Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

canyoneer posted:

I'm waiting for the series to do a "Note: Poochie Desmond died on the way back to his home planet" and skip all the stupid animus stuff.

Uh....did you not play AC3 or 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Actually I think no. Abstergo has never seen him before.

If I remember correctly, there's literally a giant safety warning on those view screens saying "WATCH OUT FOR THESE TWO POTENTIAL SPIES" with Shaun and Rebecca's faces plastered right on it. The guy who works in the coffee shop directly along the path from the front door to the main elevator that leads to the entire rest of the building, and the courier who routinely walks up to Shaun and has long, sarcastic, loud conversations in front of everyone.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It's to emphasize the customization and co-op.

Plus I think you always appear as Arno to yourself.

Yeah, it's Watch Dogs styled in that sense, you always are Arno in your game, and everybody else is playing one of the three dudes who randomly show up to help you out. Of course, to them, you look like one of those dudes yourself.

Now, if they would've just said that as an explanation for why the 4 characters were male, they could've saved themselves a bit of trouble.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Azubah posted:

I guess Liberation sold like poo poo.

It did, but that was because it was a poorly coded and buggy game on a less popular platform. I mean, I even really like Liberation, but that game felt like it was held together with chewing gum. Aveline was a cool character though, but they keep giving her the worst content to deal with. A portable game and a linear, sub-hour-long side story?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Beeez posted:

I'm surprised there are people who aren't into the time anomalies, people are always talking about their dream time periods to have a game set in, they introduce a mechanic in which you get to see different eras of assassin gameplay including getting a chance to see what a WWII assassin was like, and people are upset about that for some reason. I mean, every AC has had things that bring it down, but at times it seems like people are looking for things with which to find fault, by hook or by crook.

It also increases the odds of me getting to bring a machine gun into Revolutionary France.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

'Hackable features' might be in-game cheats from the sound of it.

Yeah, that's the vibe I get. Infinite health maybe, stuff like that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Azubah posted:

Didn't this used to be the things you unlocked if you 100%'d a chapter?

Only in a couple of games. Black Flag tied it into overall completion.

If you read that post, it sounds like they might be more like booster packs. So potentially let's say if you're having a hard time getting through the mission and you have some disposable income, you can buy a temporary boost to your stealth or whatnot. Of course, this is giving the benefit of the doubt, but hopefully they're not doing anything stupid like hiding fun poo poo behind a paywall.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Daveski posted:

The uPlay rewards have been in every game since II at least, at the boosts are completely optional. I don't see why this matters at all.

The boosts are buyable with real money.

But they're also, like you said, entirely optional, and are only there for the occasional fool who wants to pay money to make the game temporarily easier. It's possible that they then made the game incredibly difficult to force people to buy them, but unless that's the case, yeah, this is so far a thing that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

EDIT: I suppose the system for these buyable bonuses making it so the game isn't available on Steam is a problem, actually. So yeah, that part sucks. But as for the game itself, it doesn't seem all that bad of a system so far.

DOUBLE EDIT: Of course, literally the moment I post that edit, Unity and Far Cry 4 got added back on to Steam, soooo...

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 7, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Not for the Euros! :(

Well, crap, then that's lovely as hell.

Or at least it would be, except that, as an American, I know that Europe is a mythical fantasyland created by Ubisoft to get more locations for videogames.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Do you think the frame rate and graphics problems on PS4 could have something to do with the Firmware 2.0 update effecting some games, and could be fixed by a day one patch? I know the evolve beta had to be pulled down do to the 2.0 firmware causing problems with it.

I would doubt this, but at the same time, Black Flag for the PS4 did up the game's resolution with a patch down the line.

I've been reading opinions from people who got the game early, and the general idea is that while the game has some bad problems with clipping and a few graphical issues, the game itself is like a mix of Assassin's Creed and Hitman. Apparently an early mission has you killing a guy, but it's very open ended and gives you a couple different examples of ways to do it, like taking a key off a guy to get in as opposed to parkouring your way through.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 8, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

haunted bong posted:

It's been pretty solid for me, outside of the aforementioned area and occasional stutters. PS4 version.

Yeah, I get what are noticeable stutters from time to time, but so far nothing that's making me throw the controller to the ground in anger or anything. Personally, I think the game looks drat pretty, although I haven't gotten too far in yet.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Personally, I feel like I'd like the new combat more if the frame rate didn't get to get lower when you've got a crowd around. They expect you to get better at timing your blocks and stuff, which is cool, but then in practice it means that things just get choppy and you're not able to react to anything in time. Really, I'd be much happier with the game if it ran better. The crowds are great, but then you see somebody get stuck on some pathfinding, or magically jump six feet in the air for no reason, or you're in a huge battle, but the framerate gets so choppy that it starts to get hard to tell what's going on. Like somebody said, there's a pretty good core game in here, I'm enjoying even just walking around the city streets for the first time since AC1, but the technical issues are really holding it back, and that's coming from somebody who normally can overlook polish and framerate issues.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 13, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

It's an exception, alright.

To me, AC3 felt like a ton of really interesting systems that all did not work together in the slightest.

