Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ethanol posted:

tune back next week when we review far cry 4, or, yet another horribly unoptimized cash cow ubisoft open world IP

let's see how they ignored consumer demands this time

Rogue runs fine, and is a good game apparently.

And we've seen Far Cry 4 played on a number of youtube streams, it always runs fine on their consoles/PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Don Gato posted:

I still have no idea what the Templar plot in AC3 was supposed to be. It seemed like at first they wanted to start the revolution, because they started the Boston Massacre but then afterwards they were hellbent on ending it except for when they weren't. And I know this is a controversial opinion but I liked Shaun's contrarian opinions on why the American Revolution happened, it was a nice change of pace from what I heard growing up about the revolution being about colonists and OUR FREEDOM. Shaun himself is still a douche, however.

They wanted the Colonies to be free, but wanted them to be free under their rule.

Or as they put it to Conner, Washington and the others were just as bad as the British, and would keep exploiting people/screwing the natives if they had a chance. The Templars wanted to kill Washington/the leaders of the Revolution and replace them with themselves/Lee. Then they'd win the war, give full rights to the Natives ( who'd help them find more Precursor sites, but also probably join the Templars en masse. ), and rule the Americas as a new Templar stronghold.

Also this isn't mentioned in the game at all, only the comic that came with it, but they aren't actually Templars. Haythem was sent over to America to find the site, but around the same time he found it/invited Lee into the Order, he found out the guy that sent him from the beginning of the game murdered his dad/sold his sister off as a slave, so he went back and murdered every single Templar he knew about in the old world. The American Templars basically wanted to form a new Order that was a mix between the Templars pragmatism, with the Assassins goals. Then Conner killed them all because plot.

Just when you thought 3 couldn't get any funnier. If Conner didn't exist, none of the poo poo in the future would be happening, because Haythem's Templars would have molded the Order into more proactive Assassins, and they'd have probably kept exterminating the few remaining Templars in the old world. The Americas would have become some sort of crazed police state of course, but the world wouldn't be ending!

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 16, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Don Gato posted:

It sure would have been great if that was mentioned in any loving place in the game. Or gave the assassin's any goals other than STOP TEMPLARS to explain why I want to stop people who seem to have Connor's motives in mind. It does confirm that Haytham Kenway is still the best character in the game, he just stabs people and gets things done. Do they ever explain why he became a Templar in the first place, seeing as his dad was an assassin? I still haven't finished Black Flag's story since I lost interest after the British take back Nassau and just played the game like it was Sid Meier's Pirates 2013 Edition.

Again, comics, but his sister was being courted by a Templar that didn't know they were an Assassin family. He eventually figured it out, and started trying to acclimate himself to them, to learn secrets of the order. After she snubbed him, he decided to kill Edward and kidnap her, while raising young Haytham as his own. It was only after he arrived in the Americas/start the American Templars did Haytham find out, and it caused him to go murder every single Templar in Birch's organization, rescue his sister, and declare his group was no longer Templars.

Since he figured all the Assassins had been killed, he decided the best course of action was to rebuild both Orders as one, to stop the fighting between the two. So he formed his own group that had benevolent goals for the Colonies/people of the world, but would achieve those goals through violence/action. Then his son stabbed him to death because he was mean to a guard once.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Anime_Otaku posted:

Sorry for going back a game or two but do you "need" to finish AC 3 for Black Flag and Unity to make sense? I found 3 clunky and wasn't a fan of Connor compared to Ezio, the only 2 games I played in the franchise I didn't complete the story in were the original (drat flag run quests) and 3.

1/2/Bro/3 are all you need to play to understand the modern plot. 2/Bro/Rev are all you need to play to see the Ezio plot. 3/Black Flag/Rogue are all you need to understand the Kenway family plot ( or just Black Flag honestly, 3/Rogue have ties to Black Flag, but neither are must play/that great. ). Liberation adds flavor to 3/Black Flag/Rogue. Unity is a new beginning for the series, although it may/probably will eventually tie into the events of Black Flag.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'd say you'd need a very specific body build to satisfy the coolness requirement for those jackets.

Eh for the first yeah. Covert is a pretty normal hoodie though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Also gotta keep in mind that it sounds like, what, Ubisoft Quebec is doing Victory? So we don't know what to expect from them if this will be their first real AC center-stage.

So far all the AssCreeds made by the core group ( 1, 3, Unity ) have been trash. All the ones made by internal companies ( 2, Bro, Black Flag, Rogue ), but not that initial group have been good. And then Revelation was made by a company owned by Ubisoft and ended up ok, nowhere near as good as the best AssCreed games, but significantly better then 1/3/Unity.

At the rate things are going "Made by the core Assassin Creed team!" is a reminder you should avoid the title.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

TheMaskedChemist posted:

Supernatural abilities like seeing through walls, and being able to tell someone's intent or how important they are by staring at them?

Both are easily handwaved by "Assassins are really good at listening for verbal cues/have the patrol routes memorized so they know when people are going to be in certain places." and "That dude has like 7 swords on him, he's probably not someone I should gently caress with/That guy looks exactly like the guy I was told to kill, and is surrounded by armed guards."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I dunno, I like the trailer.

Both characters seem to fill roles Ubisoft has been pushing, main dude seems to be silly/carefree/who gives a gently caress like Ezio and Edward, Evie seems to be a bit more structured/goal orientated like Conner/Shay/Altair. Seems like they are pandering to both crowds, but it also means I can have a jackass good guy character again.

"Kill everyone in London to get at the big bads" worked just fine in AssCreed 2, and despite being pretty simple is a far better plot device then whatever the hell the plot was in 3/Unity.

The idea of gang takeover being a major mechanic, as well as the big bad underlings having zones they control you can weaken by murdering their key buddies/them is probably going to be a shallow experience, but not an unfun one. Hell, Crackdown managed to get a sequel entirely off the strength of that mechanic, shallow as it was there.

I dunno. You can rightfully throw a lot of accusations at Ubisoft, but the one thing they've always done is listen and change systems based off player feedback. When everyone said the best thing they could do after Far Cry 3 was make more Far Cry 3, they did just that. When people said Conner was trash/AC3 was bad, they completely changed the formula, and got rid of the things people didn't like the most. When people said they didn't like how Conviction played, they went back to the drawing board and went out of their way to make stealth/"old" Splinter Cell gameplay modern and fun again for Blacklist.

Syndicate will be their first chance to prove themselves after Unity, and I doubt they are just going to take a steaming poo poo on everyone's plate to kill their golden goose franchise because they have no other options.

• Locked thread