Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
We probably ought to at least wait until the game is officially out and inevitably* day one patched before we assess the quality of it.

*Inevitably because that's apparently how games are these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Megasabin posted:

The person in the PS4 thread was making the observations AFTER the day 1 patch had been applied. It was a stuttering mess with low FPS even after the 800mb~ day 1 patch.

He was making observations after a patch was applied, according to him. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm with the guy who said it's stupid that any game needs a patch the day it comes out. But all we have so far are the opinions of one guy, playing before the game's release date. For all we know there's a patch that doesn't even appear on PSN until tomorrow. Hell for all we know the dude doesn't even have the game.*

I'm not saying we should wait for the reviews, because I think we've all been stung by misleading reviews before, but let's at least wait until lots of us have got there hands on the thing and played it before castigating it.

* I mean, sure, he probably has, but my point is it's one guy on the internet. He might not even be a guy. He might be a dog.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Megasabin posted:

He posted a picture of the actual box that had arrived in the mail. He said it applied an 800mb day one patch. He's not an official reviewer, he's just some dude on SA posting his opinion.

Not sure what more you want here. If you really want to play it yourself to make these conclusions, that's fine, but there's a ton of people in the thread who are right on the edge of paying 60 dollars, and they should know what people who actually own the game are saying.

You've answered your own question. What more I want is the opinions of more than just one person playing a game before its release date.

If these 'ton of people' are really swayed by a single opinion, perhaps they should be more careful with their 60 dollars in the first place. The game isn't going to sell out overnight, have some patience.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

macnbc posted:

Embargo down! Let's talk reviews.

Eurogamer: 7/10
Joystiq: 2.5/5
Will edit post with more.

In a nutshell Eurogamer said "It's very pretty, but it's still Assassin's Creed".

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Got Haggis? posted:

6.5/10 - polygon - http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/11/7192467/assassins-creed-unity-review-xbox-one-PS4-PC

never a good sign when your embargo doesn't lift until 12 hours after the game released

Or, three days before the game is released. Thanks for beta testing it for us, Ameribros!

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Cyra posted:

why did i buy this hours before the reviews went up. feeling that buyers remorse even as the game finishes downloading

lesson learned. hopefully it's still enjoyable, i really like the series

The reviews pretty much say it looks lovely and is more of the same Assassin's Creed. If you like the series you'll like this one, but, they say, there's nothing new.

They also complain that Arno is disappointing because all he's interested in is revenge, and unlike Edward. Who, according to the reviewers was so much more fun and interesting (despite the fact that you might remember he was only motivated by one thing; money).

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Which makes it a worse game because I can't sail and listen to the awesome shanties.

Did you know there is a version of the Black Flag soundtrack that is just shanties?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Oh yeah I know. I'm listening to it now actually.

Excellent. I like the cut of your jib, sir/madam.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
There's probably not much further forwards in time they can really go, didn't Ubisoft say that cars and widespread use of guns are anathema for the series?

Having said that I'd like to see an AC game in 1920s Weimar Germany. May a multi-protagonist thing set in several cities, European and American.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I'm trying to do all the Café Theatre missions as soon as they became available to make sure I end up with ALL THE MONEY later on.

I am not, however, enjoying being killed in what feels like a single shot from any firearm. So two questions, does Arno ever stop being such a bullet lightweight, and should I just do some story missions or something and level up a bit, or grit my teeth and just power through the remaining café missions?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

For some reason in the English version they decided to give all the French characters English accents. It was jarring enough to make me put the game on French. Can they not do comical French accents like they did comical Italian accents?

I know, it's like they've never even seen 'Allo 'Allo.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I applied to [GBG0] as frontlinekhan.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I would kill several men for an AC in a Parisian belle époque setting, like those bits from Unity. But good like Black Flag.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

macnbc posted:

So instead of a pirate ship you've got a pirate air balloon?

That sounds like some sort of Assassin's Creed Bioshock Infinite lovechild.

(I'd buy it.)

YES. YES EXACTLY THIS.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I assume that any modern day sections of Rogue don't feature Desmond, right?

Given his reaction to the twist early in AC3 and all of his bullshit I had to put up with for five games I would have rather enjoyed forcing him to relive his life as a Templar this time around.

(I like the modern day stuff and the Subject 16 puzzles, I just thought Desmond was a mug).

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Palpek posted:

He gets killed at the end of AC3 so all games after it don't feature him.

Yeah I knew he died, but I wasn't sure when Rogue was set.

As it's a Templar game, does this mean Danny loving Wallace is also absent? Because I do not like Danny Wallace.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

No Danny Wallace. Who I actually like. I thought Desmond was kind of a goofball, so I liked having a character around whose sole function was to go "who the gently caress is this guy? The Chosen One? Goddamn, that's stupid."

I take your point about Desmond, but we had him doing his nonsense over 5 pretty long games. It wore thin very quickly for me. I do like the modern day stuff though and know I'm pretty much in a minority there.