Hunting? Cool idea, but useless in practice.

Crafting and economic trading? Cool idea, but useless in practice.

The entire plot? Useless.

Everything in the game just didn't mesh together into a cohesive whole, so what you're left with is an entire game of half-baked ideas that don't pay off into anything. I spent the entire game waiting for it to all click and come together, and then suddenly the game was over and they introduced a whole brand new system that was a cool idea, but useless in practice.

I'm having this same issue with Unity, because while I can see a good game in there if they do something about the performance issues and glitches, there's still the annoying app components that pull you out of the game. I'm not excited about finding and unlocking chests, because there's like a 70% chance that it either requires a higher level of lockpicking that I'm arbitrarily blocked off from getting until I play enough of the story, or it's a chest that requires the stupid bullshit app to unlock. At least with the community unlocks in Black Flag, they stay unlocked if you want to start a new game and have the stuff right from the start.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 16, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

As long as they refer to themselves as "The order", "our order"... it could have worked.

Yeah, but this would require an entire game of them ducking around ever saying the words Templar or Assassin for the whole time. Not a single database entry could hint at it (and they already managed to spoil major plot events in the codex entries anyway). It's a ton of work for something that even the slightest misstep could completely unravel anyway. I was already getting suspicious with how they kept dodging around with their language, there's no way it wouldn't have been patently obvious by the end. You can pull a twist like that in a movie or book where you can control exactly what information a player can get, but it's a lot harder to do in something interactive.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Phetz posted:

I think an AC taking place after blades are rendered completely irrelevant would probably take the form of something more like The Saboteur. That game had building-climbing parkour with guns in a European city--the same city as Unity. Replace the hidden blades with a sleeve gun and bam--AssCreed with guns as the primary armament.

Do we really want to go to an AC universe where every single enemy has guns instead of swords and is therefore trying to shoot you all the time?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's 6:30 in the morning and I laughed out loud at the idea of a hippie assassin.

I'm picturing the Assassins losing a ton of members due to them trying to take out Templars by sneaking up close to give them a really big hug.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

gently caress the canon, Ghost in the Shell Assassin's Creed in a cyberpunk future, where you've got cybernetic implants that let you jump higher so you can run across the roofs of giant neon skyscrapers.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Sandweed posted:

Is the asscree initiates thing even supposed to do anything? I have done a lot of the stuff you are supposed to do for badges and stuff but none of it is marked as completed.

As has been mentioned before, it's supposed to, yes, but in the usual style, the servers are all hosed up and nothing's showing up.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

macnbc posted:

I still believe that AC4 hit a good balance with this. It kept the mandatory modern-day sections to a minimum, while leaving room to go explore and find a bunch of cool poo poo if you were into it.

That way it satisfied people who just wanted to get back to being a pirate, and those who like the meta-narrative as well.

I don't think every AC game needs to do it exactly the same way (first-person, with the Abstergo Entertainment offices), but I think the balance it offered was good.

And yet people were still angryposting about how this game was forcing them to do bullshit modern day stuff (even though if they actually played the game instead of bitching to the internet about it, they'd realize it literally took maybe five minutes if you didn't take any time to explore and then you were right back to piracy).

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

macnbc posted:

People are going to angrypost about literally everything though. There are people who think AC4 was the best game in the series, and there are people who think it's the worst. People play the games for different reasons and enjoy different things.

The best you can do is come up with a balance that pisses off the least number of people, and I personally feel AC4 did the best job of hitting that balance.

Oh, I completely agree, your post just reminded me of those posts and how they just couldn't, you know, play for five minutes before they went to the internet to complain about it. It's like the video equivalent of watching a movie with your parents, and your mom keeps asking "Who is that guy? What is he doing?" every single time a character appears on screen.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Razakai posted:

I was also a big fan of the modern story stuff and felt like they killed Desmond off because they couldn't be bothered to progress the modern story. I was also mad as hell at how lame the Desmond mission where you break into Abstergo was.

Yeah, no biggie, it's only the moment the entire series has been building up to, we can totally just half rear end that, it's cool.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

OctoberCountry posted:

Thanks, I played the game so I picked up on the most of the obvious stuff. It's more of the modern day meta-plot I've lost track of except for the fact that Juno is an internet ghost or something

So does Shay show up in Unity at all? The ending made it seem like he'd be the main villain, but from what I've heard that's not the case.

Not really, he's there in the obvious scene, but you never see his face. It's more like an easter egg sort of thing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

My favorite thing about AC besides the multiplayer were the 'build an Assassin Brotherhood and use them' mechanics that I wish would come back.

It seemed a little weird to me that you couldn't like recruit a pirate crew that you could use in a similar fashion to the Brotherhood stuff, but I can certainly see why they'd want to shake things up and avoid feature creep.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Arno's okay, but Elise is pretty cool. I was pretty disappointed I wasn't playing as her, honestly.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Something the game really could have used was a short optional video running down the various parts of the revolution. As is they just kind of throw people, factions and events at you and expect you to just look up the info on your own.

