Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

I am all for Animus fuckery if it leads to AC6 being balls out future tech vs. WW1 trench warfare vs. gladiators or whatever.

Balls out Animus fuckery is what we should have got when Desmond was trapped in the Animus and going crazy from the bleeding effect in AC:Revelations.

Instead: AC: Revelations. Not a bad entry, especially compared to AC3, but definitely not as crazy as it could have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Will Rogue have shanties?

this is important

YES!

New shanties can be heard in the gameplay videos posted!

Jolly Roving Tar already confirmed*

*totally serious. May not match the version in game.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 4, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Orv posted:

Because apparently Ubisoft has just decided to make their "We're big boy distributors" move now, pulling all their games from Steam and forcing people to get them on UPlay. I hope you preordered on Steam.

Ha ha. No way. Looks like just Unity got pulled.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Jonad posted:

You guys realize that you still need to launch Ubisoft games from uPlay even if you buy them on Steam, right?

Yes, however I always preferred getting uplay games through Steam cause Steam does a better job of patching games than Uplay.

Ahhhh the nightmarish future where every publisher has their own store is finally coming to fruition.
:smith:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Still in my library though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

AngryBooch posted:

I've heard that all three of the big Ubisoft releases this season contain in-app-purchases. Maybe they're running into an old Valve policy or something? Longshot, it's probably Ubisoft being a pack of idiots like EA.

Confusing though...AC3 and AC4 had IAP in the multiplayer.

Probably don't want to give Valve a cut.

EDIT: Seems like they're just taking the above system and applying it to single player? Not terribly cool IMHO.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 7, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The hack points dont seem any different than Erudito points in AC3 and AC4 multiplayer. They're just applying them to single player now which makes sense cause the coop multiplayer is seamless.

I don't like it, but if its an intrusive as Erudito points, I can live with it.

EDIT: Time to go all tinfoil and say that in putting AC:U and FC4 back on Steam, people will rush to buy them before they get pulled again. Brilliant Ubisoft, brilliant...

More likely someone went all trigger happy on pulling it from the UK and accidentally pulled it from all stores.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 8, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Does anyone know if we're getting a weird continuation of the "Modern Day" story line from Black Flag in Unity? Or is that in Rogue? And I guess I shouldn't say continuation but just like...more weird links and poo poo. Or is this something that Ubi has managed to keep close to the chest?

They've kept it pretty close to their chest.

There was a small leak implying that for Unity you'll be working for the Assassins and going into the Animus for ~reasons~

The current assumption with Rogue is that it'll be an "Abstergo Entertainment" release like Liberation.

Nnnope! Looks like you're playing as An Abstergo Entertainment employee again! Direct continuation!

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 8, 2014

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

psychoJ posted:

This is definitely how I think Unity and Rogue are gonna pan out for sure. And I am still gonna play and enjoy them because I am one of those fans. I am the problem with video games.

Me too. :(

But at the end of the day, there's really nothing quite like the AssCreed games.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It looks like 24 hours to go and still no Steam preload. Thanks Ubisoft.

And that answers the question I was going to ask. Bummer. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ymgve posted:

Welp.

(Companion app)

I...wait...what...we have to PAY for the companion app this time around? :psyduck:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Volkerball posted:

It doesn't look like it's gonna have much bearing on gameplay like Kenway's fleet did though.

Looking over the app on iOS (its out BTW), there's a nomad brotherhood mechanic similar to AC:Brohood/Revelations. So there's some stuff to do when not playing the game, I guess.

So the base app is free, there's a paid "premium option" as seen above.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

TheCoon posted:

No, I would rather have a locked 30fps than having it jump up and down depending on what's on screen. On roofs I can get 60fps and in crowds I get around 35, owing to my non-overclocked cpu.

e: How do you open Blue chests? Sometimes it just times out but once it said I had to get Nomad Coins from somewhere?

I haven't played Unity yet but I have played with the companion app. Nomad coins are what you get from doing the Nomad Assassin missions. Think Kenway's Fleet meets ACBro's guild mission mechanics. The spin this time is to unlock missions you have to find glyphs on structures.

I like it. A fun time waster when away from the game that helps me in game.

Also "premium" doesn't seem worth it.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I guess I'm weird. :saddowns:

I'm having no performance problems, the framerate is nice and stable, and I'm finding the game pretty fun. I'd put it on equal footing with AC2. I'm just bummed the modern day storyline has been pushed so far into the background (which I get that people will really like), and there's no out-of-animus stuff from what I can tell.

