watch_Dogs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, Aiden was a pretty awful protagonist. Being a vigilante out for revenge when it's his own drat fault in the first place and he invades peoples privacy, including his own sister who he is unhealthily attached to in a very creepy way.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Even-number theory still works fine in retrospect since Into Darkness makes the 2009 Star Trek look masterful. And of course counting Galaxy Quest.

I wonder what the Galaxy Quest of the AC series will be.

Shadow of Mordor.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't imagine Victorian London will be as busy as Unity's French Revolution. The streets are more cramped, dirty and probably full of orphans. Not revolutionaries.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

According to Kotaku sources, Assassin's Creed Syndicate took some inspiration from GTA 5 and there are two playable characters, Jacob and his sister Evie.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

macnbc posted:

Jason Schreier reported on it and usually he gets pretty good intel, but the same article says that Ubisoft is planning to go without a multiplayer mode this year, and I find that to be rather hard to believe.

I dunno. Unity only had co-op for multiplayer and didn't have the multiplayer that was in since Brotherhood but all the online connectivity stuff is what caused a lot of the problems in Unity in the first place. I could kind of see them taking a break to rethink how multiplayer should be implemented.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It looks okay I guess.

That's all I can really say about it. It looks better than Unity and 3 but that's not much of an accomplishment, but doesn't look nearly as cool as Black Flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The whole reveal trailer looked like Victorian era anti-Tory propaganda.

I approve.

• Locked thread