Well, this is something the series always did, hence the big database entries that explain what's up. That said, the Revolution barely matters to this game, which makes it a little weird and confusing. Like, this game could have basically taken place at any point in history, and the only thing that would change would be the names.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

idiotmeat posted:

Bugs and story aside, is AC:U fun?

As somebody who is REALLY enjoying turning off the HUD and just wandering around the gorgeously detailed streets and taking in the crowds, no, not really. It reminds me of AC1, in that everything feels kinda rough and prototypey, except with the added bonus of bullshit cross-connectivity stuff that means that I can't let my gaming OCD take over because I have to complete some arbitrary poo poo on an app just to open a chest.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, Brotherhood is a damned good open world, plenty to unlock, tons to do, plus it always feels badass to unleash a swarm of assassins on your target. On the downside, it's the middle of an ongoing story, and it makes NO attempt to fill you in on what's going on.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

So what's the issue with Unity?

You might want to pull up a chair.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Patch Notes -

The phrase "Never Again" permanently branded on the hands and foreheads of all staff members involved in the creation of Initiates and the Unity Companion App.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rookersh posted:

Both are easily handwaved by "Assassins are really good at listening for verbal cues/have the patrol routes memorized so they know when people are going to be in certain places." and "That dude has like 7 swords on him, he's probably not someone I should gently caress with/That guy looks exactly like the guy I was told to kill, and is surrounded by armed guards."

Nah, Assassin's vision is straight up talked about in-universe by the characters. Off the top of my head, I know Kenway specifically talks to Kidd about how he can concentrate and see things, and he's been able to do it since he can remember. I'm sure it's come up before in previous games as well, but yeah, Assassins literally have special magic vision that lets them see hidden things in the environment and determine the allegiance of characters they look at. Don't forget, Desmond has Assassin vision, and he's in the real world running around, not even plugged into the Animus. Granted, he sees Lucy as friendly, so maybe his is on the fritz, but it still exists as an actual thing ingame.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Palpek posted:

You're going to love the hell out of it then.

Oh yeah, it should be stated that as somebody who loved Black Flag, I just got Rogue via gamefly to try out, and aside from the fact that I don't like Shay as much as Edward, and that I kinda feel a little dirty killing Assassin bros, I'm REALLY digging it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

macnbc posted:

I always interpreted it as they were just really good at picking up on subtle clues and tracking things, and eagle vision is sort of the Animus's abstracted interpretation of it. Like I don't think Edward or Shay or whoever actually sees their target painted in a gold light, they just are able to make a mental note of their target and track them better than others.

Seeing things others don't I think is seeing First Civ symbols, sort of like how Arno does in the Bastille but others can't.

But again, Desmond isn't in the Animus, and yet he's able to do it as well, complete with glowing people and everything. And yet they even go to the trouble of explaining the in-game camera in 3 as being a remote drone that Shaun is operating.

(Of course the answer to all this is "it's a videogame", but it's still fun to discuss the inconsistencies that are just plain going to pop up when you keep a series going for almost a decade and pumping out yearly entries. That being said, I was really looking forward to the game explaining how the hell Arno has mindreading powers. Not even a throwaway line of dialogue "Oh, I don't understand it myself, I could just always do it"? Sheesh.)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

There's something to be said for the series starting to take a nose dive as soon as he left. He was able to work on Brotherhood, I know. It was after he left that AC3 came out and completely dropped the ball on the story he'd been telling.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rogue also lets you walk around in this outfit, so it's the best game in the franchise.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

The changes in climbing are alright, but I'm mainly in love with the ability to quickly descend whenever I need to, without having to look for a haystack or just jump off a roof and pray I don't die from fall damage.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

HORMELCHILI posted:

Is Rogue in the new unity engine or is it closer to black flag in visual quality/controls? The lighting in Unity is really spectacular.

It looks and plays exactly like Black Flag, but with more features and new environments, stuff like that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

tripwood posted:

Black Flag ran like a beauty on my (oldish) gaming laptop but Unity looks like total, washed-out crap and makes it overheat. Will I be able to play Rogue or should I give up and bury my PC in shame?

Rogue uses the Black Flag engine, Unity is currently the only Assassin's Creed game that uses the Unity engine. Despite coming out around the same time, Unity is the next-gen exclusive version with the new graphics and stuff. Rogue is essentially an expansion on Black Flag, by which I mean it is like Black Flag + Even More Cool Stuff.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Deakul posted:

One thing I'm curious about is I noticed that the Deluxe Edition of Rogue comes with the time savers crap, is there any way to prevent that stuff from activating?

The language makes it sound like you can give those away, so it sounds like your order will come with codes for each of them, which you can choose to use or give away as you wish.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, literally the only reason I'm not immediately putting money down on Rogue (I even rented the PS3 version from Gamefly just to make sure it's good) is because my PC's not quite all the way up to spec, and the second I order it, I'm worried they're gonna announce a PS4 port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

God DAMMIT, I had almost gone a day without wanting a Skies of Arcadia sequel.

Also Skies of Arcadia is literally Pirates with Airships, and it is The Best.

• Locked thread