I'm not going to say there's no performance issues though, my roommate has a radeon and its running like poo poo for him.

I'm running:
Intel i5-3550
8 GB of RAM
Geforce 780 GTX

Latest Geforce drivers.

Using the 780 settings suggested here.

With vsync on cause I get really bad tearing on my monitor otherwise (in everything).

Maybe its an Nvidia vs Radeon thing?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mischitary posted:

I definitely felt like Patrice had at least one more AC left in him that would've been incredible. Especially with the way 2 ended, it really seemed like he was prepared to make a 3rd game that would've tied up the "trilogy".

As much as I like Assassins Creed (and as I said earlier, I'm the dumbass that buys these things every year AND I like Unity), the series really needs to take a break. Just, go away for a few years. Take 2-3 years and make the best Assassins Creed game they can.

2 in one year (3 if you count HD:Liberation) is a bit much.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

Besides the awful performance issues (1.2 seems to be aimed to fix, so there's that I guess) I've been playing Unity for the past five hours and having a total blast, so I guess I shouldn't let ~*games journalists*~ tell me what my opinions should be! Game's a ton of fun even with a janky framerate, so I can't say I particularly feel a lot of buyer's remorse.

Can anybody open those blue/yellow chests yet? I go to the initiates thing but it doesn't seem to even do anything, like it's unfinished.

If you already have an Initiates account, don't try to create one in game.

Bye bye Initiates account I've had since Initiates launched. :(

My account got wiped and reset. Badges, levels, all gone. I know the values changed when initiates relaunched, but mine got reset to squat when I was level 2 or 3 yesterday.

Also, despite using the AC Unity app, and unlocking some blue chests in the app, I still cant open them in game.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Capn Beeb posted:

How long would it take you to get the cash needed to unlock poo poo?

Much like every Asscreed game since 2, there's a system by which you can generate x cash every 15/20 minutes, which can then be retrieved. In this case you're renovating a cafe/club and subsequent network of cafe's in each district.

I broke the game by blitzing renovating the main Cafe fully early on, netting me 5k every 15 minutes. Each further Cafe appears to be adding an additional 1k. Where I am in the game, 400-500 bucks is a generous mission reward. Whoops.

What I'm saying is, like every Asscreed game the economy is broken. The only thing stopping me buying "the best stuff" is that it's gated behind sequences and achievements.

There is no reason to spend real money on helix points. Ever.

Related, the last mission for the main Cafe is goddamn hard at level 2. I earned my game break. :mad:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The companion app definitely isn't talking to Uplay right, I can see myself and the stuff I've unlocked but the data is...inconsistent. I have a cafe, it says I don't. I unlocked a chest, it tells me PLAY THE COMPANION APP. Also waaaay grindier than Kenway's fleet. 3 or so missions in and they already take 2-6 hours to complete. I dread what the harder districts are like.

Initiates is fixed today. :shobon: Back to level 21.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

effervescible posted:

Has anyone done the nomad brotherhood stuff in the companion app? I want to try that, but it's grayed out on my phone. Is it like Kenway's Fleet where you have to progress to certain point in the story to unlock it?

I thought the same, but no: outside of chests, nomad is entirely contained in the app and playable from the start.

To unlock missions you have to select a building in-app and find the glyphs on it. Tap to do a ping, tap the symbols as they appear. Find all the symbols and unlock a mission.

IMHO, Nomads isn't worth the trouble. Unlike Kenway's Fleet, the rewards and gameplay impact to the main game is minimal or nonexistent. The mission timers are so long that when you can unlock something decent, you already have more money or better equipment.

Kenway's fleet only hit 6 hour timers towards the end. I'm at 6 hour timers on the first non-training missions. Ugh.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently if you started the companion app before the game release, you're locked out of the nomad missions (and therefore unlocking stuff) completely.

I started the app before finishing downloading the game and I can start nomad missions fine.

I just can't unlock nomad chests in game...which is kinda the point. :v:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ymgve posted:

Anyone else having an issue where the game will freeze completely for like 5-10 seconds, then resume as if nothing happened? Seems to happen a few times each hour.

Nvidia?

