Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When you think about it, we're all just 2d side scrollers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Every time I pay for a Ubisoft game it feels like getting kicked in the balls. Maybe this time will be different... game starts series of unskippable cutscenes at 320x200.

edit: okay what the poo poo do I do about this

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 26, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm feeling like the controls are very clunky. Trying to do complicated time-limited tasks when Arno won't get off a goddamn chimney or step his toe over an imaginary ledge is very frustrating. Is there a way to switch targets in combat? I will often go to attack a guy and have Arno slowly back towards him, then lunge at a completely different guy and lock the camera to the floor in a kill animation. I often feel like I'm flailing half-blind due to restricted camera angles and a seeming ability to choose who to attack. It would be comical how terrible he is at fighting if I didn't have to complete objectives.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here? The game is very pretty and I want to like the setting, although I'm also detecting a disturbing lack of connection between anything happening vis the revolution and my plot line.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So if your connection to uplay hiccups it kicks you out of co-op missions and makes you start over? Nice.

It occurs to me that if I had not paid for the game this would not happen.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To clarify this was in Play Privately.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd say the game is pretty and it's an Assassin's Creed game but otherwise it's not great. It's a forgettable title in the series. The story is disjointed to the point of almost being incoherent, the missions are repetitive, and the setpiece missions that were memorable in AC II and AC: Brotherhood (the best ones) are not memorable in Unity. Arno doesn't receive much characterization. The game manages to debut a new main character and one of the most interesting settings they could have picked and then fails to develop either of them.

Ancien Regime Paris and Versailles are very, very pretty. Parkour controls are slightly improved. Combat is harder but due to some problems with camera control not really more fun. The Animus missions are better in concept than they have been for several games, but still are fairly repetitive.

For some reason in the English version they decided to give all the French characters English accents. It was jarring enough to make me put the game on French. Can they not do comical French accents like they did comical Italian accents?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Whiny? I think I managed to play for a good three hours without Arno speaking a word. It kinda made me jump when he actually had a line in some mission briefing.

Arno is hilariously under-characterized. Who is he? I'm in Sequence 5 and all I know about him is that his dad got killed and he lived with M. La Salle as a stable boy and fell in love with the boss's daughter. Then his boss/surrogate dad got murdered and he's an assassin now. That's it. He hasn't actually done anything except blandly seek revenge. He is occasionally less thoughtful than he should be. He doesn't have much to say. What does he think about things? Does he have overweening pride and ambition like Altair? Does he have panache and a heart of gold like Ezio? Autistic rage like Connor? A drinking problem and an estranged wife like Edward? Not as far as I can tell. He hasn't even expressed an opinion about the French Revolution going on around him. He doesn't appear to have a personality at all. His dumb little argument with La Salle's butler was the most entertaining thing he's done all game. If I had to describe him right now all I would say is "earnest and not too bright."

He's like the best parkourer in the series, and there's zero reason presented for it either. Ezio learned to climb into girls' windows as a randy teen, Connor climbed big trees, Edward was a sailor, and Arno is better at climbing than all of them for... no reason at all.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 2, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

macnbc posted:

Don't forget also Arno has the ability to telepathically read the memories of people he's assassinated. (Those aren't just clips for the audience, Arno actually states in a conversation that he "read someone's memories.")

This is something that goes totally unexplained in the entire game, and also has no basis from any of the previous AC games to draw from. It's completely out of nowhere and makes no sense.

None of the other assassins really seem that surprised by it either. They just take his claims at face value.

This is really dumb because Assassin's Creed II, only the second game in the series, understood the little confession memories well enough to surprise the player by having the Borgia guy stab Ezio and turn the expectation around with the player character lying on the floor bleeding and the bad guy asking the questions. It takes a certain understanding of how you've established the narrative format in order to subvert it like that. Clearly by Unity whoever is writing it does not possess that level of understanding.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 3, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No the assassination memories always made sense up until now. You're playing a simulation in the Animus that is not 1:1 accurate to what the ancestor experienced. You just have to get close enough to maintain sync. I always thought the assassination cutscenes are "canon memories" that your ancestor really experienced, as opposed to the "non-canon" Animus simulation. Presumably the historical assassins didn't crouch on a chair for five seconds pinwheeling their arms before murdering the guy, just like the player's clumsy assassination in the Animus is not whatever sneaky poo poo they pulled off that let them have a chat with the dying target.

