Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
I still really don't get what happened in the last year or two. "THEY LIED IN THEIR PRE-RELEASE MEDIA! SALT THEIR FIELDS AND BURN THEIR FAMILIES!" Yeah? They always have.

That said, it does look pretty lovely in those picture, but that last video that was still up looked relatively okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Only mentions of embargos I can find say they lift today (Monday NA), but I don't find anything official.

E: Misread the date on those posts. No idea when review embargos lift.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't know if we've seen the total size of Paris, but if 95% of the game is spent there I assume it's going to be the series first city-sized city, and therefore 20% is probably still significant.

Or it's all bullshit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Given the context we can probably arrange that. :colbert:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can I build my character for stealth stabbing only and thus not have to walk around carrying a whole arsenal of weapons I never plan to use?

Yeeeeessss? Sort of but probably not really, from what I'm aware of.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I wonder what kind of friendly fire there is in free roam/coop missions. If I see anyone wearing that they're getting shot.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Insert long whistle for this shot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Should I play Rogue before Unity? Or does it really not matter?

Probably won't matter one whit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

macnbc posted:

"Apologies users, this experience isn't available in your country."

Europe always gets the cooler AC marketing. :(

Because apparently Ubisoft has just decided to make their "We're big boy distributors" move now, pulling all their games from Steam and forcing people to get them on UPlay. I hope you preordered on Steam.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm pretty sure the time anomaly is just going to be "Here's the Eiffel Tower, kill planes on it" with a smattering of talky bits around it, nothing spectacular.

Orv
May 4, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

I've heard that all three of the big Ubisoft releases this season contain in-app-purchases. Maybe they're running into an old Valve policy or something? Longshot, it's probably Ubisoft being a pack of idiots like EA.

The Crew for sure does, wouldn't be terribly surprised if the others did.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

all this poo poo looks stupid and intrusive as gently caress, jesus. it's like the most uplay bonus bullshit they've ever crammed into a game. No wonder the review embargo doesn't lift till the day of release.

As ever, review embargo dates don't mean poo poo.

That said, a lot of the UI seems really incredibly awful. The coop health and abilities are intrusive as hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The game on the stream is glitching out like mad.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ethanol posted:

it's not a good excuse I will make fun of you endlessly for buying a vid card based on an AC game

don't listen to me, follow your dreams

Well he's not going to upgrade it for Excel now is he.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Minsky posted:

Someone is streaming the game. Not sure how long it's gonna last:

http://www.twitch.tv/nukemdukem

Apparently it's on Ubisoft's blessing/behalf, open world content only.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

what the tits there are laser swords in this game

Esplain Lucy.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Adun posted:

I'm excited for Unity, if only because I'm already so committed to the series, but I think I've finally learned my lesson and I'm going to wait until Black Friday or the next time Amazon does their B2G1 deal before I order it.

Target is doing that right now, if that's what you desire.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

But why not let the player show off their customization to other players? One reason I liked Saints Row multiplayer is seeing all the crazy poo poo the other players came up with.

They see your customization of armor and weapons, your face just isn't Arno, it's some random beardy schmuck. Which isn't important in the first place because hoods.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Any word on Steam Preload yet?

Probably today (NA Monday).

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Why the gently caress are you playing Assassin's Creed with a mouse anyways? I did that once with AC2 while my controller wasn't working, and never loving again. The beauty of PC is that you can use mouse and keyboard for games that control better with them like FPSes and RTSes, but also controllers for games that control better with one like fighting games and third person action games like AC.

This is a late as hell response, but I use M&KB for all of the AC games. Have since the beginning, except for Black Flag when I tried to use controller for about two hours because I'd been using it a ton for Souls games over the past two years. I'll say that compared to every time I hear "Oh yeah I just jumped off a roof for no reason all the time in AC__" I've never once had that problem while using M&KB with the games, and the rest of it controls fine as well.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I got a Uplay key from Green Man Gaming and it's currently downlading via Uplay though - it's not on Steam.

They also said there would be no Uplay preload for Watch Dogs and there absolutely was. It's probably a right hand left hand issue because Ubisoft is enormous.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

why on Earth would anyone want to play a game below the par of AC2 if they like the AC series? I know this is now the popular sentence to parrot but it's a boring one and insinuates people who play the series are retarded.

Probably because AC2 was both an exceptional game and such an enormous improvement over AC1 that it's hard to compare things to it. Since the series has been mostly treading water in terms of forward mechanics progress since then, it's hard to get a game better than AC2 because nothing has been such a dramatic leap forward. Unity might be that game, but probably won't be.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Unity kind of has the look of a "proper" followup to the AC2 material, which will probably be interesting to see reflect in reviews (maybe the words "return to form" thrown around). AC3/4 took different landscapes than the kind of architecture in Rome/Paris. Vertical exploration is something I missed a lot even in AC4 with its tiny huts and beach villages.