Danny Wallace is far too tied up with Dave Gorman, who I would never tire of punching, in my mind to be redeemed though. I hear he's a nice guy, but it's much too late for that now. And if I want deadpan English snark in my murder sim I'm more than capable of doing it myself.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Other than the improved free-running, the thing I did like about Unity was the map, the way you could have it as a bird's-eye view, but you could also zoom in an make it all 3D. Good work, map designers.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Is the PC version of Rogue particularly hardware demanding? I can run Black Flag with it looking all pretty, so I should be ok, right?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Likely you'll run it better. It seems quite well optimized.

Oh neat, thanks. I'd been putting off buying it, but the positive talk in this thread has changed my mind.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Just started playing and holy crap these accents are awful. I mean, at leat Sean in The Saboteur had a comedy Irish accent but Shay... Wow.

Still, stabby murder fun.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Doc Morbid posted:

I think he became a mercenary first and did that for a while to earn more money to buy a new car afford his daughter's treatments, and then Vidic showed up with his miracle cure stuff.

Having just heard the relevant audio file in-game I can confirm that this is how it went down. It's referred to as him becoming a merc to afford "better" treatment for his daughter, so maybe she was being looked after by the Finnish NHS equivalent and he wanted to go private, then Vidic shows up with his wonder pills.

As to Shay's awful voice actor, IMDb only lists him working on this and a short film. Good job hiring people who can do accents Ubisoft.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Snuffman posted:

E3. We only know about Victory due to a reaaaallly early leak (which I'm sure someone got fired for/banned from any Ubisoft thing ever).

Which other Creed games has Quebec helmed?

e: Wikipedia is a filthy liar.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Freedom Cry was good as heck. But with a sour taste in my mouth from Unity, I'll probably put off the next one until well into 2016 while I poopsock MGS5.

I enjoy little bits of Unity every now and then, but I still get that sour taste from the game as a whole. Rogue, though is doing a lot to restore my confidence in the series. Just bring back the Subject 16 puzzles and use Unity's free-run up/down mechanic and Victory might be ok.

Unity really does feel like an Assassins Creed game that was detached from the world of game design (and other entries in it's own damned series) after AC3.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
ENGAGE STEALTH MODE!

*removes Top Hat*

Eh, I'm actually really looking forward to this.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Eurogamer posted:

Syndicate will be the first Assassin's Creed game set in a properly post-Industrial era. Think of London but with an impoverished working class, dirty living conditions and general despair among the poor. Now rewind around a century from 2015 and you're there.

It's funny because it's true.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I still want more Subject 16 puzzles :(

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Are these the ones that had like the "Hidden Image Puzzle" and Ciphers and other fun puzzly stuff? That you activated by touching the symbols you saw through eagle vision on buildings and such?

If so, I really liked those. I'm one of those weird people who kind of liked most of the sci-fi stuff anyway. I loved Black Flag, INCLUDING the "You're making a game" poo poo.

Yes, yes they are. I loved the conspiracy theory stuff in those, and I too am one of those weird people who likes the sci-fi stuff like working at Ubisoft Abstergo Entertainment in Black Flag/Rogue.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

The Grimace posted:

Was cleaning out my PS4's videos and I found this masterpiece. It's not an amazing glitch, but it makes me laugh a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75R_YT8j-WA

That made me laugh too. I love how ambivalent the NPCs are to all the effort Arno is putting into his comedy running.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
The thing that annoyed me most about Unity was all the stuff you'd taken for granted (for example, double assassinations) being locked behind fecking skill points.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

marktheando posted:

I'm all for a game where you play a pair of communist twins who murder rich people in Victorian London, but it's modern enough that it really feels weird that this is an Assassin's Creed game. With no swordplay and much more effective guns than in previous settings the combat should be completely different for one thing. But I know it won't be.

The lack of swordplay and better guns sound like ideal conditions for making AC5:Kill The Rich a much more stealth focused game where, outside of recruiting gangs of poors, you have to actually behave like an assassin and creep up on people to stab them.

But it's Ubisoft, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Palpek posted:

Adewale for life and Haytham for president.

Adewale is great, but Aveline is where it's at.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Furism posted:

First off, gently caress that threat title. Je vous emmerde avec vos blagues à la con. :france:

Second, I just got this from the Steam sale. Is there any tl;dr thing I should do/not do?

Third, does anybody play in French with English subtitles?

1) Je suis d'accord
2) I ended up just powering through the story and ignoring everything else, which is the opposite of how I usually play an AC game. I really wanted to love Unity but it felt like it went out of it's way to annoy me.
3) That is the only correct way to play. If there had been an 'Allo 'Allo setting, that would have also been correct.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
If no one has already started work on a new thread for Syndicate, can I volunteer to make one?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

I want it to be the called Assassin's Creed Syndicate: The Ragged Trousered Exsanguinist please.

Oh my god that is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
OK, this dragged on a bit, so it may well have a feeling of "will this do?" and I borrowed the structure from this thread's OP, but here it is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744138&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post450773570

• Locked thread