I thought it was just me and my video card was overheating or something. Happens waaay more in the south...I haven't been to the southernmost districts but get a feeling I might see that crash everyone is seeing.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Endrion posted:

From what I can gather, Initiates was at some point a social network portal thing they had going for the AC games, but they shuttered the site for a major overhaul into what it is now some time back. What it is now seems to be part of a new all-AC-game system rollout alongside the new games, but I'm betting not everything is in place yet (There's sections for "Daily challenges" and the like that aren't open yet). Best guess? Give it a few days till they get their act together... and possibly once everyone stops hammering the uPlay network in general trying to get their games running.

Pretty bummed they took all the obsessive lore stuff out of initiates and turned it into yet another achievement hub. The obsessive lore stuff was why I wanted into the beta in the first place. :(

Like someone earlier said, ac initiates keeps going up and down. Prior to Unity, I was level 15, then the site revamped and I was level 2, then something went wrong and I thought my profile was gone but now it's back and I'm level 22. IDK.

Give Ubisoft a week to get it sorted?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Psiharis posted:

There's gotta be a new game fad they can glom onto for the next one, since I expect mysteries to go the way of tower defense. Hey I know, MineCraft is hip, let's make players build the Great Wall one voxel at a time.

Nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor.

Set the game in Victorian London so you can reuse assets, hunt the templars as you work your way up the ranks to kill the head templars.

It writes itself!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

on that note, though, I remember getting the Edward Kenway outfit, and then the next day taking it off, and ever since I haven't been able to access it. It's locked off, says I need to go get the chest, but I've already loving opened the chest so it's not like I can go re-get it. Has this happened to anyone else or am I hosed?

Initiates goes up and down and with it your access to the outfits. Don't worry, totally "normal" sadly.

Also Ubisoft has already heavily implied in patch notes that they aren't going to do anything about performance (send us your performance issues, we'll look into it).

If WatchDogs's "performance patch" is any indication, if they do put one out Unity will still run like crap on most systems. Watchdogs still studders for me and I can run BF4, DA inquisition and yes, even Unity, on High/Ultra settings without issue.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

Except for the entire post about how they're investigating performance issues and starting to rework and optimize engine to get it to run better.

http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-us/community/liveupdates/live_updates_details.aspx?c=tcm:152-185420-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Ah didn't see that. I remain cautiously optimistic. :)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I noticed it with Elise. A lot of her reaction faces really sell it without needing the usual crutch of saying their feelings out loud.

Yeah, there was an amazing moment when you're going to visit that apothecary and he just boots it when you walk in the store and Elise gives this amazing wordless well-what-did-you-think-would-happen? look.

The mocap really is quite incredible. The new Dragon Age seems jarring by comparison.

Ubisoft: Awful at optimizing but man, did you see that mocap??

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I can't believe I'm posting this after complaining about the companion app but I have questions cause, yes for some godforsaken reason I've taken to playing the Nomad game. Apparently I could be Zynga's favourite customer... :sigh:

1. Am I supposed to be able to unlock these nomad chests in game after unlocking them in the app? Cause it doesn't seem to be working and waiting 24 hours is laaaammme.

2. My game data seems to sync inconsistently. After syncing with the game, the whole city is unlocked (as it should be), with all my renovated cafes. This morning, 3 cafes are locked again and the game thinks I haven't visited 3 southern districts.

I guess this can all be answered with: the app is broken, sorry? :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

superh posted:

This seemed to break entirely for me - if I ever "unlocked" one while I wasn't actively playing Unity, it wouldn't let me go it it in game, and once the 24 hour countdown stopped they disappeared from the app but not from the game. I stopped playing Nomad for now because of this :(

I'm going to stop playing cause I lost all 4 high level guys after an 8 hour mission that had 95% success. Holy hell RNG...

:argh:

Oh. And the app being totally broken to hell.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

Ubisoft News: Initiates is now completely broken.

They seem to have opened up a bunch of stuff on the Initiates site (in addition to breaking it). Some sort of "Style" tracker with game "accomplishments" (assume actions generating assassin points?) being tracked to say what kind of assassin you are? Kind of neat.

I still miss all the modern day stuff they ripped out of Initiates though.

I don't really get the point of Initiates anymore. It used to be something akin to the Battlefield Veteran program, where you got rewarded for having previous games and all that modern day storyline stuff that you could sperg over. Now, I don't really get why its there and its a little way too in-your-face in game. I guess in addition to getting mission ratings, Ubisoft wants to break down the moment to moment gameplay completely and make the most computer-generated AC game yet?