Yeah I like what I've seen so far in those areas, I'm just sort of worried that it might also be another AC3, which looked great in prerelease and then... was AC3.

E: :siren: In case no-one had noticed, it appears to be a 12AM PST/3AM EST launch.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 11, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
Burn the witch.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Except for the part where no-one was defending it.

Yet.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

so will the game unlock on uplay/steam at 12 EST (i.e. in seven minutes)? Or at 12 pm?

12 PST, 2 hours 56 minutes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why is this even a thing? In either 3 or Black Flag, I forget which, they made it so you will climb on stuff if you run into it even when walking normally, i.e. not holding down R1. That goes against one of their basic design principles from the beginning of the series, and one that I always liked.

Well now we've got Climb Up/Climb Down buttons so that should be better, at least in terms of random climbing. Random jumping off stuff, :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011

rizuhbull posted:

So how much online stuff is there? Co-op missions and features and whatnot.

Co-op Missions: Repeatable 2-4 players distinct missions mostly separate from the main story for loot (money/items), no idea on number of individual missions.

Other stuff: Full free roam for 4 players of the entire game (aside from probably Future Paris and specific story areas).

Orv
May 4, 2011
The faces of next years coop SP Creed game?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Ahahaha, the in-universe genre of the Abstergo games is TIE Fighter.

E: Wow, ice cold Ubisoft, ice cold.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BabelFish posted:

Oh good lord, how did they make the "real world stuff" even STUPIDER. It must be a running gag at ubisoft by now.

"Press play to join the assassins"

"They'll put up with whatever Dan Brown poo poo we can come up with, let the interns do it."

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

What's this? That hood-suit looks completely stupid, in a good way.

It's the initial Abstergo-ified Animus setup they throw you into at the start of the game, while they're still under the pretense that you're just a normal dude/dudette playing a Total Immersive Experience game. Where-in they tease a bunch of AC games that'll take years or never happen.

I wish this didn't run like poo poo for me because the climbing is a goddamn dream and the fighting as at least fresh, if not harder.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It would seem I cannot collect certain chests because of Ubisoft server issues. :what:

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Created a SA club for co-op on the PC! With the uncreative name of "SAAssassins" and a club tag of "SA" it shouldn't be hard to find. Otherwise you can add me on uplay at Vazeron1 and i think I can invite you then.

And frankly I'd be glad to have some goons to do coop with since lol I don't know anyone IRL who has Unity on PC no less.

There's already one and it's in the OP. :ssh:

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Awh gently caress. I'm dumb. Thanks though! I don't see anything about a Club though, which is a Unity specific thing, not a steam thing. It's buried under the menus but it's some weird coop thing I gather.

Yeah I'll yell at Shockeh and set it up if he doesn't want to, if he's even playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

I don't see this in the OP.

Directly under release dates.

The writers of this game (at least a specific part of it) owe a great debt to Arkham Asylum.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vodos posted:

A club is an ingame thing, not a steam group.

Misunderstood the question. Well, now there is one.

:siren: If you're a dumb enough idiot to own AC:Unity on PC, Goon_Ass [SAAC] now exists. I don't know if you can join it directly by searching, if not, add me on Uplay at Orvidos.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm going to bed but I sent you a request, and will join the club once I log back in.

Still dunno how it works though.

It looks like it's mostly a stats/perk consolidation for friends/like-minded players. Average Missions Per Member, doing certain things gives all players in the club boosts (+10% Creed points for actions, etc) and it keeps track of a bunch of minutiae.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Buckle up.

Alexander Sliwinski ‏@Sliwinski 3m3 minutes ago
You got an hour and 40 minutes to get some microwave popcorn before viewing what greed mixed with systemic management failure looks like.

Now sure this could be talking about something else but uh...probably not. Alex Navarro from Giant Bomb retweeted this and I'm pretty sure he's reviewing the game for them as well.

Yeah, even if the game itself is a good AC game, and it seems like maybe it sort of is, the performance poo poo is entirely unacceptable and if they get pasted entirely for that they deserve it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

after the poo poo they've been pulling since Watchdogs I entirely welcome this being the year ubisoft gets its poo poo pushed in

"The poo poo they've been pulling since Watch Dogs"? They haven't released anything since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

That's actually super worrying regardless of my personal feelings vis a vis Jim Sterling, 'cause he loves to be paid to poo poo on things.

I mean, super worrying in the context that I've already played three hours of the game because I'm a loving idiot, but still.

• Locked thread