Arno seeing their memories makes zero sense without invoking supernatural abilities though.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 3, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is it not a kick in the balls then? I have to admit with every misstep and mistake in the series I still live the core gameplay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to say I spent an hour going through the 4-player co-op mission Les Enrages solo and forgot to stock up on medicine before I went and it felt like an Assassin's Creed game again. I actually had to worry about guards, timing, had to use smoke bombs and the phantom blade in new ways that I hadn't thought of before, got a ton of use out of Disguise and actually assassinated the target without being detected.

I previously played it with four other people and it was a boring clusterfuck. Maybe a lot of the level design effort going to co-op missions where it's wasted by chucklefucks is one of the problems with unmemorable and short missions in Unity? Turns out it was actually a great, tense, skill-demanding hour+ mission done solo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is Unity the first game with these murder mystery missions? I'm really enjoying being M. Dorian, Inspecteur Parisien. Like more than most of the game. I put on the Shay outfit and walk around respectable and everything.* The only mystery he hasn't solved: how people get into their houses with no doors or stairs.

*As respectable as a man can be without a cocked hat! I have got to collect those Napoleon things in order to be dressed decently in public.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 6, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't understand how the parkour is supposed to be better in Unity. Arno does whatever the gently caress he wants and I just kinda point him in a direction. If Arno wants to leap 15 feet to the left or hang from a door knocker while a dozen guards shoot at him then by God Arno is going to do it.

The parkour up/down thing sounds like a good idea until you realize you can't use it and the right thumbstick at the same time. It hinders navigation.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 6, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I can't complete the parkour section in The Tournament. Arno is too hard to control. But mostly it's the mission design, whoever did this should be fired. I've been at it for a good 30 minutes. It's a ridiculous, pointless gate that appears to exist only to pad out the mission but for me has broken it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

The changes in climbing are alright, but I'm mainly in love with the ability to quickly descend whenever I need to, without having to look for a haystack or just jump off a roof and pray I don't die from fall damage.

This feature would be better if it didn't automatically tilt the camera straight down whenever you use it, effectively blinding the player.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I give up, I guess I just won't ever complete The Tournament or get the Phantom Hood that's locked behind it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

Sorry man, I don't think even modern laptops could run Unity very well. But the good (bad?) news is that it probably isn't entirely your computer's fault; AC:U is just really poorly optimized. Rogue might've gotten a better port.

Runs beautifully on high settings on my brand spanking new laptop.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh the parkour developers should each have to solo this garbage. It's a constant battle with the controls.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like the murder mysteries but only the 5 star one was any challenge. I missed the sand caking the butcher's assistant's boots and accused the surgeon's assistant because the notebook seemed to be the only connection between victim and suspect. I forgot that the victim had recently returned from grocery shopping.

I would seriously pay money for a detective game set in 1792 Paris though.

Can anyone explain what's going on with controller rumble? Often when I'm sneaking around or looking for things it will give brief jerks but I'm not sure why.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 8, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow I'm on Sequence 8 or 9 Hoarders and it's a great example of Unity being unable to find its rear end with both hands. I've got this optional mission objective to rescue a guy who has literally never been mentioned before. Outside of this little checkbox in my UI he might as well not even exist. I didn't rescue him and it appears he will never be mentioned again. Can you imagine this happening in Black Flag even? This is a main story quest. What a complete failure of basic writing and design.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I would kill several men for an AC in a Parisian belle époque setting, like those bits from Unity. But good like Black Flag.