The rating system seems to work though, I'm almost at the end of the game and haven't had a single mission where I've had to tail someone and listen to a conversation. :aaa:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

superh posted:

Although, I'm only on sequence 6 in Unity, do we get out into the countryside?

Sorry, no. :(

Finished the game last night. I'll go back and scoop up collectables and finish side missions later but all in all, I really liked it. Its not my favorite AC, that'll still be Brotherhood, but I really like what Unity did. The extra emphasis on stealth, the lack of weapon overload, the well realized city and the openended assassinations. All meshed together quite nicely.

If I had one complaint, outside of side-app/Initiates/microtranactions, its how awful the modern day story was in this one and particularly how it ended.

Oh, his skull is in the catacombs. Guess we don't need to worry about Abstergo finding it. Thanks.

The weak ending really drove home why the modern story needs to be there. In prior AC's it tied everything together and makes the build to the ending more meaningful with the discovery or use of the magic-maguffin in modern day. With out a real modern day story, AC Unity's ending feels anticlimactic by comparison.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Brotherhood and Black Flag had the best modern day story stuff. If you liked it, you could indulge it. If you didn't, you could stay in the Animus all the time except for the short periods you needed to leave it.

Pls bring back the modern storyline Ubisoft. :(

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Yay, "free" Farcry 4. I wanted it anyways and was waiting for a sale. Neat.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Lollerich posted:

Is there some way to claim it yet though?

Not yet but it's coming.

The reddit post on this whole thing was kinda vague. To Ubisoft's credit there was a rep answering questions but what wasn't made clear is whether season pass holders still get that Shao Jun side scroller (which I hope is like Mark of the Ninja but almost certainly won't be as good) and all the preorder nonsense.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

At least everyone having British accents will make sense! :haw:

Also, I think this is a new record for an AC game leaking.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Kin posted:

So, I'm part way through memory sequence 9 in Unity and is it just me or does almost none of the main game take part in the southern part of the map? Or is that about to dramatically change during the last 3 memory sequences?

I recall quite a bit of the last few sequences taking place in the lower part of the city. That said, I may be misremembering cause I was clearing out the cafe missions.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So is the DLC actually out on Steam? I can't find a concrete answer.

I get that its out on Uplay. I've restarted Steam, verified my AC:Unity install. Kind of at a loss for what else I can try...

EDIT: Haha...just as I post this I find my answer:

I'm a moron who preordered.

Preorder has a different product code or whatever in the Steam database than just regular Unity and Ubisoft, in their infinite wisdom, haven't added the DLC on Steam for people who preordered yet.

THANKS UBISOFT!*

*I got Farcry 4 for free, so I guess I can't complain too much. :shobon:

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 15, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Daily Forecast posted:

I'm a moron who preordered too, and I downloaded the patch when I was gone at work and left steam running. Try right clicking the entry in the steam list and "view DLC" and see if Dead Kings is in there.

Hurf. I just loaded AC:U and it was there. No idea when it downloaded, perhaps when I verified cache?

:downs:

Whatevs. I'm enjoying it so far, and it seems to be running just fine. Yay. More SassyCreed!

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

What does "Play Club Competition" mean?

Now I'm in LGSA do I just have to wait the 5 days or whatever for the competition to be over so I can actually by the locked Prowler equipment?

Something weird is going on with the club stuff, cause I haven't played ANY club competitions and they seem to be slowly unlocking the club items. Ubisoft changed how they're doing things?

Otherwise, I'm under the impression your "club" has to win that week-period-whatever for the item to be available to JUST your group. Like I said though, I think its some weird staggered release now in that the club that wins gets the item now, everyone else gets it a week later.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Earwicker posted:

I thought Rogue itself was supposed to be a full fledged Templar game :confused:

Haven't played it but I'm pretty sure Shaye starts out as an Assassin and defects to the Templars, hence why he has eagle vision and a assassin wristblade.

What the other posters are talking about is a game where you're Templar all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

So does Dead Kings explain how Arno rejoins the Brotherhood? Because he's kicked out in AC:U and then after you finish the game you get the Master Assassin outfit and he talks about the meaning of the Creed.

Nope!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we get a "date" for the end of the game when Arno has the master robes. Dead Kings is set after the main story (hence Arno's shabby robes) but before "the end".

I assume, and this is a huge Dead Kings spoiler, he redeems himself and rises through the ranks in Egypt.

• Locked thread