The British Raj is an obvious setting. Lots of historical events happening and a crazy vibrant and diverse setting, but with enough blank canvas to tell whatever stories the writers want.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

Slightly disappointed with the fact that the Morrigan is smaller and has less guns than the Jackdaw, but the speed and maneuverability are definitely really nice.

Wow the Jackdaw was already hilariously maneuverable. The Morrigan must handle like a jetski. IRL it could take a minute or two for a sailing ship to make a U-turn. Everything's human-powered and the sails need to be drastically repositioned if you significantly alter the ship's heading relative to the wind.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Palpek posted:

If anything Black Flag 3 should be set on the Viking planet. This would own both as an Assassin's Creed setting and sailing environment.

With the obvious problem that the Viking's didn't build cities for anyone to climb on.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orv posted:

The best bits of Edward and Ezio with none of the downsides except your typical protagonist blind spots.

What? Arno is utterly generic.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think Brotherhood really was the peak of the series. Black Flag is fun but it's no Pirates! Gold.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's great how they made cover a big deal, and then removed the button that let you run without jumping up on top of cover.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Snuffman posted:

Don't feel bad. Unity had a lot of good ideas in it: the best city in the series yet, murder mysteries, greater emphasis on stealth, open assassinations. It's certainly not my least favourite AC. I definitely like it more than AC3.

The problem was the stealth was half baked. How is it Ubisoft can nail stealth so well in Blacklist and totally botch it in Unity? There was also waaay too many collectables and app tie in silliness. Also performance issues, except on the PC I'm wondering if that nvidia 970 GTX memory flaw played a large role.

Unity didn't run amazing on my PC (780 GTX), but I had nowhere NEAR the issues say, Total Biscuit had in his videos (running two 970 GTX in SLI? Hmmmm....). Watching his videos, it looks unplayable. I had frame rate drops and the occasional freeze but it was still quite playable.

The Coop was a lot of fun.

Man. One can never tell with this series which are going to be "the good ones". I was all fired up for AC3 and it sucked. Less than enthused for Brohood (Ezio again? Heavy emphasis on multiplayer?) and AC4 (looked like it was designed by a committee after the failure of AC3) and those two are now my favorites. I even adored the multiplayer enough to sub to xboxlive gold JUST for assassins creed multiplayer.

Cautiously optimistic about Victory.

Brotherhood did the "emphasis on multiplayer" right. There was a lot of singleplayer content and a good multiplayer mode if you wanted it. Unity did it wrong. You can tell a lot of the level design effort went into co-op missions and the single player lost a bunch of good stuff.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So I got Napoleon's outfit and have half the murder mysteries left to do. My Javert cosplay is going swimmingly. It's amazing how much better Arno blends in with 18th century Paris with a cocked hat and uniform coat rather than his ridiculous hood getup that literally no one else wears.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's Chronicles: China like? Is it a side scroller or what?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What? You get the awesome hat just by getting the awesome hat in Dead Kings.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JFC posted:

I just started playing Unity for the first time last week and it hasn't been buggy for me. Everything seems to be working fine.

Drop everything, ignore the main quest, go do Dead Kings, get all the Napoleon hats, wear an actual 18th century outfit. Seriously, it's amazing how Arno is disguised as the only man in Paris wearing a hood. They're not hard to get. Should take a few hours, but only because you need to do a few quests from Dead Kings to get them all. There's like 12. Go do it. Wear the hat. Be the first Assassin's Creed character to wear a goddamn hat. A nice loving hat. A respectable hat. A hat ladies will look at and think "That's a nice hat, I should probably sleep with whatever guy is underneath that hat." Because you deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Turn the crowds down and get the god drat frame rate up to at least 30...

...is what they won't do because they're morons. I made it through Unity but god drat it was a slideshow and those massive numbers of NPCs were worth it maybe once, and even then it was just visually. Has anyone mentioned that Ubi's staking their entire holiday on this one game?

upgrade your potato, Unity ran fine

• Locked thread